• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

W&M smash players thread

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Current rough idea of who i know and rankings here.

Me (mains fox, marth, sheik) low tier (pika, ness, bowser)
Kyle (mains falco, doc) (dk)
Samrin (sheik, falco, marth)
alex (fox)
david (sheik)
alex (m2)

anyways, there has to be more players on campus..so leave a msg if you're at W&M or if you just want to play some of us sometime

SlayerofValhala

Smash Rookie
Hey um...new freshman here and yeah im quite fan and yeah have a good handful of others who are at least pretty good and im sure we can all get alot better, but yeah had no idea there was a team if you will over here at the ol W&m. I just happened to talk to my friend at cnu who said apparently a crew was coming from W&M for thier tournamnt. Um, so yeah if you guys have like smash gatherings, or mini tounament sorplay just for fun do tell.

Oh and I'm a Marth guy working on a good Falcon

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
besides the pm another thing is that we tend to just gather and play..sometime we should do sets though...personally i just trust people to record honest counts of their serious sets vs people..though serious is kinda a questionable word..as i generally will only counterpick characters when i have lost..while normally in a tourney if i felt a stage was bad for a char i would switch

umm, i hope your friends are good but honestly it's more important that they can learn well and take advice...oh and no m2 mains

we already have one..i recommend maining someone in the top 10 characters at least..but whatever...in general it's fun to have at least one relatively high tier and a low tier main

SlayerofValhala

Smash Rookie
Hey so how did you guys do at tournament. Oh and someone played doubles with my friend Kevin just fyi.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
kyle got 2nd in doubles too..ya and i am just n00b..i got fair baited/cc whored like a scrub vs schoolie's jiggs..but it was a lot of fun..next time i think i'll go all fox

ether teach me how to do the marth vs jiggs matchup sometime...

and i'll read up on it sometime after my exam this week too..

it's just i played schoolie with both fox and sheik afterwards and it was a hell of a lot easier than with marth...(won with fox and lost with sheik)..but he like ***** my marth...and marth is my main main;0

plus marth is supposed to **** that matchup!

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
The scene is much better now. Or rather, those people aren't running tournaments. We'll put together a tournament/fest in November or something and you can see for yourself.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Lets alternate weekends.

CNU and W&M should both throw bi-weeklies, w&m could alternate our weekend dates. OR if other people want in, we could have ODU host one weekend etc. I think it'd be *****in, but then again, I'm the guy that suggested the idea of random doubles to the CNU tourney staff :p

jake333

Smash Rookie
Sup guys I've been looking for some competitive smash players at WM. I wasn't even aware we had a crew. If you all wanna exchange some contact info I'd be more than willing to play with you guys some time this week before fall break. Oh and I live in Dinwiddie, Botetourt complex if any of you are near there.

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
Time for an Update:

Josh (knightpraetor) : Marth, Fox, Sheik
Alex (ajphctp46 / me): Marth, Fox, Sheik (yeah, we're boring)
Samrin (opiumfish13): Sheik, Marth, Peach
David: Sheik
Alex: Mewtwo
Mark (flyd): Sheik
Jake (jake333) : Falco, Peach, Fox

The above went to the crew battle with ODU/CNU. Other players on campus:

Kyle: Falco, Marth, DK
Thomas: Link
Mike (Wovenhand): Fox
Kem (Mek): Roy/Marth
Trey (BoneMachine): Samus
Shane (SlayerOfValhalla) : Marth

If you're at WM, and love smash, even if you're not great but want to get better, then post here with name and characters and come to a smash night (details to follow, we're still setting it up). I'll try and update this periodically or get Josh to do it on the first page.

flyd

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. This is Mark. Just lettin ya know i'm on the boards. The name is pronounced "Fly D" by the way not "floyd". Its short for flying dutchman. Anyway just to update, the smash night currently is being held by me and jake on mondays at 7:00. We live in Dinwiddie second. It's in Botetourt.

Also if any of you guys just wanna get together and play some doubles or something, me and jake play all the time so just let us know.

flyd

Smash Rookie
It's a pretty small dorm, but we play in jake's room. I think its 203. It's right at the fork in the hallway on the left. The doors usually open.

SlayerofValhala

Smash Rookie
Fine perhaps i will

Oh and cool I'll probably stop by next week or some time soon

Always looking to better

Kevin's fat

BoneMachine

Smash Rookie
Time for an Update:

Josh (knightpraetor) : Marth, Fox, Sheik
Alex (ajphctp46 / me): Marth, Fox, Sheik (yeah, we're boring)
Samrin (opiumfish13): Sheik, Marth, Peach
David: Sheik
Alex: Mewtwo
Mark (flyd): Sheik
Jake (jake333) : Falco, Peach, Fox

The above went to the crew battle with ODU/CNU. Other players on campus:

Kyle: Falco, Marth, DK
Thomas: Link
Mike (Wovenhand): Fox
Kem (Mek): Roy/Marth
Trey: Samus
Shane: Marth

If you're at WM, and love smash, even if you're not great but want to get better, then post here with name and characters and come to a smash night (details to follow, we're still setting it up). I'll try and update this periodically or get Josh to do it on the first page.
Haha, I'm Trey. Didn't know I was already famous on here, hahaha.

flyd

Smash Rookie
In case word hasn't gotten around yet, me and Jake are bogged down with exams and papers this week so we can't hold the smash night on monday. Hopefully this won't happen too often, sorry. Feel free to smash without us though.

Sorry again guys,

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Hey, Im not at W&M, but Im in Williamsburg; Im a Junior at Jamestown HS (duznt matter if im young, i got myndgaymz), and Ive gone to a few of the CNU biweeklies. Hoping u all are haveing events *outside* of the dorms. If so, TELL MEH! I want in! (CNU is so far away, when W&M is 10 minutes away). And if there are no events currently scheduled, then we should make something happen. Ive hosted one tourney before, and it went pretty well.

Please and Thank you.

flyd

Smash Rookie
Hey Jake, already left for thanksgiving break so...having the smashnight here probably wouldn't work out that well. We should do something...but not at Dinwiddie.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so time for a post:

first off on the agenda, rankings: how do we plan to do WM rankings..my vote is to have cumulative points system; mainly because i plan to place myself at the top to begin with:) but regardless it would also be more accurate, and force people not to call real sets against people as much, thereby allowing me to practice

anyways, here is how it's going to work.. all sets from this point onwards if real sets will have their wins/losses recorded on this thread..else they will not count...in order to call a set it must be called by the phrase "tournament set", not "friendly set"..that way you can still have friendly sets if you wish and hopefully no conflicts will arise. That said, i officially refuse to have further friendly sets against WM players..friendly matches are fine..but why should i go through all that pressure if it doesn't count for anything;p

Tournament sets at WM are best of 7!!! i hate best of 3s, and even 5 isn't extremely accurate;p standard rules apply.

Anyways, each win will be tallied up, Alex and I will order people according to skill based on both these points, tournament records, and recent increases in skill as best we can judge, with kyle being the breaking vote if we can't agree.

Also, starting points..I want some starting points..i also feel that people who won sets before should get some say..therefore, first off, Alex, please add a list of who beat who in sets during that tournament. I am thinking i will give myself 2 wins against everyone in sets...because honestly..i've won at least that many recently..and i haven't lost any sets in which i counterpicked characters in over a month and a half. Besides, even if i lost some sets with non mains and added those, adding in all the actual wins i've had in sets would skew the data even more..so i think it's fair..meh

Everyone else i guess will just start with their tournament wins if they played in singles at the last tourney. Technically samrin has beaten alex in quite a few sets here and there i think..but those were older so i'm just going to start alex out at that one point advantage against samrin

anyways, i'm starting a spreadsheet with this data. oh i am not giving myself a win against crystalnite in the sets in which i won with sheik peach and fox, or the sets that i lost with marth since none of that was legit counterpicking of course. (Just in case you were worried

i've decided not to give anyone any wins or losses against jake or mark..they haven't really had many legit matches against people...and those that they did have were like their first ever.

so basically i'm giving myself a 2 set lead on the people that I consider the oldies, and then adding in wins from the tourney at WM earlier.

So basically kyle beat alex p, alex m2, samrin, and David? did he win 2 sets against anyone? cause i know that tourney was double elim.

Who did each of the others win against

exception: i might play friendly sets with some off characters..i just don't like going through stress for nothing

oh btw...total set win is obviously not how alex and i will determine rankings for the most part..if you've won the majority of the sets in the last month then we would probably move you up a rank..depending..also you may be able to beat someone else but still not be as high skill wise due to being weak to certain matchups and unable to beat most players because of it (aka all you single mainers that have troublesome matchups)

oh ps we will probably include cnu singles tourneys if they have them..and if you want i guess you can call sets against people anywhere and i'll add them to my spreadsheet to help in determining rankings..just remember that you have to call it so that your opponent knows it's serious..that you plan to record it as a win for WM's records and is intended to be accurate...

ie no more players going to schoolie and getting him to sandbag a set..freaking hell.i really need to get him to train me in the ways of the sandbag...and all of his super special techniques..like sandbag freeze, sandbag Suicide, sandbag fsmash spam, etc..or in jiggs case..sandbag roll out spam and sandbag run in cirlces woping the air until the opponent feels like hitting me

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
I like it josh, hopefully the smash night comes together and we can add more results.
So at the moment as I see it we have you (josh) 2 wins vs everyone. Then from the Habitat for Humanity tournament, I know I beat David, Samrin, and Alex in one set each, and lost two sets to Kyle. Kyle I think also beat David and Samrin, I dunno about Alex. Jake and Mark missed singles. We'll have to ask Alex/David/Samrin about their other sets.

Out of curiousity, when you say no counter picking, do you mean stages or characters? I think you mean characters, but I'm just wondering, since if you did counter characters, I don't think you'll lose a set.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
not sure what you're asking.

i meant that i hadn't lost in sets where i counterpicked char..that said i have trouble with sheik vs kyle's falco, marth vs sheiks, and my sheik vs your fox...anyways, i can't wait to video record some of my matches so i can start figuring out what i do wrong

flyd

Smash Rookie
this sounds good guys, hopefully me and jake will be around more. smashnight is on as of now at Dinwiddie, monday @ 7. anyway yeah, can't wait to move up the rankings :).

Top Bottom