• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Otacon!? How do I beat Pit!?!

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Seriously. Pit owns Snake.

I will spill my grief. You all tell me how to beat it. Got it? Good.

1) Fast, curvable, stunning arrows. They interrupt Snake's laggy projectiles(He can't bring out his Nakita in time and can only grab a grenade before he has to sheild). His Nakita is worthless. They blow up grenades. They blow up mines.

2) Forward B. It reflects all projectiles and can be an infinite combo against a wall. Combining arrow spam for long to mid-range and forward b for close range is a tough defense of pain. Snake has no way of hitting Pit during the move except jumping over him. By that time, he is done. Snake F-smash sometimes works, but he is dangerously close to the spinning blades.

3) Awesome air game. Trying to jump over arrows towards Pit is suicide. Snake has trouble hitting opponents above him as he has horrible down attacks. On top of that, Pit is really good at hitting people above him. That adds up to ****.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
1) Fast, curvable, stunning arrows. They interrupt Snake's laggy projectiles(He can't bring out his Nakita in time and can only grab a grenade before he has to sheild). His Nakita is worthless. They blow up grenades. They blow up mines.
Go to YouTube, first off, and search for tournament DEHF vs. PsychoMidget. PsychoMidget is a Snake main and DEHF is a Pit main (whom I do not like). They are fighting on that Twilight Princess stage where everything is flat so you'll watch how PsychoMidget deals with it. I'm pretty sure he won.

Now, if your opponent is on flat ground, if you fire off a missile and keep it at arrow height, the arrows can't go through it, they only stun it for a bit.

I dunno much about Snake, but you could perhaps jump and get a grenade then toss it to force him to move and then move in.

2) Forward B. It reflects all projectiles and can be an infinite combo against a wall. Combining arrow spam for long to mid-range and forward b for close range is a tough defense of pain. Snake has no way of hitting Pit during the move except jumping over him. By that time, he is done. Snake F-smash sometimes works, but he is dangerously close to the spinning blades.
*sigh* If he's using it smart, there's not much you can do but stay calm and conservative to beat him with mindgames. Roll at the right moment and whatnot. Plant mines so if he moves over it, it'll explode and stuff.

If you jump over him, trust me, any Pit player who hasn't already started to stop pushing the B button will get punished. You could probably stand just out of range and fire off an up-smash and hit him with the explosion then move in.

Use grenades intelligently. They can solve the problem of a camping enemy.

3) Awesome air game. Trying to jump over arrows towards Pit is suicide. Snake has trouble hitting opponents above him as he has horrible down attacks. On top of that, Pit is really good at hitting people above him. That adds up to ****.
In the YouTube vid I mentioned, there seems to be some multiple aerial kick attack that Snake has that attacks in front of him that simply ***** DEHF. Maybe try SHAD'ing (short-hop air-dodge) past his defenses then punishing him from behind.

You're a frickin walking piece of artillery. Jebus.

don't let your brain lock. use what you've got. <-that's a link now

Corigames

Smash Hero
Get below him. There's not much he can do to people from above, so I suggest snakes up smash. But I'm in a similar situation as the above poster as I don't know much about snake. But, I'm pretty sure if you get him above you, you'll be a lot better off.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Go to YouTube, first off, and search for tournament DEHF vs. PsychoMidget. PsychoMidget is a Snake main and DEHF is a Pit main (whom I do not like). They are fighting on that Twilight Princess stage where everything is flat so you'll watch how PsychoMidget deals with it. I'm pretty sure he won.

Now, if your opponent is on flat ground, if you fire off a missile and keep it at arrow height, the arrows can't go through it, they only stun it for a bit.

I dunno much about Snake, but you could perhaps jump and get a grenade then toss it to force him to move and then move in.
Yeah, I've seen the matches and, trust me, he makes it look easy.

Yes, nakita does block arrows, BUT Snake needs time to pull it out and get the missle in the air. Using it before arrow spam, it is priceless. Using it during arrow spam, it is worthless. If Snake tries, the arrow hits him and gets stunned. Pit's arrows are just too fast for Snake to get it in the air.

Grenading is awkward. Before arrow spam, throwing a grenade is easy. During, it is frustrating. I'll give a play by play.

1) Arrow hit
2) Pull out a grenade. Drop it.
3) Shield incoming arrow.
4) Pick up grenade.
5) Arrow hit
6) Jump and throw.
7) Arrow hit
8) Pit blows up.

But I'll try it some more and see how it goes.

*sigh* If he's using it smart, there's not much you can do but stay calm and conservative to beat him with mindgames. Roll at the right moment and whatnot. Plant mines so if he moves over it, it'll explode and stuff.

If you jump over him, trust me, any Pit player who hasn't already started to stop pushing the B button will get punished. You could probably stand just out of range and fire off an up-smash and hit him with the explosion then move in.

Use grenades intelligently. They can solve the problem of a camping enemy.
Laying a mine takes time. Too much time to do it before the forward b comes. The only way is to lay a mine when Snake is safe. In that case, Pit will blow it up with an arrow. What MIGHT work is dropping a grenade and rolling away. That would have to be predicted, but a good counter. There is no way to do it before the forward b occurs, but if the Snake player anticipated it because Pit has done it 3+ times, then it would be good.

I'll try the up-smash and see if it reaches. Actually, nevermind. Look at your video down below at 2:45. Pit does a forward b as the mortar drops, but he takes no damage, no knockback, and no stun at all. Ugh.

Grenades are reflected if I remember right. The only way to hit him with a grenade is to bounce it off a wall behind him (VERY situational) or to cook the grenade's fuse to explode on contact (VERY tough).

In the YouTube vid I mentioned, there seems to be some multiple aerial kick attack that Snake has that attacks in front of him that simply ***** DEHF. Maybe try SHAD'ing (short-hop air-dodge) past his defenses then punishing him from behind.

You're a frickin walking piece of artillery. Jebus.

don't let your brain lock. use what you've got. <-that's a link now
Nair is good for hitting opponents in front of Snake, but not under Snake. The only attack for that is his Dair, which is lacking. Both Nair and Dair are multihit combos that only have knockback on the last hit. If Snake doesn't hit the last hit, he is vunerable. Also, if he doesn't finish the attack before he lands, he will have lag and ready to be punished.

SHAD'ing (New term. Nice) might work for arrows, but not for forward b. The only way to escape forward b is to DI away. After that, Snake just doesn't have options to punish Pit for his laggy, forward b.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Get below him. There's not much he can do to people from above, so I suggest snakes up smash. But I'm in a similar situation as the above poster as I don't know much about snake. But, I'm pretty sure if you get him above you, you'll be a lot better off.
Yeah, the same goes for any character against Snake. Snake is at his best when he is on the ground. The problem is the arrows. They force Snake out of his comfort zone. He has to get up close and personal, especially on long, flat stages.

When he is up close, Snake has a limited moveset: Nair, Dair, Neutral A combo, and tilts. Using those moves over and over, there is greater diminishing returns which makes it harder for Snake to get the KO than usual.

Anyway, it adds up to frustration, especially if the Pit knows how cheesy he can be.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
The way you complain about Pit beating your projectiles, tells me that you're trying to out camp him. Like you're saying, that doesn't work. You shouldn't pull out your explosives except when Pit is recovery from knockback.

Use the Nakita for edgeguarding. Don't pull it out while he's on the ground. His arrows will win.

Throw grenades after knocking him back. If you use weak tosses, Pit won't be able to reflect them far enough away.

Use crawling to get closer. By that I don't mean crawl from point A all the way to Pit. Just crawl while he's firing an arrow, and walk normally in between.

EDIT: And Pit's side-B isn't an infinite against a wall. You can smash DI up to get out of it with minimal damage to yourself.

EDIT2: If you're really having trouble with the side-B, Snake's F-smash is LONGER then it.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
The way you complain about Pit beating your projectiles, tells me that you're trying to out camp him. Like you're saying, that doesn't work. You shouldn't pull out your explosives except when Pit is recovery from knockback.

Use the Nakita for edgeguarding. Don't pull it out while he's on the ground. His arrows will win.

Throw grenades after knocking him back. If you use weak tosses, Pit won't be able to reflect them far enough away.

Use crawling to get closer. By that I don't mean crawl from point A all the way to Pit. Just crawl while he's firing an arrow, and walk normally in between.

EDIT: And Pit's side-B isn't an infinite against a wall. You can smash DI up to get out of it with minimal damage to yourself.

EDIT2: If you're really having trouble with the side-B, Snake's F-smash is LONGER then it.
Crawling is great. Too bad Pit can bend his arrows down to hit crawling enemies. The best way to approach Pit, that I have found, is to mix it up. Jump over one, shield one, crawl under one, etc. until you get close. That is usually when the Pit's forward b comes.

It isn't infinite? Remember, Snake is heavy so it might only be really hard for heavy characters to get out of it. Anyway, I'll test it out when I get the chance.

Yeah, I did that when my friend first started playing as Pit, but it's too predictable and too slow. Nowadays, he has learned. He will block or dodge my horribly slow F-smash.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
I think I may have found something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdaiVJV1BvQ

At 1:36, Snake f-tilts Pit out of his side-b and follows up with his two-fist smack. Thank Palutena. Finally, a crack in the armor.

I just hope this works reliably. If so, I will complain no longer.

...well, maybe just less. It still reflects. I mean, who attacks a grenade with a sword? It should blow up!

Corigames

Smash Hero
You know, any attack outside of a projectile will end the side-B attack. It's not ALL POWERFUL :/

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Also, your Bair.

Practise cooking grenades. There was one other thing I was gonna mention but I left the computer on this message and I don't remember.

You know, any attack outside of a projectile will end the side-B attack. It's not ALL POWERFUL :/
QFT.

ilnadmy

Smash Rookie
I think he means he doesn't like the way you play your Pit. Could be mistaken though.

Punz

Smash Rookie
You can simply learn to play with one of Pit's bad match up characters and own him, simple.

Top Bottom