• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping (ink dropping)

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
So whats the deal with these? Does it happen randomly? Is it controllable? What are consequences (positive and negative) of it happening?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
its when u DD wrong and ur character trips while moving that direction and falls

ink dropping is canceling it with a move

does this clear things up?

jonkil

Smash Apprentice
i wounder if you could controll it would it be more of like a dodge then a trip? say fox comes dashing at you with a flying kick and you "trip" then he'd miss you wouldnt he?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The major aspect of this technique is that at E for All, someone named Ink somehow canceled the falling animation. If that's still in then basically it can be used like a wavedash (though I'm just going to stick to pivoting.)

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. Out of date info in this thread.

The original assessment at E for All was wrong. It was confirmed the next day after "Ink Drop" was coined that the trip could NOT be cancelled, which is a major reason why the term largely went out of use. It was also never discovered exactly how to do it - it was thought to be a screwed up dash dance, but I've done it several times right out of an idle with no dashing involved.

Right now, I have not figured out how to trip - for me it usually happens when doing a forward smash or forward+B move, and the trip happens instead of the move I wonted, but I've also had it happen while not using any buttons and just running around. Its almost seeming to be random - everyone in our group has done it multiple times and not known why it happened. Its not an advanced technique, its either punishment for screwing something up or entirely random. It does nothing useful - you fall over, then roll back to your feet.

If anyone else that actually has played the game figures out how to trip, and more importantly, how to PREVENT tripping, please fill us in!

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
I think someone just really wanted to be the person who claimed the first Brawl buzzword like wavedash or shffl, and the use got out of hand too fast.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I really want to know more information about this. There's footage of yoshi (as a CPU tripping and then catching himself and turning it into a roll) There has to be some use for this move. Even if it's just another dodge move. I'll go find the footage and put it here for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.

EDIT:

are these the same, yoshi just moves faster? or is yoshi doing something in the middle that mario is failing to do?

Byakutsuki

Smash Rookie
So does Ink dropping exist now? Some ppl say it does and some ppl say it doesn't... =.=

Things would be cleared up if someone came forth who... can say yes to either of these questions..

Does anyone actually know how to Ink Drop?

Does anyone know how to trip?

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
So does Ink dropping exist now? Some ppl say it does and some ppl say it doesn't... =.=

Things would be cleared up if someone came forth who... can say yes to either of these questions..

Does anyone actually know how to Ink Drop?

Does anyone know how to trip?
That's what we're trying to find out. :ohwell:

Anyone who has the game and tries to figure it out claims that they don't know how it happens and is random.

Someone, please figure this out.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
****, it would be annoying for a random trip to kill you. Needs to be a way to prevent it.

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
Ugh. Out of date info in this thread.

The original assessment at E for All was wrong. It was confirmed the next day after "Ink Drop" was coined that the trip could NOT be cancelled, which is a major reason why the term largely went out of use. It was also never discovered exactly how to do it - it was thought to be a screwed up dash dance, but I've done it several times right out of an idle with no dashing involved.

Right now, I have not figured out how to trip - for me it usually happens when doing a forward smash or forward+B move, and the trip happens instead of the move I wonted, but I've also had it happen while not using any buttons and just running around. Its almost seeming to be random - everyone in our group has done it multiple times and not known why it happened. Its not an advanced technique, its either punishment for screwing something up or entirely random. It does nothing useful - you fall over, then roll back to your feet.

If anyone else that actually has played the game figures out how to trip, and more importantly, how to PREVENT tripping, please fill us in!
Do you use > + A to smash or the c-stick?

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
After playing it for a full day...I can only safely assume that it happens RANDOMLY. I've done it at the start of matches...while turning around from a dash...from trying to forward smash..whatever. It's completely random but I think there are ways to reduce the amount of it happening...

Byakutsuki

Smash Rookie
I think there is a highly likely chance that tripping occurs when trying to execute some specific type of wave technique. The game will immediately force the character to trip as means to eliminate certain AT's =\

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Perhaps it's just something to prevent people from staying on the ground all the time? Isn't this game supposed to be more air based? I've watched some battles where characters never trip and they're doing all sorts of moves. Perhaps repeating a handful of moves to often in a row induces a trip?

kirborg

Smash Cadet
Perhaps it's just something to prevent people from staying on the ground all the time? Isn't this game supposed to be more air based? I've watched some battles where characters never trip and they're doing all sorts of moves. Perhaps repeating a handful of moves to often in a row induces a trip?
That's what i was thinking, it might be implented to prevent the same stale moves from being executed over and over. It might happen if a specific action (dashing, turning) is done too often during a short time span.

Zek

Smash Ace
There's no reason to believe that it's random. I've heard people say that it never happens to them but a friend of theirs trips all the time, etc. It seems to me that it's a penalty for messing up a button input in some way, and people just don't know yet what mistake they're making because they're used to Melee.

Has anybody looked through the Japanese manual for info about it?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
In the cases where I've tripped doing a side smash or side B, I was using the normal stick and not the c-stick. As it happens more and more, I'm convinced its a result of tapping your stick to the side, i.e. the same motion as a dash. Its just sometimes the trip occurs even though I also pressed A or B at the same time, not intended a dash but just a smash or side-B in the direction I tapped.

I have still not nailed down any reliable way to reproduce or avoid doing it though.

tect

Smash Journeyman
hmmmmmmmm... from what i've gathered from other threads and vids, it seems random, but that gif animation about the yoshi rolling gives me hope

Xanderous

Smash Lord
It's random. You can roll out of it and you can attack out of it. It's pretty useful.

tect

Smash Journeyman
i heard attacking out of it doesn't work, perhaps in this thread. of course it would make sense if you meant AFTER the roll, but do you mean before you hit the ground?

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
It's random. You can roll out of it and you can attack out of it. It's pretty useful.
Brawl has only been out for a few days it still is too early to declare it as being random.

That theory of a player staying on the ground for too long does sound plausible. There must be something about tripping in the japanese strategy guides or instruction booklet..

Xanderous

Smash Lord
i heard attacking out of it doesn't work, perhaps in this thread. of course it would make sense if you meant AFTER the roll, but do you mean before you hit the ground?
Think about when you hit the ground without teching. That's the same effect that tripping has. You can push A or B to attack out of your neutral position.

It's random, but it only happens when you dash, obviously. Being on the gruond has nothing to do with it. I play aerially and it still happens to me. I play on the ground and it still happens to me.

S2

Smash Lord
Well I think after playing for only a day or two people shouldn't decide if its random or not. It may very well have a logical formula that leads to when you trip. Maybe it is random, but more often than not there is usually some sort of backwards logic to these things somewhere in the programming.

We'll find out eventually, but I get the feeling its going to take a while for someone to figure out exactly how it happens.

Zorygon-P

Smash Rookie
We have every reason to believe it's random, for the simple fact that we do not know what the developers were thinking when it was implemented.
(I personally would wager heavily that they added it because it just gives the characters more character, and adds a degree of comic effect; but there's no way to say I'm absolutely right.)

Because of this fact - that you can't see into the developers' minds - you cannot say it was made as a punishment for 'stale moves', or for staying on the ground, etc.
The only logical choice afterward is that it's random; and from what has been shown so far, it happens when you try to move.

That said - what exactly is wrong with something being random?

I realize; worst-case scenario, you'll lose a major tournament because your character randomly tripped during Sudden Death and you were plastered with a heavy hit, ensuring your opponent a KO... but how likely is this to happen?
Is it really that important to be able to cancel trips, or know the exact conditions that cause them just so you can avoid its occurrence? It seems kind of pointless.

My point is, there will always be factors you can't control - and the more you try to control everything, the less fun you'll have.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I can now confirm it's random. I dashed at the *very* beginning of the fight without doing ANY action before. Literally in the first second, I tripped.

It's random.

geogaither

Smash Apprentice
Every time we've had it happen, it seems completely random.

I've had it happen instead of rolling, i've had it happen while changing directions, i've had it happen while trying to smash attack.

None of use can figure it out for the life of us.

It's only an inconvenience, though, as the invincibility frames related to it don't really leave you all the vulnerable to attack.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Do you think we could petition nintendo to have it removed? or at least made not random? It seems completely useless and can be very bad for competative play because of its random nature.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Do you think we could petition nintendo to have it removed? or at least made not random? It seems completely useless and can be very bad for competative play because of its random nature.
Eh, it's funny, and doesn't really change anything. I say it can stay.
I wonder if the Ice Climbers can trip up with those spiked shoes of theirs.

Top Bottom