• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battlefield

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield was the first stage revealed to us. Right when we saw this stage, it was obvious that the Brawl stage would be beautiful and interesting.

Sakurai said:
There is one large platform with three pass-through platforms.
Despite its simplistic design, it gives birth to a wide array of strategies during battle.
Battlefield, like many other stages, can change from day...

To evening...

And to night.

Sakurai said:
You can brawl til dawn!
Whether or not other things change when the time of day changes is still up in the air. It seems that there would be more than the background changing from like this.

Battlefield may seem like a simple stage, but it will prove to be fun. It will surely be an ok stage for tournaments, so everyone should be happy.

Battlefield seems to be an easy stage to try out new moves, items, etc. because of its simplicity. Will Battlefield become the new stage for Training Mode?

This photo shows that there is plenty of room to jump back up to the stage.

The stage may seem small, but judging by this picture it will be easy and fun to have a brawl.

The Battlefield trophy from Super Smash Bros. Melee.

How do I feel about this stage?

I like the simplicity of the stage, because we will be able to focus on fighting. However, I am glad that the team has focused on the background and scenery; this shows that they are focused on making Brawl a great game.

More updates will come as I have more time. :)

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's Battlefield is a HUGE improvement over SSB64's and Melee's Battefield. First of all, it looks a bit bigger, second of all, it's MUCH prettier. The original Smash Bros. and SSBM's Battlefield were boring looking with a generic background. I like this more natural look with a prettier background much better.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Now people won't get Battlefielded since the Ledge isn't wierd. I like the backround, and the level overall. Bravo Sakurai and your team, Brawl is going to be an amazing game.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think that anything else will happen when the time of day changes at Battlefield? It seems that they wouldn't spend so much time on the background and that kind of stuff to make a feature that is only there to make the image change.

Hong

The Strongest
The Battlefield of old was indeed very dull. Seeing them give it a whole new light (literally) really made my day when the stage first appeared. One of the best stages only got better.
Do you guys think that anything else will happen when the time of day changes at Battlefield? It seems that they wouldn't spend so much time on the background and that kind of stuff to make a feature that is only there to make the image change.
The transition from day to night as actually pretty basic in the world of 3d design.

It's only cosmetic, I can assure you.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yup, probably only cosmetic, but it's awesome anyways.

I have a question, I've heard that the AC stage changes day and night with the Wii's internal clock, does this stage do the same?

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
I always thought that it changed periodically during battle, not dependent on the real time.

But only time will tell.
lol, bad pun xD :laugh:

Either way, the new Battlefield looks great, and if it's going to take them until December 3rd to finish this game you know they're spending a lot of time on it.

I wonder what the new Final Destination, if they decide to bring it back, will look like.

CPTNfalcon

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield looks like the perfect stage though i never liked the edge of it hopefully its easier for a character like fox to get back from under the stage

goateeguy

Smash Ace
what can i say? battlefield is battlefield. the only gripe i had with the melee one was that it was too small. i'm hoping they don't add any changes to the stage that come with the time of day (actually sakurai said there wouldn't be) cuz there are already a lot of gimmick stages in brawl. simple stages FTW!!!

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield always was one of my favorite stages, since it was perfect for a straight out fight, but it was more than one platform like final destination. I'll probably play on this one a lot since I hate having to deal with random enviromental hazards of DEATH. :rocket: Muwahahaha!

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Heh, just noticed that it features a sun dial in the middle to show off the changing daylight. Neat little detail. Looks like it's going to be a lot more fun than the Melee battlefield.

And since Yoshi's Island's time change only takes place throughout a few minutes, I'm going to assume this one does too until specifically told otherwise.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
The edge of the stage has a slight indentation as it moves down. do you think that will prove tricky at all? or am I just paranoid because I'm horrible at judging battlefield's ledge nowadays?

crispy 15

Smash Apprentice
i think this stage is going to be fun it normally would get boring after a while but it changes so it well be a good stage

shadowcontroller

Smash Apprentice
I think the Battlefield is a good stage, it's simple but you can have good battles there.
The new version of the Battlefield is nice, an the effects are great.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
Just thought I would add an imput

Same location, different time of day. The backround looks the same, but so different, it truly is amazing

Anyone on wether this will be gradual or almost an instant change? (If not using internal cloock) Like would it go from day to night in a few seconds or over a minute gradually get darker?

This picture makes it look like it is gradualy changing

However, in most pictures we see it during the day, which could work on the Wii clock, becase obviously they would work during the day

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
_____I like it a lot more than the old battlefield, and with all the tether recoveries it might not have as much unfair gimpage as before! I hope that with the changes to the boundries ( How low it is) that they have also made it farther out to the sides. I always felt that good recovering characters got it bad, because the characters that couldn't recoverd could kill them just as easy as they are killed. But if it goes out that far you have a lot of time and options. Actually a stage that I won't ban every time now ^-^

Good thread.

Relean

Smash Cadet
The new Battlefield looks very detailed and beautiful.

It will probably end up being one of my favorites.

Mama

Smash Ace
unless they come out with another FD, battlefield will be the best stage for finding out who realy is the best at ssbb period.
Not really. I think a level with diversity would serve better. Players that can adapt to changing situations and don't blame the level for "moving too much" (Pokemon stadium) are the players that are really good.

Empty and flat doesn't always mean fair. Some characters are comboed easier than others in a flat empty level while others thrive there.

That said I think that Battlefield will be one of the stages I play in most. It looks great and will always remind me of how long I waited to play the game.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield is one of my favorite stages right now, it's simple yet gorgeous, it does offer a lot of strategies and looks mindblowing. ever since day one i've loved it!

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Not really. I think a level with diversity would serve better. Players that can adapt to changing situations and don't blame the level for "moving too much" (Pokemon stadium) are the players that are really good.

Empty and flat doesn't always mean fair. Some characters are comboed easier than others in a flat empty level while others thrive there.

QUOTE]

i will concede that FD may have provided unfair advantage for some chars, but battlefield really levels the playing field in my mind. sure a long reaching char like marth can control the bottom, but he can't perform many moves fast enough to leave all his weak spots open. soon enough someone can get down and SHL spam or knee him or something, and then it's a relatively easier ledgeguard/ kill due to the small boundaries and annoying ceiling the bottom of the floor makes.

this is just a series of conclusions i've pulled together from my indirect experience, i've never played in a tourney or anything, so it may be flawed beyond reason, but i do know that some of the areas in pokemon stadium provide nasty advantages like no tech room for infinite combos. i have always played grudge matches on FD or battlefield, so correct me if im wrong.

Panduh

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that the stage is Ruin like,
instead of machine like
in the last game.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
Yup, probably only cosmetic, but it's awesome anyways.

I have a question, I've heard that the AC stage changes day and night with the Wii's internal clock, does this stage do the same?
Battlefield changes within a 30 second period only the AC stage runs of the Wii's internal clock

Top Bottom