• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help beat my friends in brawl

dubesinhower

Smash Cadet
i know this may sound really arrogant and egotistical, but im having a real mental block with this problem. i can beat my friends in melee, so take from that what you will. but when it comes to brawl, i cant seem to beat them.
one of my friends doesnt even own any of the smash games, and still beats me every time in brawl. the other one owns the n64 version, and has played the melee version with me, and he beats me as well.
i always complain/get pissed off/whip controllers when i lose to them. i cant figure out why i cant beat them. ive begun to study move sets and what not with marth, but perhaps thats my problem.
my friends just tell me not to think about playing and just play. i tell them that i want to beat them, so i study how i play.

long story short, id like someone outside my group of friends to tell me what im doing wrong. the only thing my friends tell me is that im not as good as them, and that i complain too much lol.
anyways, if someone would take some time and watch the below video of me playing the friend who owned the n64 version, but not melee, and tell me what i need to improve on, i would be very grateful, and hopefully ill be on my way to finally beating them!

thanks in advance.

oh btw im the marth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cek2EKNec

rhamin

Smash Rookie
From what i can tell you were playing well with him in the beginning but after your friend got a couple big hits on you, you started to dash in without shielding. Also another thing is you nor your friend chased after launching each other.

Mr J

Smash Rookie
From what I see, at no point in that battle, you used C-Down. That is one of my favourite moves, if your opponent dodges around you, then C-Down will nearly always hit.

raydinneed

Smash Apprentice
Learn to fastfall aerials, approaching with only ground attacks like dash-A and defending only with roll+tilt and such makes you predictable

Powershield (or if you cant, spot-dodge) to punish his smashes and laggy attacks

Practise edgeguarding, don't just jump off the edge to hit them, if you can't catch wolf's side-b, hit him after it

Mr J

Smash Rookie
That one of your friends attacks with too much confidence, so you should use that against them with Marth's Down - B move, also, alot of the time when you dashed towards them, you either missed or they dodged, then they hit you back, perhaps you should trick them by Dashing towards them, then stopping, or dashing towards them, then instead of attacking them, you should just dodge around them. Remember to use Down - C!

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
I think what you need to work on most is not something you can read up on, but need to practice, and that's your spacing. You need to make it second nature to know exactly when you can use Marth's forward tilt/up tilt and hit your opponent from your max range with that sword.

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
u should use down b becuase u have never used it and u need to use it it would help alot

and use more smashes

raydinneed

Smash Apprentice
Still needs more aerials, needs more grabs, needs more dodge, needs more edgeguard (and punishing edgegrabs), needs more punishment with failed smashes (saw a lot of opportunities, marth's f-smash is fast to do this), needs more powershielding, needs less random rolls, needs less up-B for attacking (if he's in the air, combo him with your aerials)

orintemple

Smash Lord
fair fair fair fair fair fair fair

yea and then some other stuff. But seriously dash in and SHFair combos are Marth's greatest asset. Also, you play very aggressively, you don't always need to be the one to head in for the attack. you can dash in shied take a shield hit and grab your opponent. Let your shield get hit, thats what its for. Also punish people for missing laggy atacks with a nice tipper Fsmash.

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
and u should go to the marth forum and check der maybe once a day to learn some stuff u could use for ur marth

kiljoy102

Smash Rookie
post ones of me

Post the match we did dube's (ike)

id love to hear some of the feedback :p i enjoy improving my game

still need to work on my rar'd bairs i know but any other info/feedback would be jawsome

!-=Mc$=-!

Smash Cadet
Man you is very predictable, and you use many dairs.....

you should explore the marth mind game!!! use more double fair and Fair to uair....
Stop to use Dair... dair it's lagger than the other aerials!!!

Use more air dodge tooo... =)

kiljoy102

Smash Rookie
those were two of my worst matches too ;/ i think me v wolf was much more exciting to watch but you didnt record those. its so obvious my errors when i look back on them like that. i messed up the timing of his airs and didnt short hop enough...bah

Agent 47

Smash Apprentice
definitely intercept them when they try to recover and use marth's counter at times b/c it can really come in handy.

dubesinhower

Smash Cadet
ill have some footage of me vs my friend joe, he doesnt own any of the games. and a special treat match at the end LOL.

check back later today or tomorrow or later today for the link

Link9n17

Smash Rookie
Work on your arial attacks, you aren't using the mid-air attacks that Marth can use very well.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
i agree...in a way

Very boring match.. half the time you guys were running away or dodging..
the guy does have a point...saying it was "boring" was maybe a bit excessive, but you and your friends do seem to have a more cautious style of gameplay (in the first video both of you were in low damage percentages for a lot of the time limit)...this could just be because youve played each other so much that you know exactly what to expect and at what time and so avoid it before it happens...my advice is by no means golden, but i would say that you should try to play a bit more aggressively...go for the attack and create opportunities instead of waiting for them to happen...your opponents percentage isnt gonna get higher by itself afterall

Top Bottom