• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Distant Planet! Cower, mere mortals, in the face of its sheer, unadulterated AWESOME!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
With the blessing of the great Youko, I hereby declare the Distant Planet thread under new management!

This stage is unbelievably awesome, replacing Smashville as my favorite stage to date. Just looking at it brings back fond memories of plundering the Pikmin world with the help of my trusty band of enslaved plant creatures.

They even have Onions and Pellets that you can use to spawn items! Utterly Brilliant.

Great water effects make rain one of the more cool stage hazards.

Bulborbs!!! Sakuari really knows how to appease the Pikmin fans! The style makes the scene look straight from the Pikmin games.

Wow. Dedede is pretty dumb.

I say this is by far the best stage ever. Use this thread to discuss how much this stage rocks your world.

EDIT: Here's a great video of Distant Planet: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gj6QT2kuT2M

The second match in this vid takes place on Distant Planet... and someone gets eaten by the Bulborb! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgm_MgK8oU

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
O great I liked this stage, but now Wiseguy made a thread about it Sakurai will most likely take it out.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
O great I liked this stage, but now Wiseguy made a thread about it Sakurai will most likely take it out.
Shhhhhhhh... don't give him any ideas! ;)

Great thread!

I wish that they implemented something like it rains depending on your weather.
It would be a great challenge for versus play.
Woah, that would be intense! I know Madden '07 has that feature, changing the in-game weather based on the Wii's weather channel data. That's a pretty great idea.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Yeah, but what exactly is this stage? Is it just one big stage or is it a mini scrolling stage?

IllidR

Smash Champion
Glad a new thread was made for this stage, it is amazing and most definitely deserving of a one line post saying "discuss!" Nice job Wiseguy, I am definitely looking foward to this stage and all its quirks.

Also, not to be hating, but you say in your caption of the last picture "wow, Dedede is pretty dumb. But Olimar is sitting in the Bulborbs mouth with his Pikmin. =X

Vali

Smash Ace
Notice how the leftmost platform is shown in the rain picture significantly lower than in the original picture compared to both the middle platform and the vine floor. Suggests to me, since King DeDeDe is perched on the edge, that the leaves may be affected by being stood on and it leads to the possibility that heavier characters will lower them further than light ones.

*Theory time!*

Also the stage is bigger than the first section shown. The branch which Olimar is aiming towards in the 4th picture will link to the section shown in the 2nd picture, as it is clearly shown that there is both a bulborb eye in the bottom right of screenshot 2 and the branch in the background is clearly that of the one depicted in the top right of screenshot 5. Sorry if this has already been pointed out before.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Why...why The Walk Of Ledge! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
When I first saw this stage I was actually pretty disappointed. Later when I got back from school, I looked at the stage again and noticed how original it was. My favorite part of the stage though, would have to be the monsters in the background. It's really cool how they will just come up to the battle scene. I'm assuming they will walk right towards you (from your point of view).

PK.STARS*

Smash Rookie
This stage is pretty cool.

but will the creatures in the background move around the place?

i'd say its possible, since a lot of brawls stages have changing/ moving backgrounds.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I added a link to a video showing a few seconds of Disant Planet gameplay footage to the first post. I'd encourage you to check it out (if you haven't already seen it).

Glad a new thread was made for this stage, it is amazing and most definitely deserving of a one line post saying "discuss!" Nice job Wiseguy, I am definitely looking foward to this stage and all its quirks.

Also, not to be hating, but you say in your caption of the last picture "wow, Dedede is pretty dumb. But Olimar is sitting in the Bulborbs mouth with his Pikmin. =X
I don't see Olimar in there, just his Pikmin. Regardless, I'd like to think that a battle hardened veteran like Olimar wouldn't jump into the waiting mouth of a bulborb. He was likely smashed in by an oponent, if anything.

Notice how the leftmost platform is shown in the rain picture significantly lower than in the original picture compared to both the middle platform and the vine floor. Suggests to me, since King DeDeDe is perched on the edge, that the leaves may be affected by being stood on and it leads to the possibility that heavier characters will lower them further than light ones.
Sweet. So, they are like the tree branch in Melee's Onnet Stage.

*Theory time!*

Also the stage is bigger than the first section shown. The branch which Olimar is aiming towards in the 4th picture will link to the section shown in the 2nd picture, as it is clearly shown that there is both a bulborb eye in the bottom right of screenshot 2 and the branch in the background is clearly that of the one depicted in the top right of screenshot 5. Sorry if this has already been pointed out before.
Yeah, I think you are right about that. I find the that the stage is so seemless in terms of the background's appearance that its a bit difficult to tell such things.

Why...why The Walk Of Ledge! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I don't mind walk off ledges, personally.

When I first saw this stage I was actually pretty disappointed. Later when I got back from school, I looked at the stage again and noticed how original it was. My favorite part of the stage though, would have to be the monsters in the background. It's really cool how they will just come up to the battle scene. I'm assuming they will walk right towards you (from your point of view).
Agreed. I love the enemies in the Pikmin series (particularily the bulborbs) so they really amke this stage for me.

Is anyone else reminded of Little Big Planet by this stage?
A bit, I suppose. Most LBP stages shown look alot like the Pikmin style.

This stage is pretty cool.

but will the creatures in the background move around the place?

i'd say its possible, since a lot of brawls stages have changing/ moving backgrounds.
I would bank on it. They will probably also react to things like weather changes.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I don't see Olimar in there, just his Pikmin. Regardless, I'd like to think that a battle hardened veteran like Olimar wouldn't jump into the waiting mouth of a bulborb. He was likely smashed in by an oponent, if anything.
No no, he's definitely in there. He's behind the Pikmin, you can see him slightly. How do we make him seem more heroic here? Simple, Olimar is there on purpose. He is going in the belly of the Bulborb and going to kill him from the inside. What a brave warrior our Olimar is!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
No no, he's definitely in there. He's behind the Pikmin, you can see him slightly. How do we make him seem more heroic here? Simple, Olimar is there on purpose. He is going in the belly of the Bulborb and going to kill him from the inside. What a brave warrior our Olimar is!
Makes sense to me. Olimar is as fearless as they come. Dedede, however...

And I've gotta say, looking at all the stages revealed thus far on the Dojo its clear that the Brawl team has truly outdone themselves. Distant Planet? Smashville? Mushroomy Kingdom? These stages are all gold! Though I still think Distant Planet is my favorite.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Whats so good about this stage? It 3 tiny platforms where you can stand on, a main platform that gets washed up frequently, and a monster you can stand on. Trowing pellets to collect items is a waste of time, and that bouncy platform could have been a way better main platform.

If they'd only make that bouncy platform not bouncy...you could actually fight here. But you now you gotta jump from platform to platform, or being on the side hill. I see this as a better Yoshi's island.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Whats so good about this stage? It 3 tiny platforms where you can stand on, a main platform that gets washed up frequently, and a monster you can stand on. Trowing pellets to collect items is a waste of time, and that bouncy platform could have been a way better main platform.

If they'd only make that bouncy platform not bouncy...you could actually fight here. But you now you gotta jump from platform to platform, or being on the side hill. I see this as a better Yoshi's island.
Why? Because the rain, the bulborbs, the springy platform, the pellets and onions all add up to an incredibly unique stage that is utterly true to the Pikmin series. With this be good for tournament matchups? Likely not. But I can almost guarantee it will be fun to play on, and that's what makes me excited about it. Besides, there are plenty of bare-bones, hazard free stages to play on.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
While the stage is great and all, I'm not too keen on the music selection thus far. Aside from the theme from the Dojo and Olimar's End of Day tune (which ROCK!), the songs are kinda weak. Still, one of my favorites, definitely.

tanfastic

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE this stage! last night I was playing on it and smashed Dedede, Fox, and Mario right into the Bulborbs mouth... then jumped in myself :D

Invader Phantom

Smash Rookie
I like this stage.^^

Bur it's kinda weird when you play a hardcore match (like Ganondorf vs Bowser vs Snake vs Wolf) and the music is "Ai no Uta" or "Tane no Uta"... xD

posh

Smash Rookie
best stage everrrrrrrrrrr

im sooo sick of ppl sayin that it's the worst stage in the game

Primetime84

Smash Cadet
In terms of interactivity or staying true to the Pikmin game it's good. But other than that I don't like it at all, hopefully as i play on it more it'll get better.

Top Bottom