• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Videos and Impressions from E for All!

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
I didn't go to E for all, couldn't make it. But lets make a place where we can compile all of the impressions of Yoshi, what happened, or more importantly what didn't happen from E for all.

Grab all the posts from other threads where they shouldn't be and make them here, or more importantly if you did go make the complete list of his moves and changes. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

I grabbed these from the E for all Video Compilation Page ( Thanks Gimpy! ;)
Most of them hurt me inside because all they do is the hip drop, its obvious that they don't know how to play, but maybe you guys can get a feel for the new look, some of the new moves from the vids. I'll be adding more as I find them.

Yoshi Brawl vids:

IGN: Castle Siege Brawl: All 3 Levels (Yoshi, Mario, Metaknight and Diddy Kong)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evajWSPy7SA

IGN: Pit vs Yoshi on Norfair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8I_kzfCauo

The Return of Sudden Death (featuring Albino DK, Yoshi FS and Sonic vs Metaknight goodness)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/116759.html (Thanks BDAOutlaw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZsxnQiCyo
Peach, Metaknight, Yoshi and Fox. There's a girl's head in the way XD. Golden Hammer looks insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Kbuj_Ybp0
Final Smash Complilaton showing everyone's FS this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy1nynXoosc
Link vs Ike vs Yoshi vs Link. You can see the missing part of he bridge come back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-I-pAGjLw
Diddy vs Yoshi. Diddy's tail combo. Camera wanders away, comes back at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMKh5FAouoo
Diddy Kong, Link, Yoshi and Metaknight. Link's Final Smash. Creator's comments state that you can get a free FS when you're playing poorly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4Dx331JDE
DK, Link, Pikachu and Yoshi. Crumbling statues, and Yoshi deals out punishment with his Final Smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWGe22oNSk
Lylat Cruise: Pit, Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO_MjeQipww
Diddy (Dixie costume), Bowser, Yoshi and Samus on Yoshi's Island. Giga Bowser.

!!This is Gimpyfish's full evaluation of Yoshi!!
Full and detailed, just how we like it, enjoy.

A lot of people stayed away from Yoshi after they realized he lost his treasured double jump cancel. Before I actually begin talking about Yoshi I’d like to point out that we were NOT playing THIS Yoshi correctly. We continually tried to double jump cancel and do the things that were effective in melee instinctively rather than try out a lot of new things because this is a new Yoshi. That being said, Yoshi saw some nice changes outside of the loss of his double jump cancel in Brawl... But he still can't jump out of his sheild.

Yoshi seems to run at a pretty average speed, he isn’t very fast, but I wouldn’t describe him as slow. He has some power, but not too much power. Yoshi seems to have some pretty decent combo potential in this game, even forgoing his double jump cancel. His buffs were actually pretty apparent, but people had trouble getting around the lack of his DJC. Yoshi DID keep his super armor during his double jump, and also received a nice and very welcome change in his up b this time around.

Yoshi all around has definitely seen a range buff, but maintains his strength from the old games. Yoshi’s aerials saw a nice improvement in the transition from Melee to Brawl. His down air was the most noticeably improved, it acts far more similarly to the 64 predecessor than its melee counterpart. I’m unsure if the damage output is quite as high, but the move is certainly improved from Melee in this game. His forward air seemed to be a little bit faster and setup nicely for almost all of his smash attacks at lower percentages. Yoshi’s back air has MASSIVELY increased range this time around and does a good amount of damage. Yoshi’s up air is still pretty strong, is a nice setup, and also has increased range.

Yoshi’s specials saw some changes as well, but mostly minor. His side b does noticeably more damage and knockback, and seems to have less startup time with more priority – although I personally don’t see many ways to apply it in a singles match still. Yoshi’s neutral b works the same as it did in Melee and in smash 64, it didn’t see very many changes. Yoshi’s down b also didn’t see a lot of change from Melee to Brawl. It’s still more or less the same move, you can still grab the ledge with his down b as well. Yoshi’s nice healthy change was in his up b. Yoshi can use his up b and actually gain some height in the air with it. And what’s even better is that you can use it multiple times (you don’t actually gain height from doing it over and over, think Samus’s bomb jumps from melee, but not quite as high). Because there is no longer a directional air dodge, this one is a lifesaver for Yoshi because he can grab the edge while doing this move. Otherwise this move is the same, with a SMALL improvement in knockback from what I remember.

Overall Yoshi seemed like he should’ve been much better than he was being played. We were trying to do our old tricks with this character, and that’s simply not how this new Yoshi works. We are going to have to learn something very new with this one! Yoshi has enough of everything, but not an excess of anything. He has enough speed, power, comboability, knockback, and recovery; this makes him a decent, but not great character overall from what we saw.

Ice man

Smash Journeyman
I didn't go to E for all but yoshi probably hasn't changed at all.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I didn't go to E for all but yoshi probably hasn't changed at all.
The donkey talked

From the videos i saw yoshi has these improvements:

Ranged DOUBLED, and i mean DOUBLED literaly. The oversized he with oxygen or nitrogen or something
Quicker: fair for example and smashes
UpB impulse he a bit, without you having to free-fall. It is momentum (if you was going to the right or left, this will make you impulse higher, and to the right or to the left), and also you can throw eggs and go down slowly, so is a very good thing
He is more cute than before

Nerfed in:

Djc out >-<

I will search vids with the range of yoshi doubled, and the impulse in the air ;)

Ice man

Smash Journeyman
The donkey talked

From the videos i saw yoshi has these improvements:

Ranged DOUBLED, and i mean DOUBLED literaly. The oversized he with oxygen or nitrogen or something
Quicker: fair for example and smashes
Uair impulse he a bit, without you having to free-fall. It is momentum (if you was going to the right or left, this will make you impulse higher, and to the right or to the left), and also you can throw eggs and go down slowly, so is a very good thing
He is more cute than before
man, yoshi sounds alot better. P.S. who you calling a donkey? :mad:

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
man, yoshi sounds alot better. P.S. who you calling a donkey? :mad:
You :p

In spain there is a prober who is "The donkey talked" (Well, rebuzner but i think this doesn't exists in english xDDDD) and is sayed for people who talks before searching or think a bit.

Peace ;)

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good stuff. Please post all your Yoshi impressions from E 4 All here @ the ones who attended ^^ I will make this the official thread to do so. *Sticky*

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I doubt it...but it would be frikin awethum to have Black and White Yoshi...that shouldve been part of Yoshi's Final Smash if they werent gunna be in anyway...so your eggs pack more punch and the butstomp shakes the screen...but Id rather have a fully playable Black Yoshi...

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Quoting myself from a past post:

Yoshi stuff I'd noticed:
-Still cannot shield jump
-Bair and Dsmash(dtilt too) have more range thanks to elongated tail
-Grab still sucks imo - same short range and windup lag
-Forward+B does not leave you completely helpless, though it's still kinda useless
-Either it's me, or Yoshi's usmash does NOT have as much priority as it used to
-Egg Toss does give Yoshi some extra distance when in the air, and it doesn't leave you completely helpless after doing so in the air(at least from what I saw)
-Egg Toss also has less lag, or it's just me.
-Yoshi sex kick and bair also seems to have more priority than they used to
EDIT:
-How the hell could I forget that YOSHI'S DJC IS NOW INVALID? The attack will occur, yes, but he will continue on his jump trajectory.

I also noticed DI'ing is more notable - at one round of the "tournament" they had there, I was easily DI'ing smash attacks up to around 200%.
Now, these were first impressions made on Thursday. Now that the final day of E For All(SADFASE) is over, I'd like to go over some of those points, and bring up some new ones.

-Bair and Dsmash(dtilt too) have more range thanks to elongated tail
Most of Yoshi's attacks have gotten a range upgrade either with the tail growing longer during the attack or his boot/head growing larger(ala ftilt).

-Grab still sucks imo - same short range and windup lag
I tried it a few times today. It seems to have gotten a tiny bit more range than it seems, kinda like Marth's grab. And either it was just me, or the windup lag and ending lag doesn't seem to be as bad as before.

I still don't like it, though. I think should be longer :p

-Egg Toss does give Yoshi some extra distance when in the air, and it doesn't leave you completely helpless after doing so in the air(at least from what I saw)
What I mean with this is that, well, think of Mario using his cape or Samus bomb jumping off the stage. It grants them a bit of floatiness/extra vertical height in order to make more horizontal distance, right? Using the egg in midair basically puts Yoshi a little bit higher than he was before he tossed it.

...though the lagtime between eggs means you can't get infinite distance from it, of course. It's not much vertical distance, but it's there.

-How the hell could I forget that YOSHI'S DJC IS NOW INVALID? The attack will occur, yes, but he will continue on his jump trajectory.
Ah, yes. The lack of a DJC. A lot of Yoshi players and non-Yoshis alike are reeling at this change, saying it's all for the worse. Sure it's bad that we can't do floaty kicks or reverse fairs, but let's look at how it works. I think we can come up with some ideas from it.

Basically, before, during Yoshi's jump, if you performed an attack at anytime during the jump, all your jump's momentum would be cancelled(though you'd float a bit before dropping down).

Rather than stopping all your momentum, with DJC out, Yoshi will continue in the jump's path with the attack active. This might be predictable yes, but remember it's possible to do one hop and the second jump in the other direction(I've seen Gabe do this at E For All without having Yoshi turn around inbetween jumps).

Bloshi mentioned this at the SSBM Yoshi forums:
COMBO IDEA!: RDJC a fair at high percentages, the enemy will pop up, and your jump will keep you going. DI next to them and land the finisher! I want to see if this works...
Which I found works, but I think it's a little too situational. In general I think fair/nair would work best for the mobile damage.

Now, the other issue that I couldn't fully confirm(sadly) is:
Does Yoshi still have CC properties while doing an attack during the second jump?

-Yoshi's final smash is kinda awkward.
Yoshi's kind of an awkward character in general(that's one thing I like about him) though the flying portion of the Final Smash just seems harder to control than Pikachu's.

The fireballs, as probably mentioned before, have significant lagtime to prevent rapid fire, and for good purpose. The fireballs have massive knockback per hit(this is considering that most attacks have had their knockback toned down!), do 25% damage per fireball, cannot be reflected or blocked, but can be destroyed if the opponent times an attack on it correctly(as I've seen Sonic do to it... once).

One thing I couldn't figure out how to do(consistently) but I've seen often was that Yoshi would be breathing fire ala Bowser. I have no idea how it happens, but I know it's part of the Final Smash.

Now that I think on it, I should have experimented to find if Yoshi's lightshield still had the same properties it did in Melee.

EDIT:
Oh, and the Black/White Yoshi variations weren't in the game. The available colors were...
Green, Red, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Pink

Yeah, I was kinda sad at that too.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
So the oversized yoshi is better doesnt it?

I'm sure i was in a video the Fsmash was twice yoshi's normal head.

I hope for he being at least middle tier :(

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
So the oversized yoshi is better doesnt it?

I'm sure i was in a video the Fsmash was twice yoshi's normal head.

I hope for he being at least middle tier :(
I agree with you, I am sick of Yoshi being low on the tier list, but unfortunatly, even thought Yoshi has improved... so have all the other characters. So I am guessing that we will be lucky if yoshi makes mid tier... I think his FS is pretty good, in a vid, I saw him KO a Bowser 2times, once when he was at about 150%, but the other time when he was at 0. Meh, at least his FS seems better than some of the other characters, such as DK and Pika.

secretweapon

Smash Apprentice
idk...im having serious thoughts about maining some1 else for online play. yoshi's horizontal recovery seems a lot worse compared to all the other characters. does he still have invincibility frames in his jump?

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
idk...im having serious thoughts about maining some1 else for online play. yoshi's horizontal recovery seems a lot worse compared to all the other characters. does he still have invincibility frames in his jump?
I thought I established in my post that yes, Yoshi's second jump is still mobile CC and that the eggs help with horizontal recovery?

EDIT:
Oh wait. My bad. I didn't establish the mobile CC part.

But yes, you can still CC, though there are attacks that can break you out of it - just like in Melee.

secretweapon

Smash Apprentice
I thought I established in my post that yes, Yoshi's second jump is still mobile CC and that the eggs help with horizontal recovery?

EDIT:
Oh wait. My bad. I didn't establish the mobile CC part.

But yes, you can still CC, though there are attacks that can break you out of it - just like in Melee.
sorry, i just interpreted from your tone that the eggs dont make much difference compared to the third jumps of other characters

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
sorry, i just interpreted from your tone that the eggs dont make much difference compared to the third jumps of other characters
You're right, they don't - the up+b's meant to be used in a similar fashion to Samus bomb jumping or Mario cape spamming.

Yoshi's second jump pretty much provides most of the distance Yoshi covers off the stage.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
one of the main problems wish yoshi is that we kept trying to play him like the melee yoshi rather than letting go the old strategies (like djc) yoshi wasn't THAT bad other than that, he had combos and what not, seems to have some potential, but again no jump out of sheild hurts him pretty bad.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
one of the main problems wish yoshi is that we kept trying to play him like the melee yoshi rather than letting go the old strategies (like djc) yoshi wasn't THAT bad other than that, he had combos and what not, seems to have some potential, but again no jump out of sheild hurts him pretty bad.
Well i'm shocked with yoshi being low tier... but i didn't use the jump out shield that mcuh with other characters... is not that important i think.

meh i want the ga,me

D

Deleted member

Well i'm shocked with yoshi being low tier... but i didn't use the jump out shield that mcuh with other characters... is not that important i think.

meh i want the ga,me
Being able to jump out of shield means being able to wavedash out of shield, which is ESSENTIAL with other characters. This is Yoshis main downfall, but with wavedashing gone, im not sure how bad that will be. I mean, its still a bad disadvantage, but still, with all of Yoshis other boosts, i can see him mid tier.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
Even with wavedashing gone, its still a big disadvantage. Because it leaves Yoshi with less options out of his shield. And with his grab being lousy as well, it means that basically the only option he does have is to just drop the shield, or UpSmash out of it, if you can still do that.

So it definately seems he still has his immunity during second jump... but any word on whether that was IMPROVED, even? In Melee, you could still knock him "out" of his jump with a strong enough attack. It wouldn't knock him away directly, but it would stop him in his tracks and often leave him to fall to his death.

I'm hoping it acts exactly like the Super Armor that Ike and other heavies seem to have. Meaning there's absolutely NO stagger or stopping, no matter how hard the hit is. If thats how super armor works, anyway.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
He never had invincibility frames in his jump. The second jump just made him a LOT heavier.

Even with wavedashing gone, its still a big disadvantage. Because it leaves Yoshi with less options out of his shield. And with his grab being lousy as well, it means that basically the only option he does have is to just drop the shield, or UpSmash out of it, if you can still do that..
How does no wavedashing mean less options for Yoshi out of his shield? As Gimpy stated, he STILL can't just out of his shield, which automatically means he can't wavedash out of it either. WHICH also means he has never been able to Upsmash out of shield ;_; Yoshi's only options seem to be:

1) Dropping the shield
2) Rolling
3) Sidestepping

And that's it. Number 1 is probably the safest option most times, but it depends how fast his roll is. Maybe someone knows how fast it is? If it's still as slow and travels the same distance in Melee, then I'm gonna cry =( I plan on maining Yoshi (as well as a crapload of other characters xD).

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I'm saying Yoshi in general has less options out of his shield compared to other characters, because of his inability to jump out of it. Not comparing Brawl Yoshi to Melee Yoshi.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yoshi's double jump was LOADS stronger in the original smash. You could be at 70% in that game and still not flinch when fluttering through a smash attack. In Melee a strong smash or spike could stop you at like 30% which was always disappointing to me. Since many veteran characters seem to be enjoying some renewed 64 treatment, perhaps Yoshi will too?

Like gimpy has stated, we need to stop thinking of Yoshi as Melee Yoshi. Since he got smaller, his tail and feet attacks were made to stretch so that his already poor reach in Melee wasnt affected. In fact, this means that he almost looks like he has disjointed hitboxes with some of those moves! The bair, dtilt, and uair are the prime examples of this.

And no double jump canceling might not be that bad. I can already imagine a combo with repeated uair hits through just his jumps! Picture Yoshi doing an uair right after a double jump. He would smack them up and then follow with the momentum of the second jump so you can land another hit or two! In fact, what if you can double jump uair right into a dair? Its a crazy idea, but one possible with double jump canceling gone. I cant wait to get the game and experiment with these things...

secretweapon

Smash Apprentice
dang chepe, u just gave me an entirely new prospective of brawl yoshi. if thats possible yoshi could have some seriously sick combos

Also in the diddy vs yoshi vid (links on first post), exactly wat happens to yoshi at 0:03? it looks like he jumps with a screw attack but with the quality i cant see him holding any items...

Edit: nvm, that is the screw attack item

Pkaz01

Smash Cadet
Yoshi is awesome.. did they make him any better in Brawl. His final smash looks awesome but other then that I didn't notice anything new with Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

Also, with no more DJC we can probably do lots of combos after ledgehopping because u dont stop ur jump. Im confident Sakurai will make yoshi bettr in this game.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Yoshi sounds better with the range buff, and I like the additional recovery to his up b, now I can grab that ledge! It even seems cool for anti-edgeguarding to cause you can aim the egg at them as you try and grab the ledge.

Percon

Smash Lord
And that's it. Number 1 is probably the safest option most times, but it depends how fast his roll is. Maybe someone knows how fast it is? If it's still as slow and travels the same distance in Melee, then I'm gonna cry =( I plan on maining Yoshi (as well as a crapload of other characters xD).
The Lylat cruise video shows him rolling a lot. Looks a weeee bit faster to me (but still subpar)

Also, since DJC is gone, you can use the double jump to get back onstage and try to cancel out with nair/airdoge oncoming attacks! ...possibly.

Zek

Smash Ace
The new airdodge seems like it would be a nice boost to Yoshi's recovery. He can airdodge during his double jump and cover a lot more ground while invincible than in Melee.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
I'm still wondering on some of this, and want to try it once I get my hands on the game(we all should):

Is Yoshi's second jump treated as mobile CC again, or as Super armor?

Do you still retain your IRON WALL NON FLINCHING-NESS while attacking during the second jump?

Two things I wasn't able to confirm at E4A, sadly

Chepe

Smash Lord
Guys, I just saw a video is some awesome quality footage, and something that could be MAJOR NEWS for Yoshi...

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/6968/super-smash-bros-brawl-2-videos-in-1-at-e-for-all-expo-2007/

At first, Yoshi does an odd new move twice, looks like its a down tilt or something (but I think his Melee down tilt has been seen in another vid). A bit later, he rolls around Pit and grabs him. His down throw seems to have better knockback. It threw Pit pretty high at 20%. But right after comes the BIG part...

Right after throwing Pit, Sonic hits Yoshi who techs it just fine. Then, he turns around, jumps in the air, double jumps and air dodges at the same time, which sends him down into the ground. As in, he Double Jump Canceled with his air dodge! While it may sound useless at first, think about a certain Melee technique that required you to air dodge into the ground...

Thats right, it might just be that Yoshi is the first known wavedasher in Brawl! Imagine Yoshi's potential if he was the only character able to do this? Tell me what you guys think of that part of the footage...

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I just saw a video is some awesome quality footage, and something that could be MAJOR NEWS for Yoshi...

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/6968/super-smash-bros-brawl-2-videos-in-1-at-e-for-all-expo-2007/

At first, Yoshi does an odd new move twice, looks like its a down tilt or something (but I think his Melee down tilt has been seen in another vid). A bit later, he rolls around Pit and grabs him. His down throw seems to have better knockback. It threw Pit pretty high at 20%. But right after comes the BIG part...

Right after throwing Pit, Sonic hits Yoshi who techs it just fine. Then, he turns around, jumps in the air, double jumps and air dodges at the same time, which sends him down into the ground. As in, he Double Jump Canceled with his air dodge! While it may sound useless at first, think about a certain Melee technique that required you to air dodge into the ground...

Thats right, it might just be that Yoshi is the first known wavedasher in Brawl! Imagine Yoshi's potential if he was the only character able to do this? Tell me what you guys think of that part of the footage...
There is already a thread just like this. It does look like he's wavedashing. However, air dodges are not supposed to be directional, that is to say, can't be directed like in Melee, to wavedash. They are supposed to keep your character staying in place. There is a possibility that he does a jump and then quickly Fairs to the ground, like you can in Melee. It does almost the same thing.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I don't know about you guys but at 5:43 to 5:44 to me looks like Yoshi still has his DJC(Double-Jump Cancel) still when Sonic dose his Up Smash and Yoshi still continues to go up and he doesn't flinch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lwOjKErEU
yes i posted this is in two threads​

Top Bottom