• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu chain grabbing (with vids)

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Here is the chain grab data which I have collected thus far.

Forward throw:

Bowser - 0%-60%
Captain Falcon - 0%-60%
DeDeDe 0%-60%
Donkey Kong - 0%-60%
Falco - 0%-60%
Fox 0%-50%
Ganondorf - 0%-60%
Ike - 0%-60%
Link - 0%-60%
Sheik - 0%-70%
Snake - 0%-60%
Wolf - 0%-60%

Down throw:

Captain Falcon - 0%-80%
Fox 0%-70%
Sheik - 0%-60%
Wolf - 0%-30%

Here's a bunch of videos of me chain grabbing a few characters:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F16EE45DA12E8A23

You should be aware that this was done between 4 and 5am so I was a little off on some of them. The only thing I have left to do, is to redo the entire cast and have some else do the chain grabbing while I try to escape.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Quick question, when CGing Ike, do you have to do a running grab? That seems to be the only way I can catch them quick enough. Also, I tried it on level 9 computer (ike) who would DI or dodge it if your timing wasnt perfect. Not that its terribly difficult to get the timing perfect, but it also makes me think its a true CG.

Also, would you mind updating your original list? I noticed you did some that werent on there (dk fthrow), and didnt do some that are on there. Thanks so much!

Forward throw:

Snake - 0%-60%
Wolf - 0%-60%
Falco - 0%-60%
Ike - 0%-60%
Sheik - 0%-70%
DeDeDe 0%-60%
Bowser - 0%-60%
Sonic 0%-40% (tight timing)
Fox 0%-50%
Captain Falcon - 0%-60%
Ganondorf - 0%-60%

Down throw:

Wolf - 0%-30%
Donkey Kong - 0%-60%
Link - 0%-60%
Sheik - 0%-60%
Fox 0%-70%
Captain Falcon - 0%-80%
Also, could there be any characters that can be chaingrabbed after taking a certain amount of damage (where normally they would fall to short/soon). Like with Ike, I noticed that you have more leeway in your grabbing time after he's taken 10%, so maybe other characters who can't be chainbragged at 0% can be chaingrabbed a bit higher?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
You seemed very slow when CGing the Fox
Like I said, doing this at 5am didn't really help much... >_> But thanks for your input, I guess.

Quick question, when CGing Ike, do you have to do a running grab? That seems to be the only way I can catch them quick enough. Also, I tried it on level 9 computer (ike) who would DI or dodge it if your timing wasnt perfect. Not that its terribly difficult to get the timing perfect, but it also makes me think its a true CG.
For all f.throw CGrabs, you have to dash then grab. For some characters, I do think that you need a specific timing.

Also, would you mind updating your original list? I noticed you did some that werent on there (dk fthrow), and didnt do some that are on there. Thanks so much!
I'll update the list after I test every single one of them again but this time, I'll let someone else to the CGrab and I'll try to get out of it. Now, That list was done very quickly but it also written by one of my teammates while I was testing the CGrabs. He may have made some mistakes (not in the numbers but in the type of throw). I jsut copied and pasted the list from the Notepad file. The reason why i'm saying this is because I'm pretty sure that you can't CGrab DK using d.throw.

Also, There are more vids to come. I have a ton of videos to edit but I'll upload the rest over the weekend. I'll also post the new list in this thread.

Also, could there be any characters that can be chaingrabbed after taking a certain amount of damage (where normally they would fall to short/soon). Like with Ike, I noticed that you have more leeway in your grabbing time after he's taken 10%, so maybe other characters who can't be chainbragged at 0% can be chaingrabbed a bit higher?
I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about applies to Sheik, Sonic, and possibly Wolf. It may apply to others as well.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
sorry for that vague post. I was wondering for characters with certain timing, do you think it would be more efficient if I just shield grabbed out of my dash, or just dash grabbed them?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
D.Disciple, at least in my experience with ike, you can't shield grab out of dash CG (it doesnt happen quick enough). But just to be sure...
For all f.throw CGrabs, you have to dash then grab.
Sorry, just for clarity, that means you can not shield grab out of dash? As I said, I tried hard to dash shield grab with ike, but to no avail. Just wanted to check to make sure that was your experience too.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Sonic can get out of the forward throw chain grab at 0% its not tight timing. its more like: if the sonic doesn't have sharp timing enough you can beat him to it.
I'm pretty sure he can but it just looks so close...

anytime i try to CG Ike i get punched in the face by his jab =\
I haven't missed that one on Ike yet but maybe my opponent did something wrong.

D.Disciple, at least in my experience with ike, you can't shield grab out of dash CG (it doesnt happen quick enough). But just to be sure...

Sorry, just for clarity, that means you can not shield grab out of dash? As I said, I tried hard to dash shield grab with ike, but to no avail. Just wanted to check to make sure that was your experience too.
I've only done running grabs. It is possible to dash-> shield cancel -> grab. I think running shield grabs would be a bit slow.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Thank God snake Ike and wolf can all be chain grabbed. Thanks so much Ruuku, but two questions.

One, can you go from dthrow chain grab to fthrow? I think the only one that really matters much for is wolf, since you can dthrow then fthrow him across the stage to a much higher percent.

Second, when you say thus far, does that mean theres potentially still characters that can be chaingrabbed? Or is that pretty much it for who can and can't be chaingrabbed?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Thank God snake Ike and wolf can all be chain grabbed. Thanks so much Ruuku, but two questions.

One, can you go from dthrow chain grab to fthrow? I think the only one that really matters much for is wolf, since you can dthrow then fthrow him across the stage to a much higher percent.
For Wolf, I usually do about two d.throws then f.throws across the stage into edge guard. So yes, it is possible.

Second, when you say thus far, does that mean theres potentially still characters that can be chaingrabbed? Or is that pretty much it for who can and can't be chaingrabbed?
Like I said, I still need to get someone else to do the grabbing while I attempt to escape. I think it's pretty much it for who can and can't be. Once I get a Wii, it will be easier for me to check the exact percentage to which Pikachu can chain grab the characters on my list.

Kiro13

Smash Cadet
You can chain grab Pit with the Down Throw when you time it right up until about 30% and then they can DI away from it, or at least that is at what percentage my friend kept getting to before he got out of it.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
lawls at ppl complaining about "only 50%" chaingrabs.

someone re-confirm the cg's on fox, wolf, and falco. i've seen a couple of vids where the shine and jab combos break out of it. Ruuku, gj on the vids, but obviously we need other ppl confirming it. good stage choice, too.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
lawls at ppl complaining about "only 50%" chaingrabs.

someone re-confirm the cg's on fox, wolf, and falco. i've seen a couple of vids where the shine and jab combos break out of it. Ruuku, gj on the vids, but obviously we need other ppl confirming it. good stage choice, too.
Thanks. See, the thing is that I don't even have a Wii yet. >_< So it's difficult for me to do these tests properly. But now that final exams are over, I'll either get my own Wii or play a lot more with my teammates. The thing about the space animals is that they all have certain fast or high priority moves which seem to leave no room for mistakes in your chain grab timing.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I think that Pikachu player's timing wasn't correct. I'm pretty sure you're suppose to grab before your opponent hits the ground.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
hopefully the cg's work on fox and the other spacies. all three of them are probably towards the top of the tier list. i'll try it out this weekend on my friend and post my thoughts.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
ok, after a LOT of smashing...it has been determined...pika can cg fox. *deep breath*.....yeahh, not a big discovery :p, but still it's really tight timing. Ruuku, i think you should add that disclaimer, just because fox can not only shine pika...but can grab him back. Very dangerous.

snake, i don't think it's 60%...i only got it up to 50% before DI kicked in and falco and wolf are both weird with the timing. you're right, all the spacies can use some kind of move to get out of it. the cg's work...but i'll post more test results later.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I'm finally getting a Wii this week. So as soon as I have it and i unlock all the characters, I'll finish all of this.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
fthrow chainthrows have incredibly tight timing, especially at higher/lower percents. So it's possible it goes to 60% but is easier up to 50%.

That said, I have bad news. The fthrow chaingrab doesnt work the way we think it might and might not work at all.

I tested this on a DK (so it might not be for all charcters), but if they land and spot dodge right away, they can avoid the chaingrab. They have very tight timing, basically they have to shield and press down and if any portion of their shield shows up, they do it wrong and will end up chaingrabeed. But if they do it right (and with practice they can do it will consistancy), they can avoid it since it's done almost instantaneously as soon as they touch the ground.

That said, I might possibly have found a way around it. If they do spot dodge, if you do a reverse grab and time the grab perfectly I think theres a way to grab them after the spot dodge, but you have to almost predict whether they will spot dodge or not.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Sorry if this is a noob questions.

On a down throw, how fast are you supposed to re grab your opponent after the release? I've had some trouble maintaining my grab because my opponent has been able to DI away or break it with an attack. I feel like I might be grabbing to slow, but when I try to speed up I start to miss.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
fthrow chainthrows have incredibly tight timing, especially at higher/lower percents. So it's possible it goes to 60% but is easier up to 50%.

That said, I have bad news. The fthrow chaingrab doesnt work the way we think it might and might not work at all.

I tested this on a DK (so it might not be for all charcters), but if they land and spot dodge right away, they can avoid the chaingrab. They have very tight timing, basically they have to shield and press down and if any portion of their shield shows up, they do it wrong and will end up chaingrabeed. But if they do it right (and with practice they can do it will consistancy), they can avoid it since it's done almost instantaneously as soon as they touch the ground.

That said, I might possibly have found a way around it. If they do spot dodge, if you do a reverse grab and time the grab perfectly I think theres a way to grab them after the spot dodge, but you have to almost predict whether they will spot dodge or not.
I think that with proper timing, you should be able to grab your opponent before he hits the ground. But again, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to buy a Wii this week to confirm all of this.

Sorry if this is a noob questions.

On a down throw, how fast are you supposed to re grab your opponent after the release? I've had some trouble maintaining my grab because my opponent has been able to DI away or break it with an attack. I feel like I might be grabbing to slow, but when I try to speed up I start to miss.
You hav eto do it as fast as possible. Just as Pikachu goes back to neutral stance.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I tried perfect timing and at least with DK he hits the ground before you can grab. If they werent able to spot dodge they wouldnt be able to avoid the grab.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Alright. I'll try speeding it up a little. Weird how I'm having trouble with the down chain but no trouble with the forward chain.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I tried perfect timing and at least with DK he hits the ground before you can grab. If they werent able to spot dodge they wouldnt be able to avoid the grab.
If anything you can probably wait just a second before trying to grab again.

Top Bottom