• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Void's IC 1vs1s UPDATED 10.4! New Matches Vs R.O.B

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
(Did I miss it or there is no official IC videos thread?)

Anyway, I finally had some time to work on the rather big amount of footage I have on my computer and found these matches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OXzL1XIXQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kq0UoyeC0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHLf3Eark8
They are a bit outdated and were shot before the new late discoveries.

UPDATED 10.4: Here are some more recent matches against my friend's R.O.B:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=il06guxURgQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zn_MC_auemo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yiFET1t5Hw8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x8d1Q3WBBGg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=al-RtNLtOVU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gQ1D9yrfPo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qnwag93eWQ4

He started playing R.O.B during this fest and was able to get me to last stock regularly and even take some matches. Expect good things from him in the future.

Enjoy!

More to come! (Hopefully...)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Pretty good. As expected, the techniques you use and everything are quite good. I hope in the future you can pull off those hot 0-deaths that you do in those demonstrational videos!

HOWEVER, as a melee IC player, I do have to nitpick on somethings. I know tripping sucks, but you NEED to trot a little more for better spacing. In Brawl, for the most part, punishing a mistake is a lot better than approaching. Space your opponent and find an opportunity for a grab, and maximize on it. Don't desynch when unnecessary.

Nice uses of side-B, grabs, and dair. Your technical skill goes far beyond any other IC player at the moment, so I'm sure you can pull ahead. You probably play with ITP and stuff, and he is really good, so I know you can probably do a lot better than what's in these videos.

I look forward to watching more recent ones ^_^.

Kurosagi

Smash Apprentice
haha yayy ICs. I love the using the alternating blizzards, (I call it ice-walling for the heck of it, it's easier.) Also, after like 120+%(based on the character of course), it's safe to just use C stick + Z to charge Nana's smash as opposed to the constant c stick smashing.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully there will be a big fest/tourney in the next couple of weeks and I'll be able to get vids against more characters/players.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
nice solo climber in rounds 2 and 3. i also liked the peanut catch in mid air which ended up killing him lol.
i very suprised to see hardly any chain grabs. it really shows how good the climbers can be without chaingrabbing

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, like I said before these matches are a bit old and I didn't have alot of chainthrow practice back then. IC are still extremely good without chains and can do very well without nana. Besides, if you dont mess up your desyncs you don't lose nana anyway.

IC for top tier.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
nice matches. i was actually wanting to watch ice climbers v rob since i saw some discussion on how good rob was against the ic's. i especially liked the use of grabs in this vid like did -> grab -> smash -> nana -> the charge fsmash. that was pretty sick.

Sakki

Smash Cadet
6 Wins, 1 Loss ICs vs ROB

Amazing Performance
Very impressed with how you can use the Ice Block Lock.

The biggest flaw in your play is probably when you gimp yourself while trying to recover back to the stage. Not sure exactly what it is, but i remember feeling like you to took too long to decide on a way to get back when you probably could have just squall hammered.

Otherwise it looks like ICs are gonna get banned at this rate thanks to you xD

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
6 Wins, 1 Loss ICs vs ROB

Amazing Performance
Very impressed with how you can use the Ice Block Lock.

The biggest flaw in your play is probably when you gimp yourself while trying to recover back to the stage. Not sure exactly what it is, but i remember feeling like you to took too long to decide on a way to get back when you probably could have just squall hammered.

Otherwise it looks like ICs are gonna get banned at this rate thanks to you xD
Thanks for the comments!

Ya, the iceblock lock is great because after you start it all they can do when you stop is stand up and end up getting grabbed again.
About me gimping myself I bet your right about not deciding how to return. Sometimes I stupidly suicide because I lose track of Nana when being outside the viewable area of the stage.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
these new ones are pretty nice void, much better than the others.

i hope someday we ic players can develop so much that we don't mess up grab combos xD

i can't imagine how devastating the could be if we didn't mess up.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Void, your IC's and mine are completely different. Not that it's bad or anything, I'm just surprised by how differently we play. You keep your IC's synched most of the time, while I use many desynch tactics. You keep your grab combos short and sweet while I always try to go for the kill, but I usually mess up anyways. You use their aerial game a lot while I keep mine mostly grounded and make more use of their Ftilt, and Dtilt. You jump off the stage while trying to edgeguard, I usually keep myself on the stage while edgeguarding. It's simply nice to see the same character being played in different ways.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Void, your IC's and mine are completely different. Not that it's bad or anything, I'm just surprised by how differently we play. You keep your IC's synched most of the time, while I use many desynch tactics. You keep your grab combos short and sweet while I always try to go for the kill, but I usually mess up anyways. You use their aerial game a lot while I keep mine mostly grounded and make more use of their Ftilt, and Dtilt. You jump off the stage while trying to edgeguard, I usually keep myself on the stage while edgeguarding. It's simply nice to see the same character being played in different ways.
As far as desyncs go, you can see in my earlier videos that I have tried using them more but I didn't find any applications for them execpt spamming iceblocks and shorthopped blizzards. About the grab combos, these 0-Death combos are hard to pull off technique-wise and im still practicing the different timings on the different characters. I never really gave dtilt ftilt and jabs a try, probably a bad habit from melee... I'll remember to try them next time. Last, I didn't find a single way to edgeguard someone on the stage without them first auto sweetspotting the ledge.

It seems you have some interesting stuff to share, got any videos?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
As far as desyncs go, you can see in my earlier videos that I have tried using them more but I didn't find any applications for them execpt spamming iceblocks and shorthopped blizzards. About the grab combos, these 0-Death combos are hard to pull off technique-wise and im still practicing the different timings on the different characters. I never really gave dtilt ftilt and jabs a try, probably a bad habit from melee... I'll remember to try them next time. Last, I didn't find a single way to edgeguard someone on the stage without them first auto sweetspotting the ledge.

It seems you have some interesting stuff to share, got any videos?
I have a lot of videos of me saved on my Wii, but I have no clue how to convert the files on my SD card to play on the computer, and I don't have a capture card.

With desynchs I usually camp with desynched ice blocks or SH blizzards just like you, but I also use them as approaches. What I do to keep my style different is use desynchs as a powerful mid-range tool, which I mostly use to set up grabs, or lead into follow ups. This includes doing things like making one IC do a solo squall hammer while I dash in on my opponent, or have one IC do an Utilt while the other does an Uair or Nair to prevent my opponent from jumping in on me. I keep my desynchs varied, and they're basically the biggest asset of my play style.

Whenever I grab I always go for the 0-death combos, but I mess up around 95% of the time, but even if I do mess up I deal around 80% or more damage. Whenever I play a match I always focus on improving my technical skills so I can finally nail those 0-death chaingrabs.

When I edgeguard I make Popo stand on the stage while Nana hangs on the ledge. It's hard to describe but it's pretty simple to make Nana get on the ledge by herself. You have to use their faster walking speed(not dashing) and turn around when you basically go off the ledge. And I do use Bairs off the stage occasionally, but I like keeping myself on the ground.

EDIT:

I've also seen you use the ice block lock, which is something I've still yet to incorporate into my game. I remember you saying that if you made one IC jump and shoot an ice block to the far side of the opponent that it'll bounce them back to you resulting in a true infinite. Can you post a video of this, and if it's true can I throw in a Fsmash after bouncing them back to me?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
a lot of the time desynchs take too much concentration and are easily punishable. for the most part they are unnecessary UNLESS they are safe (aka blizzards you know the opponent will run into for a free grab)

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Excellent videos Void! Our ICs are similar, only you use blizzard more than I do. I need to sue it more effectively. Our grab combos are similar, but vary. For example, I noticed many times that you'd grab and beat the enemy with Popo, and c-stick smash with Nana. Though many times you didn't c-stick charge the Smash. I do the opposite, I almost always charge the c-stick for a bit (when the enemy is at high %-- they have a lessened chance of escape), and almost never use simple Nana smashes. I suppose once your enemy is around 100-120% a c-stick smash (uncharged) is all you need to kill them--- this of course depends on how close to the edge of the level you are.

Exciting matches, nice technique, thanks for the vids!

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
a lot of the time desynchs take too much concentration and are easily punishable. for the most part they are unnecessary UNLESS they are safe (aka blizzards you know the opponent will run into for a free grab)
This is why I constantly work on my desynchs so I can work on more than just that simple stuff.

EDIT:

I managed to cause an opponent to bounce back in an icelock by shooting their far side but hitting their far side with 4-5 blocks in a row is just insane and not worth it. Remember that when you stop the icelock (Stop the iceblock spam that is) your opponent will simply get up (He cant roll/get up attack etc.) so you can just run to him and punish him. Also, if you watch your timing you can walk a small distance between each iceblock so you are always in a range to fsmash them.
Thanks for the tips.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
I managed to cause an opponent to bounce back in an icelock by shooting their far side but hitting their far side with 4-5 blocks in a row is just insane and not worth it. Remember that when you stop the icelock (Stop the iceblock spam that is) your opponent will simply get up (He cant roll/get up attack etc.) so you can just run to him and punish him. Also, if you watch your timing you can walk a small distance between each iceblock so you are always in a range to fsmash them.

Sakki

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the comments!

Ya, the iceblock lock is great because after you start it all they can do when you stop is stand up and end up getting grabbed again.
About me gimping myself I bet your right about not deciding how to return. Sometimes I stupidly suicide because I lose track of Nana when being outside the viewable area of the stage.
Watched your vids again out of boredom/admiration, and it was your 3rd match against TMSH from 1:13-1:20 you just kept falling and it was kinda awkward to watch. :confused:

I also find it really funny that TMSH sometimes forgets that Nana is still their to C-stick him after he grabs Popo. xD

Top Bottom