• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Melee Disc? Does it include English Language?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
My question is this, does the Japanese version of Melee include the option to change between English and Japanese? or is that only in the USA version?
I'm interested because if JPN version launched with english audio, playing a JPN import of Brawl won't be so difficult when it comes to unlocking and such.

Weed

Smash Lord
My question is this, does the Japanese version of Melee include the option to change between English and Japanese? or is that only in the USA version?
I'm interested because if JPN version launched with english audio, playing a JPN import of Brawl won't be so difficult when it comes to unlocking and such.
I dont think it would matter, since I've been led to believe that you can't play your countries' games on foreign consoles, unless you have a Japanese Wii.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
No it doesnt. The only reason the American version had Japanese was because it was released later. As for Brawl it will be the same. It takes extra time to localize games. Why do you think the European release is so late. Its because they have to translate the game in to like 5 different languages, well at least the text. Also they have to come up with regional advertising campaigns. There is a lot of work involved, so most companies choose to space it out. However, some developers havee global releases, like Bungie and Halo 3 for example. I got the Japanese version, and its all in Japanese, even the voice acting. Master Chief sounds like a fairy. But with Nintendo they are not like that. They never do global releases. If you got a modded version you could play in Japanese. It wont take too much away from the experience, though you probably wont get to play online until the American release.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
No it doesnt. The only reason the American version had Japanese was because it was released later. As for Brawl it will be the same. It takes extra time to localize games. Why do you think the European release is so late. Its because they have to translate the game in to like 5 different languages, well at least the text. Also they have to come up with regional advertising campaigns. There is a lot of work involved, so most companies choose to space it out. However, some developers havee global releases, like Bungie and Halo 3 for example. I got the Japanese version, and its all in Japanese, even the voice acting. Master Chief sounds like a fairy. But with Nintendo they are not like that. They never do global releases. If you got a modded version you could play in Japanese. It wont take too much away from the experience, though you probably wont get to play online until the American release.
yeah, well there are some games that are released in Japan that for some reason also include English translation (MegaMan X8 for PC comes to mind). Sometimes it has to do with ESRB delay or disc production (since USA is bigger market than Japan) and the translation work is already included in the japanese version.
I thought I'd at least ask. The USA version of Melee was released only 12 days after the Japanese release. Brawl will be released 14 days after.

ultimatom

Smash Rookie
I buy the japanese melee and it doesnt work in my wii... The disc is good but I dont have a sd card... What do I do ? Is it because my wii is canadian ? PLease answer me

Pauer

The Pauerful
Unfortunately, I don't know about the regional compatibility of gamecube games with the wii, but I'm sure someone else can answer that.

What I can recommend is that you softmod your wii so that you can play melee from a downloaded game image. That way, regional compatibility won't be an issue and you can play games for free.
You will need an SD card to do that though, but a 4gb one is enough and those are very cheap.
This guide will get you through all of the steps if you are interested, it's not hard at all.

muchomario

Smash Cadet
The Japanese melee discs do include an english option, however the disc can still only be played on a Japanese cube or Wii.

Top Bottom