• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escaping Pikachu's chaingrab

Superstar

Smash Champion
If this has already been answered, I apologize. SWF's search function keeps giving me a database error, so I searched the last 3 pages for such an answer and I got nothing.

Pikachu is capable of chaingrabbing by using repeated down throws. Basically, grab -> downthrow -> grab -> downthrow -> grab, repeat. I know the first answer is that prevention is key, but in a game such as Brawl you are going to be grabbed eventually, so a way to get out earlier before I hit 80% would be nice.

I never fully learned to DI in Melee, just auto stick DI and that's it. This is really a DI question, when and where do I DI. Assuming Pikachu is facing left during the grab, I hold the Control Stick and C-Stick left throughout the entire grab, and there is no difference than when I don't hold it. I try right as well, I get nothing.

So basically, at what time do I hit the Control Stick/C-Stick, what time do I let go, and which direction do I hold it?

pikachu22

Smash Cadet
bwahahaha

There is no escape to my chain grab! ! ! ! ! ! Naw im sure there is a way.....i chain grab computer sheik to about 108%.But a human sheik can always jump out of it some how.....

Brilliance

Smash Rookie
You can get out of it pretty easily by pressing downB as fast as you can, or you can repeatedly hit A to try and get his kicks going, somtimes I can get his down smash off as well.

Basically, these moves are your best bet, i have best luck with the shine because it comes out so fast.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Which is faster to activate though, the shine or an airdodge? I assume both are the same speed, so either should work, just that airdodge is easier to hit as I have a finger over it. And I'm being chiangrabbed and thrown, the jabs won't work as I'm in the air.

I was able to get out in training mode in the past, but not in a real battle. It seems the decreasing knockback comes to bite me, as I hear there is no decreasing in training mode. So if its impossible to get out if grabbed at 0, what percentage should I play ultra defensive to, to prevent getting grabbed and later play more aggresive?

Brilliance

Smash Rookie
In my experiences fighting pikachu, once i start getting chain grabbed, Im usually able to break it after the thrid or so grab, using Fox's down B, since you're in the air, his shine comes out even quicker, than on the ground. But if im on a slope of something awkard, i can usually can get his A combo off right before pika goes to grab again.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The Pikachu you fought must of sucked, because to be honest it didn't work. Maybe its frame specific, but I'm under stun the entire way, I'm serious.

I got the Brawl replay of it, I can't put it on Youtube though to show it. Basically, I hold it in any direction but the way I bounce up does not change at all, and shine and airdodging isn't working. I assume its a timing thing on DI, and I ask again, WHEN do I slam on the Control Stick and the C-Stick?

EDIT: I guess it really can't be escaped... I looked in the Pikachu boards, they say it can go to 70% with proper DI... so I was doing it right.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Fox is easier then many of the other characters for some reason.

Top Bottom