• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Import Thread - Translators needed

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
So I have my Wii modded and I'm going to import the JPN version and maybe get it...earlier...
Despite talking about the methods, I'm going to try to supply as much video and screenshots as possible. I want to know how many people here can translate Japanese? It seems to be a good sideproject for a month and will help countdown to USA launch.
JPN launch is Jan 31, btw.

Content #1:
Translations:
Contributions:

Content #2:
Translations:
Contributions:

Content #3:
Translations:
Contributions:

I think that's how I'm going to arrange it, so as to anybody and pop in and say "on #3, it translates to 'blah blah blah'"

Translation Team----------------Contribution Team
SamuraiPanda---------------------ShortFuse
amost-------------------------------Mike Hawk
CyberBenX4------------------------MAST3R
kashikomarimashita---------------ozz3000
WeeklyJumpman------------------Drack
Ouendanation----------------------therealssjlink
bastula------------------------------Card
Kiyoru
Aeris
Drack
Kaion (via PM)
ph00tbag
.Yoshi (via PM)
kamekasu
Kokichi
Hideyo
Aeriath

Coselm

Smash Ace
In my opinion it doesn't seem worth it. There will be Japanese Brawl videos all over the internet when it comes out so no need to get it yourself. But if you really can't wait... go for it.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
1. one update will brick your Wii
there's update strippers for images and have been... that's pretty much how to do it. also, there's the reset trick to not get the channels. don't worry, i'll have that covered. i've played a few imports w/o putting the mandatory firmware. in other words, workarounds.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
So I have my Wii modded and I'm going to import the JPN version and maybe get it...earlier...
Despite talking about the methods, I'm going to try to supply as much video and screenshots as possible. I want to know how many people here can translate Japanese? It seems to be a good sideproject for 3 weeks and will help countdown to USA launch.
JPN launch is Jan 24th, btw.
quick question, how much does it cost to import the game? just curious

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Despite talking about the methods, I'm going to try to supply as much video and screenshots as possible. I want to know how many people here can translate Japanese? It seems to be a good sideproject for 3 weeks and will help countdown to USA launch.
JPN launch is Jan 24th, btw.

Im in Japan and Im gettin the game when it comes out. Im all but fluent in Japanese, so Ill probably go ahead and translate some of the stuff while Im bored at work. You know, just to reveal the ins and outs of the game for those who care to know ahead of time. It might help you out some.

Another thing. How easy is it to mod a Wii in the States? Ill have to get mine modded when I go back home one day. So would anyone be so kind as to give me the low down.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
quick question, how much does it cost to import the game? just curious
The real answer to that question is zero, considering it takes a modded Wii to play imported games, unless your planning to buy a Japanese Wii and all the adapters too. I'm going to be realistic and assume people will not wait several days for shipping after release when they can acquire the game as soon as it is leaked if their Wii was modded. Mine is not, sadly, so it is not an option for me, and like most people, I already have it preordered.

Cless

Smash Champion
The real answer to that question is zero, considering it takes a modded Wii to play imported games, unless your planning to buy a Japanese Wii and all the adapters too. I'm going to be realistic and assume people will not wait several days for shipping after release when they can acquire the game as soon as it is leaked if their Wii was modded. Mine is not, sadly, so it is not an option for me, and like most people, I already have it preordered.
He said import the game. Not acquire it.

wagnerelli

Smash Apprentice
You are going to order a more expensive game in a language that you can't understand that's probably going to get there after or right before it comes out in America in a language you can understand at a cheaper price.

That makes a whole lot of sense.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
perhaps he is Australian like me?
modding it's self is legal here (using burnt games isn't, just like the emulator/rom thing)
and we wont be getting a PAL version of the game for a while.
so importing a *** version would be a 100% legal way to get the game early (not that that matters to many people, it might to him)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
So yeah.. i'm "acquiring" it. I don't like to not pay for games though (pirating). Though modded, I can get the game sometimes earlier by downloading it but i'm a big fan of video games. I bought 3 copies of Melee. That's how I showed my appreciation. I have two copies of the PS2 version of Soul Calibur and one Cube. If a game is good, I'll buy it, if it's really good, i'll buy it again, just to show my appreciation. I'll probably be getting two copies of Brawl (one at launch and one later). I don't know, maybe it's just my justifying pirating.
I'm going to try to upload videos of gameplay and what not and go through all the character movesets. Everyone's B Moves, A moves, dash dance distances, recovery-tether length, (short) jump height, attack strength. I'm sure the community will appreciate it 2-3 weeks before launch.
Of course, I could just play the game by saying, "oh yeah, Ike is faster, i think, i've never played E4All..." with no videos or anything. But I think it's greater service to the community to share what I can.

And I don't want this focused around me, I'd hope all JPN players can post in the same thread.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the same position. My Wiikey is ready for January 24th. Or even before, like Super Mario Galaxy. I'm just not gonna wait for 2 months or more until the Pal version is released. I'll buy it later.

And I can traduce "Yes" and "No" in Japanese. :cool:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yeah, Im sure Kokichi will be putting in his two cents one he gets his hands on Brawl. The way I look at it, the more insight the merrier.
Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Chi will be back in the states before the game is release in Japan.

And I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be translating the menus, other than a few of the main ones.

Darkurai

Smash Master
there's update strippers for images and have been... that's pretty much how to do it. also, there's the reset trick to not get the channels. don't worry, i'll have that covered. i've played a few imports w/o putting the mandatory firmware. in other words, workarounds.
The update comes with the game and is required to play it.

Thread over.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Come on, do you really think a simple thing like this can stop a modded Wii ? Do you think Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy didn't have updates that came with the game too ? Chipsets can have updates too you know.

Look at Super Mario Galaxy. If you used the game with a modded Wii, you'd see a message saying an unauthorized device was on the Wii and the game couldn't be played. Within the day, most of the teams made a quick patch for their chipsets that made Super Mario Galaxy playable.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
It's only a 2-3 week difference in time between the Japanese release and the North American one, so why can't you just wait for it. For those in PAL regions, I can understand importing an American copy, but otherwise it's kind of wasteful. Besides, how much of that time will you be spending waiting for the game to arrive, if you imported it?

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Isnt Sakurai going to make the U.S. version better than the japanese because they get it sooner?
That's why I'm going to buy the PAL version when it comes out. For example, in Melee, there was some changes like Kirby being having a little more weight.

It's only a 2-3 week difference in time between the Japanese release and the North American one, so why can't you just wait for it. For those in PAL regions, I can understand importing an American copy, but otherwise it's kind of wasteful. Besides, how much of that time will you be spending waiting for the game to arrive, if you imported it?
You're right. In my case I'm not going to import it but just to get it. I usually can get a game in 3 days. When PAL comes out however I'm going to buy one, because everyone needs to own Brawl. I hope the saves will be the same between the versions, so I can keep my progression. If not, it doesn't really matter, I'll just re-unlock everything quickly.

Oh and about Japanese. I don't know how to speak or read Japanese and I don't have any vocabulary, but I know how it works, so with the help of a Kanji traductor I could (very) slowly traduce some of the menus. I already did it on Jump Ultimate Stars and Zelda PH (Japanese) to see which button should be clicked to search for opponents worldwide.

Frogla

Smash Ace
That's why I'm going to buy the PAL version when it comes out. For example, in Melee, there was some changes like Kirby being having a little more weight.
That probably wont happen now, Online play would make it so all variables are the same in both games. Am i correct those tech savy?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
The update comes with the game and is required to play it.

Thread over.
I'm sorry, you have the game? Regardless, we'll have to wait and see. I got Mario Galaxy USA edition early. People in PAL were able to play Mario Galaxy USA on their modded PALarized wii's 3 weeks before the NTSC USA version launched and Mario Galaxy has an update included. Don't be so sure.

And the Japanese version of Melee did not launch with the English translation. It's the English version that had two languages, JPN had one. At least, that's what I was told on the Melee forum. We can expect JPN Brawl to have only JPN language and MAYBE USA version to have both.

As for translation, I'm going to post the information and menus first and you guys can contribute at your own pace. If you check out the first thread, I'm going to have the posts numerated. Regardless, if I can get the game to work *crosses fingers* we'll get to have some spoilers, like if Sheik is in, what all the start character's B moves are...and for that matter WHO the starting characters are... at least it'll keep us busy for 3 weeks. And who knows, Mario Galaxy USA was leaked 3 weeks prior to launch, maybe Smash will be leaked 3 weeks early.

Let's not get a flame war going about whether if or not it'll be possible. we'll see when it launches. this is hopefully a placeholder and to get some interested in contributing in the future.

Phail3d

Smash Rookie
Just a curious question: What modchips are you using / would you recommend for modding a Wii?

I live in the PAL region and I'm seriously considering modding my Wii. At least if they're not revealing the PAL release date soon enough.

(Also hiya all, since I think this is my first post outside of the Finnish topics. Been lurking a while though :] . )

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
If push comes to shove..then it might be a week or half a week early depending on which site you order it from. Also it depends on when those places will start taking pre-orders. Anyhow, like I said before ppl wll wait others won't. I'm one of the ppl who won't wait. Seeing as so many ppl will get it when it comes out it doesn't matter I'll just go to my homeboy's house who bought the PAL version. But I'll be a week or two happier than everyone else. I do what I gotta do.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
you should make your own ssbb website with ur own updates, if this whole import thing works out that is. i wouldny mind at all if you spoiled everything for me. :)

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
There is no guarantee the game will be leaked, and if it is it may not be the English version. But in the case it does who wouldnt hesitate to "acquire" Brawl.

In any event Ill be putting out info about the Japanese language in the game, and be open to inquiries. But Ill probably be too busy playing the game after the Japanese launch to go into to many details. All in good time.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Chi will be back in the states before the game is release in Japan.

And I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be translating the menus, other than a few of the main ones.

Off topic but how long did it take you to learn basic japanese? Im thinking of learning? Did you take classes or did it on your own? Where do you suggest I start?

Top Bottom