• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit has a meteor!

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Pit's down tilt when used against opponents grabbing the ledge can meteor smash them. To make it send them down and not up, they basically have to be touching your feet.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Oh, too bad it doesn't work, what with all those inconvenient things like invincibility frames and easy sweetspotting.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
It's actually easier then you think. By taking advantage of Brawl's new floatiness, and instant shield drop, you can walk up and block a ledge hop attacker, and D-tilt meteor before they grab the ledge again!

kupo15

Smash Hero
Although keep in mind that the easy and instant sweet spotting is only if the character is facing the ledge when recovering. For characters like Sonic, Link and TL, GaW and others, if they are somehow facing the wrong way, they will not sweet spot the ledge and rise up a little giving you the opportunity to do the spike. I havn't tried this spike out yet.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
There is NOTHING like Ike's d-tilt.
I'm sorry, I just managed to pull one off yesterday and I'm still very pleased :)
But yeah, good to know that Pit has a meteor too ^^

Namiel

Smash Cadet
After playing with Link throughout Melee, I can't get excited about this... Link's blew for sure, and I can't imagine Pit's being too much better.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I mained Link in Melee as well, and I've been surprised at how much easier it is to use Pit's D-tilt.

It's actually easier then you think. By taking advantage of Brawl's new floatiness, and instant shield drop, you can walk up and block a ledge hop attacker, and D-tilt meteor before they grab the ledge again!
Although keep in mind that the easy and instant sweet spotting is only if the character is facing the ledge when recovering. For characters like Sonic, Link and TL, GaW and others, if they are somehow facing the wrong way, they will not sweet spot the ledge and rise up a little giving you the opportunity to do the spike. I havn't tried this spike out yet.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
It's very simple to test on your own. Use Pit versus Mario in training mode. Set comp to control, and make him grab the ledge. Position pit so that his foot touches Mario's head. Doing a D-tilt at this point will send him flying straight down.

I did some more testing on the actually location of the meteor hitbox, and it seems to be if a character is touching any part of Pit's lower body. You can test this by going to battlefield, putting pit on top of a platform, and making a character jump from underneath to overlap with a part of Pit. (Please make no sexual comments about this.)

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice
Yeah this happened to me awhile ago, I couldn't figure out how it happened though lol. You seem to give a pretty sound explanation. Nice job :D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
For some reason I think I did this before. And then I think I didnt do this before. I'll do it again to make sure it works. My mind is playing tricks on me...

Leggo

Smash Cadet
Cool! thanks alot Rhyfelwyr, i reallly appreciate all the knowledge you have been sharing :)

Zeela12

Smash Ace
Hm... I'm having trouble pulling this off. I guess it's because they're too far away from me. With the new edge guard system, this is practically useless.

Too bad I guess.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
hmm... sounds like something that can catch people off guard... but i'll have to play around with it to see if it works as well as it sounds since i'm sure people can always edge hop attack and DI away from the edge seeing as how you're shielding right up in their face with 1/2 your body off the edge.

eazail

Smash Apprentice
Couple Questions, what is a Meteor smash? Also whats a D-tilt?
I never played melee so im new to these terms.
I think I know what D-tilt is though, d+A right?
I tried it in practice against mario but it didnt work
Can someone also post a video of this?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
To: eazail
A meteor smash is when an attack sends an opponent straight downward. This is a special strategy you can use against someone who tries to recover back to the platform. Not all characters have meteor smashes. Donkey Kong gots the most Meteor smashes.

Also, D-Tilt = Down tilt. you hold down and then press a to do the move.
Plus... Training mode vs a Pika (or any other character i guess). Tell Pika to edge guard, then get close to him and perform D-tilt.

As for Pit, he does have a meteor. I announce this trick to be 100% true. I did this against a stupid CPU Pika before. I found out that the meteor also works when the opponent is in the air (Then again, all meteors do that). Of course, there is a sweetspot in the move that makes this happen. This could be a combo starter on rare occasions.
A brilliant find! More knowledge to increase my Power!

Top Bottom