• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Welcome to the Olimar Video Compendium!

NC- Echo

NC Bi-weekly 9/20/08

RSD

DanGR

Protoman10

Shrinkray21

Mr. X

BlackWaltzX
Atmosk
Weruop

KillerSOS

Dabuz
Feel free to discuss the videos in this thread; as they are located here, so should be the discussion. I'll be organizing the videos better as more come in, give it time. :)

IllidR

Smash Champion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v2RB7Fj9g6U
purple has good knockback, pikmin also grow when Olimar grabs a mushroom
Alright, it's been added to the list. Keep the videos of Olimar pouring in.

[*]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_mwpRSgSA (CPU Olimar on a crazy-made stage)

[*]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_mwpRSgSA (FFA on Pictochat)

These two are the same URL. Just thought I'd let you know. Nice job on compiling Pikmin & Olimar Gameplay! Still waiting to see some Godly Throws though! They're definitely the character I'm looking forwarding to playing most in Brawl.
Thanks for telling me that, I've got it fixed now!

Also, is there any chance we can get this thread stickied?

Mjrn

Smash Rookie
Another Subspace Emissary video, and this one's a match between him, Pikachu (lol), Dedede and Diddy on Corneria (omg their winning pose <3)

Nice list, btw. :) I can't wait to play as the adorable but brave captain.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Awesome!!

Pikmin pluck... is so fast...faster than we imagined I think.... wow.

His final smash is pure awesome. I cant wait to use him! Why must a wait for March? Why??

IllidR

Smash Champion
Awesome!!

Pikmin pluck... is so fast...faster than we imagined I think.... wow.

His final smash is pure awesome. I cant wait to use him! Why must a wait for March? Why??
His Final Smash isn't what amazes me so much. It seems as if you need to hit with your rocket on the way down in order to do substantial damage, and we don't know yet if you can aim its trajectory. Plus, I probably won't be playing with final smashes enabled.

Florida

イーグランツ
So, we know that Olimar starts the match out with three (random?) Pikmin. When he loses a life, he restarts with no Pikmin at all-- though, this isn't a problem, as his "Pikmin pluck" is insanely quick! Olimar is turning out to be a quick, decent-powered, and a fun-as-hell character to play as. Really, I'm very glad with how they worked him into the game. His final smash is one of the bests in the game. Not only does it relate to his game of origin (which appears to be rare for some of the newer characters...), but it is also powerful, and just plainly awesome.

Thank you for the videos, IllidR. Good thread.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Someone fooling around in traing mode. It's recent...hope it hasn't been posted before. By the way, is there a seperate thread for discussing these videos?
Well, all the videos will be compiled here, but feel free to discuss anything in any of these videos because it is afterall a good location to center your opinions on what is going on in the footage.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
Thank you IllidR, for giving me new faith in this human race. I am forever in your debt. (Basically I'm saying nice thread.)

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Lol @ Youko and his schmexy voice. ; )

Mkays; so I was noticing that Olimar's Pikmin Chain seems to have a good amount of knockback. The video I'm talking about in particular is the team match of Olimar and Pika vs D3 and Diddy on Corneria. Olimar upBs D3 and he goes flying almost half-way across Corneria at roughly 100%. D3 is one of the heaviest characters in Brawl...so could the Pikmin chain be a viable kill move? And I wonder if the Pikmin at the end of the chain has anything to do with it...one last thing before I end the post: with the exception of auto-seeking edges, I've only seen Olimar's upB shoot out at 45 degree angles upwards. Can anyone else say with certainty that this attack is aimable? I can imagine that it'd be fairly limited if you couldn't aim it...or if it didn't auto-seek the closest opponent or something.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Lol @ Youko and his schmexy voice. ; )

Mkays; so I was noticing that Olimar's Pikmin Chain seems to have a good amount of knockback. The video I'm talking about in particular is the team match of Olimar and Pika vs D3 and Diddy on Corneria. Olimar upBs D3 and he goes flying almost half-way across Corneria at roughly 100%. D3 is one of the heaviest characters in Brawl...so could the Pikmin chain be a viable kill move? And I wonder if the Pikmin at the end of the chain has anything to do with it...one last thing before I end the post: with the exception of auto-seeking edges, I've only seen Olimar's upB shoot out at 45 degree angles upwards. Can anyone else say with certainty that this attack is aimable? I can imagine that it'd be fairly limited if you couldn't aim it...or if it didn't auto-seek the closest opponent or something.
I noticed that with the Pikmin Chain too. It had some good knockback and I immediately saw some pontential in there. Even if it only goes at the 45 degree angle as seen, which by what we've seen in the videos seems to be true because there's been no hint at it being aimed or a homing attack, it could still be pretty useful. Say, someone trying to jump over your head to get back on the stage, someone on a platform above, trying to drop down on you. It wouldn't be the best attack BUT it could be useful in some opportune situations.

Mjrn

Smash Rookie
Um, I found another video. It is actually labeled as Wolf gameplay but the first match has two Olimars fighting him in Frigate Orpheon via Wi-Fi.

(The ending is so hilarious! :laugh:)

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Haha! I agree, excellent ending to that video.

Hm...if you used the upB out of your shield that could put a stop to several approaches. So yeah, oprotunistic attack, but assuming you've got a decent supply of Pikmin, it's looking to be one of his better moves already.

And hey, I was mulling this idea around in my head earlier: Peach can platform-cancel her turnip pluck to shorten lag. Do you think Olimar can platform/edge cancel his plucking lag (if he has any to begin with)? It seems like edge-canceled Pikmin plucking would be useful for building your army while on the defensive (trying to escape your opponent).

IllidR

Smash Champion
Hm...if you used the upB out of your shield that could put a stop to several approaches. So yeah, oprotunistic attack, but assuming you've got a decent supply of Pikmin, it's looking to be one of his better moves already.
This sounds like a very good thing to use out of a shield, yes. It does seem with our knowledge thus far as a very promising attack.

Rhyme said:
And hey, I was mulling this idea around in my head earlier: Peach can platform-cancel her turnip pluck to shorten lag. Do you think Olimar can platform/edge cancel his plucking lag (if he has any to begin with)? It seems like edge-canceled Pikmin plucking would be useful for building your army while on the defensive (trying to escape your opponent).
I'm not exactly sure how this would work and if it would work. Platform cancelling does seem like a way that would be implimented more likely than edge-cancelled Pikmin plucking. Of course, even without these, it shouldn't be very hard to fill up your Pikmin army, the pluck is extremely fast, around one second for all six pikmin.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Hopefully Olimar's is one of the better shield attacks. It might, like Link's, be one of the better ones period.

Estimating 10 frames per Pikmin might not seem like much right now, but when you're talking about being chased down by opponents like Falcon, Pit, Sonic...every frame counts. It may not seem like much of a weakness, but even in strength there are improvements to be made, and any little touch-up can make a difference in high levels of play.

To give a perfect example: Sheik can shieldgrab Falco if Falco does anything but doubleshine her shield. No other character in the game can shieldgrab that quickly, only Samus's and Bowser's Shield upB can come close. Point is that there's only a 2 or 3 frame window of opprotunity, and it's a prime example of how every frame can make a difference.

Olimar's pluck might be quick now, but if you could make it three, four, five frames faster, then wouldn't you do it?

ZelgadisA027123

Smash Cadet
Another interesting application I can see for using his up B out of a shield is grappling higher ledges. On the video of P&O in an FFA on Corneria, at 1:50, he can be seen using his up B to home onto the wing underneath him. Do you guys think this property would carry over to his up B when used on the ground? If you were underneath the wing, would using your Pikmin Chain pull you straight to it? If so, I could see using this out of a shield to elegantly hit enemies away and escape - all in one move! On top of that, it would come out at an angle other than 45, meaning you could catch your opponent by surprise! If this pans out, I'm definitely creating a stage with ledges all over the place to take advantage of Spidermar!

What do you guys think?

IllidR

Smash Champion
Hopefully Olimar's is one of the better shield attacks. It might, like Link's, be one of the better ones period.

Estimating 10 frames per Pikmin might not seem like much right now, but when you're talking about being chased down by opponents like Falcon, Pit, Sonic...every frame counts. It may not seem like much of a weakness, but even in strength there are improvements to be made, and any little touch-up can make a difference in high levels of play.

To give a perfect example: Sheik can shieldgrab Falco if Falco does anything but doubleshine her shield. No other character in the game can shieldgrab that quickly, only Samus's and Bowser's Shield upB can come close. Point is that there's only a 2 or 3 frame window of opprotunity, and it's a prime example of how every frame can make a difference.

Olimar's pluck might be quick now, but if you could make it three, four, five frames faster, then wouldn't you do it?
Oh, well definitely if I had the opportunity to increase Olimar's speed by just a couple frames I would do it, as it would certainly help against those faster characters you listed because speed pretty much is everything in this game. Olimar already seems to be one of the faster characters and when sped up just that bit he could prove to be amazing.

ZelgadisA027123 said:
Another interesting application I can see for using his up B out of a shield is grappling higher ledges. On the video of P&O in an FFA on Corneria, at 1:50, he can be seen using his up B to home onto the wing underneath him. Do you guys think this property would carry over to his up B when used on the ground? If you were underneath the wing, would using your Pikmin Chain pull you straight to it? If so, I could see using this out of a shield to elegantly hit enemies away and escape - all in one move! On top of that, it would come out at an angle other than 45, meaning you could catch your opponent by surprise! If this pans out, I'm definitely creating a stage with ledges all over the place to take advantage of Spidermar!

What do you guys think?
I see what you're saying, it's when Olimar is up in the air and Pikmin chains to the edge of Corneria below him. This seems like it could be a useful move for both escape to the ledge and attacking as you said. Maybe you can to edge-guard an opponent trying to get to the ledge just below the stage jump above and chain grab down to the ledge just before he grabs, effectively knocking him back and keeping you from danger of jumping down after him. And also, I always loved the idea of Olimar Spidermaning from platform to platform.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
IllidR: Olimar looked fast to you? Maybe he moves fast relative to his tiny character model, but I didn't take not of any excess in speed. >.>

Zel: Haha, now there's something I'd like to see! Good ol' Spidermar in full force. Too bad the stage would be banzored immediately...

Pkaz01

Smash Cadet
Pit in Classic mode VS olimar. Starts on 5:31. It's a CP but it does better than any olimar I have watched play and shows that olimar can do just fine in 1v1 matches. Pit was owning it up until he reached olimar and ran into trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFRMWDt99JM

ZelgadisA027123

Smash Cadet
Pit in Classic mode VS olimar. Starts on 5:31. It's a CP but it does better than any olimar I have watched play and shows that olimar can do just fine in 1v1 matches. Pit was owning it up until he reached olimar and ran into trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFRMWDt99JM
Big Olimar is Big. I didn't see anything too amazing, but you're right in that most Olimar videos are pretty sub-par.

IllidR

Smash Champion
IllidR: Olimar looked fast to you? Maybe he moves fast relative to his tiny character model, but I didn't take not of any excess in speed. >.>
I don't know, from my observations he seemed pretty fast with his moves and his speed. I'm not saying he's the fastest character around but he does contain some speed.

Florida

イーグランツ
Olimar is fast in different ways, I suppose. As a runner, his speed is rather decent, but his aerial game isn't all too great. Also, almost all of his moves have no start-up or ending lag...or at least, there isn't much of it.

Though, while we're on the subject of quickness: **** @ pikmin pluck.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Olimar is fast in different ways, I suppose. As a runner, his speed is rather decent, but his aerial game isn't all too great. Also, almost all of his moves have no start-up or ending lag...or at least, there isn't much of it.

Though, while we're on the subject of quickness: **** @ pikmin pluck.
Ooh, well I didn't see too much of his aerial game in action, so if you say he isn't the speediest I'll have to believe you. I guess I might have misjudged Olimar from my sheer excitement of seeing him in play, like it was said before he's an average stats character.

And his Pikmin Pluck is soo much faster than expected, love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom