• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New discovery? PSI Magnet.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure you all know that PSI magnet can deal damage, with decent knockback. I found there is a technique, ( I'm not sure how usefully it will be), where you will get the effect of wave dashing and doing a PSI magnet simultaneously. It gets you decent forward momentum, and a PSI magnet in (PSI mag. being a -get away from me- move). It can be done out of shield, which is faster than actually un-shielding and doing PSI mag.. I find this may be usefull because you often are sliding after receiving an aerial or smash move, so the movement would be hellpfull in getting you close to your opponent for an counter-attack.
It is done by pushing diagonally down in any direction, and then sliding your finger from y-> Down B, in the fashion you would multishine in melee.
I can post a video of it later.
Regarding name, I think ill let the back room decide the name, cause i don't want people getting after me about naming it ;_;
Discuss:
Usefulness
PSI magnet potential

GofG

Smash Champion
This sounds interesting. I'll test it out next time I'm playing.

Is this seriously the second major AT we've found for Lucas? Are all of the other characters similarly buggy??

Edit: kr0, I don't seem to see anything like what he is describing at 0:46, or anywhere in the match for that matter. Perhaps I have the wrong idea about what it is?

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Same thing essentially, but i do it out of shield instead.
EDIT: I n my matches ive been putting it into practical use. It works nicely against characters with slow wind down lag on their moves.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I've mentioned this technique in another thread. It seems to be situationally pretty useful. The momentum on some B moves for different characters seems to do some weird things. I've been able to get Lucas to slide backward after moving forward with his down B. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how I did it. More testing needs to be done.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I've mentioned this technique in another thread. It seems to be situationally pretty useful. The momentum on some B moves for different characters seems to do some weird things. I've been able to get Lucas to slide backward after moving forward with his down B. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how I did it. More testing needs to be done.
I too have dont something to that effect. Let us both experiment on it.

funnyguy500

Smash Cadet
When I dash forward --> shorthopped down b it will usually slide me backwards afterwards... not sure what causes this to happen but i find it extremely useful to approach with this and alternate approaching with shorthopped Fair.... i also find this easier to do with bsticking as i slide from x to bstick down, and it makes it easier to switch to fair if i decide on it

EDIT: looks like if u leave a couple frames between the shorthop and the down b you move forward like a normal psi magnet jump, but if u do it exactly as u shorthop it slide u backwards, which probably opens up alot of options

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Hello all. Sorry, my internet has been dead for a while....so I haven't been able to keep up with the thread....

@Sinistar
I will see.

@Funnyguy 500
I'm not entirely sure what triggers that momentum. But I can look into that.

But I did find out that EVERY B move with most characters can be used either left or right(Including down B). So technically you can SH out of shield, and PSI Mag. someone behind you. To get to my point...in my opinion and from complete theory, you could be running, then jump backwards, then PSI magnet in the direction you were running. With all of that frame perfect, I could imagine something that would look like a PSI Mag. while sliding backwards.

EDIT: I just tested it out my theory, it was false, doing what i described there will only kill what ever momentum you have.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Its not the same as B-sticking. Samurai Panda's find on the use of the Bstick enhances the use of the PSI magnet and it CAN give forward momentum as i tested it out when I saw Sam Panda's thread. IMO B-sticking is much more convenient for the pk fire wave bounce, so I would learn to do it with the b-stick.

hazard99

Smash Cadet
Can anyone post a different video? I don't really see what he's doing, since in 00:46 he gets hit. I'd test it myself, but I don't have a Wii in my dorm.

If its too much of a hassle, then don't worry about it :)

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
As soon as i get a half decent editing program i will be sure to do it.

Just to clarify, this wouldn't be used the same way Sam Panda's discovery would be used, his being a hit-and-go type of attack where the content of this topic would be "What would you do when you attacked when your shield is up".

Just for re-cap:
In brawl when you shield and attack, more than often you will find yourself slide away from an attack. The PSI Magnet with the right input can regain forward momentum while executing the PSI magnet which has better KO potential and a semi-spiking property (thanks Samurai Panda) making it better (IMO) than SH out of shield and fairing. People can argue that Lucas's wood would be better suited for this kind of situation, but I find that the wood doesn't have the range to counter-attack.

yshikllr

Smash Apprentice
As soon as i get a half decent editing program i will be sure to do it.

Just to clarify, this wouldn't be used the same way Sam Panda's discovery would be used, his being a hit-and-go type of attack where the content of this topic would be "What would you do when you attacked when your shield is up".

Just for re-cap:
In brawl when you shield and attack, more than often you will find yourself slide away from an attack. The PSI Magnet with the right input can regain forward momentum while executing the PSI magnet which has better KO potential and a semi-spiking property (thanks Samurai Panda) making it better (IMO) than SH out of shield and fairing. People can argue that Lucas's wood would be better suited for this kind of situation, but I find that the wood doesn't have the range to counter-attack.
I played around with this last night, and honestly think it to be a great technique. It is not even difficult to perform and I agree that it should work for countering better than fair out of shield. Also I think it can be used to make Lucas' overall movement much more unpredictable.

Seanson

Smash Ace
pretty neat, mastered it in like 0 minutes. simple to do. havent tried it against a person yet though. sadly it seems it is only for offense only since the distance isnt very big, just big enough to counter shield knockback, but does it have more range than the grab?

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
pretty neat, mastered it in like 0 minutes. simple to do. havent tried it against a person yet though. sadly it seems it is only for offense only since the distance isnt very big, just big enough to counter shield knockback, but does it have more range than the grab?
Its about the same...I don't know the frame data so I can't be sure but I'd say it would be either or depending on the percent

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Wow, that looks to be an amazing alternative to shield grabbing if the opponent is at higher percents.

EDIT: SHL lead-ins are doomed.

EDIT 2: Lucas' wood has much better range, it has a very disjointed hitbox.

hazard99

Smash Cadet
Video done, sorry for crap quality...I don't have a capture card or anything right now...

PSI Magnet "Wave dash" Demo

EDIT: Holy ****, I'm really sorry about he crap *** quality..especially the text...I wrote it myself and I can barely read it >_<
I think the video is fine. Its youtube, so don't worry about the quality.

Thank you so much for the video, and the extras :D.

(Nice music too...)

Edit: After watching your video a few times JAPMAN, I'm confused where the spike frames or spike locations (I believe thats the right terminology) are in Lucas' bair. It seems like it it's at the very tip of his foot. Am I correct? If it is, then as long as you hit with the tip of the foot it will spike, regardless of which point in the animation the attack is in, correct?

I don't have a Wii in my dorm, so I can't test it out. I'm pretty much learning from videos and you all before a tourney I'm going to in April. I got in 3rd place with PT (And I just wanted to use him, I like Pit and Lucas more ^^;) in my last one, so I guess its this method is working. Thanks for the info.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused where the spike frames or spike locations (I believe thats the right terminology) are in Lucas' bair. It seems like it it's at the very tip of his foot
It is the certain frame within an move that has a spiking property, so the right terminology here is the frame in which a move spikes, but location is alright too.

But the spiking points of the back air, are located behind and below Lucas. The timing is nothing like i had ever encountered in melee, so it took a while to get used to it, but i can do it none the less.

Ill draw a diagram when i get the time and ill post it here.

hazard99

Smash Cadet
It is the certain frame within an move that has a spiking property, so the right terminology here is the frame in which a move spikes, but location is alright too.

But the spiking points of the back air, are located behind and below Lucas. The timing is nothing like i had ever encountered in melee, so it took a while to get used to it, but i can do it none the less.

Ill draw a diagram when i get the time and ill post it here.
hmm... you said Behind and below Lucas, but at 00:25 in this video you can see that MK is right above Lucas just at the beginning of the attack, and it spikes him.

Maybe I didn't understand back and below correctly... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URRciCDt9dU&feature=related

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
i use the bstick to do this and it is much faster. But this only works against slower opponents since faster characters can dode this. This technique isn't game breaking but it is something to look into more. When you use the bstick it's a little different. You short hop and move your control stick forward but your bstick diagonally backwards or forwards. If you move your bstick forward you will slide along the ground and do a second long psimagnet. If you move the bstick back you will slide backwards and do a second long psimagnet. I like my way more since it's faster and more consistent. I can move from one edge of the final destination to the other without stopping.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
B-Sticking and C-Sticking are not faster than doing them manually with A/B/analog stick. They come out the same speed, it all depends on the player's finger's muscle memory.

Colin Mitchell

Smash Apprentice
Hey. I've got some experience with doing this (it's way fun), and as far as I know, the only reason to b-stick this is to get the bounce BACK when doing this. Bouncing forward is way easier with the b-button in my opinion.

Levitas

the moon
hmm... you said Behind and below Lucas, but at 00:25 in this video you can see that MK is right above Lucas just at the beginning of the attack, and it spikes him.

Maybe I didn't understand back and below correctly... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URRciCDt9dU&feature=related
I've got a vid somewhere that I could dig up that shows Ike getting spiked by a backair when he's actually above me. I'm thinking that the spike is timing dependant, and if it hits at the right timing, it'll spike no matter what part of the hitbox connects.

Towel King

Smash Rookie
I've got a vid somewhere that I could dig up that shows Ike getting spiked by a backair when he's actually above me. I'm thinking that the spike is timing dependant, and if it hits at the right timing, it'll spike no matter what part of the hitbox connects.
Yeah. It's almost definitely time-dependent, but I don't think it's the FULL hitbox. If so, it's better than I thought. @.@

fear17

Smash Apprentice
I practiced a lot and finally mastered it but it still kind of lacks a little cuz its not fast enough but its still effective

Top Bottom