• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grenade Stripping. Snake is NEO?!? (plus grenade ideas UPDATED!)

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I don't know if anybody has come across this yet, I haven't heard of it, but i haven't been reading a lot on the snake character discussion forums.
So flame me and yell at me, there's my disclaimer.

i've been coming back and adding things here and there throughout this, I didn't make a formal edit section.

I (TheChene) was playing with WarriorJ. I was snake, he was ganondorf.

I threw a grenade at him.
He picked up the grenade.
I pulled out another grenade.
He threw the first grenade that he picked up.
I shielded.

So his grenade stops midair and falls to the ground

So then we tested it out a bit more. The grenade can also be removed from the enemy's possession even if it isn't thrown. Even if your opponent was in the air, you can disarm him with using your shield on the ground. (NEO!?!?!?! lol) AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PULLED OUT THE SECOND GRENADE THAT IS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SovWG5ElJJw

there is the video link.
poor quality. I'm going to try and post a nicer quality video tomorrow. Don't believe me, just try the trick out for yourself.

As far as applications go, that's a decent defense against enemies throwing your grenades back. I can even see you canceling horizontal motion with it and landing it on somebody else in a brawl. I can see other applications, such as people expecting to throw the grenade and just doing a neutral A attack, while it just explodes behind them. In general, it is good for defending against the rebound grenades from your enemies. It will even stop reflected grenades. A cool idea is to stop the grenade right infront of the enemy reflector. So they go through the move and then it just blows up infront of them.

(more applications and tricks) this is not necessarily related but it are some interesting grenade tips none the less.

by dropping a grenade using your shield you can pick it back up. we all know this.
but once it's in your hand you have the freedom of shooting a nikita or throwing a grenade, also dodging, full jumping, upB, and changing direction among other things.

if you have picked up a grenade, you can simply pull out another and lob it. this will make you drop the original grenade, thus letting it cook for longer. Then once you pick it up again, you can throw it (it does travel fast compared to his normal lob throws) it's explosion time will be more to your liking considering it's speed. If you wait a small moment before picking up and throwing the dropped grenade, both explosions will be nearly at once. Does about 30% damage. With the sounds and the motions it's also somewhat of a fake out. But basically it gives you the versatility of throwing the grenade in many different trajectories as long as you are holding the first grenade after dropping it. You can now choose between throwing it fast forward, up and down or reverse. Also, lobbing it close, medium and far. At that one moment you have more potential choices. It may allow you to swith up the order of which you lob grenades at your enemy to keep them guessing they won't know what to expect exactly. If you have a lot of space and throw a lot of grenades that is. I've been able to combo them at close, medium and far so far.

I find it to be usefull when you drop a grenade, pick it up. Double jump, Press B and then press backwards so you do a short lob. You will drop one grenade below you and the second will get some air time vertically in line with it. Vertical grenade shield.

Also, after throwing the first grenade and canceling to fall in front of you, creating somewhat of a guard, pick up your second grenade and press B. You will drop it again and do a fake grenade throwing motion. This can fake your opponents out. You can do it twice before you should throw the grenade. It will most likely blow up in the air unless they are in range. (about half of final destination)

it may not be much but it's kind of neat.
A minor but some what significant thing to note.

Also, using the grenade stipping technique, you are able to throw a far grenade and then cancel it's horizontal momentum by dropping the second grenade. Then just pick it up and hurl it at them. From across final destination you can stop it from falling of the edge and keep it in play. Plus both grenades time nicely. Also if you do this same trick but jump when you lob the first grenade you can drop it infront of your oppenent. Could be a surprise considering it's not consistant momentum.

HEY don't forget, I use link extensively so one trick that has carried over, and i'm sure it has gotten some mention, is dropping the grenade midair and then catching it while doing an attack. Allowing you to throw it after the attack, rather than being obligated to throw it before hand. Just making sure people realize/don't forget that. Also don't forget he can jump cancel throw grenades. So you can dash away grenade.

Just figured this out:
Characters like Wario, King Dedede and Kirby who can normally eat your grenades with their neutrual B moves are now punishable using grenade stripping or as somebody up here joked: "neonades"

so basically if you pull out a second grenade and shield drop it while they are sucking it in, after they go through the eating animation and you think it's all over the grenade will explode. You can stip it out of their stomach. It will fall to the ground. Try it out, it's pretty cool.

If you shield drop your first grenade and then throw it like a regular thrown item, you are still able to stop it's momentum and begin the fall animation. So you may throw the grenade up and make it fall back down the momentum change is really startling, or throw it further right at a higher speed and cause it to drop. Throwing it down at the ground will cause it to bounce so you can grenade strip it so that it falls down again. It's much like throwing it up, but it is lower, and the grenade spends more time near the ground and increases the chance your opponent will attack it and hurt yourself.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
yeah, and you have to be HOLDING the second grenade. You can't throw it and then shield.

Ruckus

Smash Cadet
South San Francisco, California, United States, No
snake is the man.

SNake: Otacon ... i think something is going on here.....
Otacon: WUt is it Snake? Did you eat that spoiled food ration?
Snake: No i seem to be able to feel the presence of my grenade... and im somehow able to control it
with my mind.....
Otacon:.....Snake i wasn't suposed to tell you this but... This is the matrix. (duh duh dunnnnnnnnn)

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I was very irritated at my bros grenade spamming, easily countered, yes, but when I was trying to throw them back at him, the grenades would keep dropping out of my hands, then blowing up on me anyway. That was the part that irritated me, Snake has the property to make people shudder when he has a grenade, making them drop their own.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
Wow. Haha this just makes Snake even more ridiculous to play with. I'm glad he is my main. This fool is broken beyond belief.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Snake has way too many tricks up his sleeve. All around powerful, heavy, things that go boom, he can even control his grenades now.

Oh, and does the opponent have to catch the grenades in the air for this to work? Or is it possible for it to work when he catches it on the ground? OP isn't exceptionally clear on this.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Yeah, Snake has way too many tricks up his sleeve. All around powerful, heavy, things that go boom, he can even control his grenades now.

Oh, and does the opponent have to catch the grenades in the air for this to work? Or is it possible for it to work when he catches it on the ground? OP isn't exceptionally clear on this.
The enemy DOESN'T have to catch it in the air. It was just easier for my friend in the vid.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Sweet.. gotta try this next time I play Brawl. It means I won't have to cook grenades vs. other smart players (who try to catch my grenades) anymore.

dren

Smash Rookie
I didn't know that shielding would make someone else drop the grenade but I did notice that if you throw one grenade normally, pull out another and shield to drop it, the first grenade will stop in midair.

Sounds like a neat trick.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Guys we need to give this discovery (and it's discoverers) more credit and kudos.

This basically ensures that you should virtually never get nades thrown back in your face if you're careful...Snake is seriously too good.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Guys we need to give this discovery (and it's discoverers) more credit and kudos.

This basically ensures that you should virtually never get nades thrown back in your face if you're careful...Snake is seriously too good.
Toooo true, I have always wondered why and how my grenades randomly stopped traveling.

Knowing how to do this is very useful I have done some pretty funny things with this.

Example: Ike picks up grenade, I force him to drop it, he forward smashes instead of throwing it at me, easy punish.

toodaloo

Smash Rookie
I didn't know that shielding would make someone else drop the grenade but I did notice that if you throw one grenade normally, pull out another and shield to drop it, the first grenade will stop in midair.

Sounds like a neat trick.
that is the trick, you throw one, they pick up, pull out another, and if they throw it, shield, and the first one stops.

but if you already noticed that, that's awesome. should've made a post on it or something

dren

Smash Rookie
that is the trick, you throw one, they pick up, pull out another, and if they throw it, shield, and the first one stops.

but if you already noticed that, that's awesome. should've made a post on it or something
lol I thought making a grenade stop it's horizontal motion and drop when it was already just about to hit the ground anyway was worthless. Knowing that it strips the grenade is the real trick.

I can't wait to pull this on someone in a match.

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh so that's why my grenades always stopped midair before my friend threw them back at me... lol nice one. Now I can effectively use this against my friend... he loves throwing my nades back at me.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
This trick is amazing! I showed it to my brother (without telling him it was a trick) and he was baffled when he would throw back my grenades only to find them dropping to the floor and exploding on him.

Also, you can roll to get the same effect because rolling starts with shielding.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
This trick is more useful than I initially thought it was. I thought it was only for forcing your opponent to drop the grenade... If you've done the trick already, you should notice that this will make the first grenade drop straight down no matter where it is. This means that you can throw a grenade, then make it drop down a ledge. Boom~ You can also jump up, throw a grenade, fast fall, then make the grenade drop onto the stage. The possibilities are endless. You can make a grenade drop down no matter how fast it's flying or what direction it's flying in. If an opponent throws it straight up, you can drop it right back down.

If you couple this with normal grenade usage and other grenade tricks (holding a grenade, standing beside an opponent, then shielding or dodging...), grenades become amazingly versatile. I hope we can figure out more uses for them!

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
Wow, Snake has psychic powers! He gets more amazing all the time. The possibilities with this are endless. Amazing find dude!
Snake and his neonades...

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
Quite possibly the most important Snake discovery since the dash attack -> Usmash. Why are there so few posts in this thread?

****, what an incredible find. The only thing I regret is that I didn't find this thread sooner. Now I only have one day left to practice before the next Brawl tournament in my area.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
This trick is amazing! I showed it to my brother (without telling him it was a trick) and he was baffled when he would throw back my grenades only to find them dropping to the floor and exploding on him.

Also, you can roll to get the same effect because rolling starts with shielding.
yeah, it's going to take some practice, but once those possibilities become second nature, the grenade will serve a very good all around purpose.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
i won with snake in a local tournament today. While fighting characters with little to no ranged attack i experienced no penalty from grenade throwing. It became a difficult shield to get around. they get discouraged from throwing them back so they just become part of your controlled obstacle course. it's very reliable.

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
i definitely need to get proficient with this technique. now if only snake could bend backwards with his arms flailing in slow motion..

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
You can also use this to stop grenades in the air that you throw yourself. It's useful when you chuck a grenade (and it normally goes flying off the edge). But instead you stop the grenade by taking out a second one and shielding. The first falls perfectly onto the edge of the level instead of flying off normally.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
You can also use this to stop grenades in the air that you throw yourself. It's useful when you chuck a grenade (and it normally goes flying off the edge). But instead you stop the grenade by taking out a second one and shielding. The first falls perfectly onto the edge of the level instead of flying off normally.
yeah that's what i was just editing my original post to say.

also if you do a short lob off the edge of the stage, you can stop it's falling momentum and have it begin falling again. Kind of a restart on falling momentum. It can throw off timing and stall for a milisecond. With the medium and far throws you can strip them to align with enemies who are recovering from being knocked off. If you get the angle right, people will feel pressured to not pass the grenade and stop DIing toward the stage. The grenade pops them up though and can help them get back, unless they have a lot of damage already. At this point you could use the nikita anyways. But then again you do still have that second grenade to throw, and more mobility to chase and combo off of the explosion. Or follow with nikita.

Nokes

Smash Rookie
This could be used as an edge guard if u threw grenades over the edge and stopped them right over ur opponent because it also cancels vertical movement(although the nikita would be probably be better, it might catch your opponent off guard).

Top Bottom