• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai's Surprise: Sticker Shocker

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai unloads yet another gameplay surprise, and it's....stickers?

From Mic_128

Well, I don't know about you, but todays update came as a total suprise to me. Remember the stickers, the latest collectable in Brawl? What discussions theyve caused. They were thought to perhaps have replaced trophies (becfore they were announced) as the new collectable, then there was the debates about them being usless....and that was about it really. But anyway, useless they aren't, as today Sakurai announces that each sticker gives a minor upgrade to your character of choice.

Each sticker has a minor upgrade (as seen above), wether it's extra damage from leg attacks, from slashing attacks, to increasing your resistance to knockback, and there are even stickers that can only be used by certain characters. Feels almost like a real RPG. Anyway, you start off with a blank trophy base.

Then you go nuts, sticking as many stickers on as you can. Careful of the placement though, as if you stick a sticker in a bad spot it could make it so you can't stick as many stickers as you'd want to.

You can only put down one sticker per powerup. For example, you can't stack up many "Launch Resistance" stickers to stop you from going anywhere. On the highest sticker placed down will work. A general rule of thumb is the bigger the sticker, the better the powerup. You can choose to either buff the already food stats of a character, or fix a glaring weakness in that character. The choice is yours.

Be warned though, as once you've stuck a sticker down, it's stuck. You can move it around a little on the trophy, but if you pull it off, it's gone, never to be stuck again. Sakurai assures us though that this isn't going to be a problem.

"So while removed stickers are gone forever, you’ll be getting stickers left and right as you play—you’ll probably find that sticker you lost again. And, if you only use stickers you have doubles of, you’ll never lose one from your collection. Plus, as I’ve said before, the higher you set the difficulty in The Subspace Emissary, the better your chance of running across rare stickers."

Just be warned, as in Melee when you died you lost coins, in Subspace, if you die and get Game Over, you'll lose stickers. Half of what you've earned, to be exact.

And before you run off, one final thing from Sakurai.

"Remember that stickers are only of use within The Subspace Emissary. Sorry to say, but they’ll be of no use to you in standard brawls."

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't like this, believe it or not. I'm probably not going to use it unless I have too, but meh, added depth for the win I suppose : /

Oh, this reminds me too much of Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Intresting. One of the first updates most of the people hated (myself included) turned into... well... something cool and interesting like this. Kinda reminds me of Megaman Battle Network.

Percon

Smash Lord
A big thing I'm wondering is if characters shown as a sticker are deconfirmed or not. The "biggest" non-confirmed character as a sticker is Bowser Jr... so I don't know. A lot of people were expecting him.

Also, who is this...?

The one with x4? He's the only sticker I can't identify...

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai says it won't be used in "standard brawls" hopefully there is a special mode where you can play with the "power-ups" you have on them. I really liked this update, it was something new and it adds a whole new dimension to gameplay.

If you notice in one of the pictures he shows stickers, one of them has a black border...weird. maybe it means it's rare?

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o

notice the stone tower on the right. My guess is that first square was not the whole thing, it must move farther to the left and to the right :)

I kinda like this, it reminds me of JUS, trying to figure out what are the best help komas when you can't read japneses to well :psycho:

I liek this update though, its interesting

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It is very JSS/JUS-esque, if only for the fact that the effects are like the single komas. I guess the difference is that you get bigger effects for bigger stickers, while in those game's you'd get assits or playable characters. Still, it really was unexpected, and should be something really fun.

TehCadenzilla

Smash Apprentice
A big thing I'm wondering is if characters shown as a sticker are deconfirmed or not. The "biggest" non-confirmed character as a sticker is Bowser Jr... so I don't know. A lot of people were expecting him.

Also, who is this...?

i think its leon from starfox

IllidR

Smash Champion
I really like this update. The idea of being able to power up your characters has always been appealing to me, and now that we know its through stickers what a better way to make them useful.

I'm glad it's only in the subspace emissary though.

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!

So this is what Sakurai was talking about a while back when he said "there's a way to power up against these enemies" or something along those lines?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

Notice the 3 % Clear after 1 level is done. That means SE likely has THIRTY THREE LEVELS.

OMG this update is so full of win it's not even funny. Stickers are no longer some useless, tacked-on update. They're yet ANOTHER new, innovative feature to this series.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Pretty interesting update. However, I don't even know if I'll be going out of my way to add stickers to my characters. I'm sure their standard form is enough for me to beat SSE and unlock all the characters. And after that, I won't be going back (much).

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'm guessing things are gonna get rough in Subspace. WHy else would there be sticker powerups?

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
It's rather a stretch to claim thirty-three levels right of the bat, for two reasons:

1) Pre-Skyworld, you've already gone through all the events at the Stadium (Mario fights Kirby, fighting the Primids, fighting Petey). That's a lot squeezed in that meager 3%.

2) This Image shows the cursor on Skyworld with completion at 83%. Another theory states that the percent show is how much of the level is completed, not the entirety of the Subspace Emissary.

It's really to early to tell at this point.

Sola

Smash Rookie
Also, who is this...?

I am guessing that is Leon from Star Fox.

If anyone is curious as to which sticker is which:
Going in order, from left to right, then top to bottom...

Screenshot 1:

(Page 1)
The Hero's Shield from Wind Waker and related games.
??? The person with a white and blue hat, and a green shirt.
Joshua from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
Koopa Troopa from Super Mario Strikers (GC).

(Page 2)
Dr. Shrunk from Animal Crossing Wild World (DS only).
Myrrh from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
Celebi, first appeared in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal.
Waluigi from Mario sports games.

Screenshot 2:

(Page 1)

Pingle from Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (it's the pink legs in the top left.)
Unknown character (brown sandals and straps, only feet visible.)
Acro the Whale from Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
Katrina from Animal Crossing (both.)

(Page 2 is cut off.)

Screenshot 3:

(List on the right)

Brewster from Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS only.)
Tortimer from Animal Crossing (both.)
Green Paratroopa from Paper Mario (many Mario games.)
Gracie from Animal Crossing (both.)
Gulliver from Animal Crossing (both, shown as in Wild World here.)
Leon? from Star Fox 64 (and further games, shown in more recent model.)
Goombella from Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door.
Gordo from Kirby series?
Harriet from Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS only.)

Screenshot 4:

Kirby's Cook ability.
Xananab from DK Jungle Climber.

Screenshot 5:

Kirby's Cook ability.
Cell Phone power from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror.
Lightning Bolt powerup from Super Mario Kart games.
Shiba Inu (I think?) from Nintendogs.
Ana (of Kat & Ana) from Wario Ware, Inc. games.
A player character from Animal Crossing: Wild World.
Banana Peel item from Super Mario Kart games.
Xananab from DK Jungle Climber.
Red and Yellow Pill from Dr. Mario games.
Hookshot from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Screenshot 6:

Banana Bunch from Donkey Kong Country games and a few others.
Volvoice from Electroplankton.
Link in Deku Scrub form from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Andy from Advance Wars games (art here is from Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising.)
King Dodongo from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Toadsworth from Super Mario Sunshine and other games.
Mona from Wario Ware, Inc. games.
Jimmy T. from Wario Ware, Inc. games.
The "Iron Tiger," Baba's machine from F-Zero GX.

Screenshot 8 has nothing new, and I can't tell what is in Screenshot 10.

If anyone can fill in the blanks or correct any mistakes I made, do say so.

Kaelar

Smash Rookie
A big thing I'm wondering is if characters shown as a sticker are deconfirmed or not.
If so, then Cook Kirby must be deconf-- oh, wait. ;)

At any rate, this is far and away the most unique power-up system I've ever seen. Only a total nutcase or an unparalleled creative genius could have thought this up... At times, it's hard to tell which of those Sakurai is. :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pretty interesting update. However, I don't even know if I'll be going out of my way to add stickers to my characters. I'm sure their standard form is enough for me to beat SSE and unlock all the characters. And after that, I won't be going back (much).
You can't really assume that you know...unless you go easy mode the first time around.

I'm wondering whether or not I want to go to Extreme the first time I pop the game in for this...

Crystallion

Smash Ace
This is great! I already liked the stickers when they were announced for the first time, but this update just takes the cake! THANK YOU DEVELOPERS!
(and it certainly feels RPG-esque o_O the game fits into so many categories now)

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
This is made 100% pure fresh win. From concetrate.

No so useless anymore huh?

Smash Community: Stickers is teh suxor!!
Sarkurai: *SMACK*

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Great update! This whole weeks been full of great updates besides the news of the delay for us and japan. I was really not happy with the first update about stickers but this makes them fun and useful. I can't wait.

Rash

Smash Ace
It's nice to see that stickers are being put to good use and aren't just the "poor man's trophies" that people had previously thought. The implementation is good too, having to stick the stickers on a trophy base.

The creativity in this game is impressive.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
OMG a Rpg feat into Subspace emissary! I swear we talked about powering up feats as a pure joke on some thread, but hell, no one saw that coming I believe. This is Sakurai gone crazy. :laugh:
Well, at least normal battles are out of this, thank goodness. So great update, as it will only add to the single gameplay.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The stickers might not be of much use on the easier levels, but if you play on the harder skill levels, they may come in handy.

I do remember that if you increase the skill level, your handicap tends to be weaker, making it a lot easier for enemies to KO you at low damage percentages.

Stalky

Smash Cadet
Ugh, I hate RPGs. I won't be using these unless I absolutely have to; meaning, if I have to complete SSE on harder difficulties to unlock characters/stages/game-related options.

I have to say, although it's not my kind of thing, I'm bloody impressed Sakurai is squeezing so much out of this game. You could have handed it to me for £40 months and months ago and I would have been ecstatic. That perfect score from Famitsu is looking more and more well deserved.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I think my Brawl's gone craaaaazy.

Just when I think we've seen every unpredictable feature, we get thrown for a loop once more! What's in store next week?

"Did you think those stickers were just for collecting?

Well, it seems you thought wrong!"

CURSE YOO SAKURAI AND YOUR MINDGAMES!!!!!!!!!!!11 XD

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
An interesting update. It'd be interesting, having all of these power-ups, really brings this into a slight rpg like setting. you got the Dodongo sticker! +16 fire damage.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
What's the deal with the abundance of Animal Crossing stickers? Is Sakurai, like, in love with them or something? I swear to God, half of the stickers in this update are from Animal Crossing.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
I take back my comment about the snake FS update. Now this game is a action adventure fighting fps puzzle platformer rpg.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
i was hoping thered be a sticker mode for multiplayer... not something thats required but something optional, i would have liked that very much but its pretty cool either way.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
i was hoping thered be a sticker mode for multiplayer... not something thats required but something optional, i would have liked that very much but its pretty cool either way.
no I really don't want it to be in VS mode it would change to much of the game that we know and love.

Top Bottom