• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack Cancel to Up Smash

IKILL

Smash Rookie
I've used the search function I couldn't locate any thread/post that explained this. Can someone help me out and direct me in the right direction.

As shown in the two videos below characters Shiek & Snake cancel out their dash attacks midway and use an up smash. Doing this allows their character to slide across the stage with the attack covering much ground.

The whole video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjgXBtaGKFw

@ 00:45 - 1:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UHdotA2J8

If someone could link me to a detailed explanation I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

-kill

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Some characters, like Falco and Snake, can interrupt a dash attack with an upsmash, if the dash attack hits. You do this just by upsmashing at the right time, the easy way is to c-stick forward while running to your target (dash attacks), then spam up-C. The original thread:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142918

Edit: I made an assumption from your post without watching the videos. No, that's not what I linked to, it looks like a faster version of upsmashing out of your run, that starts with a dash attack. Interesting.

IKILL

Smash Rookie
Is it the same as the DLX Hit-Cancel? In the videos the dash attack is not hitting though so would this just be an IASA frame in the dash attack?

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Looks like the "wavedashing up-a" you can do with squirtle, but alot better.

DoritoXI

Smash Cadet
Some guy I was facing earlier was doing that to me, he would dash attack and then slide and use up smash with snake. He never really hit me with it though cause he was to far away but I guess it could still have some good uses.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
This reminds me of grabbing out of the starting animation of a dash attack in melee... could the input be similar?

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
so how exactly do you do this... i really want to try it out on my link! who sucks horribly...

Zek

Smash Ace
Please tell me you guys don't actually plan on calling it the "DLX hit cancel"...

It's easy to do when you hit somebody, but I don't know about without. I'm guessing you just have to do it extremely fast, leading a dash attack directly into an upsmash with zero delay.

jonfled

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to do the dash attack to usmash without hitting someone and it seems impossible. Removed from the English version maybe?

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, what I did was changed my Z button to do attacks... so i can hit foward and then z and have my thumb ready for up smash... and i did the snake one a few times... but no one else...

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Who else did you try with?
I'm also trying to think of ways to apply it in a normal match...
I think Falco's would be best since his only works after the dash attack hits...

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I was able to do it with everyone in that video (Wolf, falco, snake, link). Well, everyone except Shiek. Doing it on Shiek is extremely difficult. Link is the easiest out of the bunch. Besides that video (i think we're all talking about the same video, cant look at it at work to make sure), I went through the other characters in the game and Sonic and Jigglypuff can also do it

Mka

Smash Rookie
Hope this helps people**

Do not practice this in 1/4 speed(or any speed besides normal), the time for the button presses are different and sometimes won't even activate unless you tap it multiple times.

welp it took hours and hours of practice but I can finally pull it off at least 3/5 of the time with Shiek. I have even gambled and used it in competitive play with my other smashers and managed to get KOs when otherwise I could not.(based on distance not skill) Plus its extremely satisfying pulling it off and if your opponent doesn't know about it, it's quite a surprise.

I don't use the A button for this tech anymore had to change my controls so that the Z button is now an attack. I use R and X for grabs now.

On another note. With the Wii remote and Nunchuk style you can consistently do this technique, provided you have Shake smash on. I was able to do this sliding technique using Link and I didn't have to use the A or Z button. I just shook down very slightly and then up right after. The timing is tough so if you don't get it at first try try again. I Just wanted to let everyone know that it must be possible to do this without involving the other stick or the A/Z button.

With more research I have found that it is either impossible or extremely difficult to do this with only the C stick. At least for Shiek its impossible. The amount of time between hitting the buttons for this technique are almost the same but in actuality its about .1 to .5 secs.(Some really small number) between hitting the c stick down and using Up control stick and Z. So with just the C stick there is to much time in between changing from down to up. I believe it works for the Wiimote nunchuk because the neutral position is non existent.

Also if you have the Tap jump off, just change your Z button to an attack in the control settings. It will function the way it would if you had tap jump on.(obviously) I have done this and it doesn't affect me because I use R and A for grabbing.

Top Bottom