• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new wavedash?

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Interesting.. It seems to involve the up smash attack. So I wonder if it's related to cromdashing with Snake.

omG_A_coW

Smash Apprentice
I think thats just Dash into Upsmash right? It only seems to work with UpSmash and isn't too maneuverable.
You can surprise people with it though.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
thats just ********... thats pretty much hyphen smashing

dash and quickly tilt c stick up...
hyphen smash is dash.... keep dashing until desired point... c stick up

that one just has the slippy effect because of the dash start momentum not being cancelled by the up smash...

Ged016

Smash Rookie
Whoa it's amazing with Link lol. No it's no Hyphen smashing. This is cancelling your Dash ATTACK into an upsmash with crazy momentum. The video tells you how to do it. I can only do it with Tap Jump ON. You have to dash (or be dashing) Tilt or smash C stick down then VERY FAST (before the animation starts) press Up and Z.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
thats just ********... thats pretty much hyphen smashing

dash and quickly tilt c stick up...
hyphen smash is dash.... keep dashing until desired point... c stick up

that one just has the slippy effect because of the dash start momentum not being cancelled by the up smash...
its pretty much hyphen smashing, but i think theres a way to get more distance like int he video, not just the momentum of the dash

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Guys. The way to get the long slide is that you have to follow the instructions in one of the Japanese slides.

I know that one of them is that you need to do a down smash on the C-Stick immediately after dashing, then QUICKLY press Up + Z in order to cancel the dash attack and do a sliding Up-Smash instead.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
if there was a way to cancel the ^smash then it can be a wavedash
Don't pay attention to the awful topic name. I was actually quite ticked when this topic was called "the next wavedash" because I knew people replying would just try and refute it being the next wavedashing.

Ged016

Smash Rookie
if there was a way to cancel the ^smash then it can be a wavedash
Let's hope it can't cause a lot of the cast can't slide or have a mediocre slide. And it's ridicolously(sry for bad spelling) long for some characters to look cool like wavedash did, imagine wavedashes in melee as long as Samus SW lol. :laugh:

red stone

Smash Ace
dude, this is a super wavedash guys. okay, i can do it consistently now. what you have to do is dash and dash attack immediately by pressing down on the c-stick and then immediately press up and z for the up smash. timing is tricky but not as bad as samus's swd

Ged016

Smash Rookie
Yeah, nothing ocurred(unless it's a different timing or I'm doing something wrong) U-smash is the only thing that cancels the dash attack. But if anyone has time, try it with other attacks just to make sure.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
doesnt work with game and watch :( so far it looks like it totally stops his momentum but with snake its ridiculous. im having a hard time getting it consistently but i think this can be used in play.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
If anybody has time could you please upload a video of this with lucas' usmash
This does not work with every character. It certainly does NOT work with Lucas. I am pretty sure the video shows at least most of the characters that can do this.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Whoa it's amazing with Link lol. No it's no Hyphen smashing. This is cancelling your Dash ATTACK into an upsmash with crazy momentum. The video tells you how to do it. I can only do it with Tap Jump ON. You have to dash (or be dashing) Tilt or smash C stick down then VERY FAST (before the animation starts) press Up and Z.
Has anyone tried this without Tap Jump on? I'd really like to be able to do this, but I can't stand the tap jump. Screws up my up-tilts and u-airs.

Skybent

Smash Cadet
i found this out with captain falcon the first time i played brawl.

it works especially good with his upsmash because it carries the charecter with him thru the dash.

it still isnt enough to get past his nerfs though :/

Kel

Smash Master
The video is calling it "Air Kyan" or something like that. My Japanese isn't that great so I could be wrong (at least about the kanji).
It says you need tap jump on to do it by hitting C stick down then up +Z.
You can do it with tap jump off by hitting up first too.

yoonie

Smash Cadet
im a snake player so i use this all the time but for some reason i couldn't get it to work w/ anyone else (peach, samus) so I just assumed it was just for snake. is it confirmed that this works for everyone?

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
It's just Snakedashing, only with other characters. Basically, you cancel the dash attack into an upsmash.

Snake's is by far the most effective and useful. A lot of other people can do it, it's just harder, and less useful. And yeah, you can do it without the tap jump on. In fact, it's a lot easier that way. If you can't do it, your timing's off. You have to do an upsmash during the beginning frames of your dash attack.

Oh, and you can only perform an upsmash while sliding. So, unless you're Snake, you're not going to be using this technique much.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It's pretty easy to do, but definitely doesn't work with every character. I can't hit it with ZSS, but I don't see her getting much use out of it anyway.

Not really getting much with Ike either, not anymore than a dash > upsmash. So my mains are screwed, hopefully it's good for some people. Will do wonders for approaches with some characters.

Edit: Got it to work with ZSS but the timing is a freaking nightmare. I can do it consistantly with Snake, but only like 1 in 10 tries or so with ZSS. On top of that, she gets almost no horizontal movement either. Honestly, like Ike, a dash > upsmash gets the same results, if not better results.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
The video shows all of the other characters that can use it, and I am sure it is limited to those characters.

same as previously posted, but his slide isn't as drastic.
I've been trying this with Lucas. Yes, you can cancel the dash attack, but he stops completely. Can you explain how you are getting a slide?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Lemme get this straight. Dash+down cstick+up+z within half a second? If so, I'm doing that and getting nothing. Guess my timing is just off.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
The video shows all of the other characters that can use it, and I am sure it is limited to those characters.

I've been trying this with Lucas. Yes, you can cancel the dash attack, but he stops completely. Can you explain how you are getting a slide?
He probably does it about as well as Zamus and Ike. Uploading ZSS video as we speak.

Edit: Ok, here is Zero Suit Samus doing it. Like I said, the timing is a lot harder than characters like Snake, and it's far less effective.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahd-teqQbUc

Top Bottom