• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discovery: Up B edge lag reduction

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Well I kept noticing that after a Up+B grabs the edge, Olimar can jump from the edge, roll and attack faster (less lag compared to a regular edgehog).

I was talking with egruntz and asked him if he noticed it too... his answer YES.

So there you have it, Olimar Up+B makes actions done while on the ledge come out faster (I will try to record a video and look it frame by frame, but it will take me time).

Help doing more research in this is always welcome.

Florida

イーグランツ
The difference between the amounts of frame lag is actually pretty noticeable. Just try to edge-hop to an fair by doing a regular edgehog (hugging) and by using your up-b. It's about a half a second of a difference; I don't know if this is a huge deal, but it's something that should be noted.

keeper

Smash Champion
Yeah, it really catches people off guard when you tether then pop off the ledge and grab this.

I've known this for awhile though as I read some other stuff about how tethers are like this. It works for any character with a tether.

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
I'm confused as to the actual series of moves that's taking place here.

Are we speeding up the ledgehopped fair back onto the stage by using the up-b?

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
This is actually true of all tether recoveries, theres a good video of Samus proving it somewhere, but unfortunately I have to head to class and can't find it now. With some of the characters who have more invincibility frames from grabbing the ledge its possible to carry those frames over into the jump/whatever, though I feel Olimar's are too short really to do it with effectively.

-True

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Hm...here's what I think:

For quite a while in Brawl, I would accidentally jump off an edge rather than edgehopping and I couldn't figure out why. One day while waiting in the WiFi training area for people in my tournament pool, I decided to mess around and figure out why I wasn't edgehopping. The result surprised me.

In Brawl, when your character makes the shockwave (from their hand, the energy bubble produced when they grab ledge), they don't immediately hang straight down like in Melee. Your character can only drop off the edge once the "swinging to a stop after grabbing" animation finishes. This animation is about sixish frames for most characters as far as I've felt out, and it was the reason I couldn't edgehop consistantly.

When your repel to the edge by means of a tether, your character doesn't do the "swinging to a stop after grabbing" animation--your character shoots to the ledge and stops, ready to do whatever. Because this animation is no longer there, it nets you quite a bit of time in which to do whatever...in this case, surprise your opponent with a quick attack.

Just my thoughts.

HTH

Top Bottom