• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

im STILL losing to my brother...can someone help me

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
ok he's really startin to *bleep* ME OFF!!,ok as here my mains:fox,falco,G@W,and capt.falcon,and my bros.:shiek,marth,luigi,mario,but he doesnt use techs..im outta ideas to beat him,i tried SHLing(not sure if i do it right),techs roll,fall fall,short hops..im tired of being beat,he doesnt play melee much,ive been playing for about a year,i tried EVERYONE to beat these guys,but fail'd,my bro is getting bored of beatin me, so he puts items on..i tell him,"whats your secret",he claims he have no sercret,i might ask him to teach how to play like him,but,thats not me,i dont understand why he calls falco cheap,if he beats me 24/7..

can someone help me,teach me or somethin,this is rudicualous :ohwell:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As far as I can tell, the only reason he's better than you is he's not brain-dead. For all your talk about your brother's lack of advanced techniques (which don't really matter if you don't know how to apply them to your game right), you don't seem especially good at them yourself.

Saaah, and then there's the problem that your approach is unreasonably stupid. I already mentioned in one of your other 25 threads talking about the same thing that running at the enemy and always attacking the same way is not a clever or fast approach. It's just asking to get killed.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
What is yours and his stratergy(ies)?

Maybe if you told us what you normally try against him and what he does to counter it, I could help you.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Well your beaing a little vague, are there certain things he does a lot? Try and record a match and post it here, then we can see what you're doing.
well i have no cam...

ill tell you what he does

shiek:dash attack-roll back-dash attack-repeat.foward samsh-downsmash. downthrow-upsmash-upsamsh-repeat,until he knocks me out,he needles me,and prevents me from recoveringalot,ive tried sheild grabbing,i could never pull it off,lasers,didnt help either

marth:forward smash,lots of ariel combos,once im out the stage...im done for

luigi:how do i lose to him? i dont know,like f-airs ALOT,lots of ariel combos,fireballs alot too

link:not much of a problem,his,spining sword attack annoys me

my strateys:

falco: i like to dair,i downtilt when im in danger,i miss alot of shines,i spike alot but i miss them to often
combos:down throw,downtilt,downtilt,forward smash..

fox:i dont play him as much..his speed is useful,same as falco,shine is more hit often,i like to firefox ALOT when im enraged,which kills him alot'
strategy: smae as falco

c.falcon:i love the knee,and the diar,i dont play him much
strategy: discover combos

g&w: er, i like throwup,downtilt,diar..
strtegy:i have none now

SCOTU

Smash Hero
eye'm not dat dum

FastFox's Guide to posting and making threads in Melee Discussion

1b. We can't tell you how to beat your friend

- In the Melee Discussion, members take pride in being able to help out other members on any questions and concerns they may have in regards to the game. Questions such as, "I'm having trouble unlocking Final Destination", or, "What is the best way to beat event match __?", are perfectly acceptable, as they maintain the appropriate content to pop up in Melee Discussion, however questions such as, "MAH FREND HE PLAI DAT SHEIK HOW DEW I BEET HIM HE ALWAYZ USE NEEDELZ HOW?!23", are not. To be blunt, we have absolutely no idea how your friend plays, and you will most likely receive flaming for the horrible spelling and grammar. If you have a question in regards to character match ups, go to your character's specific board and ask there. An alternative would be to consult the All Characters Match-up Chart.
I Think you need to read the rules.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You obviously are terrible at shieldgrabbing.

You shield, and you press A while still shielding.

clowsui

Smash Legend
k, here's what you need to do with using falco...Disregard this if you're not willing to learn the Shine to an acceptable degree (be able to waveshine in both directions occasionally, jump cancel shines consistently)

shiek:dash attack-roll back-dash attack-repeat.foward samsh-downsmash. downthrow-upsmash-upsamsh-repeat,until he knocks me out,he needles me,and prevents me from recoveringalot,ive tried sheild grabbing,i could never pull it off,lasers,didnt help either

COMMENTS: Dash attack? Shieldgrab, there's no such thing as shieldgrab lag. When he's close to being done w/ the attack (you should know it well because he uses the fscking thing on you so much), press a and there ya go, grabbed. Jab him once or twice, downthrow, watch as he techs away, and or sits cleverly to attack while getting up, and laser him. Or you could just constantly laser him. If it never hits him, that's okay because the point is to apply pressure and to make him do a stupid mistake. As Forward says, don't be afraid to get hit to make an even better hit. The entire idea behind facing Sheik is applying constant pressure so that you can make good moves.

marth:forward smash,lots of ariel combos,once im out the stage...im done for

COMMENTS: DON'T FRIGGIN PANIC. lol i've lost so many times by panicking, no joke. ANyways, lasers and clever spacing will do you good here to avoid tippers. Use the shine on him, wd out of the way when he falls down and tries to use an aerial on you, and start comboing. just play defense with the lasers and then approach with timed and well spaced nairs/dairs. use the shine to set him up!

luigi:how do i lose to him? i dont know,like f-airs ALOT,lots of ariel combos,fireballs alot too

COMMENTS: I have trouble with luigi too...no advice, really.

link:not much of a problem,his,spining sword attack annoys me
COMMENTS: B-up? lasers.

falco: i like to dair,i downtilt when im in danger,i miss alot of shines,i spike alot but i miss them to often
combos:down throw,downtilt,downtilt,forward smash..
COMMENTS: learn shine. don't downtilt in danger, use laser! learn to spike well, seriously. gtfo if you can't use dair properly w/ falco to a decent level. less fsmash, more dsmash; but don't be too concentrated on smashes.
COMBO SETUP: Shine and SHL= amazing for setup. Jab works for certain combos. If you learn shine, dair helps.

fox:i dont play him as much..his speed is useful,same as falco,shine is more hit often,i like to firefox ALOT when im enraged,which kills him alot'
strategy: smae as falco
COMMENTS: Utilizing waveshining is excellent against all of his characters. just dash dance a lot, don't be afraid to fullhop, use lasers as a taunt to set him up into bad moves, drillshine when under pressure. Fullhop nair is for some reason unbeatable. Utilize Fox's assets i.e. decent wavedash, great dashdance, great throws, great aerial potential and good setups (uthrow, nair, drillshine - usmash). Learn the godliness that is Uthrow - uair or usmash. Don't play the same as Falco.

brg

Smash Ace
Is he your older brother? Because if he is, he will always beat you.

brg

Smash Ace
but seriously i think you have the wrong mindset, you get too emotionnal, you panick
stay clam, play defensive as best you can, use spacing: make HIM move to your advantage

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
The pain of being the younger brother.

I suggest you videotape some of your matches with your brother, post them here and we'll tell you what you need to improve and what not to do. Is better to act like "what do I need to improve to get better at smash" instead of "how can I beat my brother".

teeman92

Smash Lord
The pain of being the younger brother.

I suggest you videotape some of your matches with your brother, post them here and we'll tell you what you need to improve and what not to do. Is better to act like "what do I need to improve to get better at smash" instead of "how can I beat my brother".
maybe both,btw he's my little brother,im 15, he 13,he LOVES fighting games,and i like need for speed,...you sholud see him soon,his name is tyrin,with a marth avater

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Sheild grabbing and L-Canceling are pretty much the only things needed to beat this guy it seems. . . I don't understand what your doing wrong with shieldgrabbing, all you have to to is press L/R then A.

And L-Canceling should be pretty easy to learn, just practice SHFFL-Canceling Falco Dairs for 10 mins, and you'll have it. Thats literally all it takes, It was the first advanced tech I learned, and I consider it easier than shorthopping (which can be as tricky as hell to learn with chars such as fox).

Binx

Smash Master
you agai--nevermind..

then what smarter? i sometimes play like a coward, and laser,ive beaten link that way...
There is no such thing as playing as a coward, this is a scrub mentality, anything within the game is completely acceptable, there is a time for being offensive times for being defensive and times for running around to confuse your opponent, this will always be true, there is ONE true style that will incorporate all these aspects at the right times and not make mistakes, this is when you are really good and wont ever have to ask someone else for advice on how to beat someone that you can predict.

Stop sucking.

All jokes aside, some people are just better at Smash than others. You can't do anything about it if he's just better than you.
This is entirely untrue, all people can reach the same skill level, to improve quickly in anything you need to do effortful study, the best golfers in the world are not just better at golf, they learned at a young age usually, they like the game and they studied what they needed to do to get better, this can even be just playing alot while making notes on what works better and what doesnt work. People can spend 10 years doing the same thing in a gold game and never get better, why, because they dont really care to.

I Think you need to read the rules.
QFT

there nothing wrong with my spelling,ill fix em if you want,PLEASE dont close this..
Your mildly ********, no offense, if you had read scotu's post you would have read the entire thing, it had nothing to do with the spelling.

This is also very untrue, he has an advantage now, but if you work hard you can catch up, I would be willing to bet he has more experience in the game than you or a better mindset.

Sheild grabbing and L-Canceling are pretty much the only things needed to beat this guy it seems. . . I don't understand what your doing wrong with shieldgrabbing, all you have to to is press L/R then A.

And L-Canceling should be pretty easy to learn, just practice SHFFL-Canceling Falco Dairs for 10 mins, and you'll have it. Thats literally all it takes, It was the first advanced tech I learned, and I consider it easier than shorthopping (which can be as tricky as hell to learn with chars such as fox).
You dont need advance techniques to win, seriously just grab more and learn to crouch cancel and you will probably slaughter most noobs that play, just be patient, dont attack at every opening dont use the same attacks dont use laggy attacks unless you are sure they will hit, and grab a ton for free damage, laser spam, needle camp, it isnt cheap it is effective and once you are winning their only defense to this cheap tactic is to say why dont you stop playing so cheap, and your response should be why dont you learn to play the game.

~Binx out

Miharu

Smash Hero
Shiz beats his brothers all the time, and he's the youngest o.o

If you want to get better, teeman, go read some guides, and apply their advice to your gameplay. If you want some examples, go look at some vids. Then just practice; there's no way we can just tell you some easy way you can beat your brother.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
You want to know how to beat your brother? capture some vids of you playing (preferably against different people/ characters, with you using different characters), post them in vid discussion/ Firendlies, and let people critique your playing. Don't be offended by the "OMG learn to shfll/ SHL", just do it. Then take their advice, try to incorporate it into your game, and hopefully, you'll get better enough to beat your brother, which you shouldn't be posting "Need help beating SoandSo".

Smash Master
@ Binx. Some people will always be better at Smash than others. You can't train reflexes, and you can't train hand/finger size.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Lol if that's the case, sounds like your friends suck...

Watch, the next post will be his friend, asking for help on how to beat him.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
This is entirely untrue, all people can reach the same skill level, to improve quickly in anything you need to do effortful study, the best golfers in the world are not just better at golf, they learned at a young age usually, they like the game and they studied what they needed to do to get better, this can even be just playing alot while making notes on what works better and what doesnt work. People can spend 10 years doing the same thing in a gold game and never get better, why, because they dont really care to.

~Binx out

I agreed much with your entire post, save for this paragraph. Some people will always be more inherently skilled than others, naturally having faster reflexes etc. But I do agree that all people can get to although not the same, a SIMILAR level of skill, but due to natural disadvantages be inherently worse.

But everything else was 100% correct IMO.

ok,so i tried sheild grabing with falco,against shiek,i won without even trying..:confused:?:grin:

See, your improving already xD. Now you can truly see how bad this tactic really is, and hopefully own your brother constantly :).

Top Bottom