• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin and their Power of Possession (Item Discussion)

IllidR

Smash Champion
This topic does not primarily effect me because I am not one to play with items, but for those who are involved in that game play lets take a minute to speculate on Olimar's potential in this field.

So now comes the question, with Olimar himself being a character and owning the ability to have up to, as we know of now, five Pikmin, will he AND all of his little deviants be able to possess items at once? We saw in Melee a piece of evidence that could give Olimar hope to be able to possess all the items of his desires, this was, of course, Nana when paired with Popo being able to wield and item and use it properly while Popo is holding his own item.

This of course would give Olimar the ability to be holding SIX items at once, an insane number. I've seen some suggestion that Olimar's Pikmin might fetch him items and hand them to him but that doesn't seem like a likely option to me because of Nana's mechanics in Melee. So now onward to the potential of having this many items. Could this possibly give Olimar a huge advantage in an items battle? He would be able to horde up all the items he wanted, preventing from his opponents from using them against him AND save them for a barrage that could be fatal to any. Imaging this if you may, Olimar wielding a homerun bat, and all of his Pikmin wielding an array of ray guns, superscopes, and cracker launchers. Can you say deadly?

Also, will effect items be able to affect the Pikmin? Can the Pikmin shrink or grow to massive sizes with the effects of a poison or megamushroom?

Now I leave it in your hands with those famous words:

Discuss!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Interesting. This sounds like an amazing concept, however unlikely it will be that they will carry a total of six items. I see them being affected by items like the Lightning bolt, and the mushrooms.

I think however, that the Pikmin will work differently than nana. It does sound likely, that they will bring him an item, whether it be because of a special move, or just because.

I do hope they will be able to carry items themselves, unlikely as I think it is, because 5 Pikmin charging up superscope blasts while Olimar attacks with a homerun bat = win.

One thing I dont expect though, is for the Pikmin to act like nana in the since that when you press "A" to attack with Olimar, all of the Pikmin attack simultaneously. I expect them to on their own with attacks, acting like an AI. When you pull them out of the ground, you may either pick them up, or let them alone and they scurry off to start harrassing the foes.

However he works though, Im sure it will be amazing.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Six items at once. If you think about it, there's a potential for more. I know we only saw five pikmin in that one screenshot, but we don't know if Olimar will be able to pull out more. 15 home run bats ftw?

Six Super Scopes would be sick. But honestly I don't think the Pikmin will be able to hold items. I think they will be like mobile Turnips or something. We can't really say until we know how Olimar works.

Camera_Guy

Smash Journeyman
Well Nana could pick up items, soooo... But she was an exact copy of Popo and the pikmin are... not...copies. This is an interesting thought. Although, I don't think they could, it is a possibility.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Well today we got a confirmation that Olimar could have up to SIX Pikmin at once, that gives us seven total items if the Pikmin can hold them. It would be so godly!

IllidR

Smash Champion
They can hold them, but not use them.
I hope.
If they are able to hold the items they should at least be able to use them. You can't say you don't love the idea of possibly having seven super scopes combined with you and your Pikmin, all firing at once, or launching an ultimate barrage of Pokeballs at your opponent.

Nonchalant

Smash Cadet
I'm more interested in weather or not you can catch pikmin thrown at you and use them as your own...

Florida

イーグランツ
See, the Pikmin are the items. The difference between the Ice Climbers, and Pikmin & Olimar, is that Nana has a complete moveset. The Pikmin, however, are just aids for Olimar's moveset. I'm pretty sure they won't relate with the mechanics and functions that regular characters have (such as picking up items).

It would be cool, though. =P

IllidR

Smash Champion
See, the Pikmin are the items. The difference between the Ice Climbers, and Pikmin & Olimar, is that Nana has a complete moveset. The Pikmin, however, are just aids for Olimar's moveset. I'm pretty sure they won't relate with the mechanics and functions that regular characters have (such as picking up items).

It would be cool, though. =P
I'll show you an item! *Cracks Knuckles*

I kid, I kid. You bring up a very good point. The Pikmin do seem to be just aids for Olimar's moveset, having less AI most likely than Nana ever did since they are easily replaced. But the possibility still stands that Olimar's Pikmin could be more developed like a character than we suppose, just on the side having to do whatever Olimar makes them to do.

TheCanuck75

Smash Apprentice
First of all I would like to point out that Brawl and Melee are not the same game. With that in mind I believe the Pikmin could potentially control different than Nana from Melee. I would also like to refer to this quote from the Dojo

"<Down Special Move: Pikmin Order>

Call back Pikmin who have managed to separate from you. You can also use this technique to shift a new Pikmin to the front of the line."

Now, I know Nana would naturally get away from Popo at times in Melee due to combat, but I have a feeling this hints to more than just the Pikmin getting separated on accident. Pikmin thrown from Olimar will attack whoever they latch onto, but they won't be able to do that forever. If they are knocked off of an opponent but not killed right away, I can easily see them having a mind of their own like they do in the games. Thus, this would make the Down B a particularly useful move to have for Olimar.

Oh, also for those that played Pikmin 2 the white Pikmin had a special ability to find hidden treasure below ground. That makes then handy to have for finding items... perhaps only the white Pikmin would be more likely to collect items for Olimar? They would be quick to get them, but being smaller, it would be more difficult for them to bring it back to Olimar unlike the purple Pikmin.

Overall, I believe Pikmin will go for items; however, not all of the Pikmin in Olimar's group will go for items. Some Pikmin will be more likely than others (usually Pikmin thrown from Olimar)

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
This topic does not primarily effect me because I am not one to play with items, but for those who are involved in that game play lets take a minute to speculate on Olimar's potential in this field.

Discuss!
I herd your not a real man Dx
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/images/wi-fi03/wi-fi03_071203c.jpg

Well, i believe that duracell batery will return as an item (h)

But i dont believe the pikmins can carry anything (if they dont carry the thing together like the normal pikmin games)

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
I think if they held items, it woul make them EVEN MORE true to the original games, which would be awesome.

I do not believe that they will actually be able to use them, however, as they probably lack the ability to use them. I think they will just hold them, and when Olimar whistles, the front Pikmin passes on their item.

Something else is that I think might happen, is that Pikmin will be able to eat food. It only heal a small amount of damage, but it could be the equivilant to a Maxim Tomato to a Pikmin. They wouldnt be able to use anythin that heals by a LARGE amount, though, becasue hats a waste. This would also be true to the game (if I remember rightly, didnt they dring nectar in the game?).

TheCanuck75

Smash Apprentice
They drank nectar in the game, yes. I don't see them using items or eating food... however, I am curious about how the flowering system will work for them...

IllidR

Smash Champion
Hey, I don't want to turn it this into which is better Items on or Off, so don't try to make it that. I'll respect your opinion and I expect the same in return.

Well, i believe that duracell batery will return as an item (h)
Do you mean you think the Duracell Battery will appear in the game for the first time? Because it was never in Melee.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Lol, I always loved the random licenced stuff in P2!!! XD

*bows down to the mighty duracell*

Could a Duracell bettery be incorporated into Smash? Maybe it makes you super speedy and take less damage for about 20 seconds... YOU'D BE LIKE A DURACELL BUNNY :D
Energizer Bunny you mean!

I was thinking that it recovers health.
And since Pikmin brought in the element factor... which I just named...
Electric type characters would get some sort of recharge maybe?

Or you can just chuck it at your opponent.
Auto KO, LOL.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Energizer Bunny you mean!

I was thinking that it recovers health.
And since Pikmin brought in the element factor... which I just named...
Electric type characters would get some sort of recharge maybe?

Or you can just chuck it at your opponent.
Auto KO, LOL.
Nope, Duracell Bunny...

But anyway, I like your ideas, first one's a bit meh, cos we already have healing stuff, second one's a bit TOO character specific... BUT THE LAST ONE IS PURE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I don't think the pikmin will be able to use most items, if any.

Carrying items back to olimar could be an interesting and fun mechanic, but in a game of smash brothers I'm not sure this would truly be helpful to olimar? I would like it because it remains faithful to the original game. But other characters can quite easily knock away the pikmin carrying the item, and take it before olimar even has a chance to get near.

I wonder what the pikmin can actually do on their own...

:dizzy:

IllidR

Smash Champion
I just thought of a great idea because of the discussion on Duracell Batteries.

In Smash many of the characters can carry crates and throw them, but most go very slow because they do not have the strength to handle it or barrels well. What if, for Olimar, the Pikmin would hold the crates for you with a combined effort, moving faster for each Pikmin with it. Say maybe, with six Pikmin they could move at Olimar's regular speed?

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of a great idea because of the discussion on Duracell Batteries.

In Smash many of the characters can carry crates and throw them, but most go very slow because they do not have the strength to handle it or barrels well. What if, for Olimar, the Pikmin would hold the crates for you with a combined effort, moving faster for each Pikmin with it. Say maybe, with six Pikmin they could move at Olimar's regular speed?
Good idea, I think it safe to bet that this idea is included in Brawl.

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
The Pkmin would go for the items they can most likely carry.

4 Players playing as Olimar and Pikmin. Each Pikman on each team has 1 bomb and Olimar has a Homerun-bat.

... XD

Top Bottom