• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Paint! :D

Hong

The Strongest
One of the most memorable parts of Mario Paint for SNES is the title screen. As Mario ran around, with the SNES mouse you could mess with the title screen in many ways! I used this as a stage idea. Since a Mario Paint character appeared on the polls, we can only hope Mr. Sakurai will look at the game. Since the character in mind isn't very capable, perhaps he'll show tribute to the game in another form, like a stage.

Mario Paint

That white rectangle in the center is a simple solid platform, which is roughly 0.75 length in scale of Final Destination. Every 25 seconds, the cursor moves around in the background and clicks different letters at random which will have an effect on the stage. Mario runs around in the background just to stay true to the original. Neither Mario or the Cursor can be attacked.

Seems simple now, no?

But when the cursor hits the 'M'...

Everyone shrinks! This effect last for 10 seconds until the cursor hits it again to cancel it.

If the cursor hits 'A'...

Watch out below! I don't know what to do with this. Moderate damage perhaps?

The 'R' also stays true to the original game.

It makes a childish noise, falls down and wanders around! It'd actually just be a solid mass. It pushes players around, so be careful not to be pushed off the ledge! It could also be stood upon as a small limited platform. After it goes around the stage once, it climbs back up to its original spot.

On to the 'I'.

Once again, as in the original game it simply inverts colour. This also gives everyone the cloaking effect (as seen in Melee) for 10 seconds.

'O' Rly?

Someone set us up the bomb! It has a 4 second fuse.

Oh no! The stage is gone! Another copy of the platform rises immediately to replace it but you'll die unless you jump. The letter rematerialize in place while the stage rises. After this, the Totaka Song plays until the next letter is chosen, as it does in the original game. I'd like to mention this is also the first time North American gamers heard the infamous Totaka Song, second only to the Japanese title "X".

'P'retty.

Sorry. I couldn't be bothered taking out that copyright bit. This scenery spreads from the center of the stage, making it into a "walk off" stage while cheerful music plays. Be careful though! After 20 seconds, this starts to collapse from the sides so you can fall into nothingness in the process! Just make sure to get back to center.

'A' isn't so spectacular.

In the original, it'd cause a Yoshi to run across the screen. Should this be changed? It could act like the other A and just fall down.

This one isn't exactly easy on the 'I's.

While the screenshot doesn't show it, this causes all of the letters to shake around. Since this is Smash Brothers, it could also affect the stock tickets and/or time. It could make evading attacks difficult. It last for 20 seconds since staring at it too long is hard on the eyes, at least for me. :p

'N'other great idea! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Basically, the credits begin to appear in center for one minute. The credits act as a breakable platform.
Though I believe having the Super Smash Brothers Brawl credits would be more sensible. :p

The 'T' is easily my favourite.
The cursor becomes a rainbow brush! It could draw a variety of platform setups.

Each platform lay out last for a minute since they're quite welcome. This is also the most likely effect.

When I think about my favourite games as a child, three titles come to mind. Kid Icarus, EarthBound and Mario Paint. If it wasn't for Mario Paint, I'd have never gotten into graphic design or animation, so it did a lot for me. Apparently, it has done the same for others. You have Mario Paint to thank for popular sites like Home Star Runner or VGDC.

Anyways, I feel it deserves a stage. Here's a video recording for those who don't understand what I'm talking about;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D6rmuqcDQ8

And yes, I have the original game so these screenshots are legitimate.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I like it.

But Totaka is working on Brawl, and I want his song hidden well.

Hong

The Strongest
I like it.

But Totaka is working on Brawl, and I want his song hidden well.
I know that the Totaka song being well hidden is a tradition, but I think an exception has to be made to stay true to the original design. They could just take the song out to hide it somewhere else in the game, but it wouldn't feel the same. :/

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
I think you should let the credits roll but use them as platforms that would be sweet like the rest of this stage is! Boy does this take me back.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I like this stage a lot, very nicely done Lunadis. It's not too complex and it adds variety to the stages we've gotten. Just a question though, will the cursor click each letter randomly, skipping from maybe the M to the T and what are the intervals that there would be between clicks?

Hong

The Strongest
I think you should let the credits roll but use them as platforms that would be sweet like the rest of this stage is! Boy does this take me back.
Perhaps. It'd also be cool if the credits were breakable like the bricks in The Mushroom Kingdom.
And we can have Banker attack!!!
xD Haha. I wonder if they'll fit Banker into Brawl some how.
i dont understand?
What's left to understand? The cursor floats around in the background and clicks a letter. Each letter has different effect, just like the title screen of Mario Paint. I apologize. I guess I should make it clearer.
I like this stage a lot, very nicely done Lunadis. It's not too complex and it adds variety to the stages we've gotten. Just a question though, will the cursor click each letter randomly, skipping from maybe the M to the T and what are the intervals that there would be between clicks?
That I do not know. I'd kind of like it to be random, with T being the most likely and 30 seconds between each letter. I need help here. :p

Thanks for your feedback so far.

IllidR

Smash Champion
That I do not know. I'd kind of like it to be random, with T being the most likely and 30 seconds between each letter. I need help here. :p

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Ya, I think it'd be good if it picked each randomly, with the T being the most likely choice. And i like the idea of the scrolling credits as platforms and breakable. Also, maybe it'd be 25 seconds between each letter and if some of the effects are longer there can be more than one active at a time. And just another idea to make this stage get a little more hectic, as time dwindles down, say in the last one to two minutes, or when the player reaches one to two stock the time between each click could be reduced to 20 or 15 seconds.

Hong

The Strongest
I edit it a few things in there. Thanks for the ideas!

I'll get screenshots of the credits when I get back from a banquet. I'll also see if I can Fraps the title in action to give a better idea to those who are confused.

Hong

The Strongest
Okay. I'm home now. I updated the letter 'N' and I'm in the process of uploading a demo of the title screen.

Edit - Video online. :D

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
As creative as this stage is lets face it, Sakurai wouldn't put this on the game, for he doesn't think "outside of the box." He's more of a traditionalist rather than a liberal Smash game developer. And if he does do a little redecorating for some of the Brawl levels, he hasn't done anything to "wow" me. Nope nope nope.

Hong

The Strongest
As creative as this stage is lets face it, Sakurai wouldn't put this on the game, for he doesn't think "outside of the box." He's more of a traditionalist rather than a liberal Smash game developer. And if he does do a little redecorating for some of the Brawl levels, he hasn't done anything to "wow" me. Nope nope nope.
Pokémon Trainer? :p

When I look at Mr. Sakurai's history, I find that he's much more creative than I am. I could have never come up with something like Kirby or Meteos. Since he's more creative than I am, I hope that he also has the ability to generate stage ideas as easily as I can. It's also the fact Banker can't make it into Brawl. I mean, there's not much else you can do with Mario Paint that represents the game well. :p

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
This stage would be awesome.
However, I think Sakurai tends to be too creative, preferring to use his own ideas rather than pull stuff directly from games. Ahwell...

Hong

The Strongest
Wow! As soon as I saw that Pictochat stage update, the first thing I could think of was this thread. While I completely doubt I in any way had any affect on this (since the stage was probably done months ago), it's at least good to know we're getting the next best thing.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
we had a DS stage,why not Mario Paint,but not the title screen.The drawing board,where the music from the music sequencer makes the songs

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
What I would like from Mario Paint, is the robot bee boss from the game included in MP as a boss.

Top Bottom