• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glitched Dash Attack

Repyh

Smash Journeyman
So hear this

We just so happened to check out the items in Brawl and I was playing Snake...
Pretty normal so far.

But then this happened:

I used a dash attack while a cracker launcher was in the way.

The result: Snake sliding over the ground (with his dash attack speed) but still standing up because the cracker launcher does not allow its user to do anything else then holding it and walking with it.

Let me hear your thoughts about this ^^

UPDATE:

We now know that this works with items AND it can be cancelled with a smash attack (only U-smash is confirmed) for the same sliding effect.

Here are some vids of the snake slide

Clicky

Clicky 2

Clicky 3

UPDATE 2:

Suggestion Bawx opened!

Name the dash attack slide thingy:

- Snake Slide
- Hawking hole
- Snaking
- Snakedash
- Mortardash
- Solid slide

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
I'll test it when I play later today, but I highly doubt anything will come of it. No character-spawned items that I know of cause an effect similar to the cracker launcher as far as changing the way the character holding it moves.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I had this happen in a match today with items off, it happened with Snake's upsmash. He just slid across the ground really fast into his Upsmash. He started about middle of FD and ending up right next to the ledge.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
That's just canceling a dash with an upsmash. All you have to do for that is dash and then while dashing flick the C-stick up. Some people call it Hyphen smashing or something, but whatever.

As far as I've seen, this done not happen with character-spawned items. I've done that to pick up grenades, gyroscope, bananas, and turnips with no special effects.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
That's not really what my friend did. It was much faster than Snake's dash and it slid him effing far after pressing the upsmash. We haz video, post later.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Hey, this is the Snake player Ademisk is talking about. I'm pretty sure whatever happened to me was caused by whatever happened to Repyh. First, watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObVM9tO5cgY

I went over the recording frame by frame, and what appears to happen is after I land is this: I dash, and go into a dash attack about 2 frames in. About 4 frames into the dash attack, I perform an upsmash, producing the results you see in the video. I haven't attempted to recreate it yet, but when I do I'll post what I find.

EDIT: Link fix'd.

Dudechapguyman

Smash Cadet
That's really interesting. Could you test if it works with any other attacks? We might finally have a decent way of landing Snake's forward smash.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
:upsidedown:

That single maneuver may be the sweetest thing that I've seen in Brawl so far.

Like DudeChap said, we need someone to test it out with other attacks too.

Anti-

Smash Rookie
Also you should try to see if it makes snake go all the way across the stage, and if you can somehow fall off the stage with it, since you could be able to cancel the dash attack with a jab and then ledgegrab.
I cant wait to see where this goes, its Samus's superwavedash all over again.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
No luck replicating the glitch yet. However, I noticed that you can tap forward before you completely recover from landing lag, and you will dash once you do just by keeping it held. I think this might have something to do with it, but I can't be sure yet. If anyone can help me figure this out, that would be awesome.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Our group has had this maneuver occur twice so far and we have no idea how to replicate it.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
This maybe be something similar to Samus' superwavedash where it takes perfect timing to do. Hopefully someone can discover how to consistently do it because it could be a very useful technique.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Another instance of it happening here.

And it seems it can be consistently done: watch

However, can any other smashes be done out of it and can it be done consistently without having to make contact with the dash attack? Could some one with the game test this out?

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Aaaaaahhh....that technique is sooo cool (and it looks really useful to boot!). This will make Snake a more effective main for me...

A2xA

Smash Cadet
Another instance of it happening here.

And it seems it can be consistently done: watch

However, can any other smashes be done out of it and can it be done consistently without having to make contact with the dash attack? Could some one with the game test this out?
if I had to choose to do a smash attack out of it, it would be that one. Just dash to the end of the stage and do that, it looks like it dosen't fail towards the end of the stage. This is good for combos and other things. I don't have brawl so I can't test it though.

Repyh

Smash Journeyman
So what Meteor showed is right.

But we need some more testing. If the U-Smash could be replaced with a ftilt... that would be pretty awesome too.

And thanks to everyone who posted vids

Potential potential...
More vids to come

Ademisk

Smash Champion
The cool thing about ours is that it proves you don't have to hit with the dash attack, in fact, you can do the upsmash immediately after starting the dash attack.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I believe Ademisk's occurrence is completely different from the "consistently-performed" maneuver that can be seen in Virgiljus' videos.

We still need to pin-point exactly what must be done to execute a non-hit dash attack sliding smash (looonngg name).

Just a thought though =)

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I did some more testing. It's REALLY easy to perform the glitch when you hit something(doesn't have to be the opponent), but for some reason it only seems to work with Usmash. Basically you hit something with the beginning part of your dash attack and flick the c-stick up right when you connect. I can see this being useful against characters who have hittable projectiles(Dedede).

Still haven't replicated it without hitting something.

EDIT: I don't think anyone else will be able to do it. I think that it might be caused by Snake's unique dash attack and Usmash.

ZeronX

Smash Cadet
oh bummer... was hoping it'd be a unique snake technique..oh wells
how are falco's and wario's compared to snake's in terms of effectiveness and practical use?? i don't know what either's Usmashes are.. hehe

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Falco's might be more useful, seeing as his Usmash is a flash kick. Snake's is a mortar, so it's probably good for getting away and stalling the other guy, unless you waveslide from a hittable projectile to a large character and hitting him with the explosive.

CurryLad

Smash Cadet
when you use the up smash, can you use the c-stick or do you have to do up smash a?

for wario and falco you probably dont slide as far. if you charge the up smash a bit it can be very useful.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
You have to use the c-stick. Wario and Falco don't slide hardly at all, but they combo the two attacks together much better.

Top Bottom