• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Odyssey Match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Being bored and near the end of smash, there’s not much more we can do to have new and novel ways to play. Born from an argument of whose low tiers are better than whose, Eddie and I decided to make a new system of competition. We have dubbed it “The Odyssey” for how epic it is. This is mainly for people who have overall good knowledge of the game and not too much on those who play one or two characters only. This also takes around an hour and some change to play.
How it works.

*Each person makes an “order of play” list which is hidden from each other. You mark all 26 characters down once (26 because Shiek and Zelda are counted as two different ones) There will be no alteration of the order once they are confirmed as finished. Each of your characters will only play one match, regardless of winning or losing.

*We used paper/rock/scissors (you can use whatever means you want) to determine stage picking order. Once you have it down who’s going to choose the stage first, you keep your characters hidden and that person chooses their stage before the characters to be used are known. Players take turns picking stages back and forth. All stages are declared before characters are chosen. Each stage may only be played once during the Odyssey match. This creates some strategy since you might want to save a neutral stage for your high tier, yet also have to consider that your opponent might use it as well for their favorite match.

*A point system is used to determine the winner of the 25-man set, where more points are given for winning with a lower tier character. For example, 1 point is given for top tiers, 2 for high tiers, 3 for middle and so on… It’s a good idea to write these results down since it will be a pain to remember. As of now, the tier list stands as:

Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Although due to the specifics of the players you might want to alter to how you both see fit and fair. (i.e. Eddie and I made a custom tier list we both agreed on)

We had our matches and there were some really fun ones. Also, strategy is really fun to play around with when it’s your turn to pick a stage, since you already know who you’re going to be. And it’s really satisfying when you beat someone with a low tier who earns you good points. Remember that five “top tier” wins equals one “bottom tier” win. (Assuming you have a 5 tier ranking system) If you were inclined to do so, you could even rank each character with a number from 1-25 for a really detailed ranking system. You also get a good feel for some stupid levels and how to adapt on the spot.

[For the record, Eddie beat me 40-25 and I will have the match uploaded on Google when I get the time for those who are bored enough to watch a 45 min match.]

It was tons of fun and a bunch of people who were still around from a tournament that had just ended enjoyed it as well. We still want to tinker around with the details, so any constructive input is welcome.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I must say that the name for it is perfect. I must also say that it would be one of times that I'd be glad my best is Bowser. XD

For such a case should a personalized List be created? (For example I would have Bowser at the top, followed by Mario, and Ice Climbers would be towards the bottom.) That would probably get too complicated though, and be subject to judgement.

All in all, I definitely want to try this sometime.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I must say that the name for it is perfect. I must also say that it would be one of times that I'd be glad my best is Bowser. XD

For such a case should a personalized List be created? (For example I would have Bowser at the top, followed by Mario, and Ice Climbers would be towards the bottom.) That would probably get too complicated though, and be subject to judgement.

All in all, I definitely want to try this sometime.
You could certainly make up your own insane tier list, but your opponent would have to agree, since you are both using the same one.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Rock Paper Scissors isn't random (except for the first throw). You can use strategy after that to beat your opponent in it.

Sounds interesting...

Zjiin

Smash Master
Rock Paper Scissors isn't random (except for the first throw). You can use strategy after that to beat your opponent in it.

Sounds interesting...
Yeah, but it's not really a big deal who starts out with the turns of picking a stage. Lol, i think i wrote a whole article once on paper/rock/scissors strategy.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
I love rock paper scissors. The fast thinking is insane.

Oh, and I do love this idea. Kudos ,Zjiin; something good happened to you from a Cave tourney, afterall.

Le0n

Smash Rookie
This might be kind for fun. Maybe, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a friend who only plays one character. It will be funny.

Tink

Smash Hero
me and damien will have one and we shall try it.

but i got a better stage for DK then termina =).....think of cargo and.......ICICLE MOUTAIN! done!

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'd probably do this just for some Rock Paper Scissors XD
This is like ironman 2.0, it's inventive, congrats on your creativity!

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I did one with (Pika)Chad last night. Too much fun. I lost 33 stock to 11 (didn't bother with the tier points). We did it where you got to choose the stage after the characters were revealed, though, which made for some interesting matchups. Like
NO ITEMS
GREEN FOX ONLY
BRINSTAR DEPTHS

Zjiin

Smash Master
I did one with (Pika)Chad last night. Too much fun. I lost 33 stock to 11 (didn't bother with the tier points). We did it where you got to choose the stage after the characters were revealed, though, which made for some interesting matchups. Like
NO ITEMS
GREEN FOX ONLY
BRINSTAR DEPTHS
Glad you had fun, but you completely neglected the whole point of the Odyssey match.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Glad you had fun, but you completely neglected the whole point of the Odyssey match.
It looked to me like the whole point was to play all the characters in the game on almost all the stages, mainly for the sake of variety and enjoyment, as well as testing your ability to adapt to matchups you rarely see on stages you almost never see.. The method of keeping score seemed kind of trivial >_>

Zjiin

Smash Master
It looked to me like the whole point was to play all the characters in the game on almost all the stages, mainly for the sake of variety and enjoyment, as well as testing your ability to adapt to matchups you rarely see on stages you almost never see.. The method of keeping score seemed kind of trivial >_>
Yeah, i can see how it might be interpreted like that, and the variety is for entertainment, but the reason we created it was to prove that when balancing the tiers out with a point system, the better overall smasher would come out on top. (can anyone say run-on sentence?) The reason for the stages being picked before the characters is that you will have to have a good idea of where your characters are best at, regardless of your opponent. Also, being able to pick stages to counterpick your opponents characters is saying more about your counter knowledge, than it is about your own character usage.

Also, lol, how was the fox ditto the most interesting one!??! Our best ones were Jigs vs DK on YS64, Y.link vs Jigs on IM, Yoshi vs Samus on Fourside, and Ness vs Luigi on Temple. High tier vs high tier is what you should be having least fun with.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
And that is one reason why Termina is banned, folks. DK up-throw spiking down underneath the main platform.

God, that stage is the ****. Legal for Doubles too W00T lol

Razed

Smash Ace
Two things:

1. Is each a 1 stock match or something? Cause 25 4 stock matches = alot longer than 45 mins

2. You said "You mark all 25 characters down once (25 because Shiek and Zelda are counted as two different ones)"... if they count as 2 different chars, then why "All 25"?

Zjiin

Smash Master
Two things:

1. Is each a 1 stock match or something? Cause 25 4 stock matches = alot longer than 45 mins

2. You said "You mark all 25 characters down once (25 because Shiek and Zelda are counted as two different ones)"... if they count as 2 different chars, then why "All 25"?
1. Yeah 4 stock matches, with about 3 mins a match does equal out to around little more than an hour. I never thought about the math before.

2. You know, I've never counted them before, so that was kinda a guess. I guess it would be 26 now. I never thought about the math before. Fix'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom