• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just noticed something about Lucas's Up Smash.

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
He doesn't just shoot psi energy over his head, he is actually pulling one of those needles from Mother 3 out of the ground and it is releasing psi energy over his head.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
In all the closeups of him doing it, he doesn't grab anything from the ground. The needle is in his victory poses, but it's huge, and has the streak of light shooting up that's trademark of pulling a needle. I doubt they'd leave it out of the attack, so until I see an unblurred screenshot of Lucas actually having a needle in his hands...

eh.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
I checked it today with close-ups. Sadly, he DOES NOT pull a needle from the ground, despite what it looks like. He crouches, gathers energy in front of him, then puts his hands together and raises his arms, and a burst of energy erupts above him. It looks more like he's collecting energy in front of his forehead than anything else. In fact, when you close up to him, it looks like he needs to take a dump >_>

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Awww...pulling a needle for an USmash would have been so cool. ;_;

I guess those who wish to end the world have to resort to getting the needle victory pose seven times.

D

Deleted member

I checked it today with close-ups. Sadly, he DOES NOT pull a needle from the ground, despite what it looks like. He crouches, gathers energy in front of him, then puts his hands together and raises his arms, and a burst of energy erupts above him. It looks more like he's collecting energy in front of his forehead than anything else. In fact, when you close up to him, it looks like he needs to take a dump >_>
Truth.

I just did it like 5 times on my friends copy just now. No needle.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE his up smash. It's the envy of all the hard hitting characters. My friend who plays Ganondorf is jealous that he doesn't have a killing move that compares in power and range.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I screwed up so many people with the up smash it's ridiculous. I thought the lag on this move is PUNISHABLE.

BUT ONE BIG THING I NOTICED: Lucas doesn't have JUST SUPERARMOR during the length the burst is actually out, he's INVULNERABLE to anything that's not a grab. Several people tried to pelt me with projectile spam and one even tried to hit me, but it did nothing.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
A good trade off with his clone's Yo-Yo if you ask me!=)
Who's who's clone? Ness isn't remotely a clone of Lucas. If anything, L-boy's a clone of NESS.

That said, I feel like the two have very unique play styles that go far beyond the similarities in a few moves, and Ness's yoyos have their place.

And ... yeah. I love Lucas's up smash so much. Where is it that these armor frames are supposed to take place, btw? I haven't noticed that kind of effect. Could somebody be more specific?

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
He doesn't have Super Armor frames, per say, but the attack itself can negate projectiles as I have spammed it and negated damage from Wolf's Blaster and Din's Fire.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Today I had a Game&Watch use a d-air on me while I used my up smash with Lucas. He went completely through me, hit the ground, then got smoked by the usmash.

I think the move has some sort of invincibility frames. Or super armor. Either or.

Malk

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Usmash just has ridiculous priority. Game and Watch probably continued moving to the ground with the momentum from his downair during the split second freeze that all the heavy hitting moves produce now.

Levitas

the moon
Nah, claus is the only brother involved. but yeah, Lucas's upsmash kills really well. So well, that I want to go use it again. His PK thunder kills, too. I managed to get them off the edge with a throw and follow it up with a PKT to PKT combo, and it killed off the side. It looks like the direction of the trajectory is based on where the PKT hits the opposing character.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
when i played a 4 player free for all tournament last week, i had so many kills with my up smash. One time they were all fighting in one place and i up smashed there KILLING ALL 3 OF THEM!! afterwards i yelled out triple kill.

tehbeef

Smash Rookie
I think it is the strongest one but I haven't played brawl enough to assure that
Ivysaur's is the strongest. Lucas' is the second strongest (from data gathered by someone, can't remember who, on these boards). Honestly - Ivysaur is just and anti-air monster. You couldn't possibly expect even Lucas' uAir to be better than Ivysaur's. Plus Ivysaur's uAir is MUCH faster than Lucas', so you can argue all you like whether or not is actually is stronger, but at the very least you can't at all deny that Ivysaur's is much more useful and spamable.

Deeja

Smash Cadet
Ivysaur's is the strongest. Lucas' is the second strongest (from data gathered by someone, can't remember who, on these boards). Honestly - Ivysaur is just and anti-air monster. You couldn't possibly expect even Lucas' uAir to be better than Ivysaur's. Plus Ivysaur's uAir is MUCH faster than Lucas', so you can argue all you like whether or not is actually is stronger, but at the very least you can't at all deny that Ivysaur's is much more useful and spamable.

You know this thread is about his up smash and not his up air... right?

Levitas

the moon
Ivysaur's is actually the strongest. and he is talking about the usmash.

I also want to reiterate the point that he isn't doing a needle pull. He does that in one of his victory poses, but not for his usmash.

Trozz

Smash Ace
This attack:

I still think it's the best u-smash in the game (in terms of damage, AoE, and knockback). It's harder to land Ivysaur's u-smash.

Top Bottom