• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Thunder Storming" Tutorial by DS13

:034:

Smash Hero
Yeah, I pretty much got this down already but helpful nonetheless.

Glad to see the name caught on though. :D

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I actually didnt know it was called thunder storming. I love the Twilight music in the video, its bad ***.

Phazon Warrior

Smash Cadet
Did you accidently do an F-Air while trying to jump forward? I do that sometimes.

And yes, these "buzzwords" people are coming up with are getting a bit out of control.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
Nice little video, it's a good tech for ganon.

Anybody else use X instead of Y? I use X to jump normally but Y does seem like it might be easier...

BEHR

Smash Hero
Sometimes I do this with the control stick and C-Stick and it usually works I might have to try different methods to see if its comfortable.

Question.
Can you do this with other Aireals?

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Did you accidently do an F-Air while trying to jump forward? I do that sometimes.
probably. usually i'll end up doing a down-tilt when i don't mean to because i don't hit Y hard enough. it just takes practice.

Question.
Can you do this with other Aireals?
i've tried with some, like ZSS's d-air, but none give you as satisfying a result. (though try it with Ganon's f-air sometime...not at all effective, but interesting looking anyway. :laugh:)

the reason it works so well with the thunder drop is because the move itself as absolutely NO LAG after it's completed. the reason the move lags is from Ganon's fall itself, or if you stop the move mid-animation.

BEHR

Smash Hero
probably. usually i'll end up doing a down-tilt when i don't mean to because i don't hit Y hard enough. it just takes practice.

i've tried with some, like ZSS's d-air, but none give you as satisfying a result. (though try it with Ganon's f-air sometime...not at all effective, but interesting looking anyway. :laugh:)

the reason it works so well with the thunder drop is because the move itself as absolutely NO LAG after it's completed. the reason the move lags is from Ganon's fall itself, or if you stop the move mid-animation.
I see.

It be awesome if you could do it with his Uair.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
haha, never thought of spamming it but can't someone just whack you with a smash during the recoil?

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
haha, never thought of spamming it but can't someone just whack you with a smash during the recoil?
if you spam it like i do in the video, then inevitably you are going to get hit. the most important use i've found for this is: after doing the thunder drop, since there is hardly any lag afterwards you can roll left or right IMMEDIATELY after you land and your opponent will have to guess where you will be next. you can usually follow up with a spartan kick or a flame choke after they miss their next move.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
i use to use L for wave dashing, but now since it's useless to me, i've change L to jump to effectively thunder storm with L and c-stick.

Najeh

Smash Rookie
trust me, it takes a little getting used to, but the ultimate way to thunderstorm is to switch ur jump button to b, and ur special button to y. then u can flick down right from b to the stick and there u have it, thunderstormp without having to change ur control stick input and therefore u can get more horizontal movement when u do it.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
trust me, it takes a little getting used to, but the ultimate way to thunderstorm is to switch ur jump button to b, and ur special button to y. then u can flick down right from b to the stick and there u have it, thunderstormp without having to change ur control stick input and therefore u can get more horizontal movement when u do it.
Er... no? Changing the non-used shield button to jump is the only controller change that should even be considered for this, and it doesn't require you to completely relearn how to play. People play characters other than ganon, and they also play games other than brawl *cough*melee*cough* which don't allow them to change their controller configuration. Getting used to a button configuration that will only hurt them when they try to play anyone besides ganon is not something I would advocate in the slightest. Replacing a non-used shoulder button with jump requires absolutely no getting used to, except for actually using it when you want to perform your autocanceled dair or low flying aerial sideB (which is another added benefit you would gain from using a shoulder button to jump - doing aerial sideBs almost instantly). If you've already gotten used to it, that's fine. It's your preference. But extreme control setup changes should never be suggested unless the tech is truly impossible (or at least much less applicable) without some kind of reconfiguration. You can still get plenty of DI by short hopping with the control stick - ganon takes so long to jump that I have not had any trouble sh'ing then DIing toward the foe for almost the entirety of the jump. For those that want more control, then there's the shoulder button -> jump change that has a much less significant influence on the rest of your play, while also giving you much more control over your thunderstorms. There is no one "ultimate" way to thunderstorm, as there are numerous ways that will all yield the same result, each with varying degrees of difficulty and adjustment. Personally, I think that for the ease that your setup provides, the adjustment time is just too unnecessary when there are other solutions out there that require much less drastic changes.

Top Bottom