• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini WWYP 3 -- The (not so) Human Element

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Don't relax quite yet, friends! The next Write With Your Power contest is already being announced!

There was a tie for first place in the last contest! A slight change in the judging scale has been made to ensure that complicated ties don't bother us anymore -- each category will now be out of 10 points instead of 5.

Yeah, yeah. Now on to what you really want to read.

THE PROMPT:

Take something definitively non human and make it your central character. Your non-human does not have to be an animal -- it could be a clock who is incredibly obsessive about it's owner being punctual or a leaf that learns that one day it must fall to the ground below. It can be a monster, an alien, or a simple pet cat. Beware, however, for there is a difference between a conceit and a premise: your job is to make this nonhuman as human, as believable, and most importantly as normal as possible.

Interesting... and challenging, too!

JUDGES for Mini WWYP 3 are Tom and Virgilijus.

The grading rubric is still as follows:

Adherence to Prompt -10 points
Virgilijus - How interwoven is your story to the guidelines? If the prompt were a genre, could some one read it and instantly know the prompt was fantasy or satire? If they can, you followed it well. If not, you avoided it too much. Also, the prompt should be well utilized: a story that requires a mythical object should use it for all its potential worth, not merely mention it and check it off the list.

Matt - These points should be easy to earn. How well did you engage the guidelines? Did you engage them creatively? Did you engage them with your power? If I ask you to use a gun in your story, will you give me knife? Take risks, but don't disregard our basic expectations.

Tone - 10 pts
Virgilijus - The overall mood of the story; the feeling that you get when you read it. This is made up by the setting, characters, dialogue, and the imagery. Unless it is directed by the prompt, the tone for each story should be different, but they should all impact the reader. A good tone should get the reader immersed in the story, whether or not it is from blissful country sides or horrifying mad men. How real is your story in the readers mind?

Scav - Tone is made up of character (do your characters seem real? do they talk real? are they interesting), setting (Does your story have a sense of place? Of time? Are we always oriented?) and imagery (can we see what's going on?)

Style - 10 pts
Virgilijus - This is what separates your story from others of the same plot. How do you describe people, actions, and places? What rhythm do your words have? How quickly do you move the plot? Style is your paintbrush to show why your painting of little girl is different and more powerful than some one else’s.

Scav - The most technical of the categories. Did you use proper spelling and grammar? Did you try to push the envelope with your sentence structure? Did you construct the plot in a significant manner? This category relies heavily on phrasing and specifics.

Enjoyment - 10 pts
Virgilijus - Enjoyment is the immediate and long lasting appeal of your story. While we were reading it, was it a page turner? After we finished, did we sit and think about the theme or the final scene? Is your story an accomplishment, or just words with a beginning, middle and end?

Matt - An enjoyable story brings plot elements and theme and, frankly, everything listed above together in a way that is both memorable and engaging. We're talking about the WOW factor here, and these types of points aren't easy to earn.

RULES:

* Story must be between 1000-5000 words (penalty for going over or under will be whatever each judge deems fit, taken from Adherence to Prompt)
* Contest begins August 25th and ends on October 1st at midnight central time. That is a bit more than the usual month, so please no exceptions.
* No need to sign up! Simply create a new topic with the tagline [Mini WWYP 3] in front of it. For example: [Mini WWYP 3] - Willie the Wombat
* You have until the deadline to edit the story as you see fit, but your topic will be locked at midnight on October 1st to prevent last minute changes.
* Profanity is allowed! If you don't know how to censor dodge, pm one of the judges and he'll explain it to you.
* The judges have exactly one week after the contest ends to pick their favorites! Results will be posted by the 7th.
* No plagiarizing, of course. If you do, you may be banned as well as disqualified.
* You can only submit stories that have not already been published and even those that are unpublished. The idea is to write something new!
* One entry allowed per person.
* Judges cannot enter the contest. (Sorry Virgilijus)
* Judges absolutely cannot read or discuss any contest topic (whether amongst themselves or with contestants) until October 1st!
* ABSOLUTELY NO FAN FICS
* Write with your power. (Make Matt proud)

PRIZES:
1st Place -- New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
For a second I didn't recognize who you where and thought you just made your own contest and was trying to pass it off as being authentic.

I'll be entering it. Not my normal "I'll be entering", I actually will. I'll make sure.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Oh, is this the "Mini WWYP" thing that Virg told me about?
Ohhh, goody! I'm really gonna try for this one.

*Gives everyone the peace symbol...then flips it round the other way!*

I'm here to talk ya'll down!
..as soon as I read the rules and such.
*Begins to read*

Okay, rules read...so...A creature that isn't human? Anything but a good ol' homosapien?
Very good. Now, with the "Sweaing is allowed!" thing, does this cover all swears, and to all usuage counts?

I'm looking forward to this, I really am. But I must ask, why is it a 'mini'?
What's the diffrence to this and a 'normal' WWYP? They seem the same to me.

Ah well, when if I win, I shall give you all cookies for tryingto best a God!! :chuckle::p

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The mini WWYP's are competitions made by the populace of the Creative Minds (namely, the winner of the previous WWYP and other former winner's/placers) and while it has the mods seal of approval, they don't run it. WWYPs are run by the mods and are generally bigger competitions (higher word counts).

Also, as Tom said you can curse and censor dodge all you want, but do it wisely as too much cursing than necessary isn't favorable in the eyes of us judges :)

Blackadder

Smash Master
Oh! question Miss!! ...again.

Okay, so swearing is allowed, but no crazy "F**k you b*tch!" every 2 seconds. Easy.

Now, I have another question. The Protagonist cannot be human, but what about things in the grey area? A ghost? An elf? Hell, even a monkey?

These things that are close, or sort of human?
Are they allowed in the story as a lead?

(This prolly isn't what I'll write on, but still)

Blackadder

Smash Master
^^^
Dare I face DMP in a writing contest to the death?

Indeed I do. Remind me to dance on your funeral. (Jk, jk, you know I respect your skills)
And now I must brainstorm for ideas…
I’m really hyped about this. I’m aiming for at least 5th place. At least.
Well, actually, that depends on how many people enter.
But I would like to end up in the top 10 somewhere…

I really plan on doing some real writing for this one guys.
You ain’t seen how fast and hazardously this adder can strike…

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You know, I think I'll do the story from the bear's perspective

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'm going to enjoy submitting for this. I already have a bit of brainstorming and I'm enjoying writing this quite a bit.

And I have no doubt you guys will enjoy tearing into my stuff. Indeed, I expect it :D I'm quite the amateur when it comes to writing, and this seems to be a challenging prompt.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Yang, you failed to tell me this started. Next time I see you, you owe me $5.

I shall be entering this.

Florida

イーグランツ
This is the only WWYP theme that really caught my attention, I think I'll be participating. :)

Blackadder

Smash Master
I don't see how this is a mini-WWYP. The prizes are just as good as if it were a real one.

Why not just call this WWYP 6?
I noticed this also..
It's why I got confused over the difference between a 'mini' and a 'real'.

But I guess since it itsn't run by the mods, it is officialy a mini, no matterWHAT the prizes and whatnot, is the impression I got. :p

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Questions:

Does this have to be written in the first person?

Does the main object/animal/thing we're writing about have to be personified into a character?

&

Can we just write a story that centers around the thing? Such as a story about people who eat nothing but chocolate, and it's effect on the earth.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
While I want to say yes, I'll mark my opinion down as a no. The character is a protagonist, a lead player in the story; not just a lead prop. So yes, personify them. Give human characteristics and tendencies towards this most definitely non-human thing.

And unless the prompt states otherwise you never have to write your story from a certain point of view, i.e. first person or third person.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The difference between a WWYP and a Mini WWYP is supposed to be the prizes (and possibly the word count), so that mix-up was my error. I apologize to anyone was affected by the incorrect prizes. The prize for 1st place in a Mini WWYP is not set in stone, but normally has been admission into the Smash Writers group.

Another difference you may notice is that there are only two judges, who are both not moderators.

Sorry for the mix-up. But this prompt is too cool for school.

Yang, you failed to tell me this started. Next time I see you, you owe me $5.

I shall be entering this.

Haha, MM at G4S4 this weekend? Your anything vs. my Zelda/Bowser/Pikachu. Take your pick.

Handorin

Smash Hero
While this isnt really the right topic, I guess I accept. It just seems like a trap though. >_>

Blackadder

Smash Master
SIGH

Hey guys.
Yo.

So..you're not entering right Matt? RIGHT?
Give us little guys a chance man.. (;

Ehh, doesn't matter. I'm here to win this b*tch.
Ya'll are gonna be crying in your sleep when I strike!

Ahh...ego. If only it was all true, lol.
Seriously though, are you entering?

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
hey, shouldn't we sticky this thread, and unsticky WWYP4 Scores & Comments?

Just a suggestion.

P.S. I'm almost done with my mini-WWYP3 story

Matt

Banned via Administration
I don't plan on entering. No ideas for this. I'm much too self-interested to write from the perspective of anyone who isn't a thinly veiled me.

Oh wait! Maybe there's some sort of object that embodies the type of person that I am.

Ah, I've got it!

Is **** censored?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't know, I would suggest that people hold off on submitting their pieces. There's still a month until the deadline, and that's plenty of time to edit, revise and come up with a new and/or better idea. Plus, this is a competition, and you don't want to tip your hand too soon.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
There's a reason the topics aren't closed until the deadline

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Then why post it in the first place? All that does is tip the rest of us off to what you're planning.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Then why post it in the first place?
Constructive criticism, Jam! :) You're a skilled writer, you should be helping people when they post their rough drafts.

We need to look at this as more of a friendly contest than a competition.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Constructive criticism, Jam! :) You're a skilled writer, you should be helping people when they post their rough drafts.

We need to look at this as more of a friendly contest than a competition.
In the immortal words of P. Diddy, "I'm in it to win it baby!"

Nah, but seriously, good point. I'll get around to constructively criticizing soon.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Then why post it in the first place? All that does is tip the rest of us off to what you're planning.
This is a writing competition. There is no "rock-paper-scissors" approach. It's based on a skill. Either you're better then someone else or you're not. Everyone but you could have posted their story Day 1 completed, with you reading all of them, and your story would be the same as if you didn't. Think about what you say before you hand out your care packages and give everyone bad advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom