• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Updated impressions of PT, my new main!

I.T.P

Smash Ace
after all of my demo time almost a third of which was spent with PT, but I never posted any summarized impressions because I was allways busy and didn't have time for it. I also got to play a pirated JP brawl for 2 days this week, and will be playing again tommorow.

here are updated impressions of all pokemon, and my intakes on them:

Squirtle - BEST POKEMON EVER IN SSB!

he has a monstrous Fair and Bair, they're fast as hell, do 10-13% damage, and enough knockback to be perfect for combos. he's so fast it's not funny, and he slides into a fast walk when landing with these, which leads to the following combo possibilities.

SH Fair -> SH Fair -> Fsmash/Dsmash.
Grab Fthrow -> Full Jump Fair - 2nd Jump Fair, Fast Fall, Full jump Fair.

these things all work perfectly, and they work with his Bair as well, and it all links so fluidly it's scary, he can grab out of them using his excellent dashing shield grab, which I'll explain in a second, and his forward and back throws bring them just high enough for full jump edge guards.

a new mechanic/Advanced Technique in brawl, is the fact a character can slide while shielding for an ok distance if you press and hold shield while running, you can shield grab from this and get a moving grab with a moving hitbox, squirtle's version of this slides MUCH further than most characters' and it is twice as usefull. against a camping peach you can grab her out of an Fsmash using this method.

hi Uair and Nair are pretty good, but they could be better, and are a bit laggy. his Dair is like Marios tornado, and has a strong finish.

his Neutral B takes little Time to Charge, and is good in disalligning the enemy, but that's basically it, no damage. and with the new recoveries, stopping someone in the air with it is very hard. It doesn't even destroy Targets in BTT.

his Forward B is god! Invulnerability for all the move, you can stop it with back or continue it with forward as much as you want, it does 5-8% damage, and it's an anti camping move. my friend somehow flipped me, we think it might be from jumping on squirtle's Forward B, this is still unknown. be warned that some attacks reflect him while he's doing this, and this can be dangerous if your planning is bad.

his Up B is much better than I originally thought, it's a great recovery and racks up some good damage, and the ending part is a decent knock back.

Ivysaur: a slow camping range monster.

Ivysaur's game is all about Camping and predicting, his Fair is similiar to DDD's and Ike's, in that it takes time to come out, but when hit sends enemies to oblivion. his Bair is fast and annoying(to the opponent), but doesn't do much knockback or damage. his Ftilt is a definite "stay away" move, with decent knockback. and so is his jab combo.

his grab range is somewhere between lucas and link-samus, and it's very usefull for shield dash grabbing, his back throw and forward throw are both great and they're a good setup for edge guarding with a timed Fair.

his Fsmash has great range which will surprise your enemy and send him to hell, his Usmash has lots of start up lag, but a huge disjointed hitbox, that goes a bit left and right as well, and it's one of the strongest killing smash attacks in the game.

his Dsmash is the black sheep, too short and range is lacking. power is much less than his Usmash and Fsmash.

his Forward B is great stuff! very spammable and goes a good distance, disturbs even more than Falco's laser, and does 5-8% of damage. it also curves a bit, and goes a boomerang like motion. I'm sure you can control the curve, but not sure how.

his Up B has much better range than most tethers I've seen, and its instant. the possibility of getting edge hogged on this is very low.

his neutral B is something I didn't use much, but I heard it can pack quite a punch damage wise, so I'm not passing a verdict on this.

his Uair sends to hell and is very quick, but pulls you down out of self knockback. his Dair is exactly the same, and when well timed is the strongest spike I've seen.

his Side dodge looks so cute!

he's pretty slow on the ground, but his campability is enough to slaughter most enemies.

Charizard: I'm a survivor!

Charizard is so heavy it's not funny, I survived a peach until 255% using DIs. his ground and air movements are quick, his Fair is godlike in range and pushes the enemy back, Ideal for edge guarding.

his neck gives him a very long grab range, and his Bthrow is very good, and sets you up for the Fair edge guard. his flamethrower can be moved up and down, and racks up damage beautifully if done correctly.

his Forward B didn't seem very usefull, but I'll have to try the new method I read in a thread here, so more on that tommorow or the day after.

his up B does good knock back, and goes pretty far, but it's not very horizontial, infact nothing in his moveset except the glide is good for horizontial recovery, so make sure you use that if you need to go far.

his Usmash is pretty annoying to hit with , but kills easily if used correctly, his Bair,Dair nad Uair are all slow but powerfull kill moves, which need to be played smartly. his Nair is pretty decent and has a wide range and useability.

his Dsmash is very strong, but the hitbox works against you as well, so plan ahead.

overall charizard is the worst of the three, but he survives soo long, and his kill moves are ridiculously powerfull, so he's a good choice to switch to when you're over 100% with Ivysaur, and if you're killed as him, you go back to squirtle.

that's my 2 cents, if you have any questions I'll answer them with pleasure. I also hope to get some new vids of me tommorow, so I can demonstrate squirtles godlike dashing shieldgrab

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I'm sorry for not enough Utilt and D/U throw info, I have been in the habit of never using these for no actual reason, it's just the way I play, with all characters.

If any of these are big, please tell me.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Thanks I.T.P! I've been planning on maining PT since the start and your info made him even better. I could of sworn you were planning on maining Ike..what made you change your mind?

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Thanks I.T.P! I've been planning on maining PT since the start and your info made him even better. I could of sworn you were planning on maining Ike..what made you change your mind?
I was planning to main Ike, Squirtle's amazingly fluid gameplay changed my mind, and so did DeDeDe's chain grab, and Lucas' all around goodness

and Peach's new suckiness made me dump her, she's not fun in my playstyle anymore.

so my brawl main is PT, with Ike,DDD and Lucas as seconds.

from time to time I play Zelda and Olimar as well. Zelda is easily the character that got buffed the most out of the veterans.

Shnozzbery

Smash Rookie
PT is better than I thought he would be, but is there any indicator on screen showing when your pokemon is running low on stamina and need to be switched?...usually I just play til i see squirtle wheezing for air then switch him out unfortunately =P

I.T.P

Smash Ace
PT is better than I thought he would be, but is there any indicator on screen showing when your pokemon is running low on stamina and need to be switched?...usually I just play til i see squirtle wheezing for air then switch him out unfortunately =P
except the stance, I don't think there's any indication.

did anyone else notice fatigue is not so big? I can continue jumping around Fairing and Bairing with a fatigued squirtle and I barely notice a diffrence. can someone that has his own copy test the effects of it ?

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
Nice impressions. I think they made Charizard the "worst" of the three (though not bad) to balance out how incredibly cool he is.

FatJared

Smash Rookie
I am planning on maining PT as well but I disagree on you saying that Char is the worst. In all actuallity I would have to say that Ivy is the worst. His return is stupid, and yea he is ranged, but his hit boxes are to horrible and his return is to bad to make him better than charizard who has (out of the 3) the longest survivul, most KO attacks, and most variety of attacks. If char gets pulled off right he is soooo deadly. But it is quite obvious that the little ninja turtle is the best lulz. On that every PT that is semi good will agree on.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Squirtle isn't as great as he is being made out to be. He's cool, but he has a lot of issues.

For example: He does have great priority on bair and fair, but then those are also his main KO moves, seeing how his other one (upsmash) is hard to land on anyone good (also his dthrow kills at about 150% or something). Which means their knockback will almost always have diminished, in keeping with how most people tend to approach with Squirtle, by the time the opponent's percentage is high enough for you to attempt the kill. His other obvious flaw is his weight.

I'm not saying he's bad, on the contrary, I love Squirtle. I was just annoyed I guess at how people think the consensus on which Pokemon is best has already been reached. Charizard and Ivysaur have just as much weight in the discussion as Squirtle does.

Card

Smash Lord
I'm not saying he's bad, on the contrary, I love Squirtle. I was just annoyed I guess at how people think the consensus on which Pokemon is best has already been reached. Charizard and Ivysaur have just as much weight in the discussion as Squirtle does.
QFT; It's pure situational. It's all about using the proper Pokemon, who has the upper advantage, for the most amount of time during the course of a single match. It's also about using the proper Pokemon to cover for the weakness of the others.

Let's just all agree that the real best player is the Trainer himself! What other character can win the fight just by standing on the side lines, am I right? :laugh: P. Trainer is just that awesome.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
well in one battle i noticed that even when my opponent was in high %, the fsmash of squirts seemed todo noticeably less knockback.... and after soome seconds i noticed h was fatigued, so this really influcts in their performance.

squirts is a real ninja, i like him a lot,... but of the 3 my fav is charizard....

i dont know why, everytime i see him coming out of the pokeball, i feel i can destroy the whole stage :D

FatJared

Smash Rookie
Pope: If your dumb enough to not switch to Ivy/Charizard if your KO's aint working or if hes fatigued. PT works like, Fatigued=Change Pokemon, KO not working=switch Pokemon, and save your down throw OBV use your other throws and wait for the 150% percent to down throw.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
you're dumb if you don't see that your point is exactly the one he already made, that you can't just rely on squirtle alone

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Pope: If your dumb enough to not switch to Ivy/Charizard if your KO's aint working or if hes fatigued. PT works like, Fatigued=Change Pokemon, KO not working=switch Pokemon, and save your down throw OBV use your other throws and wait for the 150% percent to down throw.
So you interpreted my argument in such a way as a third-grader would? Big deal, anyone could have done that, a third-grader could have done that.

I didn't even mention anything about fatigue or maining one pokemon.

your dum

FatJared

Smash Rookie
So you interpreted my argument in such a way as a third-grader would? Big deal, anyone could have done that, a third-grader could have done that.

I didn't even mention anything about fatigue or maining one pokemon.

your dum
I was making the point of every bad thing you said about PT is either invalid or can be easily nulled

your dumb

Top Bottom