• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Confirmed!

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/sheik.html

As of January 16th, 2008, Sheik has been 100% confirmed to be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Her character seems to have changed only slightly, in appearance, her moves seem to be exactly the same, and she is still Zelda's Down+B special, however considered a different character. Also, she shares the same Final Smash as Zelda, Light Arrow. Courtesy of Smash Bros. Dojo!!

I don't know about you...but i'm STOKED.

Sheik's Special Moves:

Standard Special: Needle Storm
Side Special: Chain
Up Special: Vanish
Down Special: Transform
Final Smash: Light Arrow

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Gotta say...
That bridge of Eldin screen is sweet O:

Still, not an impressive change =/
Impa's dagger is a nice addition though.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Yeah, she's officially called by Sakurai himself female. Even if his words aren't official, his game is. So Shiek in terms of SSBB until further notice must referred to as a female.

Anyways... talk about a nice model. Really well detailed.

I was kind of looking for more dramatic changes in Zelda though, and I know I can't say for certain, but it seems that Zelda players will remain few, while Shiek steals the show, and the tournie money.

:034:

Smash Hero
Okay, she does look awesome.

Can the mods give us a seperate Sheik board though? Don't want the Zelda board flooded with Sheik topics.

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
Okay, she does look awesome.

Can the mods give us a seperate Sheik board though? Don't want the Zelda board flooded with Sheik topics.
Yeah I didn't really know where to put it, but since it's considered Zelda's down special, I thought it would be the best place, at least, for now.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, she's officially called by Sakurai himself female. Even if his words aren't official, his game is. So Shiek in terms of SSBB until further notice must referred to as a female.
Sheik = Male.
Zelda = Female.
Therefore,
Zelda-Disguised-as-Sheik = Female.

Q.E.D.

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=137420

You're some hours late. Also, a Sheik board will be implemented in a few hours so you Sheik-loving idiots (some of you, you know who you are... or not) can appropriately flood it with Sheik-based threads.
Yeah but that Sheik thread is regarding some uncertain leakage through a magazine or game guide or something, while this thread is more directed towards Sakurai's 100% confirmation towards Sheik being a part of Zelda.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The provided screen of a never-before-seen Sheik model was pretty solid confirmation in itself. The point remains that people are already flooding the Zelda forum with Sheik threads when they were specifically told not to.

burrito

Smash Lord
Hooray, Sheiks back. Although I don't care for her much, I like what they did with the ponytail.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'm not here to ridecule the Zelda fans or whatever, I'm just here to say "I told you so" a little. This update confirms that continuity never really matters in Smash Bros, and that the characters are not the same as their games selves, they represent them. Zelda represents Zelda in general, so she could have even had Tetra.

Also, why are people only just realising Sheik was a woman? We've known this since Melee came out! It was on her trophy and everything! >.>;

Anyway, I'm not a Sheik mainer, or a Zelda/Sheik user at all, all I wanted to do was prove Sheik's chances, my work here is done :p

As for the split of boards, I can't say I'm for or against it. The problem is, it kind of disallows discussion on their balance, and who knows, in Brawl they may be more dependant on one another.

I guess it's the strictness of "No Sheik related discussion/threads" here, I mean i know it's not completely disallowed, but if you ask me, promoting discussion surrounding both of them is a good thing.

Without argument, forums are a boring place. :lol: I usually don't agree with that, but you can't deny there is some truth to it. Afterall, argument and discussion are part of what makes groundbreaking discoveries or changes ;-)

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
well the noob legend sheik is most likely going to be nerfed i thought the same thing to since i also main sheik. since these characters got balanced or nerfed fox,bowser,Kirby,Mario,peach(pretty much almost everyone i think it will happen to sheik, but look on the good side if she is harder to use or nerfed to were things are harder no one can call sheik cheap and it will be more of a challenge to use her.

I'm not here to ridecule the Zelda fans or whatever, I'm just here to say "I told you so" a little. This update confirms that continuity never really matters in Smash Bros, and that the characters are not the same as their games selves, they represent them. Zelda represents Zelda in general, so she could have even had Tetra.

Also, why are people only just realising Sheik was a woman? We've known this since Melee came out! It was on her trophy and everything! >.>;

Anyway, I'm not a Sheik mainer, or a Zelda/Sheik user at all, all I wanted to do was prove Sheik's chances, my work here is done :p

As for the split of boards, I can't say I'm for or against it. The problem is, it kind of disallows discussion on their balance, and who knows, in Brawl they may be more dependant on one another.

I guess it's the strictness of "No Sheik related discussion/threads" here, I mean i know it's not completely disallowed, but if you ask me, promoting discussion surrounding both of them is a good thing.

Without argument, forums are a boring place. :lol: I usually don't agree with that, but you can't deny there is some truth to it. Afterall, argument and discussion are part of what makes groundbreaking discoveries or changes ;-)

i actually had the same argument and debated a lot with this in mind, i also read a lot of your post in the past and completely agreed as well, but it looks like you beat me to the punch in saying i told you so lol but im going to do it anyways lol IN YOUR FACE NON BELIEVERS!!! lol

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Continuity may not matter in Smash Bros., but we Zelda fans still find this implementation of Sheik somewhat abhorrent AND aberrant. Most Zelda fans in general dislike the rabid Sheik fans. As Crispy Fries put it: "I'm not looking forward to the rabid Sheik-ers flocking here to shun Zelda some more :("

Promoting discussion surrounding both of them only serves to make finding specific information about either one of them inconvenient. As using only one character is to the player's choice, liking and using both is also to the player's choice. They have unique and separate movesets, and they can be used independently of one another, so there is no real option besides giving Sheik a separate character forum.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
Ryoko Yaksa i don't believe every sheik fan is going to shun zelda, i think it can be a new start for possibly using both the only reason most ppl with use one over the other is if one of them was not usable (especially in tourny) and since zelda has a large shot to be a lot more better than that of her melee counter part i think the fandom will even out i know that im going to use both regardless (out of character loyalty)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
But we don't know how they play in Brawl. Sure it'll be similar to Melee, but Sheik may be nerfed and "not-broken", in which case the boards would do good to be merged back together. This is the Brawl character board, not the Melee one, so I don't see a reason to believe, however likely, that Sheik and Zelda can be used in the same independant way as they were in Melee. Sakurai has had lots of time to make the game, and has clearly felt free to make delays when he needed them, there is a possibility Sheik and Zelda could live up to their original promise.

I'm not a rabid Sheik fan, and TBH I havn't seen any actually shun Zelda, just say they use Sheik. If there was a bit of a role reversal, Zelda fans could be the ones shunning Sheik fans, which I have seen on this board in the past, with all the "obviously Sheik won't return *facepalm*" talk.

And if a player likes and uses both, then 2 seperate boards would make it harder. I'm sure Sheik will be nerfed, but I'm still not sure if they will work together as intended. You may go ahead and split the board into 2 for Zelda and Sheik, but then you'd only have to consider merging the 2 back together in 2 weeks when the first impressions from Japan come in.

EDIT: And I say again, Sheik was always a woman, sure it's more obvious now, but gawd. :p

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
But we don't know how they play in Brawl. Sure it'll be similar to Melee, but Sheik may be nerfed and "not-broken", in which case the boards would do good to be merged back together. This is the Brawl character board, not the Melee one, so I don't see a reason to believe, however likely, that Sheik and Zelda can be used in the same independant way as they were in Melee. Sakurai has had lots of time to make the game, and has clearly felt free to make delays when he needed them, there is a possibility Sheik and Zelda could live up to their original promise.
Perhaps the transformation is on a timer, much like Pokemon Trainer. Wouldn't that create a balance between using Zelda and Sheik? Sounds like an easy solution to me.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, splitting them would not make it harder for Zelda+Sheik users, it would make it easier. As you are only one at any given time, the split of boards is ideal for discussion of using either one in detail. Discussing using the other in an anecdotal fashion is all that is necessary in the present forum, but extending the discussion into the actual playstyle/tactics of that other character is easier to post, read, and absorb in a separate character board.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
I DO NOT CARE FOR A DELAY ANYMORE!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS YET EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!

DEALY THE GAME FOREVER!

for i am SO freaking happy.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Very weird the new character design.... I'm not a fan of the ponytail.... or Sheik's new gender... trhoughout OoT shiek was always a man... I know that's disturbing for a lot of people since Shiek had the mind of Zelda... vut I don;t like how blatently non-cannon this is.... that having been said... I'm extatic for sheik

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Well, I'd be fine with it, if for instance, each board was allowed discussion on how they compared this time around, how they worked together, or even just techniques using both characters effectively, there are some out there who even do it in Melee, chances for that in Brawl increase.

But right now, the Zelda board seems to be for Zelda discussion only, which is very limiting if you ask me. Will the rules continue to be this strict? Will they lighten up a little? Or will be literally see posts like...

"Well my favourite technique to use is doing some very quick combos with Sheik, (continues in counterpart thread on Zelda board) but when I feel like I want to KO or recover more effectively, I transform into Zelda"

There is a hint of sarcasm in there, but you can see my point right? I can't imagine threads with oppression on Sheik/Zelda talk, especially if they rely on each other much more in Brawl, like they're supposed to.

Also, I don't get why Sheik is the "bad guy" in this? Especially since Brawl isn't out yet and everyone's assuming it'll be the exact same case as Melee.

EDIT: Arg! They didn't change Sheik's gender, Sheik was and always has been female they just made it more obvious this time around. In OoT she wasn't revealed to be a male OR a female, just people assuming she was a man because of her initial appearance. It's just Zelda using Sheikah magic to disguise herself as a man.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's because most of the Sheik discussion that gets posted on the Zelda board is so utterly focused and concentric (and several times, lame) that it really undermines the discussion of Zelda herself and should just be posted elsewhere, away from the eyes of people who are actually trying to learn Zelda. The soft-ban was done before (in the Brawl section) because most posters who made Sheik threads here were little more than spam. The split of the Zelda/Sheik board in the Melee section was done because the integrated board served little purpose and was very sloppy, even for Zelda+Sheik users.

You're not looking hard enough if you think there was zero Sheik/transformation discussion allowed on the board right now, btw.

"Well my favourite technique to use is doing some very quick combos with Sheik, (continues in counterpart thread on Zelda board) but when I feel like I want to KO or recover more effectively, I transform into Zelda"
This would be an ideal scenario in terms of postings, but as for whether or not it turns out to be that way is up to the dev team.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
Very weird the new character design.... I'm not a fan of the ponytail.... or Sheik's new gender... trhoughout OoT shiek was always a man... I know that's disturbing for a lot of people since Shiek had the mind of Zelda... vut I don;t like how blatently non-cannon this is.... that having been said... I'm extatic for sheik

uhhhh......sheik has always been a girl zelda used magic to look more boyish...this has been know since way back after OOT was out its now just more obvious she a girl which i like the new designs yay XD

FangzV

Smash Journeyman
I hope if Sheik's nerfed, she's not nerfed too badly. She was one of my mains but I kinda sucked so Sheik nerfed = bad for me. xP

ANYWAY, here's my opinion.
Took them long enough, and Sheik looks awesome. I like the needles being more visible, and how they avoided different updates for Sheik's moves and Final Smash which is also Zelda's Final Smash. How creative of them.

WAIT. They didn't even confirm her Final Smash on the Dojo yet. >.<

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
To be fair though, the only reason some of the Sheik fans did it (myself included, although I'm not specifically a Sheik fan) was because as soon as Zelda was announced, there was Sheik oppression from Zelda fans towards Sheik fans. I can understand Sheik fans wanting to post their reasoning to Zelda fans as to why they think Sheik has a chance. I won't deny that there was a lot of spam though.

As for the boards, fair enough. Since I use neither character, I was only really here to support Sheik's inclusion, and have only joined the forums recently (I havn't checked out the Melee boards much at all) so I hadn't realised that posts like that including both were encouraged. Of course in the time I've been posting here, it's been 9/10 of times arguments.

I guess I'm for seperate boards then. Not a problem.

Top Bottom