• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Generator Shaft (NO UNMARKED SPOILERS!)

Darkurai

Smash Master
From the Ridley Battle from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (which is an awesome game).

The Meta-Ridley battle in Corruption is one of the most memorable moments in the entire history of the Metroid franchise. It's a complete free fall down the shaft of a power generator.

Here's how it would work in Smash.

Sakurai said that he wanted more emphasis on aerial combat, and this would be the perfect stage for it. No ground. Just a fall. The Shaft would be wider than it is in Corruption. Since it's an endless fall, you obviously can't die from the bottom or the top. Instead of jumping, crouching, and walking, you move around through the air, similar to how Samus does in the boss fight. In Corruption, touching the wall hurts Samus (since she's basically scraping against metal going 9.8 Kilometers per second (although it doesn't seem to be going that fast in the game since if it was, you'd reach the bottom faster than you actually do). In Brawl, you would be attempting to build up the damage enough to be able to knock someone else into a wall. Hitting the wall going down at such a speed could destroy them (the only reason Samus survived was because of her power suit), so it's a fitting way to get a KO.

In a timed match, you could land at the bottom of the shaft just as the battle ends, in an homage to landing at the bottom in Corruption.

AND REMEMBER: PLEASE NO UNMARKED SPOILERS TO METROID PRIME 3. I'VE NOT YET FINISHED THE GAME.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
err, I think this would be better for a Boss Stage in the Subspace Emissary :p
It seems that the only way to get a KO is to hit the walls on the sides - I'm assuming a similar fashion to making fighters hit the road in Big Blue from Melee - but at least in Big Blue, you had the skies and the sides to do the more familiar KO. This stage seems too...restrictive.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Or, if they hit the wall, they become stunned and stuck to the wall for a moment , so if you're stuck to the wall for too long you get KO'd.

2azn4u

Smash Rookie
err, I think this would be better for a Boss Stage in the Subspace Emissary :p
It seems that the only way to get a KO is to hit the walls on the sides - I'm assuming a similar fashion to making fighters hit the road in Big Blue from Melee - but at least in Big Blue, you had the skies and the dies to do the more familiar KO. This stage seems too...restrictive.
It's quite easy to escape death after coming in contact with the road in Big Blue by jumping up...anyway there's a section of the Fire Emblem castle level with a free fall!!

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
It's quite easy to escape death after coming in contact with the road in Big Blue by jumping up...anyway there's a section of the Fire Emblem castle level with a free fall!!
So on the sides, you'd jump away from a wall? I don't see how this could work...and yes, I look forward to the Castle Siege freefall :p

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If all the characters don't fall the same speed this wont work. And what if sombody like Kirby, Pit, Metaknight, Peach, Samus, or Jigglypuff want to stay up. Nobody would be able to fight again.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
With the action replay, you can turn on "Infinite Jumping" and "Wild Ride" cheats and battle in a large black space with no ground. It defnintely led to some very interesting battles.

Don't think a stage like it would work without infinite jumping though, because what would happen after air dodging or up+b-ing?

Darkurai

Smash Master
If all the characters don't fall the same speed this wont work. And what if sombody like Kirby, Pit, Metaknight, Peach, Samus, or Jigglypuff want to stay up. Nobody would be able to fight again.
Imagine the actual battle from Prime 3. It's not like they'll be falling like that. They'll be falling at the same speed to simulate the feel of the Ridley Battle.

With the action replay, you can turn on "Infinite Jumping" and "Wild Ride" cheats and battle in a large black space with no ground. It defnintely led to some very interesting battles.

Don't think a stage like it would work without infinite jumping though, because what would happen after air dodging or up+b-ing?
You severely misunderstand.
You're in the air. You can move freely on the screen up, down, left and right. There is no jumping, really. And since there'd be no ground, they'd make it work so that the air dodge doesn't completely remove your ability to fight until you're attacked.

So on the sides, you'd jump away from a wall? I don't see how this could work...and yes, I look forward to the Castle Siege freefall :p
That's not freefall. You can still 'stand', and while it is happening the stage is basically an invisible flat, continuous walk-off platform.

Darkurai, I like your idea. I actually thought of it also (but without walls, just the background wall) with the exact same mechanics, but you beat me to it. :)

courte

Smash Lord
man i've totally got a way to corrupt your concept even though i completely love it

every minute or some of falling you touch ground on a very unsturdy platform with lights and switches. One switch can be hit and it will start to rise fast, another switch will make it start to fall fast another one will simply cause it to collapse and slowly speed up the falling and another switch would cause a huge explosion that would cause you to fall fast again, propelling you downward. And lastly a mysterious button which does nothing on each side

in homage to your don't touch the walls concept, how about randomly placed elevator platforms on walls, on the sides and i dunno ONE on the middle wall somewhere that rarely ever shows up. that way if the vulture somehow thinks it's a good idea to sit to the side but not touching the wall, that platform will quickly make short work of them, and elevators on the sides sometimes traveling faster than you in any random direction, so you have a chance to escape but not long before it pushes you down or up off of the screen

The platforms have holes in them so lucky ko's would happen that way, but on top of that, the mysterious button i mentioned above?? it would appear rarely as well, because it would completely collapse one side of the wall making for a big hole for a really long drop. ko's!!

That's not freefall. You can still 'stand', and while it is happening the stage is basically an invisible flat, continuous walk-off platform.

Darkurai, I like your idea. I actually thought of it also (but without walls, just the background wall) with the exact same mechanics, but you beat me to it. :)
that was a demo of the game, so who's to tell what it'll be like in the end

that was a demo of the game, so who's to tell what it'll be like in the end
I'm to tell. Because you know what? You guys are taking this 'that was just a demo' nonsense way out of hand. Yes it was just a demo. But 95% of the stuff there is more than likely to be in the actual game as it was. Especially something as unimportant as that.

courte

Smash Lord
"I'm to tell"

had to rofl at that grammar all jokes aside, yes that was a demo, and it's perfectly fine for some of use to think that it will be different, and it's perfectly fine for you to think that it wouldn't everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the fact is that which comes from the horses mouth.

But im imagining that if there is a possibility this will be the last smash and i certainly hope not, that theyd but as much polish as possible, not so that we think greater of them. Sakurai knows we already LUV him. but as a statement to themselves, since this is a mostly brand new team, and they want to do thing right up the caliber of excellence of the series...

back on topic, your opinion in regards to the first half of my post pleasE??

Puffs

Smash Ace
"I'm to tell"

had to rofl at that grammar all jokes aside, yes that was a demo, and it's perfectly fine for some of use to think that it will be different, and it's perfectly fine for you to think that it wouldn't everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the fact is that which comes from the horses mouth.

But im imagining that if there is a possibility this will be the last smash and i certainly hope not, that theyd but as much polish as possible, not so that we think greater of them. Sakurai knows we already LUV him. but as a statement to themselves, since this is a mostly brand new team, and they want to do thing right up the caliber of excellence of the series...

back on topic, your opinion in regards to the first half of my post pleasE??
It's not perfectly fine if it's stupid.

courte

Smash Lord
so ko's would be destruction and lucky attacks... what about characters with no high knockback air attacks??

orintemple

Smash Lord
I guess they would get the shaft. ;)

*sitcom audience laughing*
Lol that's so terrible it's funny.

I think this is a good idea as long as it had some tweaking. I think the whole " landing on platforms every so often would be a good thing to add. Even if it was that you landed on the ground floor but it was breakable like the floors in Pit's stage and then you kept falling through. This is a video game it doesn't need to be realistic we can have an endless chasm if we want.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Lol that's so terrible it's funny.

I think this is a good idea as long as it had some tweaking. I think the whole " landing on platforms every so often would be a good thing to add. Even if it was that you landed on the ground floor but it was breakable like the floors in Pit's stage and then you kept falling through. This is a video game it doesn't need to be realistic we can have an endless chasm if we want.
The one in Metroid Prime 3 was unrealistic too. You start at a bit over 1000 meters, but the gravity constant is (IIRC) 9.8 kilometers per second. Wouldn't that mean that you were supposed to hit the ground in less than a second?

I may be completely wrong, since I'm not taking science class this year.

The one in Metroid Prime 3 was unrealistic too. You start at a bit over 1000 meters, but the gravity constant is (IIRC) 9.8 kilometers per second. Wouldn't that mean that you were supposed to hit the ground in less than a second?

I may be completely wrong, since I'm not taking science class this year.
The Generator Shaft is 17,000 meters deep, not 1,000. That's roughly 45 times the height of the Empire State Building, so I'd say it would take you a few minutes at least to reach the bottom.

Also, air resistance would make you reach a terminal velocity eventually. And the planet was Norion, not Earth. It could be smaller, have a denser atmosphere, or a combination of both.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Absolutely right. Characters with the ability to glide or multijump, would, automatically, screw up the position of all the characters (if they are falling at the same speed), even if someone does an Up-B this will happen.

courte

Smash Lord
Absolutely right. Characters with the ability to glide or multijump, would, automatically, screw up the position of all the characters (if they are falling at the same speed), even if someone does an Up-B this will happen.
right right right that would completely change how the characters work if there was no floor and just falling segments, as we all know mario has very little options after performing an up+b

he can either touch the ground, wall jump, or get hit to move again... so would he be free falling unable to able to attack until he's hit again after an Up+b or would he have to intentionally slam himself into the wall?? so many questions!!

Fast falling. Head towards the opponent. They'll have to attack you eventually if they want to get anywhere.

Top Bottom