• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROCK SMASH (AID)!!! SRU, PA Tourney, Nov. 3rd

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
ROCK SMASH (aid)! November 3rd in the SRU union building.

Please, tell every smasher on earth that you know about this event.

Attendence list:
-9Volt+
Switchblades
Dac?
Garett
Keer
Renth
PockyD
Swiftbass
D20?
Mow
Royboy +4-7
Impp
El Komo

All skill levels, anyone is welcome.

Slippery Rock University
1 Morrow Way
Slippery Rock, PA,16057

Once you enter the union building, go downstairs and into the rec room (pool tables, couches) In the rec room, you will see a DDR machine. Walk up to it and turn right. U You will see us.

Registration and friendlies start at 12.
Teams start at 2.
Pools for singles start after teams are over.
Crew battles may take place after, but I dunno. I ask that you save money matches for this time too, but that's entirely up to you.

Singles: $10 + $5 donation to the Red Cross
Per Team: $20 + $10 donation to the Red Cross

Prizes are a % of the pot do be decided.
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

If enough people show up, pools may be used to determine seeding, or we will use random seeding

Each game is 2/3, finals are 3/5. Double Elimination.

Standard MLG rules

4 Stocks, 8 min time limit. No items. Team dammage is on.

Character selection is double blind.

Each player may ban 1 stage. Stage ban must take place before the first game begins. If a banned stage shows up on random, reset. (L+R+Start before the stage loads.) Besides the reset for a banned stage, each player may reset 1 time for the first game of the match.

Stages which will be used:

The upper half is for singles, while the lower half is for teams.
Red means banned
Yellow means able to be counter-picked
Green means neutral (on random), and can be counter-picked.

First game is random, unless the players agree on a neutral stage.

The loser of the game will pick the stage for the next game. Afterwards, the winner picks character, then the loser picks character. This is how EVERY match will be run. No exceptions.

Daves stupid rule: No stage can be played more than once per match. This includes random.

If X happens, and the game must be restarted because of it, the match will be restarted from the game in which X took place. Example: In game 3, the GCN freezes. Game 3 will be restarted, not the whole match, with the same characters and stage.

All freeze glitches, are banned. The first time you perform one of these, you forfeit the game. Second time, you forfeit the match.

HOUSING:

My friend, Dac, has an appartment off campus. He wanted me to advertise that he has 42" LCD with no game lag to play smash on. He can house like...a lot. Whoever can sleep on the floor/couch I guess.

HARDWARE:

BYOC!

SRU will be providing 4 TVs.
I will have my laptop with Tio running. Tio will provide all registration and brackets. I would like to have a projector hooked up, so I can have the bracket on the wall. This way, everyone knows who is playing who, and who beat who, who lost to who, etc. without asking to see the bracket.

I won't complain if you want to bring in a TV as well.

WE NEED SETUPS! (setup=GCN+Game+fully unlocked memory card)
I have one setup that I will bring up with me.

People bringing setups: Put your name on your ****.
1. PockyD
2. Switchblades
3. Impp

WE NEED RF SWITCHES (kinda...)
On friday, i looked at the TVs we'll be using, and some may need an RF switch. I just talked to Royboy on the phone, he said he may be able to bring some from Gamestop, but if you have some, can you please bring em? Better that we have too many than too little.

If anyone wants to bring recording equipment, be my guest. I have none, and being able to tape matches would be great. I can throw em on youtube of you don't want to.

Parking: Heres a campus map for where guests can park, and where the union is:

BE CAREFUL! When you are driving around campus, even though it's a saturday and no one will be around, pedestrians have the right of way. So pay attention.

FOOD!
For eats, downstairs from where we will be playing, theres a pizza place, a grill, and a wrap shop, as well as other things. Like a very mini food court. Also, down the road, is a caffeteria, but u dont want to go there. There is a sheetz and mc donalds, like a 2 minute drive from the union. Also, there is a coffee/fruit smoothie stand in the place that we will be playing. Feel free to bring snacks, if you want.

WHAT I ASK OF YOU!
I am so greatful that you will be attending, but I must ask certain things of you.

1. Be respectful. Keep the bad language to a minimum. This is a charity event after all.
2. Be polite. We are guests here after all.
3. Clean up after yourself. The janitorial staff loves us, let's please keep it that way.

It's not that I don't think that you guys will do these. Hell, smashers are the nicest people I know. I just want you guys to understand that we are guests, and they don't HAVE to let us play here. Also, us doing this increases our chance of getting the event here again.

If you get lost, have questions, or your feelin lonely ;) my cell # is 724-317-6732
Keep checking here, I will be editing this post a lot, im sure.

We'll see how the first one goes, but I would like to make this a monthly thing.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i can bring 1 wii+game+card

i can also bring a cube but i only have one smash copy so take what you will out of that

i may or may not be able to bring a TV if needed; depends on space and all that

banning wobbling is lame (it doesn't affect the way i play, but i'm pro-wobbling on principle)

you need an explicit stage list

other than that, good ****

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Wow way to man up and put together a tourney Na!l (you always be Na!l to me). You should advertise this to the Philla and Ohio guys to see if we can a real turnout at a Pittsburgh tourney for once.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the suggestions, ill edit that stuff in. Also, do I have the reset rule correct?

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't see why you should get a reset if you can just ban a neutral

just my opinion though; if you want a reset, then yes it's correct (except

edit (except nothing) i dunno what happened there

Scar

#HarveyDent
How much space do you have? Can this be a replacement Mowfest? If so I want all of PA going so let me know how much space is available.

Important PA smashers ~ 40 people.

Edit:: Unless it's more than 3 hours away from most people. *sigh*

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I just kinda like the idea of a reset. I posted in the Ohio thread, and the PA player finder. Anywhere else I should post this?

40 People is a lot. I'd have to start earlier, maybe, but I should be ok. No housing on campus tho. I can house one person in my dorm...thats it. theres a hotel in Grove City like...15 mins away from SRU.

As far as room, theres enough. I can only reserve 3 TVs, and im bringing my own down there. If no one else takes any TVs, I can get 2 more from SRU.

Impp

Smash Ace
There's a tournament in Columbus this same day... I'll probably come here, though.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Wow, good ****. But i COULD change the date. It's not too late.

****, might have to tac on a $1 event fee.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah no I thought this might be in like Central PA, but it's farther from Philly than Pittsburgh is. If Philly doesn't go, then a lot of PA's top players won't show.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, its not Central PA. Sorry. If the turnout is like...30+ though, should I do pools?

pockyD

Smash Legend
columbus is further from cleveland than this is, by a significant margin too, iirc

and this is most certainly west PA

if philly need housing i have some space, and i'm sure some more pghers do too; it's just under an hour away

pools are a grand idea, even if it's just for seeding

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Mow, does that mean ur coming? I didnt know who Anne Hathaway was until today, and im glad that this tourney is, in temperature, comparable to her.

EDIT: Super w00t at switch

Renth

Smash Hero
Making plans, i should be there.

it's about an hour and a half from my place so it's not bad, anyone want MMs at this thang?

Edit: I can bring a cube/smash/card.

Scar

#HarveyDent
This looks hot, like Anne Hathaway... and amazing, like Cactuar.
This doesn't work though, because Anne Hathaway is not as hot as Cactuar is amazing.

She's just plain old not as hot as him either.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Making plans, i should be there, someone awesomely super should team with me.

Pocky? Swift? Mow? ;)

it's about an hour and a half from my place so it's not bad, anyone want MMs at this thang?

Edit: I can bring a cube/smash/card.
I'll MM you Renth. Ganon?

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Ohohohokey. Tiny snag, and I need everyones input. I talked to my advisor, and this needs to become a smash aid. IE, if all of the money goes in someones pocket, NG, game over, etc. So, should like...50% of the money go to charity, or should I add in a $5 fee from everyone, and have that go to charity? Also, cash prizes are NG. I am going to ask if I can do those Visa gift cards. Good idea?

Impp

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm definitely coming.... I just want to see my name on the list of attendees. Oh, and I'm accepting MM's.

I didn't notice there was no cash prizes, so then yeah, I agree with Pocky D that charity comes out of the pot.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think that, especially if you already aren't giving cash prizes, the "charity cut" should definitely be out of the pot, not as a venue fee

hopefully not 50% though; that's a bit much

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I edited in a few things, like the prizes, and that is how I would like to do donations. Also, I added Impp to the people coming. Also, Mow, I talked to Garett (Sage) and he told me to ask you if you can get The Cape to come. Also, everyone, tell every smasher on earth that you know about this event.

EDIT: @Impp, I just noticed you live in Cleveland, any chance you can get Vidjo to come?

D

Deleted member

I'll ask zach about it soon.

lol pockyD you went 3 hours for a $1 tournament :p

Don't be so picky, PA doesn't get enough tournaments to begin with.

Since it's going to the Red Cross, I don't particularly mind if there's any prizes.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
I planned for there to be prizes to begin with, I just didnt post it. And thanks Mow.

D

Deleted member

there are plenty of people who don't just play "for the love of the game" :(
and those are the people that ruin it for everyone else. All those IC wobblers, falco laser spammers, the hardcore campers, and the greedy people take away from the game. Every time I hear someone say "It's not banned here" or "it's a legitimate tactic" it means they're trying to ruin the game for other people. Keep that in mind.

Royboy78

Smash Rookie
I know ppl who work at gamestop and brawl is going to be huge so maybe more toney when it comes out

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Dont worry, there will be a Pre-Brawl tourney, and a Brawl tourney as well.

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
and those are the people that ruin it for everyone else. All those IC wobblers, falco laser spammers, the hardcore campers, and the greedy people take away from the game. Every time I hear someone say "It's not banned here" or "it's a legitimate tactic" it means they're trying to ruin the game for other people. Keep that in mind.
Also gotta remember the people that complain about the game and ruin the experience for the person either playing against or around said player.

Top Bottom