• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reign Of Blasters- A R.O.B. Guide (General Update 4/27)

Eaode

Smash Champion
~TABLE OF CONTENTS~

i. Updates

I. FOREWORD

II. INTRODUCTION

III. STATISTICS

IV. ATTACKS
a. JABS
b. TILTS
c. SMASHES
d. AERIALS
e. SPECIALS
f. MISC
V. GENERAL TACTICS
a. OFFENSE
- General Offense
- Approaching
- Edge Guarding​
b. Defense
- General Defense
- Retreating
- Recovering​

VI. ROB FC DATABASE

~Updates~
4/27 Rewrote many move descriptions (Jabs, tilts, smashes, aerials, as well as vB description and sections on edgeguarding w/ Nair/Bair, and countering.
3/21 Added tips for edgeguarding an opponent who recovers high
3/15 Updated desription of Down-B, taking Glide Tossing into account
3/15 Went back and added an edge guarding section to Offensive Tactics. Recovery section also added
3/14 First update! Table of Contents added, color added, Stats section added. General Tactics Section Added
3/14 FIRST POST YAY!

~:FOREWORD:~

Hello, fellow R.O.B. Mains. Because I love R.O.B. so much, I feel it is my duty to provide my friends (That's you) with my opinions, thoughts, and strategies necessary for Playing ROB. Although I am not the only one to do so. You may find T0mmy's Guide to ROB also extremely helpful, I know I did.

Anyway, you came into this thread to read a ROB guide right? Well then youprobably don't want to be dissapointed so...

INTRODUCTION:
ROB is a very fun character to play. Pretty much all of his moves will find their way into the fray. And because of his variety of moves, ROB becomes a versatile and intimidating character. All of this versatility, combined with weight, his bair, and a hax Up-B, make ROB a great recovery character. All around, ROB is awesome.

STATISTICS:

These are a list of ROB's stats. If you feel that anything is listed inaccurately, please let me know. All stats are out of 5

SIZE: 4
ROB is actually pretty big, but he's no DK or Bowser

SPEED: 3
I wouldn't call ROB spedy, he's really a mix of all speeds, so I'll put him in the middle.

POWER: 4
Although ROB has some weak, combo-ready moves, he also has quite a few that pack a whollup.

WEIGHT: 4
All that metal has to weigh somethin'

COMBO ABILITY: 3.5
ROB has some decent combo moves (DashA, Tilts) But I wouldn't say he's really combo-oriented.

FALL SPEED: 3
ROB is slightly floaty, but not much more than anyone else

RECOVERY: 5
ROB's weight lets him take hits better, plus his Godly Up-B allows him to fly to safely while smacking edgeguarders in the face.

ATTACKS:

JABS

Jab 1: Fast quick attack. Can be used as a quick poke if you ever need to disrupt your opponent.

Jab 2: Rob finishes the One-Two punch. Use this to get your opponent out of your face, as this move has a little more knockback and you can recover first and follow up.

TILTS

Forward-Tilt: This move is good. It was deceptive range (You can outrange Marth's Forward smash with this move!) use it to poke your opponent without being close enough to be punished.

Up Tilt: Good setup move right here. Whenever they're close up to you, use this move once (or twice at low %) and it will pop them up right above you. Good for setting up a Uair for more damage.

Down Tilt: Another great tilt for ROB. This move is really fast, has decent range, and traps people in for more hits. It can also Trip people for a nice bonus.

SMASHES

Forward Smash:
This smash is... okay. Like the forward tilt this also has deceptive range. Unlike the forward tilt, the forward smash's range is deceptively bad. You're usually better off doing something else. This isn't to say that it doesn't have its uses; it's good for hitting non-sweetspotting recoveries, or simly to hit someone in front of you with a powerful attack to punish lag.

Up Smash:
A Situationally great smash attack. The Upsmash is definitely not appropriate in all situations. However, when it does come into lay it is a really great smash attack. Use it whenever an opponent is coming down from above you, as this move is fast, and has great priority. I'm not sure, but I think it can even hit Toon Link out of his Dair, usually trading hits. That is to say that this move can go through pretty much anything.
Also, use it whenever your opponent is standing on a platform above you. If they roll or dodge it, you simply miss, with no punishment. If it hits them, you get free damage or mabe a KO. And if they shield it then it usually pushes them off of the platform and onto the ground helplessly, sutting up for a free ftilt, fsmash, or tech chase grab.

Down Smash:
Oh boy. I love this move. First of all, it's quick. You can pull this move out pretty much anytime. Second, it has so much range, anytime your opponent is nearby this move should protect you. This should be your bread and Butter smash attack. Use it whenever you see fit. It's perfect after a roll or Spotdodge so it's also the perfect counterattack. Did I mention that it also starts killing at higher percents? There is no reason to not use this move.

AERIALS

Neutral Aerial: This is one of your best KO moves, period. At 100+ percent, this move starts to kill. And usually the awkward timing will catch opponents off gueard. It's better to jump up and hit them with this move to make it KO more effectively. Use an Up-B and nair during it to alter your momentum and surprise them with death!

Forward Aerial: Awesome aerial. This move is quick, has decent range, and can be abused to form a Wall of Pain. It also has awesome priority. Perfect move for pushing your enemies to the edges of the screen, Jigglypuff style. Use this move whenever you see fit.

Back Aerial: Now this move is versatile. it's not the fastest, but it packs a punch. Not only that, but it propels you forward! You can drop from the edge and use it to ward off recovering opponents. You can use it to get away and attack your enemy without fear of being grabbed. This move also is great for Recovery. Use it to propel yourself to the stage and conserve your Up-B.
Also a great use for this is the reverse Bair, which is just hitting the on the top side of ROB's base (or about half of his body) This produces a hit in the same direction you just blasted. Great for setting up a Bair->Dsmash combo, Bair->Grab, just use your imagination.

Down Aerial: This move isn't great. It's main problem is the fact that it halts all of your momentum, and it really akward to aim. Nontheless, if you can land it, it's a great spike. You have to read your opponent's recover to make it work. Combine it with Up-B to make it more unpredictable.

Up Aerial: This move is purely to build up damage. This move isn't always great, as it gets outprioritized, and it pretty easy to DI out of the final hit and punish ROB.

SPECIALS

Neutral B: ROB fires a laser from his eyes. This move has a very long range, and can be angled up or down for a wider range of trajectories. It actually has three charges. If you spam it, you get a little spray of energy that isn't really useful at all, like a weak forward smash with the same lag.
But if you wait about 2 seconds, you get the laser back. The more you leave it unused, the more damage it does.
But here's the awesome part. If you leave it unused long enough, you get a beefed up version of the laser, which is thicker, does a lot more damage and actually has decent knockback. Again, free damage! It can also be used for edgeguarding purposes (only at higher %) Down side is that it takes approximately 20 seconds for the laser to reach this state.
Overall, the laser can be used a lot. You are rewarded by spamming it, and at the same time you are rewarded for saving it. This is a win-win move right here!

Side B: Practically useless. It's slow, has no knockback unless you get really close (and even then it's not much), and it leaves you open to attack. It can reflect projectiles, but it seems to slow to be worth it at all. and even then, you have to precisely aim it in order to reflect most projectiles. Overall, just not good.

Down B: Great projectile. Abuse this move. You can throw it out uncharged just to have a projectile handy, or charge it up for reat power. Fully charged this move does 19% on the initial throw out and KO at higher percents. Use it to get a hold on the battle field to stop predictable control tactics. Also use it as an awesome set up with Glide Tossing, to lead into Fsmashes, tilts, grab,s you name it! Beware though, as the opponent can grab it with a dash attack. if that happens, remember the negative: ROB's gyro simply disappears when shielded.

NOTE: GLIDE TOSS: A glide toss is performed by Rolling and then immediately pressing A to throw the item in your hand (or the cstick in any direction). You get virtually no lag, and you keep the invincibilty frames from the roll and the distance, which lts you follow up with anything really, because now you're right in you opponents face!

Up-B: WHOA. This move is awesome. Not only is it a beast recovery move, but it can be broken up and attacked from in-between. You can use this to keep chasing them off the screen with Fairs, etc. Over time, your fuel depletes and you must stay grounded for a short time for them to recharge. Overall, just an awesome move.

MISC

Dash-Attack: Great setup move. Has low lag so use it to setup a tilt combo (Dash atk > Utilt > Utilt > Uair, Dash atk > Dtilt > Ftilt > Fair, etc etc etc.)
Ledge Attack <100: Just a standard attack really, serves to clear the area before you come back up.
Ledge Attack >100: pretty much the exact same, but slower <_<;
Get up attacks: Again, just to get some space. They have pretty good range.
GRAB and THROWS
Pummel Attack (a): fast attack, just to add a bit of extra damage before throwing.
Forward Throw: Quick basic throw. Just to get them away from you
Back Throw: Again, fast throw, sets up for edgeguarding.
Down throw: sends the opponent upward, good to follow up with a Uair afterwards.
Up Throw: Pile Drive, send them up and in front of you, prefect setup for Fairs to push 'em away.

GENERAL TACTICS:

!OFFENSE!

GENERAL OFFENSE

Shooting the Starting Gun:
I use this tactic all the time. As soon as the match starts, Fire Ya Layzah. They take 5 damage, and you're already in the lead!

Wall Of Pain (WoP):
This refers to the usage of high priority/ranged aerial to create a sort of "Wall" of hitboxes between you and your enemy. This creates a situation where it is hard for the enemy to approach and easy for you to approach. A WoP also brings about the ability to abuse this tactic to form combo chains of the move, forcing the opponent back and adding damage, even driving them off the screen. ROB's Fair fits this purpose. Use it to annoy opponents and drive them to their death (use of Up-B may be required to complete the task.

APPROACHING

ROB has a few options when you're coming in on the offensive:

- If you have it charged, a full Layzah from a Short Hop (angled down so it connects) Is a good way to close the gap on your opponent without them swatting you away like a Robotic fly. Follow up with a jab or Ftilt and continue
- Also a good idea is to use you Fairs to approach. Use the WoP to get in your opponents face until you can fit some more attacks in there.
- A third option is always your trusty Dash attack. The Dash attack is versatile in that it can lead into multiple follow ups, those being his jabs, all of his tilts, or sometimes a grab. All of these can set your opponent up for a bit it tilt comboing and probably a Uair for added damage.
- Even another option I've found useful is his Ftilt. His ftilt has surprisingly good range, and at mid percents can be followed up with Fairs for some WoP action.
- And even more still, you have the option of Glide Tossing your Gyro at the opponent. This allows you to quickly follow up with a Grab, tilts or forward smash. Awesome and surprising approach.

EDGE GUARDING

When edge guarding, ROB can use several of his moves to ensure that the opponent stays off:
- Bair: The Bair is a great move for edgeguarding if you're hanging on the ledge and your opponent is coming below the stage. Just ledge-drop and Bair Away! Also, it's great to simply run off the edge and throw out a Bair toward the stage. This tactic intercepts a lot of characters' Up-B recoveries (mostly those that gain quick vertical distance) and Stage spikes them!
- Fair: Ah, the ol' reliable Fair. As stated before, wth the Fair, you just need to keep pushing them, create a wall of pain and force them farther from the stage until you're sure they're dead (which if fighting Pit means past the KO boundry >_<)
- Dair: Of course ROB's spike is going to be an edge guarding move! although sometime difficult to land, the Dair comes with the reward of knowing your opponent won't come back again. The Dair can be handy from a SH off of the stage, or by a ledge-drop if the opponent has a vertically oriented recovery.
- Nair: This can actually be a very reliable edge guarding move. Just run or jump of the stage and Nair. It covers a large area and all around ROB's body, so it's pretty safe (Even if you exchange hits with an Up-B or something, they still die ^_^). Great vertical power and can kill horizontally if close enough to the edges.
- Forward Smash: Although it's not applicable to all situations, sometimes you can catch the opponent mid recovery with a down angled Fsmash. This works a lot better on Recoveries that Don't sweetspot (Snake, Sonic) and some that might not always sweetspot correctly. Usually your aerials are abetter option, but if you can't run off and hit them in time, an Fsmash can do the trick sometimes.
- Neutral B: That's right, the Layzah. This option is really only available if you haven't used it for more than 20 seconds, as you need the fully charged lasr to make this work. At higher percentages, the Laser actually does knock people back a considerable amount, enough to quickly get the kill if they're already far off the stage.

However, if they are recovering high, you could try a few things:

1. If they are low enough and in reach, you can Bair them to get them back off the stage.

2. Or if they're in reach to can simply hit them with a Fair and start WoP'ing them off the stage, usually for the kill

3. If they're really high, you can just wait for them. Hit them with a Uair are they come down for some damage or if their Up-B leaves them vulnerable, you can try to intercept their fall with a properly placed Upsmash for power

Also, if they are recovering high or otherwise far away from you, use this time to charge your gyro (for fire a laser if you can hit them)

!DEFENSE!

GENERAL DEFENSE

Dodging and Countering:
- Another one of the awesome things about ROB is his ability to counter. Whenever you can anticipate an attack coming, Spotdodge (or roll, but Dodge is better). His dodge is so fast, the you can almost immediately Dsmash without being vulnerable at all. His Dsmash is so fast and has so much range that it's the perfect move to counter whiffed attacks with. However, it's not invincible. Characters with multi hits smashes and the like can hit you right out of the spot dodge. Example of this are Zelda's Forward smash, and Toon/Adult Link's Forward smashes when porperly timed.
- Also a Viable option is the tried and true Shield Grab, which works better at low percents because the Up and Down throws lead nicely into Fairs/Uairs.

RETREATING

In General ROB has several methods of retreating and keeping himself safe.
- His Fair may be great for offense and approaching, but they can also be great for creating that wall as you retreat to safety, keeping aggressive enemies at bay.
- Similar to rereating Fairs, his Bair is also wonderous for this too. As long as you face away from you opponent, the Bair creates a nice powerful hitbox between you and your opposition as well as boosting you to safety.
- As you retreat, you may need to be protect from all angles. This is where ROB's Nair comes in. Although it has a bit of startup, after it engages, it's very hard to approach ROB while he's using this move. It also has killing power, which is a nice bonus.
- And again, the classic shield grab comes in handy. just Grabb 'em and toss them forward or Back and flee to safety (or edgeguard if applicable).

RECOVERING

When Recovering, your Goal is always to remain as safe as possible. There are several methods and techniques you can employ to make sure you get back on the stage safely

1. Use your Bair! Whenever you're knocked high up and off the stage, your Bair can be a very good tool in gaining horizontal distance without using your Up-B. Of course, you don't want to do this too close to the stage, because the edge guardger can hit you away again in the lag.

2. Recover From Below! When using your Up-B, it's always a good idea to approach the edge from below. This makes it easy to sweetspot the edge so you can get back on safely.

3. Attack your Atacker! ROB's unique Up-B allows him do do what most other characters can't; Recovery quickly onto the stage while using an aerial. Use this to your advantage. When approaching from below, ROB's Uair provides a way to swat away edge guarders that like to get close.

4. Start a Wall of Pain! Don't be afraid to start WoPing before you even make it back to the stage. Setting up a wall of Fairs betwen you and your opponent is a nice way to ensure that he lays off for the time being. Bonus is that once you land, you can continue comboing!

5. Rising Nair! Elaborated on by ZelgadisA027123 in This Thread:
From an up+B, continue holding B to get thrust, and do a nair. ROB's nair begins at a diagonal low and in front of him, and then swoops around behind him to cover his top and front. The fact that the top (and especially the diagonal at the front-top) is the last area to be hit is important - you will be hitting above you when you are at about the highest during this attack.

This technique can be varied slightly based on when you apply thrust. Because the top is the LAST area you hit, if you stall before you begin the attack, your upwards momentum will increase a nice amount by the time you are hitting above you, giving the nair more of a swooping look, and making it harder for your opponent to react and air dodge out of the way. This variant can be done by doing your up+B, letting the stick go neutral, initiating your nair, and then jamming up to regain thrust. I prefer this method, as it uses lest thrust and has a more awkward placement.
Read the Thread for the full explanation.

ROB FRIEND CODE DATABASE

The ROB FC Database has been moved to This thread. Please leave you friend code and add others too!

Still more to come! Leave Comments, Suggestions, and anything to help improve this guide and further our quest to master ROB!

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
I plan to read this very soon, and I will comment where I think I should.

Thanks for making one, these R.O.B. boards need substance!

Ruuku

Smash Lord
There some good stuff here. You should add that his ground dodge is pretty fast. So dodge into d.smash is awesome. b.air can also be used to approach forward.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's actually quite a good guide, good job!

The one thing I would mention is that the Up-B can be his downfall if you get hit out of it. You can not have time to refeul and thus have no recovery.

Do you plan on making this in depth in many ways? If so, check out the stickied Lucario Guide in thier section, it has a pretty good format.

Foxxx17

Smash Cadet
Not a bad start, cant wait to see what technical stuff u put in, I'm gonna start making technical videos for Rob soon to help explain/demonstrate some of his cool little combos keep an eye out in the future :D

Eaode

Smash Champion
Well, it's actually quite a good guide, good job!

The one thing I would mention is that the Up-B can be his downfall if you get hit out of it. You can not have time to refeul and thus have no recovery.

Do you plan on making this in depth in many ways? If so, check out the stickied Lucario Guide in thier section, it has a pretty good format.
Thanks ^_^.

Even if ROB can be hit from the Up-B, the fact that you can attack while using it makes the problem almost nonexistant. The thruster even fire while you're in the middle of an attack, so Rising Fairs or Uairs and keep edgeguarders at bay while you go for the sweetspot from below. Sometimes I even go under the stage to the other side just for kicks.

Good tip about the Lucario Guide, they really do have a good format going on. I've added a stats section and General Tactics. Probably next is actually data for each move or moving on to more specific stuff. Any more suggestions would still be greatly appreciated.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Eaode said:
APPROACHING

ROB has a few options when you're coming in on the offensive:

- If you have it charged, a full Layzah from a Short Hop (angled down so it connects) Is a good way to close the gap on your opponent without them swatting you away like a Robotic fly. Follow up with a jab or Ftilt and continue
- Also a good idea is to use you Fairs to approach. Use the WoP to get in your opponents face until you can fit some more attacks in there.
- A third option is always your trusty Dash attack. The Dash attack is versatile in that it can lead into multiple follow ups, those being his jabs, all of his tilts, or sometimes a grab. All of these can set your opponent up for a bit it tilt comboing and probably a Uair for added damage.
- Even another option I've found useful is his Ftilt. His ftilt has surprisingly good range, and at mid percents can be followed up with Fairs for some WoP action.
For approaching, depending on the character, you also have to option of not approaching. Make them come to you and play the defense, you have a gyro and a laser, charge the gyro, and they often come approaching.

As for more things, I don't know, maybe if you're really bored input the % drop for each repetetive use of an attack. Speaking of attack decays, this makes Wall of Pain more useful, I think. They'll fly close to the sane distance from each subsequent hit, thus you can chain it well. I'm not sure how close this is, I haven't gotten aroun to doing any research.

Also, maybe for the purpose of learning start a section including all the R.O.B. mains who wants to be mentioned along with thier Brawl Friend code. There's nothing better than R.O.B. dittoing to improve a fellow Robotic Operating Buddies.

Eaode

Smash Champion
For approaching, depending on the character, you also have to option of not approaching. Make them come to you and play the defense, you have a gyro and a laser, charge the gyro, and they often come approaching.

As for more things, I don't know, maybe if you're really bored input the % drop for each repetetive use of an attack. Speaking of attack decays, this makes Wall of Pain more useful, I think. They'll fly close to the sane distance from each subsequent hit, thus you can chain it well. I'm not sure how close this is, I haven't gotten aroun to doing any research.

Also, maybe for the purpose of learning start a section including all the R.O.B. mains who wants to be mentioned along with thier Brawl Friend code. There's nothing better than R.O.B. dittoing to improve a fellow Robotic Operating Buddies.
Yeah, psychologically, whenever someone sees you charging some kind of move they always want to approach and stop you. It's actually a great way to bait into a Spotdodge, Dsmash

OOOH, I hadn't much thought of the attack decay. I mean, ROB's Fair is already good enough, more combo potential is just Crazy :psycho:

And Now that you mention it, I probably will stat a R.O.B. FC Database, I'll be the first, you wanna be the second? ^_^

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, psychologically, whenever someone sees you charging some kind of move they always want to approach and stop you. It's actually a great way to bait into a Spotdodge, Dsmash

OOOH, I hadn't much thought of the attack decay. I mean, ROB's Fair is already good enough, more combo potential is just Crazy :psycho:

And Now that you mention it, I probably will stat a R.O.B. FC Database, I'll be the first, you wanna be the second? ^_^
Sure, put me up. The only thing is, I don't actually have a Wii yet. I've just been doing research like mad and playing at friends' houses. I'm getting the game tomorrow, and a friend's lending me a Wii, but it'll be a while before I can have a Wii Friend code or a Brawl friend code up.

Move decay is going to be important within this game, it may very well lead to combos.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Sure, put me up. The only thing is, I don't actually have a Wii yet. I've just been doing research like mad and playing at friends' houses. I'm getting the game tomorrow, and a friend's lending me a Wii, but it'll be a while before I can have a Wii Friend code or a Brawl friend code up.

Move decay is going to be important within this game, it may very well lead to combos.
Well, when you get everything set, drop the info by. Always great to have more ROB fans ^_^

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Nice guide, should be helpful to new ROB users.

One thing that I just found out today is that after you use Up B, you CANNOT air dodge.

Frames

DI
One thing that I just found out today is that after you use Up B, you CANNOT air dodge.
Yea, that's pretty much the only problem with his Up-B, but if someone comes after you, you can still hit them with an aerial. The only downside is when you have to deal with projectiles, it becomes harder to deal with them.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Nice guide, should be helpful to new ROB users.

Hmm, that's an interesting bit of info right there. Does seem like it would make projectiles a problem.

I haven't had much of a problem with this yet. If I start to notcie it's a big deal, I'll probably try to find a solution and put it in recovery tactics

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Hm, that will become something I'll have to take into consideration from now on.

I'd never noticed this, good job pointing it out. Some projectiles could be caust, or possibly out prioritized by another move. Should be interesting...

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
Eaode, i need ur opinion here, would ROBs Dair be more successful FF'd or not?

nice guide btw...and y doesnt ROB get any Stickies?

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
Digital Limit, there are vids but i dont exactly know where it is...well it should be in the Peach section, NikoK did it with peach, and thers vids on youtube of it by him also.

EDIT: thank Niko K for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbiFZ1P6h0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxAhvzBDZk&feature=related

i think his explanations in the vid are good enuff...but i think more in depth stuff should be in the Peach section or check the Tactical section in the Compilations Thread of ATs

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
haha np im tryin to get it myself, looks like a pretty good technique and kinda mindgamey also lol

Foxxx17

Smash Cadet
I implemented the glide toss into my ROB a couple of days ago, and it actually works very well on him. Idk how but as of today I've been able to go REALLY far with it and i mean like half the length of battlefield, it's all about timing the roll cancel i think i have it recorded from the smash fest i was at ill take a look through the taps to give you an example.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Eaode, i need ur opinion here, would ROBs Dair be more successful FF'd or not?

nice guide btw...and y doesnt ROB get any Stickies?
It really doesn't matter, because it stops your momentum either way. You just need to be in the right place at the right time, and if you need to fast fall to get there, then go for it :)

Your right, I probably should suggest a sticky for this. I just didn't get around to it because the ROB boards aren't that active anyways. But I'll probably do it now ;)

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
ok thx and for the Glide Toss - a really good example is in the ROB combo vid, im sure of it.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Nice job on the guide... i didnt know about the glide toss thingy... its been a great help.

Uubimay

Smash Rookie
Not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but R.O.B has an infinite amount of dodges while airborn (N/A during ^B).

Eaode

Smash Champion
Not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but R.O.B has an infinite amount of dodges while airborn (N/A during ^B).
Everybody has this. Pretty useful for avoiding projectiles and escaping combos
Nice job on the guide... i didnt know about the glide toss thingy... its been a great help.
Wow Eaode, this is a really great guide, it helped me alot.
Thanks ^_^

Trizzy

Smash Cadet
It's about time ROB got some serious representation. The best part is... ROB is so underplayed that few people know what to do against a good one.

I suggest you abust his N-air more, Eaode. It seems to me that most recoveries in the game seem to be from well over the stage as opposed to under or parallel with it. N-air is perfect for that once you get accustomed to the timing, and can score a KO at surprising percents if you catch them fairly high in the air.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to do his up tilt wth out jumping first...
how do I avoid that?

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
I'd like to add a discovery of mine-
Rob has NO lag at all when hitting the ground during an aerial. What I've been doing is right above the ground, going into my nair, so as to hit off any potential attackers, and then I immediately follow up with a dsmash at the second I touch the ground. It doesn't even have to be that, you could lazer after a fair, fsmash after a bair, or even dair usmash, which I must say is a GODLY amazing combo from experience. They be regrettin' messin' with the robot.

A little follow up from earlier:
I've been playing around with this lack of aerial-to ground lag. It's basically like he automatically L cancels if you hit the ground during an air attack. His Dair doesn't make good use of this due to the loss of motion, but this makes his other airs **** face when it comes to juggling and a wall of pain. The main combo I've found works is nair, hit the ground during the attack, then hit them with a Downsmash. A more situational second one, but just as awesome, is when they're falling above you, shorthop, use Uair, then while hitting the ground launch up an Upsmash. If anyone finds some more combo use for this, let everyone know. This is going to make ROB soooo amazing.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I'd like to add a discovery of mine-
Rob has NO lag at all when hitting the ground during an aerial. What I've been doing is right above the ground, going into my nair, so as to hit off any potential attackers, and then I immediately follow up with a dsmash at the second I touch the ground. It doesn't even have to be that, you could lazer after a fair, fsmash after a bair, or even dair usmash, which I must say is a GODLY amazing combo from experience. They be regrettin' messin' with the robot.

A little follow up from earlier:
I've been playing around with this lack of aerial-to ground lag. It's basically like he automatically L cancels if you hit the ground during an air attack. His Dair doesn't make good use of this due to the loss of motion, but this makes his other airs **** face when it comes to juggling and a wall of pain. The main combo I've found works is nair, hit the ground during the attack, then hit them with a Downsmash. A more situational second one, but just as awesome, is when they're falling above you, shorthop, use Uair, then while hitting the ground launch up an Upsmash. If anyone finds some more combo use for this, let everyone know. This is going to make ROB soooo amazing.
>_<

ROB has landing lag like any other character. Dair won't combo into anything as it stops momentum and has a lot of lag, so Dair to Upsmas is completely impossible.

Nair to downsmash probably wouldn't work either, mabe at 0% and if you hit them at the last possible moment, either way, not practival because the Nair has too much startup so you might as well set up a dsmash some other way. I really don't use nair at low percents at all anyway because you should save it for KO's

And Uair has REALLY bad landing lag.... if you land during it, you wouldn't be able to follow up with anything.

Did you just make all that up?

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
In my modest hours of experience with brawl and ROB as my main, I must say that he seems like one of the few characters who can control fights well when positioned a medium distance below or above the opponent. By medium I mean far enough away to evade any air or dair attacks if necessary. His jump is simply amazingly beautiful to exploit on slower characters, and his upsmash and dair "afterburner" attacks have been very successful for me.

It is true that many of his good KO attacks and damage attacks have a substantial startup lag before executing, like DDD, Ike, and others. Despite this, ROB seems to execute moves "in the nick of time" very often for me, I don't if anyone can share that sentiment! Also, I think ROB is great in the air but ONLY if you still possess the fight's momentum. As soon as you switch to defense in the air, things can get ugly for big ol' ROB.

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
>_<

ROB has landing lag like any other character. Dair won't combo into anything as it stops momentum and has a lot of lag, so Dair to Upsmas is completely impossible.

Nair to downsmash probably wouldn't work either, mabe at 0% and if you hit them at the last possible moment, either way, not practival because the Nair has too much startup so you might as well set up a dsmash some other way. I really don't use nair at low percents at all anyway because you should save it for KO's

And Uair has REALLY bad landing lag.... if you land during it, you wouldn't be able to follow up with anything.

Did you just make all that up?
No, It's something I've honestly been observing. I dunno if I'm articulating it the right way, but I've been doing nairs above the ground, then immediately doing a Dsmash and it works without any lag, or with so little lag that I'm not noticing it. The initial target does get knocked away at medium to high percentages, so the Dsmash ends up being worthless, but they can sometimes avoid the nair, or if there's more than one opponent, it's great. I did correct myself on the Dair to Usmash, that was just me overspeculating the possibilities a bit. -_-; But if you're not going to believe me, you should give it a try on the Nair Dsmash. Don't take my word for it.

Eaode

Smash Champion
No, It's something I've honestly been observing. I dunno if I'm articulating it the right way, but I've been doing nairs above the ground, then immediately doing a Dsmash and it works without any lag, or with so little lag that I'm not noticing it. The initial target does get knocked away at medium to high percentages, so the Dsmash ends up being worthless, but they can sometimes avoid the nair, or if there's more than one opponent, it's great. I did correct myself on the Dair to Usmash, that was just me overspeculating the possibilities a bit. -_-; But if you're not going to believe me, you should give it a try on the Nair Dsmash. Don't take my word for it.
I just tested this, and Nair to Dsmash can work sometimes, at 0% if you follow them perfectly and they don't DI. It's pretty impractical, and doesn't work with the immediate burst of the Nair, only with the last (weakest) part.

However, I have found that Nair actually combos into a forward smash until about 18%. It's a nice free 22% I guess, but I still wouldn't want to use it much as to save Nair for KO's. And again, they could probably DI out of this too.

I did happen to do a Nair (hit with last part) -> Dtilt (turnaround) -> Dsmash at 0%, but all of these Nair combo options are really impractical. If you can setup a Nair like that at low %, you should just be able to get a grab -> Uair or some tilts combos in there instead to save your Nair's power.

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
I'll agree, it's a really situational technique. But it does have alot of use sometimes. If they dodge your nair, boom, you can pop them with another attack. If you time it right, I've been able to do the seamless transition from Nair into side tilts as well, his fsmash, jab, and grab. Although it's alot harder, you can also do this from fair and bair. It's even more impractical from those though, so I wouldn't even bother practicing that. I'll try to post a video sometime today.

Top Bottom