• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There will probably be more than 3 Third Parties

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
Seriously guys. I do not possibly understand why you hold on to that year-and-a-half old statement of 2-3 more.

The quote was something along the lines of "2-3 more characters, maybe?" I note the "maybe?". This notes that Sakurai was not sure of the number at the time. There were surely multiple companies in the talks at the time, and he did not want to solidify any number, whether it was meant for less, or more likely, more. Companies were probably jumping at the chance to promote their characters, games, and names in Smash through items, ATs, and yes, Playable Characters.

Now, lets take a hypothetical situation here....

Nintendo Representative has just gotten out of a meeting with SEGA Representative to have Sonic put into the game. Nintendo Representative is quite happy. Lets say he just got Sonic and Megaman in the game, and they have three characters now. As he walks out of the conference room, Namco Representative is there waiting for him, and asks to talk about a Namco character in Brawl. Nintendo Representative, not wanting to go against his superiors, calls a higher up about it.

What will this higher representative say?
A) "NO!!! We already have three characters in, and we cannot have ANYMORE, because Sakurai said to the fans there will only be three. I do not care about profit on it!"
B) "YES!!! Please go into the meeting. We want the profit from having [Namco Character] in Brawl."

Seriously. I would go with B. It has more profit for both Namco and Nintendo, and is just plain smarter.

Want more proof that things change?

- Reggie once said we will play Brawl on December 3rd, 2007.... oh wait. Oops, changed.
- Countless interviews of "Sonic not on the cards at the moment."

Say its impossible? I have things to counter that.

- Create a Stage would be too difficult and complex to do.
- No Pokemon trainer will ever be in the game.

Seriously. There will be more than Three third party characters. Get over it, they are in the game, and I suspect atleast 5. So the "1-2 more Third Parties" argument no longer holds much water. Stop using it.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
It seems that everyone is starting to go in that direction now. The problem is were not going to find out until Sakurai officially announces it. Im starting to believe that were going to see a lot more characters overall then originally expected. Only time will tell.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
Well most people would want more than 2 of 3 third parties, as long as is Megaman, Bomberman and Pacman, it will all be fine.
I would agree that all three of those are likely to be added. Megaman is basically a must. I could see other companies such as Square Enix getting a character in.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Just because there can possibly be more does not mean companies WANT to give those rights to Nintendo.

Additionally, to add a bunch of third party characters defeats the purpose of the game. The original game was about pitting your favorite Nintendo characters against one another, not favorite game characters in general. But, it seems that is what it is turning into now.

I think if a third party character gets in, they really need to have a heavy Nintendo background. Megaman is a great example.

Woo, 100 posts :o

Locke7301

Smash Cadet
i can see the logic in this. do you think that there would be more than 1 character from a single developer? i would love to see Simon Belmont in the game as well as Snake.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
thats what I've been trying to tell everyone. There can, and most likely WILL, be more 3rd parties. People seriously need to take that old, uncertain quote too seriously.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, anyone with MAN in there name: MegaMan, PacMan, BomberMan, RayMan, VectorMan, ManBearPig...
I'm Super-Serial.

...Woosh!!!

Just because there can possibly be more does not mean companies WANT to give those rights to Nintendo.

Additionally, to add a bunch of third party characters defeats the purpose of the game. The original game was about pitting your favorite Nintendo characters against one another, not favorite game characters in general. But, it seems that is what it is turning into now.

I think if a third party character gets in, they really need to have a heavy Nintendo background. Megaman is a great example.

This is true. A company may not want to offer a character to Smash. This, however does not mean that all will not want to.

As for the bunch of third parties, I think 5 is reasonable. A lot of companies are good friends of Nintendo, and I could see it like this. Say Nintendo was a kid who was making a drawing for Brawl. I can see him pulling the best ideas from 5 friends and placing them in the drawing without completely drawing out his drawing.

Again, I agree. Megaman is one of my MUST characters.

And congratulations. :)

i can see the logic in this. do you think that there would be more than 1 character from a single developer? i would love to see Simon Belmont in the game as well as Snake.
I doubt it. Even with more than three slots, there are a lot of companies out there. I can't see them "wasting" a slot on a second character from one company. That applies to Sonic's buddies, Snake's friend Raiden, etc. I can see him as an AT though.

thats what I've been trying to tell everyone. There can, and most likely WILL, be more 3rd parties. People seriously need to take that old, uncertain quote too seriously.
Agreed.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Well most people would want more than 2 of 3 third parties, as long as is Megaman, Bomberman and Pacman, it will all be fine.
If those 3 were added I'd be satisfied. Plus Geno if he counts as 3rd party which Ive recently hearing that technically he's not, but I dunno what to think.

EPX2

Smash Ace

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Hell, I wouldn't even be too surprised, to be completely honest, to find out that Sonic and Snake are the sole third-party characters (though, chances are that this won't be the case).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I believe 4-5 tops are what we are gonna see here are the choices which are most likely:

Sonic - Confirmed
Snake - Confirmed
Megaman - N/A
Geno - N/A
Bomberman - N/A
Pac-Man - N/A

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
Well, it was in Ign's podcast, I think, where they said that it WILL be more third party characters than just 3. That gives me the impression that they know something we don't. So I wuld also go for the guess that five third party characters seems likely.

Then who would those be?

I'm pretty confident that Megaman is one of them, and also Geno (if he counts as third party) Other than those two, it's just guesses. I would like Chrono, but if Geno counts as a Square-Enix character then Chrono's chances is reduced by much. There is of course Bomberman, but can he really have a great moveset, I mean other than bombs, bombs, and bombs...

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
I believe 4-5 tops are what we are gonna see here are the choices which are most likely:

Sonic - Confirmed
Snake - Confirmed
Megaman - N/A
Geno - N/A
Bomberman - N/A
Pac-Man - N/A
First off, Geno does not count as Third Party. Square said they are releasing nothing on the VC that was their property, and SMRPG is coming to the VC, so Geno is Nintendo property. Thanks God, I do NOT want him taking up a third party space as a Mario character. Replace Geno with Black Mage (who I prefer) or Chrono and I fully agree with that list. Although, I do not expect Bomberman as much as the others.

Well, it was in Ign's podcast, I think, where they said that it WILL be more third party characters than just 3. That gives me the impression that they know something we don't. So I wuld also go for the guess that five third party characters seems likely.

Then who would those be?

I'm pretty confident that Megaman is one of them, and also Geno (if he counts as third party) Other than those two, it's just guesses. I would like Chrono, but if Geno counts as a Square-Enix character then Chrono's chances is reduced by much. There is of course Bomberman, but can he really have a great moveset, I mean other than bombs, bombs, and bombs...
Yes, IGN seems to be getting more intelligent by the day. They know there will be more because there are probably more.

Yes. Megaman is a must, as I have said countless times. As said above, Geno is not a third party. Chrono is one of the two morel likely Square Enix characters, but I expect one of the classic FF characters, namely Black Mage. Bomberman I do not like, so I do not believe he will be in, but that could be me being ignorant.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
why in gods name do people want pac man....?a dude who spends his whole life eatting some dot thingies -_-;; if he was in(or WW link) i wouldnt even spend my money on brawl >_> to me those 2 are just a waste of space

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
why in gods name do people want pac man....?a dude who spends his whole life eatting some dot thingies -_-;; if he was in(or WW link) i wouldnt even spend my money on brawl >_> to me those 2 are just a waste of space
Like it or not, Pac-man is possible. He is a gaming icon from a large third party. Even if his new games are mediocre, his old stuff is and always will be good and addicting. Thats why people, including myself, think he will be in Brawl. I hope you enjoy that 50$ you saved if he is in.

I agree with WW Link however. Loved WW and love Phantom Hourglass... but ONE Link is enough.

raul

Smash Lord
Pac Man needs to seriously considered as a character rep. Almost every human on the planet can recongize him and has played one of his numerous games. If PacMan isnt in brawl, I would be quite shocked.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
Well, I couldn't agree more about Pac Man, but even if he will be in (hopefully not) it will not make this game bad. And it isn't many games out there that gives you more for the money of just one game. Even if Pac man would be in it!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
First off, Geno does not count as Third Party. Square said they are releasing nothing on the VC that was their property, and SMRPG is coming to the VC, so Geno is Nintendo property. Thanks God, I do NOT want him taking up a third party space as a Mario character. Replace Geno with Black Mage (who I prefer) or Chrono and I fully agree with that list. Although, I do not expect Bomberman as much as the others..
hmm.. I never knew, that's interesting to hear, all this time I thought he was 3rd party :dizzy: but yea I guess Black Mage would be a good addition even though i'm not all of for him he is still a great character to see

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think Pacman is more likely AT, but who knows.

Mega Man is likely.

Geno is probably not going to happen though.

Bomberman as AT, maybe.

My opinions. I would not be surprised to see only three third party playables, but have some ATs instead of more playable characters. Pacman and Bomberman just have moveset issues. I know fans have come up with some, but... that doesn't mean Sakurai will use them. I figure he might come up with something, but it would be far more difficult than some other characters.

Geno = Square = bad history with Nintendo (IMO). They created an amazing series on Nintendo consoles and then ditched Nintendo for Sony/PlayStation. I don't see Nintendo returning any favors just yet.

vesperview

Smash Hero

Mega Man is likely.

Bomberman as AT, maybe.

My opinions. I would not be surprised to see only three third party playables, but have some ATs instead of more playable characters. Pacman and Bomberman just have moveset issues. I know fans have come up with some, but... that doesn't mean Sakurai will use them. I figure he might come up with something, but it would be far more difficult than some other characters.

Geno = Square = bad history with Nintendo (IMO). They created an amazing series on Nintendo consoles and then ditched Nintendo for Sony/PlayStation. I don't see Nintendo returning any favors just yet.
You think Gray Fox just opened the door for major third party characters to be AT's right? I doubt Namco would let pacman appear in Brawl only as an AT or Hudson let Bomberman for that matter, is a slap in the face.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I don't understand why a quote from Sakurai himself holds no water. Like you pointed out, he said "1-2 more Characters, maybe."

That could mean only one more 3rd party Character. Maybe Sonic and Snake are the only 2.

I wont be surprised if people think the Dojo holds no water next. I actually had an argument with a guy about that on here once.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice

Mega Man is likely.

Bomberman as AT, maybe.

I don't think third party characters will be playable if there's not a playable character from the same game or game series... I mean Gray Fox is an AT only because Snake is a playable character. But of course I think that both Bomberman and Pac Man would work much better as ATs, but I just don't see that coming... They're either playable or not in the game at all.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice

Mega Man is likely.

Bomberman as AT, maybe.

Again, I am not saying there WILL be more than three, I am saying there probably will. As for the ATs, I expect Tails and Knuckles and maybe Eggman and Shadow, and Raiden, but thats it from our current series. They don't have moveset problems. If fans can think of movesets, Sakurai can. I am sure it was difficult for Falcon too.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
Pac Man needs to seriously considered as a character rep. Almost every human on the planet can recongize him and has played one of his numerous games. If PacMan isnt in brawl, I would be quite shocked.
I agree. Though does namco see it that way I think they will put some sc character in brawl to promote the crap game sc legends. Why couldn't they have giving wii owners sc4

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
My guess would be 2 more - one from Square Enix and one from Capcom. People really have to stop turning Mr Sakurai's innocent thoughts into word of God.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think Namco could offer a much better playable character than Pacman, thus, Pacman could be a good AT.

I don't know anything Hudson Soft made other than Bomberman but I do not think he would make much of a playable character. I gave said AT over nothing basically, that was if he got in at all, which I do doubt strongly.

I think the other two were self explanatory enough.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I totally agree serosfan. There will be a lot more 3rd party chars. Maybe 4-6 I suspect. They can't just give us Sonic without his pals right? But I don't think there will be anymore reps from Snake series though.

Top Bottom