• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frigate Orpheon Discussion

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
This appears in Metroid Prime. It’s the first spaceship Samus infiltrates.

What you see in the background is the Parasite Queen.

Th-the power went out?!

For a spaceship that just causes trouble, it sure does have a lot of problems.

But what really defines this stage is the way it rotates 180 degrees.

The siren scream is a warning!

Suddenly, it flips...

The terrain inverts!

When the siren goes off, jump into the air to flee.

But when you’re in a pinch, so is your opponent. Stall your opponent to take advantage!​

Thoughts: This is a Metroid stage we've all been looking for. No lava, no stage hazards. Sure it flips in a 180 degree fashion, similar to Brinstar Depths, but at least the platforms aren't jagged and small. Plus, it's good to see Metroid Prime get a stage to call it's own.

Discuss your thoughts.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
well, this update made me REALLY happy.

mostly because i really like MP.
the parasite queen HAS to come out.

i think this is the scariest stage yet.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the first real reference to Prime! I wonder if this increases Dark Samus' odds of appearing at all.

Cocoashadow

Smash Apprentice
A very unique and cool stage based on my favorite series? WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LIKE?
Seriously, though, this looks like one of the best stages so far, I can't wait to see how the 180-degree flip is used in play (I'm guessing characters with meteor smashes will benefit from the temporary bottomless pit...)
Also the platforms themselves look keenly crafted for fair play, it honestly looks like the best stage so far for me. (And yes, I know I said that twice...)

:034:

Smash Hero
Finally some Metroid Prime rep. Now the SA-X as Assist Trophy to get some Fusion in and we're all set.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
If in fact Ridley is included, this opens the awesomeness of the Metroid Prime designs of our flying friend.

ZachSoup

BRoomer
BRoomer
Could be interesting to see how quickly the stage inverts. If its drawn out, I would imagine characters with better air control to have at least a decent advantage.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
YEEEEEEEEEEES

finally an a good update. a **** good update.

I was seriously worried Prime would get no love. Maybe this means will see Dar kSamus in some form or another.

ronnietheboywonder

Smash Apprentice
Hands down, coolest stage yet :) I actually played this game too lol I don't think it will be like Brinstar Depths, and I hope it will be tourny accepted <3

ironmanATL

Smash Rookie
But if it were only 1 stage per character, does that mean another Metroid rep will be included?...*cough Ridley *cough
Totally agree. In my opinion, this is some pretty good evidence of a certain *cough new character *cough joining the fray and calling this place home. I think we might even see that update we've all been dreaming of within the week.

zagman505

Smash Cadet
but wasn't that more because the rotations weren't always uniform, and that combined with the small and jagged platforms made it really easy to miss a platform when falling? this stage doesn't look like it'll have that problem, since it appears that it'll only be full 180 degree rotations, and all of the platforms are nice and flat.

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
What separates this from Brinstar Depths is that there are only ever two choices of stage, unlike in Brinstar Depths where it was very random and could change to most of them whimsically, so you know what'll be coming next. The warning siren also helps.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I love new stage updates. Does anybody else think that there might be more Metroid stages? I mean, seeing 2 so early makes me think that maybe there's another hidden one.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Thoughts: This is a Metroid stage we've all been looking for. No lava, no stage hazards. Sure it flips in a 180 degree fashion, similar to Brinstar Depths, but at least the platforms aren't jagged and small. Plus, it's good to see Metroid Prime get a stage to call it's own.

Discuss your thoughts.
I couldn't agree more. I said...Finally! A Metroid stage I don't hate.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
That's actually pretty cool. But something he didnt mention is surely the parasite attacks you with acid, like in Prime.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Cool, but the only thing I'm worried about is the rotation. How fast will it be?

And what if you're Ike? His Up b doesn't help him stay in the air for very long.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
woah Eaode, that was pretty accurate! Congratulations. But I supose rotation time will be much faster, that's why there's no necessity for adding a semi-circular platform there or side platforms.

I like this idea of a sand clock stage... I just don't see how it fits with Frigate Orpheon... just because the series had a rotating stage that doesn't mean we need to keep representing Metroid with lava/rotating stages.

This would work perfectly with a Mario Galaxy gravitation idea, for instance. And I'm hoping The Parasite Queen doesn't shoot acid... I wouldn't like any hazards on this kind of stage.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
Everyone keeps saying that this is Ridley's home stage... I say that this is Samus' stage, and that Norfair is Ridley's stage. And yeah, I was surprised to see that they updated a second Metroid stage before release. It's about TIME we got a non-lava-based Metroid stage. And if the rotation goes fast enough, I guess it could be tourney-legal. That'd be nice, cause this looks like it'll have awesome music, too. And I hope the Parasite Queen is just for show... I mean, yeah, it'd be cool to see it attack, but I want a semi-normal stage here XD

...I think the stage flip might be kind of slow. In the screenshot that shows the stage flipping, everyone (minus Kirby) is using their Up+B.

TMS

Smash Journeyman
And I thought Sakurai wouldn't give us any thing from Prime...

Anyway, I'm glad.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Cool, but the only thing I'm worried about is the rotation. How fast will it be?

And what if you're Ike? His Up b doesn't help him stay in the air for very long.
Well, the fact that Sakurai said to jump into the air makes me think it's pretty fast. If you don't jump fast or high enough, the stage probably collides with you and pushes you off the screen.

People used to be able to stand and jump a couple times to stay on at Brinstar Depths. I don't think this one will be as slow, as annoying, OR as random as that was.

I actually liked this update!!

LuLLo

Smash Ace

Well I think it takes a second or 2 to rotate, if not, then yes, it would be very unfair for characters like Ike, but I think this stage could be tourney-legal...

Also, I think it's a hint to a new character from the Prime series, why would they include a Prime stage when no character in Brawl comes from Prime? (Samus' design is from the SNES version, it's only upgraded in graphical design, and ZSS is from GBA)
So we have 2 character possibilities, Ridley or Dark Samus (God I hope it's Ridley)...
Now pray that we don't get a new character like a Space Pirate General or one of the Hunters instead of those 2.........

Nothingman

Smash Cadet
I really really like the new metroid stage, i dont know why, i didnt even play prime ever.

but i love it, it seems so awesome, i love the atmosphere and the lighting. i love how big it is, and i love that it zooms way out. i love the glow in the dark lighting. the giant monster in the background that just stares at you. i wish i could live there.

i really really really hope they make it so that peoples voice echoes in this stage. that would just make it so much better

also i hope the My Music selection includes a music track that is mostly minimalistic and ambient that would really add to the atmosphere. since this is from a metroid game, im thinking this will most likely happen.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
This really shows you what you can easily do with a place that is just flat normal average terrain. In the game (If I can remember) she is just in a big glass box, escapes, and dies. It seems like Sakurai is basing this whole stage just around the one part in the game. Creative.

ALSO-Perhaps this is the oppisite of Snake's stage, in his you can only like from the top (until you break the walls), but here it seems like you can only be killed from the sides

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm, this stage was obviously created for its concept, rather than it's aesthetic design. The flipping mechanic is clearly going to be fast, probably in a instant. If there's proper warning towards the flip, then the stage could easily be tournament legal., if that's anyone's concern. Still, I really would have thought something like the PQ would get out, or at least fire a acid beam.

But at last, Sakurai figured out that there's a Metroid Prime series. I really thought he wouldn't do anything with it for a bit there. But I don't think many people predicted this one. As I said, it was based on the concept of flipping rather than being a MP stage, and thus we are at this relatively obscure spot, instead of fan favorite areas. Still it doesn't bother me, since the only Metroid Prime area I was rooting for was Chozo Ruins, but that was before Norfair. With that stage, we already have a home for a very special potential playable character who gets people banned when they make topics about him. >.>

Arteen

Smash Lord
Oh my goodness, it's a Metroid Prime stage, and there's no lava! It's not even in a cave! And it's even my favorite of the series, Metroid Prime 1! Sweet.

Oh, and just to be cynical, it's probably based on the first level in MP1 because no one it Japan bothered to get any farther. ;)

Top Bottom