• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping (ink dropping)

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
I kinda doubt that a crack team of highly experienced game developers would throw in a match-deciding element without a very serious purpose in mind. Whether that comes to fruition or not has yet to be seen, but I think it's pretty safe to say that tripping wasn't put in just to rob us of our competitive scene.

Maybe we should, I dunno, get the game before we decide that it's become a horrid, mash-up of random spotaneity.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. I heard that tripping is activated upon the release of the joystick. So you could just dash and hold it there.
No, it's when you tap the control stick (make it go all the way to the notch in the corner). Holding the control stick would have no effect.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Not necessarily. I heard that tripping is activated upon the release of the joystick. So you could just dash and hold it there.
Sonic Wave is correct. This is why people shouldn't make other threads when they don't know what they are talking about. It influences people into thinking the wrong information.

Again, a good deal of information from the "Tripping Explained" thread is not correct. The thread was made to quote someone from the IGN boards who tried to explain tripping. This person from the IGN boards incorrectly gathered his information from the information that I provided in this thread. Believe what you read in this thread, it has all of the correct information.

Maybe we should, I dunno, get the game before we decide that it's become a horrid, mash-up of random spontaneity.
I do have the game. =P

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I does suck SeventhSage, it does.

However, if it's any consolation, I've only seen it be a problem in one match so far in videos, and I've seen quite a few videos (upwards of 50-70, I don't truly know to be honest, but it's a lot).

startoonhero

Smash Apprentice
when i play brawl, i tend to trip more so than my friends.. and i use dashing alot. but what ive noticed too, is that i tend to trip more when i dash to the opposite direction.. x_x

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
when i play brawl, i tend to trip more so than my friends.. and i use dashing alot. but what ive noticed too, is that i tend to trip more when i dash to the opposite direction.. x_x
looking into this might be helpful.
its really early in the morning for me so i might have forgotten, but have we already tested if the percent of tripping is higher if its the second or third dash in a dash dance? mabye you are more likely to trip on a second or third consecutive dash?

man.... only 3 days 22 hours 29 minutes and 59 seconds till i can test this stuff myself

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Has anybody looked through the Japanese manual for info about it?
Why would it be in the japanese manual and not the u.s. manual?

Oh yea, that's right, because the Japanese like to **** with us. Yea, that's right.

....lol, I realize that this talk began before brawl was released in the U.S., but still :chuckle:

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
So I have played tons of vs. matches on wifi and haven't tripped once... or at least I never noticed it. Can you roll out of the trip instantly or is their a lot of lag? (as in can you roll away before your opponent hits you or are you on the ground for too long after tripping)

I really dont understand why they can't release a patch for this... I mean I thought Nintendo looked at fanboards.... clearly no fansite praises the implementation of tripping.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
OMG TRIPPING IS SO PRO!!!

lol, personally as a competitive player, I hate when people trip, since it puts you at somewhat of a disadvantage, if only for a second....I know I've capitalized on a lot of trips, and I feel bad knowing that if I was on the receiving end I would have been like WTF.

The_1337

Smash Rookie
it seems ive tripped a bunch right at the start of the fight. it started and then i fell on my face.....

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
It happens out of a percentage but knowbody knows that percentage. I would think it would be low.
No one reads through threads anymore eh?

I did a large amount of testing throughout this thread. You have a 1% chance to trip on normal ground, and a 3% chance to trip on the ice. The cause of tripping is either using the Forward+A for a smash attack, or going into a dash animation.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
It is a very very high percent. If you on the ground and you take more then a few steps, your either going to be asleep, dizzy, or tripping.

Happy to help.

Ok, so...the results were a little more interesting then I thought they would be. When I first did this test I spammed his down tilt on the target.

Test Results (Test preformed with Lucas attacking Sonic – Both players died and restarted after each result):
Trip/Down Tilt
1/13
1/12
1/10
1/13
1/9
1/11
1/12
1/11
1/13
1/12

From this collection of data, if you spam downtilt on your target, you have an 11.6% chance to knock them down. Now I ran some more tests after this and I noticed that even though I thought it was an 11.6% chance I never once got 1-8. I ran a total of 30 tests so it could have been bad luck, but that’s some bad luck. What this tells me is that its not really a percentage, that’s just the number of kicks it takes.

After realizing that I started to wonder if the number of kicks added up over time. At that point I did a test of doing 5 kicks and then pausing for 10 seconds. The results changed quite a bit.

Test Results (Test preformed with Lucas attacking Sonic – Both players died and restarted after each result):
Trip/Down Tilt
1/33
1/24
1/37
1/40
1/34
1/41

As you can see, those numbers were a lot higher. I seems that his trip effect is based on how consistent the spam of the move is.

The final test that I did was testing my theory from last night when I thought it was based in some ways off percent.

Trip/Down Tilt
1/4
1/4
1/5
1/4
1/7
1/4

After seeing the difference in the 100% change I tried 200%. At 200% I couldn’t get more then 2 down tilts off on sonic before it pushed him back so I couldn’t really get him to trip consistently.

In conclusion to this test, it seems that when a move that can trip is spammed, it has a higher rate of tripping someone. It also seems that the higher percent you are the more likely you are to trip from said move (as long as the push back does not apply). Keep in mind that this information at the moment is just for Lucas, however, I believe that it will apply to all characters when using a move that has trip potential.
I'm afraid your results are a bit skewed because Lucas' dtilt is one of the most unique trip moves in the game, in that it trips from 0-999%, and that it is location-dependant (it only trips with the tip of his foot). In the first test, you never tripped till the 9th kick because it took 8 kicks to push Sonic far enough away. In the third test, Sonic's higher damage pushed him into trip range faster.

The second test surprises me, because as far as I'm aware, there are no general mechanics in Brawl that are time-dependent. I know stale moves aren't. So, my guess is that you would've gotten the same results if you'd attacked again after 2 seconds, or 30 seconds. I think that when you stopped your continuous barrage of dtilts, Sonic had the chance to put both feet back on the ground again, which moved his hitbox forward a bit. I'll test this out though. :bee:

As for Non-lucas trip moves, each has its own range of knockback over which it can cause trip, which depends on the move's staleness, the target's percentage and weight, and the slope they're standing on. For example, Pit's ftilt can trip a bowser on level ground from 19-24% (training mode). I believe that once the conditions for a trip are satisfied, there's nothing that affects the probability of a trip. In fact, probability seems oddly uniform, even between different moves... it looks like they have either a 10% trip rate, or a 50% trip rate (Lucas' may be above that, though).

I did a big thread about this with a list of trip moves here. :bee:

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I'm afraid your results are a bit skewed because Lucas' dtilt is one of the most unique trip moves in the game, in that it trips from 0-999%, and that it is location-dependant (it only trips with the tip of his foot). In the first test, you never tripped till the 9th kick because it took 8 kicks to push Sonic far enough away. In the third test, Sonic's higher damage pushed him into trip range faster.

The second test surprises me, because as far as I'm aware, there are no general mechanics in Brawl that are time-dependent. I know stale moves aren't. So, my guess is that you would've gotten the same results if you'd attacked again after 2 seconds, or 30 seconds. I think that when you stopped your continuous barrage of dtilts, Sonic had the chance to put both feet back on the ground again, which moved his hitbox forward a bit. I'll test this out though. :bee:

As for Non-lucas trip moves, each has its own range of knockback over which it can cause trip, which depends on the move's staleness, the target's percentage and weight, and the slope they're standing on. For example, Pit's ftilt can trip a bowser on level ground from 19-24% (training mode). I believe that once the conditions for a trip are satisfied, there's nothing that affects the probability of a trip. In fact, probability seems oddly uniform, even between different moves... it looks like they have either a 10% trip rate, or a 50% trip rate (Lucas' may be above that, though).

I did a big thread about this with a list of trip moves here. :bee:
Ah I see, you are very much correct. I find it a little ironic that I chose to do the testing with the one character that had the exception to the general move tripping rule. =)

As far as the second test involving the time of the down tilts, it could have just involved him placing both of his feet on the ground again. I didn't do too much research on this part of tripping so I am happy that someone else did. Thanks for clearing that up.

I started a new thread with all of the data gathered into one spot: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4312020#post4312020

Top Bottom