• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attacks Imposing Trip

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Some attacks in the game have Trip imposing properties designed in them.

A few for the moment:

Falco: Shine: Falco does a kicking animation for his Shine. If you're close enough and the Kick animation connects with your opponent, your opponent Trips. Very useful. If you connect this on an opponent near the edge of a platform, it forces them to tech as they fall off. Doesn't work past 100%.

Falcon: Knee: A soft/non-sweetspotted Knee can impose Trip. This, coupled with the auto-cancel properties of his Knee deems it a bit useful.

Diddy: Banana

Lucas: D. Tilt

Ness: D. Tilt

There's many more, but that's off the top of my head.

-Syn

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I don't have a capture card. Don't believe me if you don't want to, lol. Someone else with the game will eventually come in here and confirm it.

-SynikaL

Ryan-K

Smash Master
The trip animation is wierd. I think I've seen someone get grabbed out of it once? (While sitting) I wonder if you can grab someone out of lying down in brawl hitboxes permitting. Either way I don't think you can tech a trip so that's pretty cool. Also a bunch of random dtilts force a trip like Lucas.

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
I've seen some Characters' Dtilts with trip properties, such as Lucas or Metaknight

SynikaL

Smash Lord
The trip animation is wierd. I think I've seen someone get grabbed out of it once? (While sitting) I wonder if you can grab someone out of lying down in brawl hitboxes permitting. Either way I don't think you can tech a trip so that's pretty cool. Also a bunch of random dtilts force a trip like Lucas.
I could've sworn I responded to this.

If you haven't figured it out by now, yes you can grab a person when they're sitting and you can tech a trip if you've fallen off a platform post-Trip.

-Syn

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Yeah if you wanna see a vid of this, GAwes and Kone made one. It should be around page 1-3, you should check it out its pretty interesting.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Could you give the time, please?

-Syn
Taken from here, he says it's around 2:12 although I've seen the trip on the earlier parts of the vid.

About the dtilt, there's a vid showcasing the character's tripping attacks, but he stated that he couldn't add some other characters (Wolf included) because of the video limit, but he did state that he has dtilt for tripping.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
The first hit of Snake's ftilt often causes tripping for me.

I strongly believe that whether a move trips is decided dynamically, based on how far/hard the move hits you, maybe with some randomization. I think all moves can cause tripping, some are just much more likely to. I'll test more.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Sweepings an amazing name. Seperates it from the random tripping.Tool.

Ed
LOL, you're the tool, thinking that every single mechanic you find needs some makeshift moniker. Just one of the many reasons the Smash community is the laughing stock of the Fighting Game Community as a whole. It's not like this is some type of exploit that was discovered through player ingenuity -- it was programed into the game.

You don't need a name to distinguish between random Tripping and an attack with Trip properties. The two scenarios are not synonymous and its just fvcking obvious. Ha ha, what a moron.

-Kye

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Why the hell would you call it "sweeping" why not the obvious "tripping". Stop making Smash more complicated for newer players than it already is. I remember when I started I had no idea what people meant by "teching" even though I'd been doing it since I was 10.

As for the list, I think every d-tilt might be able to trip the opponent? Kirby's d-tilt definitely does. My friend did it on a standing opponent trying to shield grab.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Great Find!
Okay now that we know that we can trip people with moves we need to find and list all the moves that can trip, including B moves because I suspect that moves like Sheik chain or Marth sword dance might be able to do the same.

Top Bottom