• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pressuring with Snake!

Zero000

Smash Rookie
I made this topic cause i just went on a huge tangent on another thread and decided to scrap it and put it all here.

PRESSURING WHEEE.

This is just one of Snake's strategy that i love and use

As we all know, Snake has some strange moves, very different from the other characters. He can set up Mines/C4/Nikita/Grenades/Mortar (sorta) and they all do a pretty good chunk of damage.

People usually don't want to get blown up, so they stay away from the explosives. Which leaves snake in a huge advantage some of the time (the explosives also hurt him). So the opponent stays in a restricted area or has to move to a area to prevent from Boom. We can make this work to snake's advantage, either move closer to snake so he can do awesome A moves (not going over that) or move opponents into other explosives (IE run away from nikita into C4/nade/mine).

So let's just go over each of his projectiles/mines

Mines (D smash)- snake starts diggin and throws a mine in the ground
Use- its a mine, you step, you boom.

C4- snake can remotely blow up a bomb
use- remote mines! you control it!

Nades- Snake throws nades (far/neutral/close/drop(roll))
Use- exploding projectiles that you can throw!... with a 5 second timer

Nikitas- rockets with aiming capabilities
use- aim aim aim aim aim aim aim

Mortar (U smash)- its a mortar
use- mortar goes up, and goes down

OK. basically, to pressure with snake's arsenal, we need to use every move he has.

This is simply a example of what Snake could do with pressuring
Let's say we're playing on Final Destination

C4/Mines!

i usually start the match by setting up a c4/Mine, really depends on the level and how far your enemy(s) are. if i have time to set up a mine, i do so. a good distance from the c4. more pressure added. just get them out

---mine----x------snake---c4--
or ---mine--x--c4-snake---
or just any type of setup

we can see what the opponent has to deal and avoid.

Now we make them struggle

Nades!- throw them

--mine--x-nades---c4---snake

you see what i'm getting at now? the opponent is severely pressured by the stuff that is set up. if X decides to roll back, he's gonna hit the mine. if he rolls forward, just activate the c4. rushes to you, use a triple A or tilt A to push him back or just fight back smartly. if he sidesteps (whatever it's called) or shields, just throw more nades.

Jumps pretty much apply to the things above (sorta see next paragraph)

fun isn't it?

now lets make people cry now

NIKITAS!
Nikitas are just great, you can aim with them. they're a bit slow when you change directions, but fast when you just leave them alone. if you press R, the nikita will cancel and drop straight down and it's hard to see it fall.

so more pressuring!
if they jump, you can just shoot them down. you can move the nikita up and cancel it and have alot of fun stuff happen. you just need to simply read your opponent (but that will be easy since you have some much pressure on them). just set up the nikita so it will fall on them when they move.

now we're left in a situation like

Nikitaflying

--Mine---x-nade----c4--snake

after canceling the nikita (or not), you could rush towards the enemy to do attacks (just make sure that you wont hit a mine or the c4 wont explode on you). if they roll away from nades, the nikita could fall on them.

Stated above and again... This is simply a example of what Snake could do with pressuring

Now i'm not going into details about other levels, but just use some knowledge and know where to set up stuff.

maybe stuff like, mine on a platform above so if they jump, they boom. Bigger stages may be a little harder to pressure, but you can nikita/nade/c4 spam the hell out of people

Important notes!
Nades
if two nades are thrown and one explodes first, the other one will too.
make use of snake long, neutral, short, and drop throws
you can also "cook" your nades, just keep holding B and throw b whenever, just make sure you drop it before it explodes

C4
c4 has a timer, i'm not sure how long it lasts, but it will eventually explode
I just found this out today, you can put c4s on people!

Mines- also have a timer

Mortar- i didn't include mortars in my example, but possbilities are endless. you could rush up and throw out a charged Usmash and fight until the mortar comes back down
also Mortars dont hurt you.
Mortars could leave you open to attacks
I guess you could throw out a Mortar slide, depends on how much room you have

Nikitas-just remember to use the Cancel when needed. Nikitas also leave you open, so make sure that you want to use the nikita.

Last note
PEOPLE SOMETIMES FORGET WHERE YOU PUT STUFF

now... I dunno, post your examples with snake's pressuring.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Too add to your grenade techniques, I find it useful to pull out a grenade before they hit you then block. The grenade explodes and your protected by your shield. It makes the aggressive players afraid to get close to you if you need to push them back to gain some control.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I was tempted to say that this is sorta just being really defensive...but you know Snake's defensive game still has an offensive element (nades/nikita). Sorta like passive aggressive >.>

Zero000

Smash Rookie
I was tempted to say that this is sorta just being really defensive...but you know Snake's defensive game still has an offensive element (nades/nikita). Sorta like passive aggressive >.>
Well, it is. but like i said, this is only a part of snake's stratagy. once you have mines, c4, maybe nades set up. you can start going offensive and really limit what the other guy can do. its all about mixing it up

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
While Snake does have the ability to pressure his opponent via projectiles, other characters can simply do it better. However, that doesn't mean Snake can't pressure people. I feel a big part of this game will be shield pressuring, and Snake can do that very well.

Snake's jab and ftilt have enough range to hit someone's shield and not get shieldgrabbed. Combine this with jab cancelling, and you can punish their rolls/attempts to shieldgrab you. That's just one strat, but I'm too lazy to type the rest.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
I think the point here is to balance pressuring with hand 2 hand combat.. Get your opponnet off ballance by sourounding him whith explosives then go in for the kill with an utilt or ftilt. Thats how snake rolls.

Something i do to pressure opponnets hs nock them of the stage and spam an uncharged motar near the edge. even if the nock you away they be sent back by the mortar on its way down.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
one thing i've found that is good is to ALWAYS have a mortor in the air. Its a back-up if you mess up at the anti-rush, you can combo it with is throws, and they are really powerful.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
NEW SNAKE STRATEGY:

Put the explosives on the stage so they hurt the other guy.

SOMEONE HAND ME A MEDAL

Top Bottom