• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Weight Classes - backed by in-game data

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby's Star Shot (Neutral Special after Inhale), is a unique projectile in that the damage it can deal is based on how heavy the victim's weight is. By analyzing the damage each character does I've constructed a list of Weight Classes.

The list is organized from heaviest to lightest Weight Class, and then heaviest to lightest within the Class:

Very Heavy (18%)
Bowser (Koopa)
Donkey Kong
Dedede

Heavy (17%)
Samus
Charizard
Ganondorf
Snake

Medium-Heavy (16%)
Yoshi
Wario
Ike
Link
R.O.B.
Captain Falcon
Wolf

Medium (15%)
Mario
Lucario
Luigi
Ivysaur
Sonic

Medium-Light (14%)
Ice Climber
Pit
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Peach
Toon Link
Ness

Light-Weight (13%)
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik
Marth

Very Light-Weight (12%)
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Squirtle

Feather-Weight (11% or less)
(11%) Mr. Game & Watch
( 9% ) Jigglypuff (Purin)

Edit:
To clarify, damage done to the victim who is Inhaled and shot out is 10%. The damage the Victim deals as a projectile is based on their weight. Heavier characters create heavier projectiles which deal more damage.

Update:
Characters rearranged within the Classes to reflect their specific weights.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Good thinking! I like these results a lot more than "knocking an opponent OoB from the middle of FD with Mario's Side-Smash."

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I remember someone else did a test on weight classes with a different method involving Mario, but yeah, its interesting to see that Toon Link is heavier than Marth.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wouldn't Falco be lighter than Fox since he's a bird?

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see Marth as being light. He seems pretty overpowered right now compared to most of the other characters.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
very nice find, i never knew that kirbys star shoot does differ damage but it makes sense. its interesting that marth is lighter than like ness

J0™

Smash Apprentice
Great Find! Mr. Game & Watch is uber light!
He always was.
In melee, the only char who is lighter then G&W is Pichu.

Anyway, nice list, the gap between Fox's and Wolf's weight doesn't make sense though (but I guess they did that to balance em out)

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea, I'm not too sure the creators had it in their heads that the animal kingdom rules apply to smash (birds and foxes), or that fox and falco were both fast fallers in melee.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Do these percentages also apply to Dedede and his star spit?

-Ran

Smash Master
Marth is light now?
Marth was Lightish in Melee.

Weight Listing from Gamefaqs said:
Smash Brothers Melee:
#012 - Pichu
#019 - Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch
#029 - Kirby
#032 - Fox
#033 - Pikachu, Falco
#035 - Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy
#038 - Marth
#039 - Popo, Nana
#042 - Peach, Zelda, Sheik
#045 - Ness
#048 - Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario
#052 - Link, Captain Falcon
#054 - Yoshi
#055 - Ganondorf
#056 - Samus
#059 - Donkey Kong
#061 - Bowser

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
Please re-read the content. Heavier characters deal more damage. The Star Shot always deals 10% to the one being shot.
I got that from your OP as well. Maybe it isn't his problem ?

Kirby's Star Shot (Neutral Special after Inhale), is a unique projectile in that the damage it can deal is based on how heavy the victim's weight is. By analyzing the damage each character does I've constructed a list of Weight Classes.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Nice find, OP. I'd never have thought of such a method of measuring, and it seems it'd be rather reliable.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby's Star Shot (Neutral Special after Inhale), is a unique projectile in that the damage it can deal is based on how heavy the victim's weight is.
There was nothing wrong, gramatically or structurally, with how I worded my sentence. In this sentence I'm referring to Kirby's Star Shot (a projectile) dealing damage (as a projectile) based on the victim's weight. But I can see how someone can assume I'm referring to the inherent damage the victim takes (non-projectile damage). I've added a clarification to my post to straighten this out.

(I'll be testing out King Dedede's Star Shot today)

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol, I didn't understand what the percentages meant until I read that they were shot out to hit enemies.

Anyway, thanks for the list ^^ if Mewtwo will be in Brawl it should at least be Heavy. It can't be leighter than Charizard... >_>

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
Density =/= weight

Otherwise, iron ships wouldn't float.

Density is the ratio between weight and volume- what he said about Captain Falcon was correct. In order for two things of different size to have the same weight, the smaller must have a higher density

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
It seems like Mario is average in everything. I mean like he doesn't really stand out anywhere and he isn't horrible at anything. In the list of weight classes, he has medium weight.

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
LOL I like how Peach is medium-light and Zelda is light

PEACH YOU ****ING FATTY!

Top Bottom