• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle at the Border 2 - Edinburg, TX - 05/17/08

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
************BATTLE AT THE BORDER 2************

The road to Battle at the Border 2 begins NOW!!! We are back for a second year in a row to provide you all with the Rio Grande Valley's biggest fighting game tournament. Last year we had a total attendance of over 70+ players for all games and this year we only hope to grow bigger.

Date: May 17, 2008
Where: Edinburg, TX
Cyber Comics (right next to and attached to Mission Tile)
4201 W. University Dr.
Edinburg, TX 78541
Phone# (956)316-BLAM(2526)
http://www.cybercomicsblam.com

Contacts:
DEMON_JIM – (956) 454-2457
hAMM - (956) 212-0058
(call me or hAMM if you need more info, get lost, stuff happens along the way, your going to be late, etc.)

Maps: (note when searching Cyber Comics will not come up on the address search instead it says Mission Tile, that is okay the two building are conjoined together)
Location on Mapquest (click on "Directions to" and type in the address from which you are coming)

Hotels/Motels
There are no hotels/motels within walking distance so if you come in your own vehicle these places are about 5-15 minutes away driving distance.
***If you need a ride from your hotel to the venue we will do our best to accommodate you in getting you a ride***
Link to nearby hotels/motels
This link shows you all the hotels/motels within the area. Most are within a 3 mile radius. There are multiple pages so feel free to search for some more popular chain hotels/motels.
I know there is a Motel 6, Best Western, Comfort Inn, and a Super 8 within the area as far as chain hotels/motels go. The closest place to the venue is University Inn Motel which is straight down the street.

Airport Information:
McAllen - Miller International Airport
2500 S Bicentenial Blvd # 100
Mcallen, TX 78503
(956) 682-9101
The airport is about 20 minutes away from the actual venue.

Food:
Cybercomics will be selling Hot Dogs, Chips, Candy Bars, Honey Buns, and Drinks. Remember No outside food please. You may eat it in the parking lot though.

This tournament is a B.Y.O.C - Bring your own controller, we will not be providing anyone with controllers for any system (ask someone to let them lend theirs to you if you do not have a controller for a certain console.

****Everyone attending is responsible for there own equipment and other belongings. Cyber Comics nor the directors are responsible for any belongings that are stolen or missing.****

**********THIS IS A DRUG AND ALCOHOL FREE AREA**********
**********DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STEAL ANYTHING FROM CYBER COMICS - THIS IS A COMIC BOOK SHOP AND THEY ARE BEING GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO LET US HOST OUR TOURNAMENT HERE**********

**********ANYONE FOUND WITH DRUGS/ALOCOHOL OR CAUGHT STEALING WILL BE EJECTED FROM THE TOURNAMENT AND ASKED TO LEAVE THE PREMISES IMMEDIATLEY WITH ABSOLUTELY NO REFUND. CYBER COMICS AND THE DIRECTORS HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL THE POLICE ON ANYONE WHO BREAKS THESE RULES**********

Tentative Game Listing:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (PlayStation2)
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (Nintendo Wii)
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core (U.S PlayStation2)
Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo (Dreamcast)
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PlayStation3)
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (Playstation 2)

Time:
Registration starts at 11:30 A.M. (registration is pretty much all day, the latest you can register for a tournament is 30 min before that tournament
starts) *****Please call ahead if you know you will be late and are for sure coming so we may put you in the tournament*****

Game Schedule:
11:30AM
12:30PM - SSBB
1:15 - CVS2
2:00 - T5DR
3:00 - MVC2 Low Tier
4:00 - ST
5:00 - GGAC
6:00 - 3S
7:00 - MVC2

SSBB doubles begins during the semifinals of singles

All times are subject to change

Costs:
$7 registration fee - All players playing in tournaments must register, you will receive a tag to wear around your neck upon registration please don't lose it, anyone who plans on not playing in any tournament but still wants to play a lot of casual you will also need a tag. If you plan on showing up and not playing anything at all its cool you don't need to reg but other then that everyone must register)

$10 entry fee per official tournament
$5 entry fee per side tournament (TBA)
$10 entry fee per team for Brawl Doubles

Payouts for ALL Official Games:
1st 70%
2nd 20%
3rd 10%

Payouts for ALL side tournaments
1st 70%
2nd 30%

Specific Game Rules:

***Super Smash Bros: Brawl***
All items are set to off, even smash balls.
3 Stock
6 min time limit
No stage may be played twice in the same set
Ties will be judged on who has the most stock at the end of a match, if stock are the same then the person with the least percentage will win, if both are the same then a sudden death 1 stock match will be played to determine the winner

Advanced Slob Picks: The first stage is chosen from the list of neutral stages at random or by an agreement of the players. In the second match the loser chooses the stage. The loser announces their stage choice (either from the list of random or counterpick stages) to the other player, who is then allowed to change his/her character. After the winner’s character is chosen, the loser may change their character. Then the match is played.

"More rules underneath stages"

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counter Stages:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Hanenbow
Skyworld
Onett
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
Corneria

All stages not mentioned are BANNED.

***Capcom vs SNK 2***
Roll Cancelling is allowed.
No EX Grooves allowed.
You may not use the same character twice on one team.
Ultimate Rugal, Super Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Evil Iori are not allowed in tournament play.
Switching the order of your characters during the loading screen is only allowed on your first match.
After winning, you must pick the same characters, same order.

***Marvel vs Capcom 2***
You may not use any glitch that prevents the game from being played. This includes game freezing, game resetting, player freezing, etc.
Deadbody infinites are allowed to gain a positional advantage, but not to delay the game.
Button switching during the loading screen is allowed (e.g. Holding ASSIST 1 to switch your first assist with the point).
You may not use the same character twice on one team.
Winner keeps the same team, while the loser can switch teams.

***Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike***
Winning player must keep the same character, but can change super art's. The losing player can choose a new character.
Gill is banned in tournament play.
JUDGEMENT will NOT be used to determine the outcome of a match if it should so come up. That match will be played over again until a true
winner is determined.

***Super Street Fighter II Turbo***
Winner keeps the same character. The loser can choose a new character.
Akuma is not allowed in tournament play.

***Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection***
If the players do not agree on a stage within 15 seconds the match judge will enforce blind random stage select.
Jinpachi is banned from tournament play.

***Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core***
#Reloaded characters, Kliff and Justice are not allowed in tournament play.
Use of EX, Gold and Shadow characters are not allowed in tournament play.
Winner keeps the same character and the losers can change characters.

Tournament Rules:
All tournaments (excpet Brawl and CVS2) will be a set of 2of3. Winners/Losers finals will be 3of5, and grand finals will be 4of7 (loser bracket winner must win 2 sets).

Capcom vs SNK2 will be a set of 2of3 all matches including winners/loser finals. Grand finals will be 3of5 (loser bracket winner must win 2 sets)(if time becomes an issue the loser bracket will be best of 1)

Super Smash Bros: Brawl will be a set of 2of3 all matches inluding Winners/Loser finals, the Grand Finals will be best 3of5 (loser bracket winner must win 2 sets)

If ANY singles tournament does not get at least 7 players that game will be canceled and players registered will get there money refunded for that tournament.

If a tournament ends up getting canceled the players may play a their own thing on the side. This will no longer be official but a side tournament. And they will be in charge of running it themselves.

All games will be played out in full no ties or splits in money.

Side Tournaments:
***Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Low Tier Tournament***
Standard MVC2 tournament rules apply.
This tournament will follow a 4 point ration system. Meaning your characters total combine points cannot exceed 4.
3 point teams are allowed
There must be 3 different characters to a team, no same characters.

Banned Characters:
Cable
Sentinel
Magneto
Storm
Spiral
Ironman
Warmachine

Ratio 2 Characters (combinable with Ratio 1 only):
Cyclops
Psylocke
Captain Commando
Cammy
Blackheart
Dr. Doom
Strider
Megaman
Morrigan
Iceman
Omega Red
Rogue
T.Bonne
Juggernaut

Ratio 1 Characters:
All other characters

***Super Smash Bros: Brawl DOUBLES***
Rules to be announced

''''''DUE TO TIME LIMITES ON THE VENUE (gotta be out at 11-11:30 will talk to owner if we need more time) I WILL BE VERY STRICT ON MATCHES. YOU HAVE 2 MINUTES TO GET TO YOUR STATION WHEN YOU ARE CALLED OR YOUR MATCH WILL BE FORFEITED. NO REFUNDS FOR THIS EITHER ITS YOUR FAULT. I will try and go around missing players but if your not there and your match is holding things up DQed it is. Please let me or whoever is helping me run tournaments know if you will be missing (bathroom, other matches your playing in, going to be outside, etc.)''''''

Crossposts
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=243162#post243162
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=153037
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=107359

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post. I will update this thread with any updates or new that come along.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Discussion of double is still up in the air right. I will keep this place posted on new information regarding this.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
This Tournament Is Bra Wl Not Me Lee.

Keywords Are Being Changed By The Forums. I Think They May Have Been Hacked. This Will Be Fixed Shortly. Click Any Of The Links To Another Forums To Read The Rules.

-DJ-

EDIT: SMASHBOARDS HAS PULLED AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE AND SWITCHED KEYWORDS. AS A TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER THIS IS MESSED UP THEY COULD OF LEFT THESE THREADS ALONE. I GOT PEOPLE CALLING ME AND EMAILING ME ABOUT THIS BEING MELEE OR BRAWL.

AFTER TODAY THESE POSTS WILL GO BACK TO NORMAL SORRY FOR ANY INCONVINEINCE BUT AGAIN THIS I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH.

Broly

Smash Lord
hmm, rules are good. i just like to comment on the stages. random is good like that. counters shouldn't have hanenbrow, pokemon stadium 2, onett, skyworld and norfair. most of these either interfer to much w/ the fight or give some characters no chance to win. ex- skyworlds platforms can be broken which stops olimar's and zero-suits ability to come back as they use tether recoveries. and you could had mario circuit, but its your rules.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wonder if I can make it down for this. Sounds like a blast. We'll see.

hmm, rules are good. i just like to comment on the stages. random is good like that. counters shouldn't have hanenbrow, pokemon stadium 2, onett, skyworld and norfair. most of these either interfer to much w/ the fight or give some characters no chance to win. ex- skyworlds platforms can be broken which stops olimar's and zero-suits ability to come back as they use tether recoveries. and you could had mario circuit, but its your rules.
"interfer too much w/ the fight"? Perhaps you should learn how to play better before you make statements like that. If someone goes out of their way to counter pick one of those stages, then they probably know how to fight on it.

And for your other reason, that's too bad for Olimar. It's a counter pick STAGE for a reason. It still gives the Olimar player a chance to switch characters before fighting on that stage.

It look like you don't know why levels are banned in tournaments.

I would suggest adding some other stages to the list, but what we have now is good enough.

Broly

Smash Lord
I wonder if I can make it down for this. Sounds like a blast. We'll see.

"interfer too much w/ the fight"? Perhaps you should learn how to play better before you make statements like that. If someone goes out of their way to counter pick one of those stages, then they probably know how to fight on it.

And for your other reason, that's too bad for Olimar. It's a counter pick STAGE for a reason. It still gives the Olimar player a chance to switch characters before fighting on that stage.

It look like you don't know why levels are banned in tournaments.

I would suggest adding some other stages to the list, but what we have now is good enough.
ok.....? MM me then.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
The game schedule has officially been announced. I know this will help alot of people who are coming from out of the area so they more or less know when to make there trip. Any more questions feel free to ask.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Update:
----> PS3 converter problem solved
----> MVC2 has been bumped up to 6:30.
----> FOOD WILL BE SOLD. Cybercomics will be selling Hot Dogs, Chips, Candy Bars, Honey Buns, and drinks.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
Hey I'm a fairly new player from Austin. How's the competition for Brawl down there?
i didnt no there was a thread here

we have all been preoccupied with school(main hoster and i go to school at TAMUK) so we havent had a tourny since a few weeks before brawl came out. i no we(the valley crew) havent had a brawl tourny yet so this might be the first legit one. but out melee competition was excellent and most of those people are back for brawl, should be awesome.

Top Bottom