• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Throw Guide

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Grabs are altogether very much less useful than in previous games, but they're still here, and we should know more or less what we can do with them, no matter how limited the options. So this is a little bit of info about Diddy's Throws. If you have something to add, feel free.

Firstly, you should always Shield-Cancel your dash grabs. Never use his regular dash grab. It's laggy and leaves you open if you miss. Shield Canceled grabs come out quicker and end quicker. To shield cancel, simply dash and use shield, then, attack to grab. Note: you must hold shield THEN attack. If you press shield AND attack simultaneously, you will do a regular dash grab. If you did it correctly, you should do your standing grab animation, and not your dash grab animation. You'll also see your shield for a split second.

EDIT: I would like to recant this. After more playing Brawl we have found that Dash grabbing has way more range than shield-grabbing, but it still is laggier, especially if you miss. Use the method that you find to be the best. As of now, I have preferred actually dash grabbing.

You can also Pivot Grab. To do this, Begin dashing, and IMMEDIATELY turn around and grab. This is a great spacing technique, and the programmers of the game decided that this technique will give you more grab range, so can't complain about that.
You can also do a sliding turn-around grab. To do this, dash, and anytime during the dash, turn around and grab. This differs from the pivot grab in that, it's done anytime later in the animation and causes you to slide backwards while grabbing. Not really THAT useful, but i'm sure you can find some use for it.

Grab Range
Diddy's grab range is modest. He can grab a little less than one body length in front him. Pretty much as far as it visually looks like he should grab when you look at his grab animation.

Upthrow: 4-9%
Diddy kicks the opponent straight upward.
Notes: This throw ends very soon after the opponent is launched, so at low damage you can do a quick jump to either up-air or neutral air afterward.

Forward Throw: 8%-11%
Diddy tosses the opponent horizontally through the air.
Notes: This is Diddy's most powerful throw, both in damage and knockback. If you're near the edge, this throw can kill at high damages exceeding 160%. Its the only throw you can realistically kill people with. Other than that, I recomment using this throw the most at mid-to high percentages simply because it takes the most damage.

Down Throw: 6%-8%
Diddy jumps, throwing the opponent backwards under his legs, causing the opponent to bounce backwards.
Notes: Kind of a useless throw. Usually down-throws send the opponent vertically, but this one sends them backwards. If you want to send the opponent backwards, use back-throw, as it takes more damage and has more knocback. It's pretty impossible to follow up after this throw, because the hitstun from it is the shortests of all the throws. The opponent can recovery very soon after. But even if they couldn't, it sends them at such a weird angle and distance that you'd have few options.
The only good thing about this throw is that it occurs the fastest out of all of the throws, but in brawl, that really doesn't matter much.
I suppose that since d-throw sends them at a lower angle than the back throw, you may be able to mindgame a hit easier after using the downthrow, but usually they recover before you can do anything. I suggest using other throws.

Back Throw: 5-10%
Diddy spins around, slinging the opponent backwards.
Notes: It's virtually the same as the forward throw except the other way lol. The only difference is it's knockback and damage are less than the forward throw. At most percentages, these throws should be interchangeable, and you'll probably just use the one that puts them off the edge. This won't kill until very high damage like the 190% or 200% range (on most characters. It can kill light characters at 175% and above), and even then you have to be near the edge. One thing I've found useful at low-mid percents, however is backthrow, followed by a side-B towards your opponent. (a quick dash or a short hop before the side-b can help with getting closer) At that point you can either try to mindgame, or do a move based on your opponent's actions. If they're still in the air, you can karate kick them, or even grab them with the side-b if the damage is really low and they DI into it. You can air-dodge to the ground if you suspect an attack, then counter with the move of your choice. Just play it by ear. Note, you can do this after the forward throw as well, but I find it more unpredictable after the backthrow. People just don't except it. Don't spam this technique of course, because then it will get predictable.

Forward B
Diddy has a special throw in which you use Forward B and latch on to the opponent. After you grab them you either press a jump button or an attack button to do one of his two moves out of the forward-b.

General Notes: Note that Diddy starts flashing during this move. It is during the flashing frames that this move will latch on to your opponent. (Note, it is also during these frames that you can do the kick) I don't know the exact frame data, but basically the move will not latch on during the very beginning or the very end of the animation. For example, you can't stand right next your opponent and latch on, because during those first few frames it won't latch on.
As far as I can tell, the regular body-hitbox of Diddy most overlap with that of his opponent in order for this move to latch on. There doesn't seem to be any unique hitbox for this move with any increased or decreased range. It also doesn't seem that your opponent has to be parallel with Diddy for the move to latch on. The opponent can be above or below Diddy, as long as their hitboxes overlap.
It looks like the move starts up a tiny bit faster in the air as compared to on the ground, but I could be wrong about that.

After latching on
Attack: 15%
Diddy chops the opponent with both hands then jumps off.
Notes: This can be performed using A, B, Z or the C-Stick. It takes a lot of damage, but only does moderate knockback. Not a kill move by any means. It's pretty much impossible to follow up after this, so I'd just use this for the damage. Diddy Jumps way out of range for any sort of counter attack, so you don't have to worry about that.

Jump: 10%
Diddy jumps on the opponents head and trampolines upward.
Notes: This move is basically an exaggerated footstool jump. The only time this move is useful is when uses as the Diddy Hump. Basically, latch on to your opponent before he can get back to the edge, and use this move. It will spike them. Its not the strongest spike, but it can still surprise your opponents, and get you kills. Other than that, this move has no knockback, and you can't do anything after it. In most cases you're going to want to use the other option as it takes more damage.
For a little help with the timing for the Diddy Hump. Remember that Diddy doesn't jump perfectly horizontally, he jumps at an arc. So if you are having trouble latching onto an airborne opponent, try to do the move when your opponent is a little bit higher than you are.
Note: after you use either of these throws, you can not use any B-moves until you've hit the ground again. Actually you can use B moves after the footstool. But not after the A-Attack

Just a little info for you.

royinator

Smash Cadet
yeah i never knew about the overlapping hitbox part & it doesn't have to be parallel.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how well it would work on humans because I haven't tried it, but on cpu's the backthrow near a ledge is a great setup for a down air spike. Maybe because Diddy doesn't have to jump as high to get to the cpu because he didn't throw the opponent that far or high off the stage. Not only that but the cpu is not on their third jump; therfore Diddy doesn't get hit from above all because there isn't much distance to get back to the platform for the cpu to use the third jump, just a first or second. I hope this made sense and if so works for Diddy users.

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I've been always using down throw as a habit from melee lol. Didn't realize forward and back were better.

intOx

Smash Cadet
I've just though of this... What if you grab an opponent right next to the edge, let's say your on the left side of your opponent, and you do the down throw... Since it goes a bit diagonal, will it proceed to throw them off the edge?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I've just though of this... What if you grab an opponent right next to the edge, let's say your on the left side of your opponent, and you do the down throw... Since it goes a bit diagonal, will it proceed to throw them off the edge?
i dont THINK so, because your dthrow actually bounces them off of the ground directly below you first, then they fly behind you. Ive never personally tried, but thats what id assume would happen. Ill try it later to make sure

And to the OP, if you want something to add for the hump. It wont latch on at the very beginning of the attack, and the latest it will latch is when he is literally upside down while doing his backflip towards you (found this out while i was testing and when i made the diddy hump thread alittle while back)

First2Bomb

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with the down throw section. I think Diddy's down throw is his best option. You can follow it up with a dash attack or a Fair. If they shield the dash attack, Dxl Hit cancel.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I disagree with the down throw section. I think Diddy's down throw is his best option. You can follow it up with a dash attack or a Fair. If they shield the dash attack, Dxl Hit cancel.
i shudder whenever people call it die. im sure a kitten somewhere dies too

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Another bad habit of mine. Not shield cancel grabbing -_-
Nice work, I'll add a link to it in my big thread.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
diddy hump to up is useful on the stage as well... you can safely pull out 2 bananas while in the air from it. and dThrow is by far the best or mindgames. Theres been times where I've down thrown people 4-5 times in a row by just powerheilding their bair or just grabbing them when they get down..

IDK

Smash Lord
actually after you do the diddy hump spike you can do another forward b, just not after the attack.

DragoonAnger

Smash Rookie
I use his Dthrow the most out of all of them, it lets me pull out a banana and grab it in the air, then I just go from there based on what they do. I use his Fthrow near the edge though for knockback and KO potential. I basically don't use his other two throws.

BrawlerBoy987

Smash Rookie
good solid info, overall.

and I hate being picky, but one thing kind of caught my attention and I just HAVE to correct. you. lol.

You stated near the end of your post: " Other than that, this move has no knockback, and you can't do anything after it."

you were talking about the "toadstool jump" option after successfully latching onto your opponent with diddy's side-B move.

although I agree with the knockback part of your comment, I must point out that you can do ALOT of things after this move. Infact, you can use any other move in your moveset. You can even use your side-B again. Usually what I do after using this move is throw out a banana, jump, throw out another (trying to trap my opponent between the two bananas), and then side-B to position myself so I can take advantage of my opponent.

anyway, sorry for the rather lengthy response to a small mistake. Hope I helped out.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
2 things...

1) You should mention that after using the latch on attack you can't do anything other than air dodge or use an aerial. No special moves, so never use this instead of the footstool on the edge.

After the footstool you can do any move.

2) Stop making dthrow sound so useless! I find it pretty useful for follow ups simply because of the fact that it is easier to read what your opponent is going to do out of it. Definitely the best throw for mindgames.

Top Bottom