• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hiro's OFFICIAL Diddy guide/impressions/strategies (verison 1.2) (updated 3/13))

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
Version 1.2

HIS POPGUN FVCKING SUCKS!!!!! DONT USE IT!!!!!

use his aerials.
use his smashes.
use his bananas.
use his mindgames.
use his side+b.
use his fully charged up+b.
use his tilts.

thats all you have to do to own with diddy

OK, BUT SERIOUSLY NOW. i have been able to play with diddy a lot more now. he has a promising future. on to more important stuff.

This is the beginning of my diddy guide. I will most likely polish it up and reorganize things as i get more into this and more indepth with all his moves.

Contents:
I)Intro:
a)updates
II)Moveset:
a) a moves
1)tilts
2)smashes
b)aerials
c)specials(b moves)
d)grabs
III)Techniques/combos/advanced tactics/properties of moves
IV)Vids Section

ANYTHING IN RED IS BECAUSE I WANTED IT TO STAND OUT FOR WHATEVER REASON.

I. INTRO:

OK, BUT SERIOUSLY NOW. i have been able to play with diddy a lot more now. he has a promising future. on to more important stuff.

This is the beginning of my diddy guide. I will most likely polish it up and reorganize things as i get more into this and more indepth with all his moves.

Diddy is a speedy, combo'ey character. some nice aerials, interesting b moves, and useful standard a moves. Representing the Donkey Kong franchise, he is the inverse of DK. So those looking for a DK rep but without having to play as a big sluggish guy, Diddy's your guy. Also, if playing tricky is your style, look no further.

Updates from new versions:
3/13:
added side+b various uses to techniques section
updated rocket spiking info.
updated popgun info

II. MOVESET

A attacks:

a attack: his normal a attack and standard combo are pretty good to try on a sheilding opponent. just press a once and hold it and he will hit twice and then start wagging his tail. pretty useful.

dash attack: Ofcourse, it's the cartwheel. What else could it have been lol? it knocks them a bit up and a bit in front of you. You can pick up your bananas while cartwheeling over them. Also, after they slip on the banana, follwing their tech with a dash attack is pretty cool.

TILTS:

ftilt: pushes his two hands forward. decent knockbock and range. good move for spacing.

utilt: one of his better moves. good setup for aerial combos.

dtilt: not really tat usefukl to be honest. For the most part, your oppnet will be to far or in the air for too long so the dtilt is pretty useless. maybe at the egde?

SMASHES:

fsmash: pretty cool looking multi hit where he flings his arms around in a 360 type of movement. A KO move.

dsmash: its very similar to mario's. he holds himself up with his arms and spins his legs around under him. Pretty decent knockback.

usmash: this moves looks really cool and is another multihit smash. But it cant really KO, for a smash they dont go that far, BUT its a good setup for combos at the right percent.

AERIALS:

neutral: he does a flying cartwheel basically. doesnt really have much knockback. its priority is kinda weak. but it's a good move when you want to hit them in the air but dont really know what they are going to come at you with.

fair: i'd say this is his bast aerial. good reach, he extends his legs out. good knockback. a KO move at higher percents.

bair: a good move. but can be tricky to connect with cuz of its short hitbox. you have to be pretty close to connect and has a pretty precise timing as well. A good move if you can connect.

uair: very combo friendly aerial. you can usually connect atleast two together. utilts like to lead right into this.

dair: DIDDY HAS A SPIKE!!! this is good news. diddy's dair spikes. they go FLYING down when you connect. kinda tricky timing as there is a delay, but with enough practice, this will become one of his clutch moves.

SPECIALS:

neutral b: his popgun sucks. i really havent found any use for it. i try spamming it like falco's shl but that doesnt really work. if you push b fast, the peanut goes in a very high arc, completely avoiding your opponent. as you hold it, he gradually lowers the popgun, becoming more parallel to the stage. this takes too long though, and when it connects, it does like 2-4% damage and no knockback and barely any stun. I've heard possible usages though. for instance, stopping spacies out of their side b's. I have yet to test this.
UPDATE: Ok, so peanuts can control bigger characters moderately well. People like dedede and bowser, others as well. people who like to come in from an aerial are risking running into the high arcing peanuts.
Also, if you shoot the gun while facing away from the stage, it will push you a little bit toward the stage.

up+b: his rocket barrel is pretty cool. when you far off the stage, charging it up completely, can get back you back from pretty far. If you get while charging you lose the barrels and plummit to your death. when recovering close to the edge, you must be careful for if you angle to close to the stage, you could blow up your barrels and will die instead. Possible offensive move as well. combo them into the air and follow them with the barrels. i actually, think i found an advanced, really cool way to use this move as a spike/edgegaurd. its pretty cool. i am going to try and perfect it, and post vids.

side+b
: a good recovery move. you can sweetspot edge with this. when recovering high. you should use this to get a lot closer without using your jumps or up+b. Offensively, its pretty cool. you can grab someone out of the lunge with the right timing, and then hit them and bounce off, or if you press jump, he spikes them down and jumps off higher then if you just hit them. You can press a or b during the side lunge and do a kung fu kick with decent priority. It's not that strong though.

down+b: bananas. this is, IMHO, diddy's BEST move. i completely and honestly believe, that his metagame will revolve around the banana. diddy has some problems getting in on opponents sometimes, and the bananas help immensely in that department. You can pick up two at a time. You can throw them and reuse them, until they disappear. Becareful though, if your opponent picks them up, they can throw it right back, and now your the one slipping around. I will make a whole section on banana tactics later on.

GRABS:

dthrow: he just bounces them off the floor. possible aerial after this throw, depending on percent and DI.

fthrow: a basic forward throw.

bthrow: a basic backward throw.

uthrow: basic upward throw.

III. Techniques/combos/advanced tactics/properties of moves:

Here I am just going to point out little tricks and tips that i find.

-This is pretty common knowledge at this point, but you can usmash directly out of your dash. Simply dash, and when your ready to attack, smash up on your c-stick. he'll go right into the smash. You are effectively giving diddy two different dash attacks by doing this.

- Also, pretty much common knowledge at this point, mentioned by another forum member i can't recall, a little trick is to roll back just as you pluck your banana. You'll land with the banana right at your feet.

-A little mindgamey thing I like to do is just run towards them, when you about to get in front of them, short hop up and DI a bit back. They might dodge and try and jump or something, wait for an animation, and then try to connect with your fair after the lag of whatever they do.

-Rocket spiking/rocket gaurding: I am dubbing these moves the rocket spike and rocketguard. I am still experimenting, but I think i found a pretty freaking cool advanced tech. While I was recovering a couple of times, my opponent would try and jump out and get me. While I released my up+b they would go flying down and I would grab the ledge. It's happened a couple of times already. I want to control this. What I've been trying is as they are recovering, i'd jump out real quick, and while I'm still close to the ledge, I'll up+b back towards the stage. Ofcourse, you have to time your up+b so that your opponent is right next to you when you do it. Remember, your trying to hit them with it right as you start the move. I grab the ledge, while they go plummeting down to their death. I have to practice this against different characters though.
UPDATE: Confirmed that they have to be UNDER your barrels to spike them.

Side+b: ok, so this move is to good. Tis is the diddy hump. Very versatile. You can obviously grab onto them and bounce off of them spiking them down. Knowing this, the next logical step would be to use it as an edgegaurd. While they are off the stage, latch onto them, and press the jump button pushing them down ad giving you enough time to recover. You can use it to aid recovery as well. Whenever you get knoeck back, just side b so you can gain some precious distance. Finally make sure you make use of its quick second attack. simply pess an attack button while lunging to do a flying kung fu kick with decent priority.

Bananas:

Basics/Properties:These things are amazing. I believe these will be at the core of ANY pro diddy's gameplay. They are just too good. You can pick two at a time. When you throw them, you can cause knockback on your opponent. Once they are on the floor, your opponent will slip on them. I like having two bananas on the stage at once and alternating grabbing the two bananas and chucking them at your opponent.

Banana combos:
Practice with basic stuff like throw the banana, hit them, run towards them and cartwheel, pick up the banana while you cartwheel(its automatic), and throw the banana again.

The main thing with the bananas is tech chasing. After you connect, you have to try and follow up. For instance, banana throw, hit them, they roll away, and now as their finish their roll, you can techchase with a grab, with a dcusmash (Dash Canceled Up Smash), with a dash attack, with another smash, with a properly timed dair for combos, with another banana if the situation allows it, etc.

banana guarding: as your opponent is recovering, throw bananas down at them to try and mess up their recovery.

other uses: Just another tidbit. Bananas are also cool, because there is always the chance that your opponent will slip into the banana again. This is because when your opponent slips, the banana goes shooting out from under them, if they roll into it, they can slip again. When you add two bananas into the mix, you can really lock up their options and put a lot of pressure on them.

IV. VIDEO:

My "diddy vids" thread
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3819526#post3819526

This is my diddy video section. I will use this section to show you what I'm talking about.
Also, by clicking the main link to my "diddy vids" thread, you will have access to many random diddy vids. The link is going to focus more on my personal diddy vids though.

well, stay tuned, for newer versions and updates.

...peace

-hiro

paOol

Smash Apprentice
how do you attack people with your up b?
do you chargei t while on the ground and aim slightly left or right and hope it blows up when they attack you? or do you launch into them?

GOTM

Smash Champion
sounds like everything about diddy is great!

so, there's NO use for the popgun? none at all?
if you hang around here long enough you'll soon realize that everyone hates the popgun, EXCEPT ME, lol.

ive posted on plenty of uses of it around here though. look around. its a good move

GOTM

Smash Champion
yea. i saw that u said it's good for stopping the space animal's illusions. does it stop ike and metaknight's sideB moves?
not sure about meta knight, havent tried

for ikes sideB the best thing to do is just sheild grab it, or ledgehog. if you ledghog ikes sideB when they're tryin to sweetspot, they're dead, so...i havent tried it yet but i'll let u guys know

h1roshi

Smash Hero
IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!! i finally made the 1st version of my guide. I hope you guys like it. and this is only from playing 1v1;s for like 8-9 hours straight at my friends house. Imagine when i get the game to myself in my own home. anyways, this is my official guide, that i wanted to make. enjoy, and please dont let it get to waste.

anyway this could get stickied?...peace

-hiro

-Dixi_

Smash Cadet
The other day I spiked with the u.b.. snake was u.b'ing back onto the stage at mid percent. i did fB onto them then hit up... then I fell with them and when he tried to uB again i hit my uB and it spiked him.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
The other day I spiked with the u.b.. snake was u.b'ing back onto the stage at mid percent. i did fB onto them then hit up... then I fell with them and when he tried to uB again i hit my uB and it spiked him.
good to see it working on some other characters.

Good guide.
thnx.

come to my guide for questions and ill answer?

also the offical page

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144415
will do. the more diddy info the better.

good guides, both of u guys. thx for the info
thank you as well...peace

-hiro

Yomi

Smash Cadet
I wish this guide were stickied. Reading sentences with punctuation in the right places is sooooo nice. Good guide. Diddy is super fun.

One question. Does an attack lose power every time you use it, or every time you hit some one with it?

Raistlin

Smash Lord
The rocketguarding sounds like Marth's reverse up-B edgeguard. Good **** Hiroshi. I don't even have the game yet, I got a lot of ****in' catching up to do, lol

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Thanks for the guide. I was messing around with Diddy in training mode yesterday, and I was pretty much doing all of this except using his kung fu jump as a spike, and the bananas. I really have to work on the banana thing when I get home

The one thing I wanted to add was that the longer you charge the peanut gun, besides obviously straightening out, also does more damage. When its close to fully charged, the peanut actually does between 14-17% damage, and has a slight knockback effect on the person it hits. An easy way to tell is when diddy puts his free hand on top of his hat, you know you're almost fully charged. Since the charged is a good bit of time, i still havn't figured out a viable use besides shooting someone as they are coming back with a full charge.

Well, hope that tidbit of info helps the other diddy players. I'm usually not the one to make a guide, especially here where I have 0 credibility and like 2 posts, but if I find anything else out about him Ill just put it in an existing guide

dan smith

Smash Champion
Popgun is good against campers, Snake, Samus, etc, it does for Diddy what Yoshi's eggs does for him. I've also had a good time using it as a combo piece. I.E. if somebody is attacking me with a low aerial attack I'll pop a peanut and then follow it with aerials. It's the first hit of the combo, and it's high initial angle can force your enemy to come in low.

Also, if you shoot it away from the stage when you're recovering, I'm pretty sure it'll knock you towards the stage a little. Slightly useful.

This guide is good. Maybe throw in a section about Diddy Humping. (Forward B + Jump off stage to spike)

Forward B is also simply great, good recovery move, a grab, a spike, you can kick you can hump...so many options, so much range, so fast.

I'm interested in seeing which one of his throws ends up being the best, I authomatically down throw...but I really don't have a good feeling for the rest though. They all seem pretty similar?

pesticide

Smash Lord
i found a use for the popgun!

if a fox, falco, wolf, etc are spamming lazers, then u can shoot their laser's w/ the peanuts from the popgun, and they crack into peanuts that u can eat!

ive done it a few times when they're spamming the lazer, then just crawl under the shots and grab them to recover some health. works pretty good most of the time.

xlethalxicex

Smash Cadet
i've been fooling around with diddy. definitly going to main him though.
he is a beast, hands down. come to atl, hopefully when wes gets back we will be having some local tournaments.

xlethalxicex

Smash Cadet
i've been playing with friends. i don't have a wii nor brawl.
but i will write it down and next time i am at my friend's i'll get on and play you for sure.
i haven't played online yet, do you experience any lag or anything?

by ALT diddy did you mean ATL?
are you going to FR?

h1roshi

Smash Hero
tru, diddy is my secondary now so iam putting my attention into kirby mainly nw. i will be adding a banana tutorial video guide for you guys though. and probably elaborate on diddy's side+b. i am EXTREMELY busy though. i am so busy, that i have brwl still shrinked wrapped on my desk at home since the midnight release.

-hiro

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
how do you attack people with your up b?
do you chargei t while on the ground and aim slightly left or right and hope it blows up when they attack you? or do you launch into them?
if your above the opponent in mid air the blast from the barrels will spike him. its quite usefull if perfected

Top Bottom