• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike: Special Moves

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
The official topic of tonights Update.
Looks like his recovery is very vertical, and much like Kirbys.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Looks cool, also eruption looks a lot like Marth and Roy's B move...

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
the inclusion of super armor bodes well for poor low teir bowser.

Fawriel

Smash Master
What interests me most about this update...

"He’s not flinching?!

He’s not really invincible – he still takes damage. But he won’t flinch in the slightest.

This time, there are several moves like this among the heavy characters, so watch out!"

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Ike = heavyweight...

Bowser and DK = Usable recovery, dammit!!!!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
At least Ike's heavyweight status is confirmed. Woo.

*is still bitter that Peach wasn't tonight*

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
If you look at the height of that recovery, thats almost a full Jump, Double jump, Bup height! All in one move? He's shaping up to have the highest recovery yet. It almost looks like you could get back to FD from off the bottem screen.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I want to see this done in mid air, how's he going to get up to his sword while he's falling?

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
In the picture with Eruption, he strikes the ground. Wonder how this would be used in the air..

Ash Hol

Smash Apprentice
Is eruption like roys bmove? does this mean roy will not return, and marth wont return/be the same? hmmmmm interesting. but what if he gets hit when he throws his sword up, will he have to go pick his sword up? (yeah right)

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
Is eruption like roys bmove? does this mean roy will not return, and marth wont return/be the same? hmmmmm interesting. but what if he gets hit when he throws his sword up, will he have to go pick his sword up? (yeah right)
It said he wouldn't receive any knockback while he throws the sword up. You know, the not flinching part.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I think the stage is just the DK Waterfall stage, and Eruption appears to be a move where you stab the ground to cause an explosion. Roy only did explosions at full charge.
That being said, it's probably like DK's ground slam in that it can't be used in mid-air.

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
I think the stage is just the DK Waterfall stage, and Eruption appears to be a move where you stab the ground to cause an explosion. Roy only did explosions at full charge.
That being said, it's probably like DK's ground slam in that it can't be used in mid-air.
Aww that's lame if you can only use it on the ground. Hate moves with certain conditions. Waste of a move.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
This update meant a lot to me. The addition of 'autoguard' (King of Fighters) or 'super armor' (Street Fighter vs. Marvel series) behavior is a very big deal, and should go a long way in helping solve the emphasis Melee placed on pure speed. It shows a lot of intelligence in the game design, and I hope it works out well for...well, all the heavy-hitters, really.

I'm also liking Aether in particular, and I'm moderately happy about Ike having what seems (or is it definitely...?) to be the same Charge-B move that Roy and Marth have. I can think of other moves I wanted instead, but this is still decent in my mind.

I'll be trying Ike out quite a bit when Brawl is released.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
I can see Eruption in air working like Marth/Roys B in air, the charge is there, only he swiped instead of stabbing.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
Talk about disjoined hitboxes...
Cool idea, but I'm excited to see how well it works.
Looks as if his up-b has very little horizontal distance.
Also, the whole thing about characters being resistant to knock-back is an incredibly awesome addition to the game. Bowser may actually be useful now.

kzee

Smash Rookie
He has great vertical recovery at the cost of poor horizontal recovery? I guess that's a fair tradeoff, but I'm hoping he has something like Marth's forward B to help with that.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Who cares if its like Kirbys recovery, Anyone mad that Samus and Sheik share a Uair? How about all the Cloned moves Falcon/Ganondorf, Pikachu/Pichu, Fox/Falco, Marth/Roy, Mario/Doc/Luigi share? Its simmilar, but in my opinion cooler :)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I think Aether looks like Aether to me. You know, the Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance move?

Hong

The Strongest
The real reason why he's immune to flinching at the start is because it'd be too complicated if Ike was hit and didn't catch his sword. Then they'd then have to program Ike without his sword. Just to clarify with people early on this thread, the immunity frames are only until he's holding the sword again. Since they did this with Ike, they'll have to do this with other powerhouses even though they won't run into such complications for the sake of balance.

I wouldn't safely assume Ike will be a god mode top tier yet. Sounds like a character you can pick on until you finally regret it. :p

Edit - I agree with the above. Aether is Aether. Final Cutter is Final Cutter. No need to demolish a character for similarities, especially when you have to make up the majority of the moves for Fire Emblem representitives.

It's close to the original, but will the landing blow still steal life? Who knows.

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
It seems highly likely that Marth and Roy won't be making a comeback, and instead Ike will be a kind of combination of the two.

If Marth was coming back, I think they probably wouldn't have chosen a newcomer than looked so similar in appearance to him. It also seems like Ike's eruption move is meant to be a semi-replacement to Roy's B move.

I think if they have another Fire Emblem character in the game, it probably will be someone with a very different play style; either a fast female or a really strong powerhouse.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
For everyone who is confusing Roy's B-move with Ike's, they aren't alike at all.

As you can tell from his knee touching the ground, his head, and the position of the SWORD, he is stabbing the sword into the ground like Link's Dair, and the flames are shooting up from the ground, hurting Samus and Bowser.

If anything, this move is similar to DK's Ground Slap.

Top Bottom