• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Light Bow: a Guide to Pit's Arrows v 1.1

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Stop, Pit! Before you proceed on your journey...

You must master the art of combat to gain your true wings,...

And defeat the God atop the mountain

Only then, you will be ready to master the Light Bow.

The Light Bow: a Guide to Pit's Arrows
This guide will show various situations and techniques to using the angles and directions of Pit's amazing projectile; Palutena's Arrow. The guide will use pictures of different angles or situations to use the arrow in that way and directions HOW to shoot the arrow.

Updates:
Feb 20~ v 1.1 Fixed up a few errors and things I forgot to mention, made it look better, added Table of Contents, Techniques, and Credits.
Feb 23~ Added a new target test video, update of stage one half a second faster.
Feb 26~ For a supplement reading with this guide, I recommend gammonwalker's guide which can be found here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147400

Contents:
I. Arrow Shots
A. Basic Arrow Shots
B. Intermediate Arrow Shots
C. Advanced Arrow Shots​
II. Strategies and Tips
III. Bonus Stuff
IV. Credits

I. Arrow Shots​
A. The Basic Arrow Shots

Straight Shot:

The basic arrow shot, simply press and release B to fire a straight forward arrow. Damage ranges from 5% to 11% with a full charge. With the "Stale-Move Negation" aka Diminishing attack, the uncharged arrow till do 2-3% and the full charged will do 5-6%. This shot is used for firing opponents straight in front of you on the ground or at low height.

Vertical Shot
Same as Straight Shot, except you hold up while pulling back on the arrow and you can shoot straight above where you are. The arrow can then be curved left or right, but I do not think Diagonal Shots can be used.

Upward Shot (No Delay)

This shot is an horizontal upward direction shot, used to hit opponents slightly far away who are either in the air or on platforms. This is the No Delay version of the shot, because the Arrow begins at an upward trajectory when released from the bow. To do so, push B to begin charging the arrow, then as you release B, push up on the control stick. If you push up too early, you will do the Vertical Shot.

Downward Shot (No Delay)

Similar to the upward shot, except with a downward trajectory. Push B to charge, then simultaneously release B and push down on the control stick.

B. The Intermediate Arrow Shots, aka Diagonal Shots
These arrow shots require that you hold a direction that is not completely North, South, East or West, but at a diagonal point, ie: a North-East direction. The directions must be input as your are releasing the arrow, so that you do not accidentally shoot Up, for example.

Slight Angle Upwards Shot

This Arrow direction sends the arrow upwards at a very slight angle. To do so, you hold the control stick in a middle direction between up and away from you when releasing the arrow. In the picture, it would be a North-East corner.

Uses:

Hitting at the Head

This can be used to hit an opponent at ground level who is perhaps shielding. In the picture, it shows the arrow making contact with the head of the opponent. With a deteriorating shield, this would hit the head of an opponent trying to block the attack. The picture does not show a shielding opponent because I only have two hands :)

Slight Angle Downwards Shot

Similar to the Slight Angle Upwards shot, except in a downwards trajectory. Performed by holding the control stick at a South-East direction in the picture.

Uses:

Hitting at the feet

Hits the feet of an opponent with a deteriorating shield depending on distance. This picture was taken before the contact, but it does indeed hit.

Straight-Up Close Shot

This shoots the arrow away from you with the arrow approaching a straight vertical trajectory. This is the closest an arrow can be and go straight up, without shooting the arrow directly above you. This is performed by holding the control stick in a direction diagonal between towards you and up. In the picture, it would be North-West.

Straight-Down Close Shot

Excellent for hitting people recovering under the stage on platform levels. As you can see, from the edge of the top platform, you can shoot the arrow directly into the area of the edge of the stage. Performed by holding control stick diagonally between towards you and down, in the picture it would be South-West.

Difference between Straight-Down Close and Downward shot points of contact:

The picture on top shows the point of contact of the Straight-Down Close Shot hitting exactly in the circle on the side of the base of Battlefield. The picture below it is a normal downward shot, only slightly away from the circle. The main difference is, the shot shown in the above picture can reach a vertical trajectory while the normal diagonal shot will only stay at a diagonal trajectory.

C. Advanced Arrow shots, aka Multi-Direction Input Shots

Under Platform Shot

This is a useful shot to hit someone who is either standing under the platform across from you, or someone who just got up from the edge or recovered. To perform this shot, you need an initial trajectory of a Straight-Down Close Shot. After the arrow is released, flick the control stick upwards to straighten out its path and hit below the platform.

II. Strategies and Tips

Arrow Recovery - When recovering with Pit after being knocked off the stage, you can use your arrows between jumps and maintain roughly the same vertical level. Use your arrows to attack your enemy who will be trying to edgeguard you to keep them away, or to knock them off from edgehogging so you can sweetspot that edge. (Special thanks to DEHF for using this in his videos, he's where I got this technique from)

III. Bonus Stuff:
Pit Arrows Only TARGET TEST!

Target Test 1: 9'70'' http://youtube.com/watch?v=oFf5M6tnP_c
Target Test 2:
Target Test 3:
Target Test 4:
Target Test 5:

IV. Credits and Thank You's:
GamerGuitarist7 - Starting and writing the guide.

Thank You to:
-Sora Ltd., Masahiro Sakurai for creating Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
-DEHF for being the first good Pit I saw, gave me ideas for arrow use.

Feel free to contribute if you want!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i recorded the video on my camera, just need to wait for my dad to get home so i can use his laptop to get it off the SD card since i dunno where the camera's USB thing is

edit/ changed this thread to a guide, the target test stuff is just bonus stuff at the bottom now. EPIC!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Yeah, they're a great projectile. I'm going to be adding more methods with them too so we'll have even more control over them.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
just read through my guide, got a lot of stuff that i need to fix. for some reason i completely forgot about aiming the bow up, so on the upwards shot you have to release B and THEN push up almost immediately afterwards. same with all other angled shots so far

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Excellent guide, thanks for this. Pits Arrows could end up being one of the most versatile moves in the game.

Nublet

Smash Rookie
woot good guide, but i have some questions.
1.so the direction the arrow goes is determined by the control stick BEFORE u release B?
2. what if u release B and then push up and towards you, would it take the path of the strait-up arrow but a little later?
3.do we have alot of time to control the arrow b4 it goes strait in 1 direction?
4. what're the mechanics of turning around?
5. how do u turn an arrow shot strait up? i saw an arrow go parallel to the ground after being shot strait up.

sorry for so many questions. i always thought that u aim the arrow (left/right/up) while holding B, release, then control where it goes.

do u think u can post up a video demonstrating?

thanks LOTS for posting about the mechanics of the arrows!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
updated the guide, added content and colors and stuff. tried to make it more organized.

woot good guide, but i have some questions.
1.so the direction the arrow goes is determined by the control stick BEFORE u release B?
Actually, that is something I forgot to do in the first version of the guide. I said To set the direction before releasing B, but that could make you shoot it straight up, so what you have to do (and i added this in there) is input the direction simultaneously to releasing B.
2. what if u release B and then push up and towards you, would it take the path of the strait-up arrow but a little later?
It'll do the close one if you input the direction as you release B. if you input it later, it should go straight up just a little further away from you.

3.do we have alot of time to control the arrow b4 it goes strait in 1 direction?
You can control the arrow until it hits someone or is just gone off the screen into the abyss.

4. what're the mechanics of turning around?
While charging the arrow, just tilt the control stick the other way. the same thing goes for shooting straight up.

5. how do u turn an arrow shot strait up? i saw an arrow go parallel to the ground after being shot strait up.
Is that in one of my pictures or in a video? Get back to me on that.

I will ONE DAY make a video guide if people really want it.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
lol arrow dash dancing. jk. i thought about writing about doing that in the guide but its pretty obvious and not very useful, though it is pretty cool that he won't shoot the arrow til you take too long to turn again.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This guide has taught me a lot. When brawl comes out, I'll be practicing with Pit's arrows and use them to my advantage. Maybe you can train me ingame someday. Thanks for the guide.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
I got a question. How many times can you change a single arrow's direction? In the guide it only showed the arrow change the direction twice (from the normally straight shot).

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
you mean after you shot it or while you're charging it?

after you shot it, you get entire control over it for a little while. you can change its direction as many times as fast as you can move your fingers, but its pretty useless to be honest lol. Really, you just want to curve it a little bit here or there to wrap around platforms or the such like in the one picture.

if you mean while you're charging it, you can turn left and right a LOT of times before he'll shoot the arrow.

Admiral Bowser- It'd be cool to try and do a wifi match and show you some stuff if you'd like, but you'll have to wait til i get the american copy of the game since my japanese wii was used and the internet access is passworded :(

Leonhart- If you want to buy me a capture card i can make a video lol. the videos i've been posting on youtube are recorded by hand on a camera and aren't much more then like 20 seconds long haha.

Waffle- Yes, the shine is TOO GOOD

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Thanks. Whenever we battle each other, you can show me (or you can show me with an ingame vid). Of course, we have to wait til American Brawl comes out, then you'd use me as target practice. :laugh:

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Hey i was just wondering if you could make some kind of chart. It would show the "dead zones" of his arrows, in other words, the places his arrows cannot go from a single position. You could shade in the possible areas or something. Just a suggestion, but it'd be really helpful.

Medori Red

Smash Rookie
This is truly amazing, thank you very much for putting up this guide. I knew Pit's arrows were versatile but I had no idea that they could be used for so many different situations. Thanks again for putting up this guide!

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet
Hey i was just wondering if you could make some kind of chart. It would show the "dead zones" of his arrows, in other words, the places his arrows cannot go from a single position. You could shade in the possible areas or something. Just a suggestion, but it'd be really helpful.
Yeh, if you could do arrow deadzones that would be great! Tho' it may be more helpful to non-Pit players than anyone; I'm still interested.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
make a vid guide with good quility lmao. i love this guide tho nice one

pit ftw!

nevershootme

Smash Master
What's fun to do is to curve your arrows over a partner (or opponent's) head and still land the target in front in front of him. All it takes is a rapid mashing of up and down to nail it correctly. I've done it a few times and it does well in teams.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Actually I did think of that. It doesn't sound that useless, as being able to curse your arrow over the head of someone expecting to be hit and will shield to get someone who's not expecting it at all seems pretty useful.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
you mean after you shot it or while you're charging it?

after you shot it, you get entire control over it for a little while. you can change its direction as many times as fast as you can move your fingers, but its pretty useless to be honest lol. Really, you just want to curve it a little bit here or there to wrap around platforms or the such like in the one picture.

if you mean while you're charging it, you can turn left and right a LOT of times before he'll shoot the arrow.

Admiral Bowser- It'd be cool to try and do a wifi match and show you some stuff if you'd like, but you'll have to wait til i get the american copy of the game since my japanese wii was used and the internet access is passworded :(

Leonhart- If you want to buy me a capture card i can make a video lol. the videos i've been posting on youtube are recorded by hand on a camera and aren't much more then like 20 seconds long haha.

Waffle- Yes, the shine is TOO GOOD
Why not just format the Wii to remove the password O_o?

sherigami

Smash Journeyman
For shame! You did not mention Pit's loop arrow! It is done by shooting an arrow straight, then after you shoot it you move the control stick in a circle, about one revolution per second. Though some question its usefulness, I have used it in a few fights to throw off my enemy.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. Is it possible to get the "perfect" hit-direction for one enemy? As example, he could stand or he will jump. I try to get such ankle so that the guy from the other edge has to worry about his next steps. Has someone a good tip for me?

Top Bottom