• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Linebeck For Brawl Thread (Updated Movelist and Stats!)

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Ok, first of all, I know Linebeck's chances are...about -1%. Second of all, to the mods, I didn't see another thread for this, but if there is one, feel free to lock this.

So...all of us who've played Phantom Hourglass know who Captain Linebeck is, but for those of you who don't, Captain Linebeck is the man who owns the tugboat that Link travels throughout the Great Sea on.

Here's a picture of our Captain...

Anyway, if you've played Phantom Hourglass, you know that Linebeck plays a pretty big role throughout the game. SPOILERS:
Especially at the end of the game in the final cutscenes/boss.

PROS:
Linebeck is a totally original character who could easily have a move list created for him
Linebeck is from the most recent Legend of Zelda game.
He plays a major role in his game.
He'd be fun to play as.
Way to represent Phantom Hourglass without another Link/May appeal to Cel-Shading fans.
Phantom Hourglass sold over 1.35 million copies (Doesn't relate directly to Linebeck but it shows that people will recognize him).

CONS:
Maybe TOO new of a character.
There are possibly/arguably other characters from the LoZ series that are more "deserving."
Not a huge fanbase.
Over-population of Zelda characters.

Possible Movelist
~~~~~~~~~~~
A: Right punch (3%)
A+A: Right, left combo (7%)
A+A+A: Right, left, spin punch combo (12%)

Up-Smash: Linebeck crouches down and springs his body upwards to attack with a headbutt (14%)
Side-Smash: Linebeck rears back and then swings foward with a double fisted punch. (17%)
Down-Smash: Linebeck raises his hands to his face as if frightened before bringing them down towards foes. (13%)

Dash Attack: While running, Linebeck trips and slides into the enemy. (10%)

B: Rupee Toss-Throws a Rupee at a foe. The color determines the amount of damage. Knockback depends on Rupee color. Green: 1% (Common+Weak knockback) Blue: 5% (Uncommon+Pretty good knockback) Red: 20% (Rare+Good knockback) Big Green Rupee: 100% (Very Rare+Amazing knockback; like a 9 with Mr. Game and Watch.)
Side-B: Linebeck Roll-Linebeck rolls across the stage like a log (if you've beaten PH you'll get this). Chargable with good knockback at full charge. 16%+
Down-B: Setting Course-Linebeck whips out his sea chart and spins in a small semi-circle with it. Good knockback, around 14% damage. Can hit twice.
Up-B: Linebeck-In-The-Box- Linebeck enters his hiding box and shoots out of it. Hits 3 times max for around 6% for each strike. Little knockback to enemy but has an invincibility frame while inside of box.

Grab: Linebeck grabs the foe with both hands. By pressing the attack button, Linebeck shakes them.

Up Throw: Linebeck tosses the enemy upwards a short distance then leaps into them and headbutts them.
Foward Throw: Linebeck simply pitches the enemy foward.
Back Throw: Linebeck simply throws the enemy backwards.
Down Throw: Linebeck shakes the foe for a bit until he throws them at the ground.

Final Smash: Bombs Away!- Linebeck grabs a Smash Orb and begins to glow. He suddenly points to the background as the trusted S.S. Linebeck appears! Suddenly, the stage is bombarded with a shower of cannon shots. Linebeck can still move around and attack during his Final Smash but is uneffected by the bombs. Fires 16 times; a direct strike causes 30% and good knockback, while being hit with the cannon ball's splash radius causes around 15% max and little knockback.

~*CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR PHANTOM HOURGLASS*~ Other Possible Final Smash:
Phantom Linebeck- Poor Linebeck gets possessed again...but this time you can use it to your advantage! Linebeck turns into Phantom Linebeck and is only vunerable from behind. All attacks from the front and above do nothing. Linebeck also sports a new sword for powerful attacks. He's also much heavier and slower. He is also unable to jump in this form.
Phantom Linebeck Moves
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B: Phantom Strike: PL brings his sword crashing down on the enemy. (23% Amazing knockback)
Side B: Phantom Spin: PL pauses and then spins towards his foes, striking them repeatedly with his blade. (10-13% no knockback but pulls foes in)
Down B: Phantom Counter: PL locks weapons (or fists) with an enemy and then knocks them away with his sword. (Original attack X 1.5, great knockback)
Up-B: Phantom Tentacle: Bellum's tentacle strikes an enemy. (12% little knockback)

Up Taunt: Takes out his sea chart and looks over it.
Side Taunt: Linebeck thinks about Rupees in a thought bubble, dollar signs in his eyes.
Down Taunt: Linebeck hides in his box briefly and peeks out.

Victory: Linebeck stands before all, posing dramatically before falling over and quickly regaining his composure. In the background is Linebeck's theme.

Size: Linebeck isn't too big, probably a little taller than Luigi.
Weight: Linebeck isn't too heavy either, again similar to Luigi.
Power: Linebeck is NOT a fighter and for a very obvious reason...he's not very strong. Kirby strength but he has a few moves that'll finish off other players at medium/high percents.
Speed: This is Linebeck's best area, Linebeck, being the somewhat cowardly person he is, is VERY fast. Probably around Pikachu's speed (maybe Marth's??)
Fall Speed: Linebeck doesn't fall very fast, he's a tad floaty too.
Jump: Linebeck can also jump quite high to go along with his speed.

Linebeck may be VERY unlikely, but he's not impossible. And while I'm really not counting on him being in it (heck I'd be happy if he was an Assist Trophy) I still think he'd be pretty fun to play as. So be a Linebeck Backer! Support Captain Linebeck for Brawl!

~~~~~~~IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE A LINEBACKER, SAY SO IN YOUR POST~~~~~~~~

Linebackers
MarthTrinity, T-major, zeldafan xx, Symphony X

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Linebeck would seem interesting to see in Brawl, unfortunately, Phantom Hourglass is far too new of a game to include a character from it in SSBB.

Santini

Smash Journeyman
Lets just get cel-shaded Link before we start asking for his crazy sidekicks.

And I really couldn't see him in Brawl at all. Well, maybe a sticker.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
But my theory is that Linebeck would be a good compromise between the WW Link lovers and haters. The haters don't want another Link but the lovers think he could be different. Linebeck is different from ANY other character and would be completely original in Brawl.

Santini

Smash Journeyman
But my theory is that Linebeck would be a good compromise between the WW Link lovers and haters. The haters don't want another Link but the lovers think he could be different. Linebeck is different from ANY other character and would be completely original in Brawl.
In that case, I think Tetra would be a far better choice. She was in Wind Waker, which was a much bigger game, as well as PH. Plus, it seems to me that she is more popular and has more moveset potential.

EDIT: Yes! I am no longer a Smash n00b!

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
i hope you aren't serious...Linebeck would be absolutely terrible. he isn't even assist trophy material, and that's saying something.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
i hope you aren't serious...Linebeck would be absolutely terrible. he isn't even assist trophy material, and that's saying something.
Linebeck is 1337 and owns ur face olol.
Linebeck > Dark samus
:laugh:.(Kidding...)

If a character to go with Wind Waker Link is included it would be Tetra or Vaati, I would love Linebeck, but as previously mentioned, he is far too recent.
Probably Vaati X_X...He is to recent :( It stinks....AT Maybe ? :p

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
If a character to go with Wind Waker Link is included it would be Tetra or Vaati, I would love Linebeck, but as previously mentioned, he is far too recent.
Oh man...I forgot Cel-Shaded Link is in Minish Cap, you're right about the Vaati part...So yeah Vaati, Tetra, WW Link and Skull Kid probably all have higher chances then Linebeck. Thank you for your positive feedback however. ^^

In that case, I think Tetra would be a far better choice. She was in Wind Waker, which was a much bigger game, as well as PH. Plus, it seems to me that she is more popular and has more moveset potential.

EDIT: Yes! I am no longer a Smash n00b!
Congrats on no longer being a Smash n00b ^^ Hmm...it seems like people would prefer Tetra, I guess I can see how she'd be a better rep, but like I've said, Linebeck is VERY unlikely but he would be pretty cool!

I don't see how Linebeck is THAT terrible of an idea...it's not like I just created a thread saying "ZOMG LINEBECK 4 BRAWL DISCUSS!!" I actually thought it out and created a movelist and reasons why he COULD be in Brawl. He's very unlikely I'll give you that, even as an assist trophy, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be in it in some way shape or form. And yes am I serious, IF (and that's a very big IF considering his odds are so low) Linebeck was in Brawl, I'd definately be pleased.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
i might be more open to the idea if Lineback actually DID something in Phantom Hourglass....but he doesn't. All he does is own a ship, and he rarely even steers it. he doesn't navigate it, he doesn't use the canon, and he really doesn't know how to use a weapon. and he hides in a crate...

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
i might be more open to the idea if Lineback actually DID something in Phantom Hourglass....but he doesn't. All he does is own a ship, and he rarely even steers it. he doesn't navigate it, he doesn't use the canon, and he really doesn't know how to use a weapon. and he hides in a crate...
But that's the glory of Linebeck, he's a major WTF character. Sure he never really fights
Unless you count when he saves Link from Bellum in the end
Imagine playing as Linebeck, he'd be just as wacky as Wario but in a different way, it'd be a different touch of humor. But of course, you are entitled to your opinion, thank you for your feedback!

zeldafan__xx

Smash Rookie
OMG, I LOVE Linebeck! He's the funniest character in Zelda ever! He's, like, the only reason why I play the game! He's also my fave sidekick of Link's besides Midna and possibly my fave character in da whole series! I REALLY really rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly REEAAAALLLLYYYY hope he's in ssbb as a playable character, assist trophy, or even just a collectable trophy! Or maybe he can appear in another Zelda game? THAT'D BE SOOOOO AWESOME! If he's not in brawl I will not buy it! lol. Anyways, I LOVE your idea!

As for you, darkspidey13, Linebeck would so totally NOT be terrible on brawl! He could punch and kick like any normal person, and as Marth said before, he IS a fast runner, even with a sprained ankle ;D
Also, he could use a sword like when he grabs the sword Link dropped to defend him from Bellum, which reminds me, WTF DO YOU MEAN HE DOES NOTHING?!?!?!? HE SAVED LINK AND TETRA'S LIVES! Incase you don't remember, he stabbed Bellum's tentacle when he had grabbed them and so Bellum dropped 'em and then posessed him! So, Linebeck practically risked his life for Link and Tetra, so don't say he never did anything >_<

zeldafan__xx

Smash Rookie
Linebeck Rulz!

OMG, I LOVE Linebeck! He's the funniest character in Zelda ever! He's, like, the only reason why I play the game! He's also my fave sidekick of Link's besides Midna and possibly my fave character in da whole series! I REALLY really rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly REEAAAALLLLYYYY hope he's in ssbb as a playable character, assist trophy, or even just a collectable trophy! Or maybe he can appear in another Zelda game? THAT'D BE SOOOOO AWESOME! If he's not in brawl I will not buy it! lol. Anyways, I LOVE your idea!

As for you, darkspidey13, Linebeck would so totally NOT be terrible on brawl! He could punch and kick like any normal person, and as Marth said before, he IS a fast runner, even with a sprained ankle ;D
Also, he could use a sword like when he grabs the sword Link dropped to defend him from Bellum, which reminds me, WTF DO YOU MEAN HE DOES NOTHING?!?!?!?
*spoiler*
HE SAVED LINK AND TETRA'S LIVES! Incase you don't remember, he stabbed Bellum's tentacle when he had grabbed them and so Bellum dropped 'em and then posessed him! So, Linebeck practically risked his life for Link and Tetra, so don't say he never did anything >_<

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
oops, sorry! i posted but then couldn't see it so i posted again
*eats double post*
It's ok! ^^ I'm glad to see that Linebeck is getting some fans to back him up! Thank you for your positive feedback. Anyone else have any ideas for Linebeck? Feedback? Ideas to improve his move list or possible ways for Linebeck to be an AT? Feedback and constructive criticism are always welcome!

Puffs

Smash Ace
Despite Linebeck's awesomeness, he doesn't seem like a good candidate for a Smash Bros. character at all.

OMG, I LOVE Linebeck! He's the funniest character in Zelda ever! He's, like, the only reason why I play the game!
Then you are a horrible person.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Despite Linebeck's awesomeness, he doesn't seem like a good candidate for a Smash Bros. character at all.
A good candidate or a likely candidate? I don't see why he wouldn't be a good candidate but I can easily see why he's not likely. He'll make it in as an AT at most, but I'd love it if he were playable. I can also see how there'd be "better" candidates to represent the series and such, but I'd still love to play as Linebeck! Thanks for your contributions by the way!

zeldafan__xx

Smash Rookie

Then you are a horrible person.

um... why am I a horrible person? :(
I mean, it's a GREAT game, I just like it better when Linebeck's in it!
Is that a bad thing?

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
Linebeck would make a terribly cool AT. I'm not certain about him as a full-blown player character, but I certainly wouldn't mind if he made the cut.

What I'd really, truly like to see, though, is his theme song as selectable background music for a Zelda stage. That music was the best part of Phantom Hourglass for me.

zeldafan__xx

Smash Rookie
i agree with duderino, i'd love for Linebeck to be a playable charcter OR assisant trophy ^^ just as long as he's in the game! i also love his theme too.

btw, i compared the sizes in melee and in the phantom hourglass Linebeck is a lot taller than Link and you said he'd be around Luigi's size but Luigi is just as big as young Link if not smaller so I think he should be around Falco or Mewtwo's height? Just a suggestion :p

plz nintendo, if not ssbb, another zelda game? i MUST see Linebeck again! xP

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Linebeck would make a terribly cool AT. I'm not certain about him as a full-blown player character, but I certainly wouldn't mind if he made the cut.

What I'd really, truly like to see, though, is his theme song as selectable background music for a Zelda stage. That music was the best part of Phantom Hourglass for me.
That my friend is an AMAZING point. If Great Bay comes back (or any other Zelda stage that it'd fit in for that matter) I would LOVE Linebeck's theme! Best song in the entire Phantom Hourglass. Worse comes to worse though...I could always just turn up my iPod and crank some Linebeck's Theme that way ; )

i agree with duderino, i'd love for Linebeck to be a playable charcter OR assisant trophy ^^ just as long as he's in the game! i also love his theme too.

btw, i compared the sizes in melee and in the phantom hourglass Linebeck is a lot taller than Link and you said he'd be around Luigi's size but Luigi is just as big as young Link if not smaller so I think he should be around Falco or Mewtwo's height? Just a suggestion :p

plz nintendo, if not ssbb, another zelda game? i MUST see Linebeck again! xP
Hmm...I'll edit it, thank you for your support! When I chose around Luigi's height, I was just kind of thinking about the average height of a full-grown man. Thanks again for helping out! Oh...and about Linebeck being in another game...something tells me we may see Linebeck ride the seas once more...or at least I hope so too XD C'mon Nintendo! More Linebeck! (If you brought back Tingle that many times you can bring Linebeck too hehehe, sorry Tingle fans.)

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I could easily see him as a AT, but like alot of people said, he too new and just a sidekick, but I like him

Puffs

Smash Ace
um... why am I a horrible person? :(
I mean, it's a GREAT game, I just like it better when Linebeck's in it!
Is that a bad thing?
You worded it as though you believed Linebeck was the only good thing about PH. That is far from true. In fact, it's hard to find bad points.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I could easily see him as a AT, but like alot of people said, he too new and just a sidekick, but I like him
Yeah I see Linebeck as AT material, but I'd love if he WAS playable!

You worded it as though you believed Linebeck was the only good thing about PH. That is far from true. In fact, it's hard to find bad points.
Mhm, even if Linebeck WASN'T in PH, it'd still be amazing! Linebeck just adds that little touch of even more awesome to it XD

I think your supporters should be titled, "Linebackers".

Get it?

BTW,

Entitled.
You sir just swayed my opinion...Linebackers it is! (Oh and thanks for the spelling correction XD *is terrible at spelling*

Linebeck isn't getting in over WWLink
I know he's not, he's an AT at best, but I'd love if he WERE playable! Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!

zeldafan__xx

Smash Rookie
Ooh, I came up with one more ideas :p

-You know how Zelda can transform into Shiek by pressing a certain combo? Well maybe Linebeck can turn into *spoiler* posessed Linebeck by using the same technique!

P.S. I RLY hope you're right about us seeing him sail the seas once more!!! COME ON NINTENDO!
and you're TOTALLY right about the Tingle thing, he's not even that great! Correction, he's not great PERIOD. Linebeck on the other hand is totally awesome and deserves another chance!

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Actually...upon even more thinking (like five minutes XD) I thought a full blown banner (like the one you have with Mario on it) might be better/more dramatic XD It'd suit Linebeck well.
That's a sig. I have of Mario. It's just for fun. Userbar's are normally used when a mass of character supporters ban together. A banner is used usually for a whole site. To my knowledge.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Ooh, I came up with one more ideas :p

-You know how Zelda can transform into Shiek by pressing a certain combo? Well maybe Linebeck can turn into *spoiler* posessed Linebeck by using the same technique!
Hmm...I think
Phantom Linebeck
would be better used as a Final Smash perhaps, he may be a tad too powerful for a character transformation. Thanks for the idea though, I'll think about it : D

That's a sig. I have of Mario. It's just for fun. Userbar's are normally used when a mass of character supporters ban together. A banner is used usually for a whole site. To my knowledge.
Huh...I really have NO idea XD This is my first real forum with sigs like this...I hope you wouldn't mind having a sig...I put in a request for one ^^;

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Ok, riddle me this.

I haven't played PH. My DS was "lost." Anyway, I'm going to be recieving a Lite soon, option of two games. I need an unbias opinion on the game, as I tend not to enjoy Zelda games a whole lot. Should I consider PH?

Top Bottom