• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**ToS Presents: CLASH OF THE TITANS Melee/Brawl Tourney - DISCUSS COT DATES NOW**

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
CLASH OF THE TITANS!!
Welcome to the official SmashBoards thread for Clash of the Titans! Clash of the Titans is a new line of Smash tournaments ran by the ToS crew in South Jersey and Philadelphia, PA.

NEWS

Preliminary CoT4 information

Note: All information below is outdated and made for CoT3. Once new details for CoT4 have been made, this front post will be updated accordingly

DATE
  • 2 Day Tournament! May 31st - June 1st 2008

TIME
  • 10:00am - 11:30pm Saturday
  • 10:00am - 10:00pm Sunday

LOCATION/VENUE
Unfortunately we were unable to reserve the same space for two days in a row due to other events being scheduled there, so the event is held at a different place on Sunday than it is on Saturday. They are only a block away from each other though.

On Saturday, the tournament will be held at:
  • Myers Hall
    3301 Race Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19104
    Located in the: Tutor Lounge

On Sunday, the tournament will be held at:
  • Van Rensselaer
    3320 Powelton Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19104
(walking distance from 30th street station)
Part of Drexel University

ATTENTION! Photo ID is required for entry into both buildings! Anything will work, even a simple school ID.

PRICE
  • Entrance Fee: $5 (Good for both days)
  • Melee Singles: $10
  • Melee Doubles: $20 per team ($10 per person)
  • Melee Crews: $20 per crew
  • Brawl Singles: $10
  • Brawl Doubles: $20 per team ($10 per person)
  • 64 Singles: $5

ENTRANCE FEE DISCOUNT
  • We need all the TV's and game setups we can get, and the more there is, the better the tournament is!
    Get $3 off of your entrance fee for bringing a TV, and $2 off for bringing a system + game.
    If you bring both a system and a TV that means the entrance price is free for you!

PRIZES
  • Singles Tournaments:
    65% of singles pot to 1st Place
    25% of singles pot to 2nd Place
    10% of singles pot to 3rd Place
    4th and 5th place receive their singles entrance money back (if there is 50 or more people)
  • Doubles Tournaments:
    70% of doubles pot to 1st Place
    20% of doubles pot to 2nd Place
    10% of doubles pot to 3rd Place
  • Melee Crews:
    100% of crew pot to 1st Place
  • 64 Singles:
    100% of singles pot to 1st Place
    2nd place gets their money back
For the singles tournament, we will take out the money needed for 4th and 5th place, then the percents for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will be taken from what's left.

CONTACT
You can contact either:

TOURNAMENTS
  • Melee Singles Tournament - Double Elimination seeded by pools and location
  • Melee Doubles Tournament - Double Elimination seeded by
  • Melee Crews Tournament - Double Elimination seeded by location
  • Brawl Singles Tournament - Double Elimination seeded by location (will be seeded by pools if there is enough people)
  • Brawl Doubles Tournament - Double Elimination seeded by location
  • 64 Singles Tournament - Double Elimination seeded randomly
*Method for seeding by location: Major respect to crews, followed by location , and other various groups (i.e. same high school or college, etc.)

PRESENTING MELEE vs BRAWL: THE CREW BATTLE TO END THEM ALL!!!
The affects of Brawl on our Smash community is undeniable. One of the biggest problems is that no matter how much Brawl fans practice the game and continue to get good at it, we are at rivalry with the Melee elitists who claim to be amazing at the game, despite barely playing it, and never entering any tournaments. Who is better at Brawl? The fans of Melee or fans of Brawl. It all comes down to this. On June 1st (Sunday), we will conclude Clash of the Titans III with a special event, a giant regional-sized Brawl crew battle. The two teams? Melee and Brawl.

On the Melee team we are looking for the obvious die hard fans of Melee. So die hard that they practically never play Brawl, have no practice in it, and yet can still back up their trash talk with their incredible Smash knowledge being the smart players they are. We're going to be strict with who we allow on the Melee team. Even if you "support Melee more," the main point of this team are people who almost never play the game. We're look at people like Cactuar, Eggm, and Scar for instance. ToS and choice others will be the final decision on who can enter which team.

On the Brawl team we are looking for the best of the best of what Brawl has to offer. The fans of the game that play it all the time, looking for new techniques, and attending tournaments placing high.

Each team will have 30 stocks each, to be evenly divided between the 10 people on each team.
Time limit will be off.
Random stages:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
The first match will take place on randomly chosen stage out of the 4 above. After that, the person switching in may choose any stage they would like (out of the random stages or counterpicks below), however if they do choose a stage, the player from the other team who stayed may change their character. The person switching in also has the option of choosing a random stage, in which the remaining player may not change their character.

Counterpick Stages:
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Castle Siege
  • Frigate Orpheon

RULES
  • Melee Rules:
    • Bring your own controllers. We might have a couple extra in case you forget yours, but it's highly recommended you bring your own.
    • All matches will be 4 stock matches, with a time limit set to 7 minutes.
    • All sets will be the best out of 3 matches, except for the finals which are best out of 5.
    • Counterpick rules:
      • First round: blind character pick, each player bans a stage if need be (which stick for the entire set), and a random stage (from neutral set) is chosen. No reset on random is allowed.
      • Following rounds: Looser chooses a stage, winner chooses character, looser chooses character.
      • Someone can not choose a stage they have already won on, and no stage can be played twice in a row.
    • Singles neutral stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Dreamland 64
      • Fountain of Dreams
      • Yoshi's Story
    • Singles counterpick stages:
      • Corneria
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Jungle Japes
      • Green Greens
      • Mute City
      • Brinstar
      • DK64
      • PokeFloats
    • Doubles neutral stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Dreamland 64
      • Yoshi's Story
    • Doubles counterpick stages:
      • DK64
      • Termina Bay
      • Corneria
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Jungle Japes
      • Green Greens
      • Brinstar
    • Items are off.
    • If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
    • Wobbling is not allowed and results in an immediate loss of that match.
    • You will be disqualified if you use any freezing glitches, such as the Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo's Soul Stunner.
    • Any non-first party controllers must be inspected by an official before use.
    • Performance altering controller modifications are not allowed.
    • Stalling a match is not allowed (such as wall-jumping under Battlefield), but recovery tactics such as Peach's Wall-Bombing, and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed.
    • GOTM's rule is in effect. Ice Climbers' wobbling is banned except for on Inui. lol.
  • Brawl Rules:
    • Only GameCube controllers will be allowed for the tournament. We do not want to waste time with syncing so many wireless controllers with so many systems present.
    • If you are bringing a system, for it to be eligible for the tournament, it must have all 35 characters, all stages unlokced, advanced options, random stage options.
    • If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You can not quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.
    • First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. Following this, each player/team is allowed to ban two counterpick stages for the rest of the set. A random stage will then be chosen for the battle. No resets are allowed.
    • Match two will first consist of the previous loser picking a stage, then the previous winner picking their character, and finally the previous loser picking their character.
    • If it goes to the third match, it will follow the same format as the second one.
    • Singles Neutral Stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Smashville
      • Lylat Cruise
      • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
    • Singles Counterpick Stages:
      • Castle Siege
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Pokemon Stadium 2
      • Delfino Plaza
      • Corneria
      • Green Greens
      • Brinstar
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Luigi's Mansion
      • Hanenbow
      • Pictochat
      • Battleship Halberd
      • Great Sea
      • Frigate Orpheon
    • Doubles Neutral Stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Smashville
      • Lylat Cruise
      • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
    • Doubles Counterpick Stages:
      • Castle Siege
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Pokemon Stadium 2
      • Delfino Plaza
      • Corneria
      • Green Hill Zone
      • Mario Circuit
      • Green Greens
      • Brinstar
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Luigi's Mansion
      • Hanenbow
      • Pictochat
      • Battleship Halberd
      • Great Sea
      • Frigate Orpheon
    • Items are off
    • Three stock matches, with a 7 minute time limit
    • No stage can be played twice in a row, and no player can counterpick with a stage they already won on.
    • GOTM's Rule Modified: Dedede chain grabbing is allowed, but greatly encouraged to be used as much as possible on Inui. lol.
    • Standing infinites of any kind are illegal. Wall chain grabs are allowed.
  • 64 Rules:
    • 5 Stocks
    • No Items
    • Advanced Slob Picks
    • Can't counterpick a stage you won on
    • Listen To Mother Rule (If Saffron City shows up on Random, if a player is playing Ness, they are allowed to instantly ban that stage for that match. Saffron can however be counterpicked on a Ness)
    • Legal Stages:
      • Hyrule
      • Dreamland
      • Kongo Jungle
      • Peach's Castle
      • Saffron City

64 SIDE TOURNAMENT
  • We will be holding a side 64 tournament on Saturday towards the end of Melee Doubles, and throughout registration for Melee Crews.
  • If less than 8 people are interested, the tournament will not be held.
  • There should be two 64 setups available.
  • Vex Kasrani will holding this. Please direct any 64 specific questions to him.

VENUE INFORMATION
  • Both Myers Hall and Van R are located very close to all the past SPOC tournaments, and CoT II. They are located a bit further away from Market street in a quieter area closer to the free parking. There are plenty of places to eat within 2 blocks of the venue including 7-11, Ross Commons, two pizza shops, and more.
More Information can be found here.

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES
(Also everyone who would most likely come anyway lol)
  • ChiboSempai
  • GOTM
  • Emblem Lord
  • Scar
  • Pakman
  • Eggm
  • Vex Kasrani
  • Talwind
  • MexiMadnez
  • Velocity
  • Mew2King
  • Xzax
  • Cactuar
  • Beat
  • RoyKid
  • ClassicYayo
  • NewFace
  • DGMavn
  • Rabbt
  • Atomsk
  • Ether
  • Ninja Edd
  • Inui
  • DMBrandon
  • Deff
  • Lite
  • Soulja
  • SmashBros.Guy
  • Sage
  • DJ Nintendo
  • Jman
  • Lol Master
  • Prog2112
  • Jollies
  • UltimoDragon
  • Supercakes
  • KillaOR
  • RPesh
  • Alukard
  • Keitaro
  • Lord Knight
  • Sensei
  • Vanz
  • Dot Eater
  • R3N0
  • Ussi
  • Kasumi
  • Warrior of Zorona
  • Shakugan
  • Toushi
  • TenNoTensai
  • JFox
  • Triad
  • Teh_Spammer
  • GenesisJLS
  • RyokoYaksa
  • Will Luong
  • Cheezit
  • Thiocyanide
  • Eazy
  • NovaLombardia
  • Sneak
  • MD/VA?
  • Pittsburgh???
  • Pimp Taxi?????

SETUPS
  • ChiboSempai x1
  • GOTM x1
  • Scar x3
  • Pakman x1
  • Eggm x2
  • Vex x1
  • Cless 1x (Game Setup)
  • UltimoDragon x1
  • NewFace 1x (Game Setup)
  • DGMavn 1x (Sunday Only)
  • GenesisJLS 1x (Sunday Only)
  • Sensei 1x
  • Shakugan 1x (Saturday Only)
  • Xzax 1x

ROUGH TIME SCHEDULE
  • Saturday
    • 10:00am - People arrive for friendlies
    • 11:00am - Melee Doubles signups
    • 11:30am - Melee Doubles
    • 1:30pm (approximately) - 64 Singles (Side tourney coinciding with Melee Doubles)
    • 2:30pm - Melee Crews signups
    • 2:45pm - Melee Crews
    • 6:00pm - Melee Singles signups
    • 6:30pm - Melee Singles
    • 11:30pm - Get the fudge out
  • Sunday
    • 9:30am - People arrive for friendlies
    • 10:30am - Brawl Doubles singups
    • 11:00am - Brawl Doubles
    • 2:00pm - Brawl Singles signups
    • 2:30pm - Brawl Singles
    • 7:30pm - Melee vs Brawl Brawl Crew Battle singup
    • 7:45pm - Melee vs Brawl Brawl Crew Battle
    • 9:00pm - Do whatever you want
    • 10:00pm - Get the fudge out

GETTING TO THE TOURNAMENT
Ever been to Smashpocalypse? Clash of the Titans is just blocks away! Our venue is within walkable distance from 30th street station which has transportation from all over Eastern Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and more.

Housing
Unfortunately attendees are not allowed to stay overnight at the venue, however there is a decent amount of housing options in the area. Bring sleeping bags for peoples places as they will probably just make you sleep on the floor :)

People offering housing:
  • ChiboSempai: A Lot (everyone sleeps on the floor though)
  • GOTM: Approximately 4 people

All is Brawl Link

Feel free to ask any questions

PAST RESULTS

PAST VIDEOS

TIA TOURNAMENT ARCHIVE LINKS

Eggm

Smash Hero
Singles before doubles is ********. And uh, I know where egg harbor township is, its not incredibly far, I might come.. if theres no other tournies this day, whats up with singles before doubles tho? cmon now.. lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ok i guess i wasnt thinking straight lol il switch it to doubles first
glad to hear you might come, i havnt heard of anything else that day, so I tried to plan it well in ahead. spread the word if you can
---
yea 100th post! too bad when i made a new account and my old one had like 170 posts...

pockyD

Smash Legend
Singles before doubles is ********. And uh, I know where egg harbor township is, its not incredibly far, I might come.. if theres no other tournies this day, whats up with singles before doubles tho? cmon now.. lol.
egg harbor lol

GOTM

Smash Champion
i can transport a few people that day if they can get to the absecon stop off new jersey transit atlantic city line.

otherwise, i dont think it would be too far to drive for some of you if your already in jersey. its pretty much near the shore

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this tourney. Depending on what my RU smashers wanna do, it could end up being 3 to 5 of us going or none at all. Depends.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Oh I just relized this conflicts with the philly monthlies, so..nvm.. also you should make it Sunday, then i can go to both. XD

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Oh I just relized this conflicts with the philly monthlies, so..nvm.. also you should make it Sunday, then i can go to both. XD
The Philly monthly is canceled for the 24th as there's no available dates we can do it. Me and Scar we're both going to run the Philly monthlies (I couldn't make the first one), but we found out that there was no dates we could do one in November. We were originally going to do the 24th as the topic title says, but we had forgotten until recently that Scars is going to be on vacation and not getting back until that afternoon. Without Scar we wouldn't be able to rent out that venue because hes the only main smasher from Penn that they would rent it to. So, since it was pretty much canceled, I decided to run this tournament sort of in place of the Philly monthly for November, since it's still in that same area of Eastern PA, NJ, and maybe parts of NY and DE.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok I updated the first post with information regarding how many setups we have for the tournament so far. My goal is 8 full setups, though if we are able to get even more, that would be awesome.

We're up to: 5 TVs (probably 6, just gotta make sure Mexi can bring his)
7 systems (probably 8, same deal as above)
and between 3 and 6 copies of smash (i know the store has atleast 1, but they may have as many as 4. i just contacted them to find out how many and I'm awaiting their response.)

For anyone coming, are you able to bring any TVs, systems, or games?

GOTM

Smash Champion
they said they were lcd hdtv's i believe, but they said they were made for gaming so they didn't have much lag if any at all, but i don't know if i wanna believe that

AlexanderTriad

Smash Ace
they said they were lcd hdtv's i believe, but they said they were made for gaming so they didn't have much lag if any at all, but i don't know if i wanna believe that
It is true that newer LCDs have that component and it does make the lag seemingly non-existent. I have used them before, but again, we will have to see if these truly are.

-AxlT

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea he said that they were brand new LCD HDTVs, and when I specifically asked him about lag, he said they have no lag. Just incase though, we will have some SDTVs as backup.

Also, we got a new confirmed attendee. I don't know his smashboards name, but his name is Kile Johnson. He said he played Triad before and got wrecked lol, so perhaps a rematch will be cool.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
maybe we made this thread too far in advance, lol
better early than late
atleast now people can mark their calendars, and we wont have to worry about schedule conflicts with other smash tournaments. and afterall, we're starting to get a nice list of attendees, though I would to get A LOT more lol

Scar

#HarveyDent
so i dont forget later scar, add supposedly to your grammar corner lol

-Chibo
No, because no one else says that. It is a person-specific mistake, like me trying to tell every Samus player NOT to get d-aired 9 times in a row.

I will tell you, though.

Supposedly vs Supposively
Supposedly: Marks the beginning of a supposition; making a statement while simultaneously admitting uncertainty.
Supposedly, Samus is a good character, but in my experience she is way overrated / horrible.

Supposively: A corruption of the English word "supposedly," presumably spawned due to learning the word from hearing it used in conversation, a byproduct of living far too long without reading any 10+ year old material.
Supposively you have to receive a graved invitation to attend the ball.

GOTM

Smash Champion
LMFAO..

wow...scar is owning everything today, but when he owned the other kid it was better

although this is hilarious

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
No, because no one else says that. It is a person-specific mistake, like me trying to tell every Samus player NOT to get d-aired 9 times in a row.

I will tell you, though.

Supposedly vs Supposively
Supposedly: Marks the beginning of a supposition; making a statement while simultaneously admitting uncertainty.
Supposedly, Samus is a good character, but in my experience she is way overrated / horrible.

Supposively: A corruption of the English word "supposedly," presumably spawned due to learning the word from hearing it used in conversation, a byproduct of living far too long without reading any 10+ year old material.
Supposively you have to receive a graved invitation to attend the ball.
your grammar skills are far beyond amazing

Top Bottom