• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHPOCALYPSE:: SPOC IX in February? Link to SPOC VIII results in OP

Scar

#HarveyDent
WELCOME TO SMASHPOCALYPSE.

Why is Smashpocalypse worth your time?
-Our venue has comfortably fit over 70 people and is very conveniently located near 30th Street station, a hub for all trains and Els in the Philadelphia area.
-We charge NO VENUE FEE, so the pot at Smashpocalypse is ridiculously large. This allows us more leniency with our payouts, and singles players who place 5th or better have always received cash.
-We always have at least 12 setups, so there are always friendly TVs available.
-Our TVs have absolutely no lag.
i'm going to this JUST for the Wawa 3 blocks down
-Wawa is a completely valid reason to attend an SPOC.
-Smashpocalypse is Philadelphia's only regular Melee tournament.
-Various other PS2 Fighters are generally played semi-competitively as a sometimes needed break from Melee.
-SPOC is a cool abbreviation.
-Smashpocalypse has a reputation for being very well-run and a great experience.

General Information
Houston Hall
[SIZE=-2] 3417 Spruce Street
[/SIZE]Philadelphia, PA 19104

CONFIRM SETUPS!

I ENCOURAGE YOU TO BRING SETUPS! I still need as many TVs as I can get my hands on, as many cubes/wiis and as much Smash as you guys can bring.

Results
SMASHPOCALYPSE VIII - 10/17
Results Thread

SMASHPOCALYPSE VII
- 4/18
Results
AiB Page

SMASHPOCALYPSE VI
- 12/13
Results
AiB Page

SMASHPOCALYPSE V
- 3/22
Results
AiB Page

SMASHPOCALYPSE IV
- 2/09
Results
AiB Page

SMASHPOCALYPSE III
- 1/12
Results
Videos
AiB Page

SMASHPOCALYPSE II - 12/08
Results
AiB Page

SMASHPOCALYPSE - 10/13
Results
AiB Page

Transportation
The venue will be a 10 minute walk from 30th Street Station. Check that website if you think you are near any Septa, NJ Transit, or Amtrak rail line. Any of those trains will take you to this tournament.

**Events and Fees
Registration from 10:00-11:50am
Doubles: $20 per team, Double-Elimination bracket seeded by location, beginning at 1:00.
Singles: $10 per person, Double-Elimination bracket seeded by pools
Crews: $10 per crew, Double-Elimination bracket or Round Robin
Side tournaments are to be run by the players.

I want doubles to start at 12:00 NOON, call me if you're going to be a bit late, I will sign you up. YOU MUST PAY FOR YOUR ENTRANCE UPON ARRIVAL, EVEN IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND BY THE TIME YOU GET HERE. I'll warn you before I sign you up, but if you sign up and don't pay, I will not let you enter any other events.

Schedule for SPOC VI

12:00 - Teams
3:00 - Singles Pools
5:30 - Singles 32-Man Bracket
9:00 - Crews

SPOC STAGE SELECT RULES

Legal Stage List
:
Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64

Banned Stage List
:
Every other stage in Super Smash Brothers: Melee

• Round 1
-Players strike stages in an alternating fashion, starting with the person with the most port priority. Both players strike a total of 3 stages in this order; the one remaining is selected for Round 1.

• Round 2
-The winner of the previous match bans one of the seven stages from selection.
-The loser of the previous match selects one of the remaining 6 stages for Round 2.

• Round 3 (if necessary)
-The winner of the previous match bans one of the seven stages from selection.
-The loser of the previous match selects one of the remaining 5 stages for Round 3 (one ban + Dave's Stupid Rule stage).

Note:
For sets determined by a Best of 5, Dave's Stupid Rule will apply only for those matches that were won on a stage PICKED by the winner. Winning a match on Round 1 or on an opponent's counterpick does not make that stage banned from your selection. Therefore there are a minimum of 4 stages that a player can select at any point.

I believe that this ruleset gears results of sets more closely towards player skill and farther from character selection and character/stage combinations, takes importance away from a previous significant random factor, and ultimately provides less of an advantage for losing.

Again, if both players in any given set decide to use normal stage select rules, old SPOC stage rules will be in effect.

₪ Previous SPOC Stage Strike Rule

• For each set, ONE stage ban is allowed.
  • If a player chooses to ban a neutral stage, the banned stage will not be played if it is selected on random, nor can it be counterpicked.
  • If a player chooses to ban a NON-NEUTRAL STAGE, he can also strike a neutral stage from the initial random stage select. The stage that was striked CAN be counterpicked by the opponent.
₪ Dave's Stupid Rule Modified - A player cannot counter pick a stage on which they have already won a match in a set. In best of 5 sets, this rule is not always enforced, since counterpick stages are gay and we encourage our players to stick to neutrals.
Wobbling is banned.

Boring Rules

₪ BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS
₪ All events will be double elimination
₪ Four (4) stock
₪ Seven (7) minute time limit
₪ Players and teams are seeded by skill with as much crew separation as possible. Usually we seed singles by pools and eliminate down to a 64-man bracket (which is usually no one).
₪ Singles seedings will be determined by pools - each player will be assigned to a pool, and each pool will play a best-of-3 set with 4 stock matches, round-robin style. Players will continue to play each other until each player has played a set with all of the other players in the pool. Standard counter pick stage rules apply for pools, and all character selections are double blind pick (if requested) for the 1st match.
₪ In a set, character selection for the first round will be blind pick (if requested) - both players must whisper their character choices for that match to an official, and then immediately select those characters afterwards. The stage select for the first match will be chosen by random select or may be agreed upon by the players. Random select will be used if there is any disagreement on stage selection. After the first match, the losing player from the previous match must announce their choice for the next level or elect to have the next level selected at random. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. After the stage and characters have been set, the players play their second match.
₪ Each round is best of three (3) matches; Finals are best of five (5) matches
₪ In the event of a tie at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins the match. In case both players have the same amount of stock, the player with the lowest percentage wins the match. If both players have the same percentages, the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one (1), and start a bonus match on the same stage. If the bonus match goes to the end of the time limit- despite whatever the amount of stocks are left - then both players/teams will be disqualified from the tournament.
₪ Items will be turned OFF.
₪ In the event of an equipment malfunction, the match will be restart from the last known position or from any point in the match that is agreed upon by the players.
₪ Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
₪ Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor and can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.
₪ Nintendo Standard controllers only (any type of programmable controller must be inspected by a store official/TSA member). Likewise, controller modifications are banned. If you are caught using a modded controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.
₪ BRING WAVEBIRDS AT YOUR OWN RISK. It will be your responsibility to find others with Wavebirds and sort out the frequency issues. If you bring a wavebird it is highly suggested to bring a normal Gamecube controller in case your Wavebird malfunctions.
₪ Random Stages for Singles: Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, and Yoshi's Story.
₪ Counter pick Stages for Singles: Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Brinstar, Mute City, Pokefloats, and DK64.
₪ Random Stages for Doubles: Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, and Yoshi's Story.
₪ Counter pick Stages for Doubles: Termina Bay, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Brinstar, and DK64.
₪ For Doubles, Team attack is ON and life stealing is allowed.
₪ The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late – Warning
4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late – Loss of set
When leaving the venue, please let me know and if there is a way to contact you. If you do not give me any notice, and your match is being called, the Mages DQ Rule will come into effect.

Contact Information
You can contact me immediately with any concern by any of the following methods:
Phone, at 215-771-0626
AIM, at BScar87, or
E-Mail, at bobbyscar@comcast.net.

Setups
TVs:
Scarmada (5x)
Eggm (?)
ChiboSempai (?)
Cubes:
Scar (2x)

Smash:
Scar (2x)

Recording/Commentary:

Cheezit

Smash Ace
First Post and i will most likely be coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit. Btw im pretty sure i have never been in the heart of philly. Is it scary cause i have heard rumors.....

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'll, go and bring cheezit if hes not pimping, and then try and bring corey to team with me too. :)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Ah, it'd be awesome if the pittsburg guys (pocky/swift/wesley) could come to the next one, I'll make sure to hit that one up. :)

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I would love to see Pittsburgh, that's why I want to turn it into a monthly. We need more things in PA.

edit: Lol @ Wesley's brilliance and our time-traveling Arizonian.

Renth

Smash Hero
Sorry Scar i'll try to get there another time i don't think i'll be able to make this one.

Scar

#HarveyDent
IDK actually. Chibo this is getting way too much support to ignore. Pittsburgh might come, most of NJ seems willing. It should happen.

If we can get the gameroom that would be amazing, I'd be happy to pay a ******** venue fee if necessary. Otherwise I will go through Penn and find somewhere, the only real problem would be TVs.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
IDK actually. Chibo this is getting way too much support to ignore. Pittsburgh might come, most of NJ seems willing. It should happen.

If we can get the gameroom that would be amazing, I'd be happy to pay a ******** venue fee if necessary. Otherwise I will go through Penn and find somewhere, the only real problem would be TVs.
1. do you realize it will be near impossible to get the game room this close to it? and you do realize the venue fee would be about $240 right?
2. why didnt you find a venue b4 announcing monthlies?

Scar

#HarveyDent
1. Yes.
2. I go to Penn? Oh wait, no,

Hey everyone. This tourney is NOT a definite. I am currently looking for who would come.
But if you help me maybe we can cut a deal with the guys @ the gameroom? It's a great idea, we shouldn't let something as small as... no venue get in the way. ...?

GOTM

Smash Champion
yea going here i know that its tough to get something like this to happen, especially when the gameroom is only open til when it should be during regular staff days half the time anyway. good luck though. i'd def. come to somethin like this.

AXE 09

Smash Master
wow, have i been saying september this whole time??? omg lol. wow i mean NOVEMBER! gosh. now i gotta go back and edit all my posts hahaha

AXE 09

Smash Master
oh sorry. lol no, i'm not visiting until next month. haha sorry about the confusion. i guess i thought this year was running all the months backwards? lol but yeah, the 17th of November is a Saturday, so i thought that'd be the best date to do everything. of course, i'm free that friday too. i'm not sure about that thrusday and sunday though (that's the 15th and 18th) but definately the 16th and 17th

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I can bring a setup and a couple local jerks. Also I will be available for any kind of venue help.
Also, Scar, post your number so people can call you if they are not sure the tournament is happening.

I also suggest that if we get gameroom approval, since it costs 20$ an hour, we will not wait for people and start on time and probably have a pretty strict elimination rule.

AlexanderTriad

Smash Ace
Let's keep this going. We got enough people around Philly to get good tournies. I'm tired of having to goto north Jersey. I still goto VA because I like that area a lot. So yeah I see I'm already down for attending, lol. I will be there.

-AxlT

GOTM

Smash Champion
im lookin forward to playin this arizona dude. if the main day hes playin is that saturday, he wont be able to go to the gameroom though, its closed, he'll have to find some other place to play. my place is always open for smash...

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I'm looking forward to meeting him as well. I'm leaving for Paris that Friday too, maybe he can be my airport buddy.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im lookin forward to playin this arizona dude. if the main day hes playin is that saturday, he wont be able to go to the gameroom though, its closed, he'll have to find some other place to play. my place is always open for smash...
lol gotm i already invited him over our dorm in another thread. but since its the 17th, we should be having another tourny that day, or like the 2nd of these monthlies.

Scar

#HarveyDent
This is in the drexel game room right?
Not anymore, if it happens (75% yes at the moment) it will be in
Irvine Auditorium
3401 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

EVERYONE help out with setups if you can, let me know what you can bring so I know. I have 3 TVs, Pakman is bringing one, Eggm I hope will take one, and WE NEED SETUPS! I only have 3 total, so if you guys want a smoothly run tourney we'll need at least 6 more!

Velocity, I'm excited.

Top Bottom