• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Release - new technique

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
okay so you know how fast you can release your shield in brawl, well did you know that if you're say.... Snake, and you block even a fast move like let's say... Marth's fair from above, but you don't feel like shield grabbing. Well after you block it, you can simply release your shield, and there's so little lag in that, that you can do your 2 hit fast jab combo which does like 20%.

any character with a fast move, for the most part, can do this (didn't try yoshi). Zelda can do it into down smash for example.

there's tons of possibilities

i don't care if anyone else knows this, just throwing this useful-with-some-characters technique that i figured out out there cuz I want this game to be deeper

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
You didn't try yoshi? Poop, he was the one without a shield grab in melee, this could really help him in brawl. Anyone try this with yoshi yet?

Edit, by the way thanks for sharing dude.

Betaz

Smash Ace
interesting...so this only works with attacks that come out quickly, or can you do any attack out of it?

Zink

Smash Champion
so, you're saying there's less sheildstun in brawl. new technique? not really, just more of a useful thing to have, like Forward's defense trick from Melee.

mmm, Ike jab combo.

-Ran

Smash Master
Typically when a game is released, you have a few million 'techniques discovered' that are then compacted into the principles behind them. This however, seems relatively basic in to how it works, but most wouldn't have noticed.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
i mean, shield grabbing is called a technique, so why wouldn't this be. Call it whatever you want, used periodically this could become very useful, and that's basically the point.

if you use attacks that come out fast, there is no chance of them blocking when they land, but I mean come on, who's going to shield in front of you when they are expecting to be shield grabbed?

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
good find, although we're not exactly begging for more defensive options in brawl are we?

either way.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
Great; more reason for people to camp in their shields :urg: .

Hopefully we'll find some new offensive techs as well. Keep up the research.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
i told you i didn't think the gameplay was going to evolve in a fun way >_>;

metaknight might be able to do this into smash attacks, perhaps. Pit maybe too, I'm sure mario bros can do it into down smash, among many others.

this would be useful to marth, maybe to do down smash, but his up B outta shield is so good, that it benefits other characters like snake and ike and others with fast strong attacks more than it benefits marth.

Fonz

Smash Ace
interesting...so this only works with attacks that come out quickly, or can you do any attack out of it?
The laggier the move you've been hit with the more options you have I imagine. I wouldn't count on pulling off ike fsmash from shield drop terribly often.

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
Its minor, but minor details to the game are put for reasons. Glad to see how Sakurai and the team made changes, no matter how slight.

Zink

Smash Champion
it's cool guys, we still love M2K
even if he is a girlyman

Does this apply to special moves? And is the hitbox of the attacking move still active after it hits the shield?

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
If you weren't M2K, I'd say how this hardly deserves to be called a technique in almost any interpretation of the word.

But you're M2K, you could 4 stock me in melee in your sleep... in less than 30 seconds, so I'd hardly say my thoughts outweigh yours when it comes to deciding the value and category of tactics.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but isn't this called perfect shielding? I've seen the video of perfect shielding on Wi-fi wars youtube channel, and it looks just like what you're saying. Shield at just the right time, then counter attack.

Zek

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but isn't this called perfect shielding? I've seen the video of perfect shielding on Wi-fi wars youtube channel, and it looks just like what you're saying. Shield at just the right time, then counter attack.
No, this is just "instead of grabbing, try attacking!" He's just observing that Brawl's shield can be canceled quickly enough to retaliate without having to shieldgrab. It's a strategy, not a technique.

Can somebody upload a video of how quickly you can do this? Especially as Yoshi, his shieldgrab is useless.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Wait so.

Basically, I press my shield button.

Then, when I feel like it, I let go of my shield button?

... BRILLIANT!!!

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
If you weren't M2K, I'd say how this hardly deserves to be called a technique in almost any interpretation of the word.

But you're M2K, you could 4 stock me in melee in your sleep... in less than 30 seconds, so I'd hardly say my thoughts outweigh yours when it comes to deciding the value and category of tactics.
This post oozes of Pathetic. Are you serious bro?

Anyway, good stuff M2k. This certainly isn't a technique. It's just letting go of blocking and attacking. However, it's good that someone actually thought outside the Melee-Box and tried to do this.

This opens up a whole new set up mind games since people now cannot worry solely about shield grabbing.

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
i'm glad shielding/defense is getting buffed.

^ and yes this is a technique. it's not a mindgame.

anyone can make any little thing a technique, but if it's not "advanced" or interesting enough to some people, some people will pass it off as useless.

it may sound silly, but all these "insignificant" little things (plus those "advanced tricks") DO add up to make the player stand out from the rest.

sorry, i know you probably didn't think that... i'm just saying things...

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
No, this is just "instead of grabbing, try attacking!" He's just observing that Brawl's shield can be canceled quickly enough to retaliate without having to shieldgrab. It's a strategy, not a technique.

Can somebody upload a video of how quickly you can do this? Especially as Yoshi, his shieldgrab is useless.
Exactly. I never mentioned a shield grab before in my previous post. You said what I just did. Shield then attack afterwards with a bunch of options. So I would say that it kinda is a technique.

Looks just like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbMhYmSy6Y

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Dude I completely understand that it's a great strategy. It's just not a technique.

Letting go of block and attacking is a staple in every fighting game in existence. Less so in Melee and Smash 64 because of shield stun making throwing out of a shield one of the only viable options most of the time.

In summary = I appreciate this finding and think it's a big deal towards Brawl's progression, it just isn't a technique.

EDIT: That link isn't what M2K is talking about. That's parrying/PSing. M2K is just talk about attacking immediately after shielding something instead of falling into Melee habit and grabbing out of shield.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Dude I completely understand that it's a great strategy. It's just not a technique.

Letting go of block and attacking is a staple in every fighting game in existence. Less so in Melee and Smash 64 because of shield stun making throwing out of a shield one of the only viable options most of the time.

In summary = I appreciate this finding and think it's a big deal towards Brawl's progression, it just isn't a technique.

EDIT: That link isn't what M2K is talking about. That's parrying/PSing. M2K is just talk about attacking immediately after shielding something instead of falling into Melee habit and grabbing out of shield.
It's still the same idea, or similar pretty much. But whatever :p

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
sorry, buddy. sometimes i just get the impression that a lot of players are too into finding advanced techs (which is actually a good thing, the finding part that is) and fail to appreciate basic stuff. i was just ranting.

but yes, dropping the shield quickly is a change from melee and should be considered to figure out how to play the game well.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Everyone I've spoken with about Brawl has already noticed this... but it can't hurt to bring more attention to it.

I don't know about every Character-Specific forum, but Samus already has a thread about what to do after you "parry" someone in this manner (powershield-release).

Ulevo

Smash Master
sorry, buddy. sometimes i just get the impression that a lot of players are too into finding advanced techs (which is actually a good thing, the finding part that is) and fail to appreciate basic stuff. i was just ranting.

but yes, dropping the shield quickly is a change from melee and should be considered to figure out how to play the game well.
Well, every smash player had their advanced tech heaven known as melee fall from the sky and crash at their feet as soon as they found out the mechanics had changed dramatically with the release of the new game, and in order to fill the gap, are looking for things to make it interesting. What else do you expect when people can't wavedash around like mad or L-cancel their lags?

Either way, I think it would be best if people simply played the game for enjoyment and the competitive rush like always, rather than purposely going out of their way to look for things. Eventually people will discover techs on their own through circumstance and ideas, which will later form the new metagame. Devoting ones time to look for them now doesn't look like it will speed up Brawls evolution significantly.

On a more relevant point, I think this is an interesting find. This would probably help some of the slow characters with their reaction time.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
seeing all the famous smashers...actually interacting...it brings a tear to my eye. But yeah, I'm all for ANY AT that can be done without too much hassle. Some of the other stuff people are creating makes my eyes bleed at the thought of doing it "press L, and when luigi's mustache is at 35 degrees hit B+A and you will do a super attack..." <___________>
annnnnnyways...
(getting off-track)
Thanks M2K

lengeta

Smash Ace
I've already heard of this, and even watched a pretty well put together video demonstrating shield countering. Then, looking for this previous topic, I discovered this isn't mentioned in the sticky technique thread. Something should probably be done about that. This isn't a nice little trick, this is one of the driving foundations of the game, and a very important technique.

Top Bottom