• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whoa Zone Stage (Super Paper Mario)

eryan64

Smash Rookie
I thought that the twist that appeared in "Whoa Zone" (Chapter 4-4 in SPM) would work nicely in a Smash Bros stage. In this level of the game, as some of you know, you could jump to hit a special block, that would turn you upside down. You could then venture on the ceilings with the gravity completely altered.
If this level appeared as a Smash Bros stage, there would be one of those blocks in the middle of the course that you could hit with a jump. There would be two flat, solid platforms on the top and bottom of the stage, to act as a ceiling and floor, so when you turned upside down, you woudn't "fall off the stage". There could also be a few pass-through platforms in the middle of the stage. Also, some of the enemies that appeared in the level could make a guest appearance on the stage, by quickly running across either the ceiling or floor.
This would add an entirely new twist to the fighting experience of Smash Bros, and even though it may be unlikely as a stage, I thought that the mechanics may add to some very fun gameplay. Well, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my stage idea.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
It would screw the gameplay up too much. The controls would have to be alterd too when you're upside down or when walking on the walls. And there will be some morons that will constantly spam the block.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
It would screw the gameplay up too much. The controls would have to be alterd too when you're upside down or when walking on the walls. And there will be some morons that will constantly spam the block.
Ageed. In addition to block spamming, it would end up having to be a stage that you could only get through by going through the sides otherwise you'd just hit the platform above it. I'm sorry, but it wouldn't work. Welcome to the Smash Boards though.

eryan64

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I figured that it wouldn't make for a good stage. I just thought it would call for an interest twist in mechanics, but your points make sense. I appreciate the comments, and thank you for the welcome Magnacor.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Why alter the controls? Right would still be right, only your character moves to the left (because up-side-down it would be right). They could just do some tricks to make it work.

And, block spamming shouldn't be an issue, since you can make the block disappear and reappear at a different location.

DoodahIII

Smash Rookie
There's an idea. But if you couldn't fall off the stage, how on Earth would players score points???? But on the other hand, I think that the gravity feature would be cool and also implies a little bit of SM Galaxy. :laugh:

eryan64

Smash Rookie
Sorry DoodahIII, I think I wasn't clear on that. You could still fight and knock each other off of the side of the stage. There would just be a continuous ceiling and floor, nothing blocking the sides. Think of a floor similar to that of Mario's stage in Melee (the one with all of the blocks and pulley platforms). There was no end to the ground and you could walk off of the stage, so to speak. To clear other things up, if you are on the ceiling, moving would stay the same direction, so if you wanted to move from the left side of the ceiling to the right side of the ceiling, you would push the control stick right. Oh yes, and I think random appearances of the block would be better to keep from block spamming.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Sorry DoodahIII, I think I wasn't clear on that. You could still fight and knock each other off of the side of the stage. There would just be a continuous ceiling and floor, nothing blocking the sides. Think of a floor similar to that of Mario's stage in Melee (the one with all of the blocks and pulley platforms). There was no end to the ground and you could walk off of the stage, so to speak. To clear other things up, if you are on the ceiling, moving would stay the same direction, so if you wanted to move from the left side of the ceiling to the right side of the ceiling, you would push the control stick right. Oh yes, and I think random appearances of the block would be better to keep from block spamming.
What about vertical movement? This would have to be inverted for it to feel right and even then it would be confusing.

eryan64

Smash Rookie
What about vertical movement? This would have to be inverted for it to feel right and even then it would be confusing.
Yes, it would be a whole new set of controls to get used to. I am not sure if it would be worth the hassle, but it would call for some hectic gameplay.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just replace the Final Destination type stage with one where you fight outside Count Bleck's Castle.

<3 that palce.

oraclelink

Smash Rookie
I think it would be a good stage if it switched gravity on its own, rather than with the block.

And that stage was a pain in the butt in SPM, though fun/

eryan64

Smash Rookie
Hmm...interesting. For a Super Paper Mario stage (it defintely deserves its own stage IMO) , Flipside and Flopside would be a good idea. It could start out on one of the middle floors, and it could horizontally scroll throughout the floor, then flip and go down to the next floor, flip 3D, and travel to Flopside on the straight piece of land and go through the building to Flopside. Or, of course, to keep it simple you could battle somewhere in the center of the town with guest appearances of certain characters.

That was my favorite level in Super Paper Mario, and I actually think this is a great idea. There would be no need to mess with the controls. It's just like flipping your TV on its side. You just need to change to picture, not the controls. That's how it worked in Super Paper Mario. And of course, adding large gaps to each surface would allow for KOs.

eryan64

Smash Rookie
That was my favorite level in Super Paper Mario, and I actually think this is a great idea. There would be no need to mess with the controls. It's just like flipping your TV on its side. You just need to change to picture, not the controls. That's how it worked in Super Paper Mario. And of course, adding large gaps to each surface would allow for KOs.
Yeah, cool! I'm glad someone likes the idea. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom