• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar observations

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
While playing brawl I've spent extensive time checking out olimar. here are some things i've noticed that no one has said yet.

general pikmin observations

Leaf/bud/flower do nothing to add damage. pikmin throw or smash attacks. maybe pikmin durability?

White- 8% fully charged Fsmash. Best for throwing.
Seems the weakest of all pikmin and dies in one attack almost always.

Purple- 18% on fully charge Fsmash
most durable and least likely to die from attacks.
most knock back a bit better then yellow.

Yellow- 18% on fully charge Fsmash.
Best for general A moves.
immune to electric attacks! pikachu beware!

Red- 16% on fully charged Fsmash
Immune to fire attacks

Blue 15% on fully charged Fsmash.
immune to water attacks! squirtle beware!

the only pikmin that can swim! the others helplessly sink to the bottom on levels with water. (which are quite numerous and fun! toon link boat ftw) whistle to save the the others.

---Grabs---
Olimars grab range is huge! (except with purple pikmin boo!) quick and deceptive.

He orders a pikmin to rush out and grab you pulling you back in. Olimar watches as the pikmin body slams, pile drives and flings the opponent. what a lazy jerk.

his grab range is a bit better then yoshi's but it has no start up lag or punishable whiff lag so you know...its GOOD. if you do whiff you don't have to wait for the pikmin to come back all the way to start shielding or moving.

there is no real way to see that olimar is grabbing ether. those pikmin provide some really nice cover! the only audible cue is a tiny *woosh* windy sound which is not very different then other similar sounds.

suffice to say Olimar's grab is the quickest long range grab in the game. the pikmin are not connected to him so you might be able to bat them away, but its so quick it doesn't really matter.

damage is average 9-14 damage on throw 4ish when pressing A.

knock back is ok, but sends them at high angles for easy juggling/ finshing.

Don't expect to kill anyone with a throw.

---A MOVES---
Olimars ground moves have great great horizontal and vertical range compared to his size.

sadly they are all in straight lines vertical or horizontal leaving diagonal approaches his weakest area.

All of olimars tilts and A (and air A) can be done with no pikmin. EVERY OTHER MOVE requires a pikmin in hand or it does nothing.

tap A--
a one two head swipe. its actually three hits. his antenna hits on the first swipe at a slightly longer range then his head (negligible amount) too!
A(1st)2% (2nd)3%, A(3nd)5%
very short range
hits them a short distance across the ground.
no lag afterwards.

FTiltA--
A flying double kick that has oliimar land on his side a olimar length in front of himself.
6%
short range
little better knock back then tap A
very minor lag afterwards

UtiltA--
Olimar jumps up twice his height and does a spin.
hits 8 times with the last hit sending them flying and more damage.
11%
average range
pops the opponent straight up. great for combos -60% (follow up with upair or Aair)
minor lag afterwards

DtiltA--
olimar scoots across the ground quickly about twice his length again.
6%%
short range
hits the opponent up slightly even at high percents. do this 3-4 times in a row when they are at 0% and watch them unable to get out. (air dodge out of 4th hit possible)
minor lag afterwards

-----Olimars air moves are broad sweeping moves that hit in rather short range wide arks on the direction you use except Uair which is a multi hitting pikmin toss/twirl.

Aair--

a 6 hit spin just like UtiltA only in the air.
12%
very short range
hits opponent up and to the left or right slightly on last hit.
very minor lag.

***under construction****

Uair is very good for combing and juggling. high vertical range. high damage low knockback. if you can hit them with the last hit of the pikmin twirl it is a strong hit. especially with yellow or red pikmin.

Dair is a very quick no lag spike. easy to connect with. most be right below olimar or they go up and to the side at a high angle. works with any pikmin.

---B---
pluck pikmin from the ground. you can pluck the max of 6 well within a second. No noticble difference has been seen on plucking from different parts of the map or different stages.
overall rate of appearance has been:
yellow 4/6
red 4/6
blue 4/6
white 1/6
purple 2/6
so only 1 white will normally show up (if even that) while you'll normaly have at least one purple. multiple reds blues and yellows will appear.

---Down B---
At first i thought down B was really useless and having an attack would have been better, but it has some really usefull functions.

it calls all the pikmin to you instantly. sometimes pikmin will be thrown off the edge or be knocked off an opponent and not know how to get back to you very quickly. this move makes sure you can always have the longest upB recovery you can have even if your tossing pikmin during your return to the stage.

it orders the pikmin! while plucking pikmin come out randomly. having to attack with them in that order can be bothersome and hard to tell what will come up next. this move will put all pikmin of same color next to eachother in the line.

It shuffles the pikmin coming up next. this is the quickest way to get the pikmin color you need. it shuffles by pikmin color so if you have a line like this
(front)Y-Y-W-W-R-P it would skip your next pikmin up (another yellow) and go right to white. whistle again and it goes to Red!

you can whistle 2.5 times per second so if you do it right you can always have the pikmin you need.

---up B---
obviously pikmins greatest weakness his his recovery. average jumping and a tether recovery that can be average with all 6 pikmin to useless with 1 or 2...

does not sweet spot unless your below the level. and even then its touchy about grabing hold.

it comes out lightning quick which is nice. especially if someone approches you while your on the ground.

the range is impressive for a ground based attack but the angle really limits its use as a standard move.

luckily defending from a 45% angle attack is one of olimars weakest areas for most of his attacks so this move makes it one of his best areas! (all of olimars ground attacks are straight up or straight to the side.)

----side B----
!!Damage and number of pikmin hits does not degrade with use! spam as much as you can!!

pikmin hit the target different amounts of time Dependant on damage already on the target.
0-40% 8 times
40-65% 7 times
65-85% 6
85-115% 5
115-155% 4
155-185% 3
185%+ 2

Most any attack will knock a pikmin off. more so for white and less for blue.
<when i say on hit i mean when the pikmin bashes them with their leaf>

White pikmin- (48-54%)6 damage each. chance of interrupting targets actions on hit.
goes 3/4 of (brawl) final destination very quickly.

Purple- knocks them away. deals 6 damage.
goes 1/4 of final destination slowly

Blue- (16%)2 damage each
1/2 FD straight line

Yellow-(16%)2 damage each chance of interrupting targets action on hit.
1/2 FD upward arc

Red-(16%) 2 damage each. chance of interrupting targets actions on hit.
1/2 FD same as blue

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Interesting

So, the blues can swim eh?

Well, now I know what Ill do. Someone jumps in the water, or falls, when playing on the WW ship, Delfino or the summit. I stand on the edge of the stage, and chuck all my blue Pikmin at them while they swim.

Hmm.. that will be fun.

Also, if the White Pikmin truly does that much damage, thats awesome.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Seems like you've been looking quite a bit into each Pikmin and their properties. Can you tell me what stage types give higher chances of plucking certain kinds of Pikmin and how this works?

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Seems like you've been looking quite a bit into each Pikmin and their properties. Can you tell me what stage types give higher chances of plucking certain kinds of Pikmin and how this works?
hmm I completely forgot about that line from the dojo. I didn't notice any major difference. in any given pluck of 6 pikmin-

red, blue, and yellow always appeared at least once or twice each.
white sometimes didn't get plucked. if you REALLY need one just chuck a few off the edge real quick or hope some die as you bash the enemy.
at least one purple was plucked most of the time.

Again I forgot about the different areas having different rates so these could be changed greatly. I'll look into it when i can play some more.

IllidR

Smash Champion
hmm I completely forgot about that line from the dojo. I didn't notice any major difference. in any given pluck of 6 pikmin-

red, blue, and yellow always appeared at least once or twice each.
white sometimes didn't get plucked. if you REALLY need one just chuck a few off the edge real quick or hope some die as you bash the enemy.
at least one purple was plucked most of the time.

Again I forgot about the different areas having different rates so these could be changed greatly. I'll look into it when i can play some more.
There has to be some levels which give some Pikmin more than others. For example, of the videos I saw of Olimar on the Great Fox, I can't remember the actual name right now, when Olimar plucked his Pikmin 5/6 of his Pikmin were either blue or purple.

If you could put some time into looking for what sets the color plucking apart it'd be appreciated by the entire Olimar community.

ShumPenPo

Smash Apprentice
Thats a very nice property with the pikmin call. I do however want to ask that when you pick up new pikmin like say you have 5 then you pick your your 6th pikmin will it be first in the line or last (or even random) because if it was first you could immediatly use it to atk if it was the one you wanted.

IllidR

Smash Champion
updated first post with tons of data.
Read all of it and I love the new info, and I mean all of it. It just makes me so jealous that you have the game and I have to wait until March 8th. =(

Well, the part that stood out to me the most is your description of Olimar's grabs. I definitely like how he has about the range of Yoshi's grab without any of the consequences of start up and cool-down lag. Olimar is looking so great to me!

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
just tested. blue pikmin shrug off squirtles water based A and B moves. likewise Pikachus electric attacks do nothing to yellow pikmin! amazing.

Thats a very nice property with the pikmin call. I do however want to ask that when you pick up new pikmin like say you have 5 then you pick your your 6th pikmin will it be first in the line or last (or even random) because if it was first you could immediatly use it to atk if it was the one you wanted.

goes to the end of the line.

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
I have a question,

i know that when you throw a pikman successfully, they grab on to the opponent and start hitting them, while they are doing that, can you grab the opponent? and if you can, will the pikman still be holding on and attacking until its done?

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
yes. any pikmin on the opponent will still beat on them no matter what YOU do. the target can still shield to negate the pikmin damage and attack to maybe knock them off. but you can have some pikmin cling to them and then send another one out to grab and press A.

If you threw a white pikmin and grabed with a blue you could easily get 60 damage in the whole process. and thats just the first two moves!

IllidR

Smash Champion
Can't believe I don't know this yet or didn't think to ask it earlier, but a recent question brought the idea to my head and it's a pretty simple question.

If a Pikmin is thrown at a shielding opponent will it latch onto him and beat on him?

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Can't believe I don't know this yet or didn't think to ask it earlier, but a recent question brought the idea to my head and it's a pretty simple question.

If a Pikmin is thrown at a shielding opponent will it latch onto him and beat on him?
nope. they fly right past them doing no damage or latching on. also as i said before if you have a pikmin latched on and the opponent shields the pikmin deals no damage. except for maybe purple pikmin. since he does knock back he might chip the shield....i'll have to check at some time.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
nope. they fly right past them doing no damage or latching on. also as i said before if you have a pikmin latched on and the opponent shields the pikmin deals no damage. except for maybe purple pikmin. since he does knock back he might chip the shield....i'll have to check at some time.
Actually, I think Ive seen multiple times a situation in which Pikmin latch on to a shielding opponent and bet on them. They are always quickly thrown off however.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I love Olimar so far. He's a great mix of ranged and close combat. All of the Pikmin have their purpose.

However, I really think it's going to be hard to ever order the Pikmin in the way you want them. It's nearly impossible to tell their order unless you are jumping, and the time it takes to rotate them will let people in on you. Usually they are best as a follow up to another attack, which gives you even less time to rearrange them in order. I prefer to just bombard people with them, regardless of type, but maybe advanced gameplay will eventually allow for this kind of control.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I think Ive seen multiple times a situation in which Pikmin latch on to a shielding opponent and bet on them. They are always quickly thrown off however.
from what I've experienced playing the game thats never happened.

I love Olimar so far. He's a great mix of ranged and close combat. All of the Pikmin have their purpose.

However, I really think it's going to be hard to ever order the Pikmin in the way you want them. It's nearly impossible to tell their order unless you are jumping, and the time it takes to rotate them will let people in on you. Usually they are best as a follow up to another attack, which gives you even less time to rearrange them in order. I prefer to just bombard people with them, regardless of type, but maybe advanced gameplay will eventually allow for this kind of control.
yoh kish! haven't seen you since FC6 :D

for the most part I agree. after your no longer worrying about what each attack does its not too terribly hard to see what pikmin your attacking with and which ones coming up next. For the first time it could be hard, but not for an experienced player. just like how good peach players can see a stichface turnip in the spit second before blindly tossing it away it will be the same for pikmin.

I'd only really worry about white and purple pikmin because they are used so differently. whites are just horrible for A attacks and best to be thrown.
purples hit the target away.

its easy to see where whites and purples are in the line because they look so different and you'll usually only have 1 of each anyway.

Over all I wouldn't make too big a deal out of what pikmin you are going to attack with.

worry about fighting and combos and timing like any other character THEN practice having the right pikmin for the job to optimize your power!

IllidR

Smash Champion

I too feel I'm going to have this problem, but not for the reasons you mentioned. After a while you should be able to get the hang of noticing where your Pikmin stand in line and which come after that, coordinating your attacks to match the Pikmin, I have no doubt in the Smash community to be able to do that after a little practice with Olimar. But my problem is a little bit different, more of one with colors as I have a color-deficiency. I'm definitely going to get confused often on which Pikmin I have in my line at the time, purple and white shouldn't pose too much of a problem but all of the others, especially with the blinding colors of the whistle.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Something about the recovery. I got to play a few more hours today and after a winning streak it seemed like everyone was trying to figure out how to keep me off the platform.

Olimar's Up B will home down if you're trying to recover and are close enough to the ledge. However, this will only happen if no one is already holding on to the ledge. It's unfortunately a big weakness right there.

However, someone also said that you can't latch on if someone is holding the ledge, and that's not true. Basically, if you're under the ledge and your opponent isn't in invincibility frames, your Up B will first knock him off, and if you're long enough for your next pikmin to reach, that one will grab the ledge, at least that's what it looks like.

And this is coming from experience from today. These two situations popped up more than once and in those times I either fell to my doom because I tried to home in from above while they were hanging, or waiting until I was under and knocked him off while still grabbing the ledge. If no one was holding on, I'd Up B immediatly and still be able to home in despite being above the ledge.

Edit:

I took a visit to the thread about tether recovery characters being gimped, and after reading a bit, I added this:

I've been reading through the pages more carefully, and I realized certain things.

First, I might have been wrong about the home in from under the ledge. I was already at about a 45 degree angle at the time, so from under the ledge when an opponent is already there, you may not home in.

Second, you will knock off the opponent depending on which pikmin is at the end of your chain when you Up B. I know I did this once using a yellow pikmin and I hit the guy edge hogging, shocked him (revealing it was a yellow) and then bounced him down KOing him before me. This probably works with red pikmin as well, since they have a hit stun for burning. If you can find if this works for purple pikmin (my next best guess), then three out of five pikmin that you can pull will knock back off your opponent. As for grabbing afterward, still needs to be shown, but at a high enough percentage you will hit your opponent so hard that at the very least you'll kill him before you fall to your death.

Olimar is still awesome.

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
However, someone also said that you can't latch on if someone is holding the ledge, and that's not true. Basically, if you're under the ledge and your opponent isn't in invincibility frames, your Up B will first knock him off, and if you're long enough for your next pikmin to reach, that one will grab the ledge, at least that's what it looks like.
Tested that specifically today, and you really can't latch onto the edge when someone is edge hogging you. If you're forced into that position where someone is sitting on the edge and you can't do anything but Up B, your best shot is to cycle to a red/yellow pikmin and hope for a kill. If you Up B even perfectly onto the ledge (with the standard angle since it won't auto-sweetspot) you will not latch on to the ledge.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
The one thing I need to test is whether or not, if you were so close that you would latch on with one or the pikmin to spare (so close that you didn't need the whole chain) is if the first pikmin will knock the person off while the second pikmin will latch on. Something like this happened to me that ended with me latching on to the platform, and my opponent sent flying. One explanation is that he was starting to get up, but then he would have invincibility frames. The other would be that he let go to hit me one more time out of spite, but then he jumped out too late/slow.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Olimar's Up B will home down if you're trying to recover and are close enough to the ledge. However, this will only happen if no one is already holding on to the ledge. It's unfortunately a big weakness right there.
*quoted*

your right you will sweet spot from above. but from what i've tested you have to be so close to it that you could have simply fallen onto the edge from above. the sweetspot range is horrible above the stage so if you far off you will have to wait till your below in hopes to grab hold. its very gimp and sad for olimar. he still is amazing though.

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
The one thing I need to test is whether or not, if you were so close that you would latch on with one or the pikmin to spare (so close that you didn't need the whole chain) is if the first pikmin will knock the person off while the second pikmin will latch on. Something like this happened to me that ended with me latching on to the platform, and my opponent sent flying. One explanation is that he was starting to get up, but then he would have invincibility frames. The other would be that he let go to hit me one more time out of spite, but then he jumped out too late/slow.
I'm positive you won't latch on. I've hit people off the edge with Up B and had the chain be less than a millimeter away from the ledge and still not latch on.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about the Bside details, I've been watching videos but am still not sure I exactly understand knocking pikmin off once hit with them. Obviously its not too hard to do, but I feel the details here could be important, not only for Olimar players but his opposition as well to know low lag moves to dislodge the attackers. This would be important to see the other advantages Bside offers as well, although your most likely not next to someone when using Bside, what if you grab someone being pounded on, can you hold them to allow max damage from Bside attackers? Olimar isn't a straightforward character its the details that'll unlock the most potential.

Also only slightly related, but established combos out of dtilt seem a must, you already said its hard to avoid dtilt chains immediately, kinda like chain throwing spacies (marth user) so what if you were to dtilt>dtilt>Bside>grab>etc, Clearly wish i had the game to try this stuff out myself, but from what i've seen/read, especially if grabbing prolongs Bside beatings, olimar low % game could become a particular strength, that combo above could on average produce 50% or so, who knows maybe more if 50% range is a good place for some throw to link to another move.

Thanks for the specific info though, love the discussion, perhaps midair pikmin throwing will be vital to compensating for olimars recovery, despite shortening the length of it, but glad theres so much interest in this odd character.

-True

kafke

Smash Apprentice
So, the blues can swim eh?

Well, now I know what Ill do. Someone jumps in the water, or falls, when playing on the WW ship, Delfino or the summit. I stand on the edge of the stage, and chuck all my blue Pikmin at them while they swim.

Hmm.. that will be fun.

Also, if the White Pikmin truly does that much damage, thats awesome.
Rofl, Great idea! I lol at the thought of someone trying to get back up and blue pikmin are just bombarding him XD

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
i think i saw this somewhere but im not sure.

can olimar do some of his attacks at the same time?

ex: Bside + Fsmash = at the same time or
Bside + grab = at the same time

if this is true than olimar will have some nice comboing ability if this info is right.

Pyrogamer

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to add a few things, I played about 30 hours over the weekend, most of it with Olimar.

Grabs: these certainly CAN kill. if you grab with a purple pikmin , it is stronger than the others.(as well it should be because its harder to grab with purple) Up and Down throw can usually KO at early percents over 100.

leaf/bud/flower: it takes about a minute to get flower pikmin, so you generally want to keep these, they add to the knockback of attacks and the durability of pikmin. if you have flower pikmin latched on an oponent who is about to own them with a strong attack, use the whistle.

the whislte also has protective frames, so it ends up having a lot of different utility.

also, yellow pikmin are immune to the beam attack from the Halberd, and i think white are immune to some of Ivysaur's attacks and the Wario Waft, not sure on those two tho.

Olimar = <3

ShumPenPo

Smash Apprentice
leaf/bud/flower: it takes about a minute to get flower pikmin, so you generally want to keep these, they add to the knockback of attacks and the durability of pikmin. if you have flower pikmin latched on an oponent who is about to own them with a strong attack, use the whistle.
People have been saying flowers dont affect knockback but if you're who i think who you are then i know you have a lot of olimar experience so having increasd knockback and durability sounds great! The time of about a minute to get a flower pikmin sounds logical because through watching videos I've found the maturing process (ty whoever used this word the first time) takes around 20 seconds. So could you do a quick test and see if it is indeed 20seconds or so.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
People have been saying flowers dont affect knockback but if you're who i think who you are then i know you have a lot of olimar experience so having increasd knockback and durability sounds great! The time of about a minute to get a flower pikmin sounds logical because through watching videos I've found the maturing process (ty whoever used this word the first time) takes around 20 seconds. So could you do a quick test and see if it is indeed 20seconds or so.
hmm. I'll have to test this more and making sure to refresh my attacks with death.

to the person questioning the pluck time. If it takes more then 1 second its not much. pikmin plucking is amazingly quick.

to the person asking about doing multiple attacks at ounce. No you can only do one move at once, but olimars have almost no lag whatsoever that you might confuse it with doing more then one move at once :p

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
PThe time of about a minute to get a flower pikmin sounds logical because through watching videos I've found the maturing process (ty whoever used this word the first time) takes around 20 seconds. So could you do a quick test and see if it is indeed 20seconds or so.
Its pretty much exactly 20 seconds per growth. In
one of the events it forces you to get 6 pikmin to the flower state
and you end at 40.3 seconds.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
It'd be silly to include this "maturing process" if it didn't do anything. If it was only for sake of diversity they could've just had you pluck leaf/bud/flower randomly with color being the only important factor. Knockback and durability seem easy and likely, not to mention I don't have any ideas for what else it could affect.

I know my other post was a little long, but any more details about knocking pikmin off, grabs while pikmin are latched, or noticed combo development/linked attacks?

-True

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
It'd be silly to include this "maturing process" if it didn't do anything. If it was only for sake of diversity they could've just had you pluck leaf/bud/flower randomly with color being the only important factor. Knockback and durability seem easy and likely, not to mention I don't have any ideas for what else it could affect.

I know my other post was a little long, but any more details about knocking pikmin off, grabs while pikmin are latched, or noticed combo development/linked attacks?

-True
pikmin will stay on for a number of hits dependent on the damage the opponent has taken and if the opponent tries to knock them off. the pikmin attach to a part of the character model that it touches. so if you throw them at bowser from behind it will be on his shell. if bowser attacks with forward claw moves the pikmin on his back will be safe. also dodging seems to get pikmin off of you farely well.

the best use of pikmin is harasment and in combos. they have to deal with the pikmin or they will take tons of damage. they might not even realize that they are taking so much because they cause no interuption to their character movement for the most part.

throw 3-4 pikmin and then follow up with a grab or attack that leaves them helpless for a time. the pikmin will stay on and will be free to do their full damage.

Top Bottom